• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Also Florida. It’s really odd how every county has their own rules.

our beaches and libraries are closed. Parks are open and they’re flooded. Beach closed? Fire up the boats.

Roads are definitely not as busy around

social distance? Seeing people BS at the gas stations, grocery stores, etc within a foot or so. Nobody is wearing masks except for the random old Asian person.
WHich part of florida are you in? I'm seeing people wearing gloves and masks at the grocery stores, etc. Espacially old people. On the other hand, The Asian markets in the plaza in my neighboorhand haven't lost much business at all over this time. It's def not just other Asians shopping in them too

Airbus Jr

Banned
Doom Eternal Collectors Edition Helmet
images

Regret myself not picking this up earlier

Could be usefull for this situation when everyone is running out of mask

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
There are conflicting reports on the usefulness of masks. I know masks will do little to protect you, it's mostly washing your hands and social distancing, but I hear they go a long way to protect others from someone who's infected. Wouldn't it be a huge help if everyone wore masks? The factor(index??) of contagion would go down several points. It definitely wouldn't hurt.

womfalcs3

Banned
There are conflicting reports on the usefulness of masks. I know masks will do little to protect you, it's mostly washing your hands and social distancing, but I hear they go a long way to protect others from someone who's infected. Wouldn't it be a huge help if everyone wore masks? The factor(index??) of contagion would go down several points. It definitely wouldn't hurt.

The fear was if everyone sought masks (let's say once per day on average), the demand would overwhelm the supply, making masks supply-constrained. Those who are sick or are dealing with sick people (doctors, nurses) would have a hard time getting one.

Papa

Banned
The change in daily confirmed infections yesterday was higher than the previous high. BUT... Italy's cumulative cases curve is already flattening.

vMBhj33.jpg

ok

Who made this Calibri-riddled graph? Tell them to take a 2 minute Youtube tutorial on graphing in Excel.

What the hell is the y-axis supposed to be anyway? Plot the raw daily total. The rate of change will be clearer from that.

Last edited:

Banned
WHich part of florida are you in? I'm seeing people wearing gloves and masks at the grocery stores, etc. Espacially old people. On the other hand, The Asian markets in the plaza in my neighboorhand haven't lost much business at all over this time. It's def not just other Asians shopping in them too

Florida Panhandle

It would, but the reality is we do not have enough for everyone.

holygeesus

Banned

The primary way this virus is spread is through droplets in coughs and sneezes. Of course masks are going to help prevent transmission. They haven't even been able to reliably confirm that surface transmission is even possible at this point. That is still a theory.

Buy a mask.

I am also reading that it is believed the virus can also live longer in recirculated air, which is why these cruise ships are such a Petri dish for the bug.

Also - what the hell America? You have beyond ridiculous rates of infection and you *still* haven't enforced a nationwide lockdown? Sort it out.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
But China said they had 0 cases.

BNO must be racist
China was very transparent that a week into the crisis, they were only testing those with more serious symptoms that required hospital care. Everybody else was sent home when they tried to be tested, because there simply were not enough tests available to test everyone. So the 80.000 you see are comparable to the 50.000 in Italy that are either dead or currently in hospitals.

Thing is, all data is wrong. The Italian data only counts people that died in hospitals. While in towns the death rates are five times higher than normal, just they are not diagnosed and die at home. The US data is limited by the amount of tests. The German data is limited by who they test. The whole of this crisis can only be seen in a couple of years, when you take a representative sample of your population and test them for antibodies. I suppose those tests will find that 90 % of the population had the virus.

Teslerum

What a freaking joke WHO is... :(

Eh, to be honest, I don't care about that whole airborne discussion anymore.

Especially since I have no frickin' idea what airborne even means anymore. That range has somehow ended up from *Stays a short time in the air at a very specfic spot* to *Stays for days and can travel large distances*.

I mean seriously. What's the fucking definition here? The only thing I know is stay quite a bit away from people and avoid buildings and narrow pathways. Because every study seems to say something different.

Last edited:

GHG

I was able to get some hand sanitizer. It was over 60% alcohol like CDC recommended. As long as you're over 60%, you're good right? I noticed Purell was 70% and the one I got which is a different brand is 63% so I don't know if it will be as effective.

Yeh over 60% is what you need for it to be effective against this virus.

Fair warning though, go with a well known and trusted brand if you can (even then you still can't be 100% sure) because they've caught some manufacturers lying about their advertised alcohol percentages here:

s98q4sfpbup41.jpg

Last edited:

darkinstinct

Italy's cumulative infections curve is (hopefully) approaching its maximum. Data source: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

EUgKbAyXsAAqgTd
China more than tripled the cumulative numbers from the peak of daily new infections to the end. Peak China (total numbers of new infections) was the 4th of February, roughly two weeks after the complete lockdown. By the end of February they had gone from 24.000 to 80.000. Peak Italy (total numbers of new infections) was on the 21st of March, roughly two weeks after the complete lockdown. They were at 53.000 at the time. If they take the same curve as China (like they did until now) they will end up with 170.000 to 180.000 total infections.

Peak daily deaths in Italy were a week after peak daily new cases, again, exactly the same as in China. Extrapolating from that the total number of deaths in Italy will be between 22.000 and 25.000.

More worrying are the numbers from the US. They will reach their peak of daily new cases in around a week and will be at around 500.000 cases by then. That number will triple until the end to 1.5 million. The US health system is comparable to the Italian one - with the added malus that US citizens are much more obeze (Italians are among the slimmest of Europe) which seems to be a huge factor in how your immune system can cope with Covid-19. Couple obesity, strong smoking, a bad health system, lack of insurance and you have a recipe for disaster. Death rate in the US is going to be worse than Italy, which sits at around 12 %. I can see 15 % to 17 % of the US infected die from the virus, that would be up to 255.000 people.

And that's just the number of diagnosed people. If Italy is the bar, there will be four times as many Covid-19 deaths that just didn't get diagnosed. That's more than a million dead in the US alone.

Last edited:

eot

Banned
More worrying are the numbers from the US. They will reach their peak of daily new cases in around a week and will be at around 500.000 cases by then. That number will triple until the end to 1.5 million. The US health system is comparable to the Italian one - with the added malus that US citizens are much more obeze (Italians are among the slimmest of Europe) which seems to be a huge factor in how your immune system can cope with Covid-19. Couple obesity, strong smoking, a bad health system, lack of insurance and you have a recipe for disaster. Death rate in the US is going to be worse than Italy, which sits at around 12 %. I can see 15 % to 17 % of the US infected die from the virus, that would be up to 255.000 people.

And that's just the number of diagnosed people. If Italy is the bar, there will be four times as many Covid-19 deaths that just didn't get diagnosed. That's more than a million dead in the US alone.
The US is hard to predict, because there are no proper nation wide measures, with states like Florida still doing basically nothing. Hopefully the lower population densities will mitigate the outbreak in other areas that have been slower to act.

Well guys, I honestly don't know how am I gonna get through this. I don't about your countries, but in mine, we have forced lockdown. So it's not suggested by the government it's mandated. You gotta stay in your house and you can go to work/go for groceries in your local place. You can't go to a different town unless you have a pass. Nothing works except grocery stores. And it ain't fun. You have no fucking rights and you're locked in your house like a god damn animal. Honestly, I'd rather die from the virus then to be locked up. I feel like a pig or a chicken in a cage.
And there's nothing good coming out of this. When this shit ends the economy is gonna be butchered so people have nothing to look forward. There was initial fear of the virus but now I can feel people are getting angry. There's a riot brewing. Soon. I can feel it.

betrayal

Banned
Well guys, I honestly don't know how am I gonna get through this. I don't about your countries, but in mine, we have forced lockdown. So it's not suggested by the government it's mandated. You gotta stay in your house and you can go to work/go for groceries in your local place. You can't go to a different town unless you have a pass. Nothing works except grocery stores. And it ain't fun. You have no fucking rights and you're locked in your house like a god damn animal. Honestly, I'd rather die from the virus then to be locked up. I feel like a pig or a chicken in a cage.
And there's nothing good coming out of this. When this shit ends the economy is gonna be butchered so people have nothing to look forward. There was initial fear of the virus but now I can feel people are getting angry. There's a riot brewing. Soon. I can feel it.

Here in Germany it is quite manageable. You are allowed to go out for shopping, work and also to go for a walk in your neighbourhood.
I don't know anybody who has problems with that and i know a lot of people just because of work (everybody has to work from home) and my closer environments. That something like riots will happen in the near future, that's not something that will happen here in germany, in my opinion.

I think it is often also a matter of attitude of the people. Who lives more alternative (I don't want to judge that) and has problems with the separation of powers and the state in general, for these people it is of course a great opportunity to reinforce their ideology.

Of course, your own life situation also plays a role. If you have a solid life and your joy of life, motivation and energy do not only come from the external world, then even a lockdown of several weeks is no problem. Sure, it's better without lockdown, but for most people it's no problem and many can even enjoy having more time for their children, family or hobbies.

Edit: What I can understand of course is when you have no or less income due to the situation. Fortunately this is a topic that I or my partner don't have to worry about. But even then I don't think that's a reason for unrest, at least here in Germany.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

Work on your backlog. You'll never get a chance like this again. Grow a beard. Grow your hair long. There are many opportunities in this crisis, you just have to take them. I chill on my balcony if I want to go outside. I have video calls for my social needs.

Work on your backlog. You'll never get a chance like this again. Grow a beard. Grow your hair long. There are many opportunities in this crisis, you just have to take them. I chill on my balcony if I want to go outside. I have video calls for my social needs.
I enjoy games and movies,, sure, and I spend a lot of time inside the house, but I still like to go out.
Is corona worth giving up your rights? Living in a police state? Honestly, I don't even believe this shit is real. And there are things fishy here.
You remember the whole migrant crisis in Europe? Since Corona started, nobody even asks where these people are? Not a single article about that. You honestly think they went back where they came from?
I somehow doubt that. We don't even know what's happening while people are inside? Who knows what they're doing.

Alx

Here in Germany it is quite manageable. You are allowed to go out for shopping, work and also to go for a walk in your neighbourhood.
I don't know anybody who has problems with that and i know a lot of people just because of work (everybody has to work from home) and my closer environments. That something like riots will happen in the near future, that's not something that will happen here in germany, in my opinion.

I don't think there's a rebellious mood in France either (which is quite the statement actually). Well some workers are unhappy with the safety of their working environment but things are done to accomodate that.
I do fear the psychological effect of lockdown though. Some people seem to handle it better than others, but for those who don't may be depressed in the end. A rise in home violence, suicides or alcoholism is to be expected.
The younger population living in big cities may be especially exposed, since they usually live in tiny rooms that were meant to be a place to crash at night, not your whole living environment.

jts

...hate me...
Maybe when medical staff is sufficiently wasted and reduced, hospitals can start taking volunteers to be in the frontline of the disease helping out with nurse work and whatnot, keeping busy those that can't stay inside and aren't afraid of the disease. That would be a win-win.

Maybe when medical staff is sufficiently wasted and reduced, hospitals can start taking volunteers to be in the frontline of the disease helping out with nurse work and whatnot, keeping busy those that can't stay inside and aren't afraid of the disease. That would be a win-win.
That's actually not a bad idea.

Reactions: jts

Alx

You remember the whole migrant crisis in Europe? Since Corona started, nobody even asks where these people are? Not a single article about that. You honestly think they went back where they came from?

If you're thinking about the Greek-Turkey border incident, it's actually not far from what happened. Turkey is taking them back to Istanbul because they didn't want to create a contagion node.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Sweden’s already doing this with redundant airline personnel.

Reactions: jts

Kazza

And there's nothing good coming out of this.

I already went through a 6+ week quarantine in China, and I can tell you, good things can come of this:
- I had the time to play guitar every day, and have become much, much better (something I've wanted to do for a long time, but kept making excuses about)
- learnt how to make around 10 new dishes (all restaurants closed)
- played games, watched movies, read books that I have wanted to do for ages, but never had the time to
- I've been sleeping much better than ever before - asleep within around 30 seconds of my head hitting the pillow at around 11pm, and then awaking naturally at around 6am
- feeling relaxed and chilled, probably due to the simplified quarantined lifestyle (this was probably a factor in my sleeping so well too)

One thing I regret about my time in quarantine:
- not exercising enough and putting on around 4kg as a result - exercise people!

We're only in semi-lockdown now (gym just opened today for the first time in 2 months, most shops and restaurants now open), so don't stress, it'll be over before you know it. Try to set some goals and enjoy all the downtime you are going to be getting.

eot

Banned
Kinda wild that the number of new reported cases worldwide yesterday was comparable with the total number of cases reported in China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom