• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already went through a 6+ week quarantine in China, and I can tell you, good things can come of this:
- I had the time to play guitar every day, and have become much, much better (something I've wanted to do for a long time, but kept making excuses about)
- learnt how to make around 10 new dishes (all restaurants closed)
- played games, watched movies, read books that I have wanted to do for ages, but never had the time to
- I've been sleeping much better than ever before - asleep within around 30 seconds of my head hitting the pillow at around 11pm, and then awaking naturally at around 6am
- feeling relaxed and chilled, probably due to the simplified quarantined lifestyle (this was probably a factor in my sleeping so well too)

One thing I regret about my time in quarantine:
- not exercising enough and putting on around 4kg as a result - exercise people!

We're only in semi-lockdown now (gym just opened today for the first time in 2 months, most shops and restaurants now open), so don't stress, it'll be over before you know it. Try to set some goals and enjoy all the downtime you are going to be getting.

Youtube PE with Joe Wicks amd get back into shape!

andrespi

Well guys, I honestly don't know how am I gonna get through this. I don't about your countries, but in mine, we have forced lockdown. So it's not suggested by the government it's mandated. You gotta stay in your house and you can go to work/go for groceries in your local place. You can't go to a different town unless you have a pass. Nothing works except grocery stores. And it ain't fun. You have no fucking rights and you're locked in your house like a god damn animal. Honestly, I'd rather die from the virus then to be locked up. I feel like a pig or a chicken in a cage.
And there's nothing good coming out of this. When this shit ends the economy is gonna be butchered so people have nothing to look forward. There was initial fear of the virus but now I can feel people are getting angry. There's a riot brewing. Soon. I can feel it.
I can feel you. In mine too, we have forced lockdown (Italy). The worst thing, here in my country you can't even go to work (unless it's part of essential work categories). most of my friends have lost their jobs, and the amount given (600 euro) is a joke and an insult. In theory the state has allowed short walks for physical activity around the house (no more than 200 meters from your own house), but my town mayor has decided out of the blue, to completely forbid it. So we are completely stuck in my town. The worst thing? Just the other day the town mayor posted a photo from her own giant garden with the hastag STAIACASA or translated: Stay At Home; easy for her to say when posting from her own giant single house with garden in the countryside and with a state job (while many of us are stuck inside a flat).

I don't even play games anymore by choice (with maybe the exception of 2 or 3 per year) and watch movies only occasionally, and this is really the worst. Without walks in the nature or anything, every morning I feel like dying inside; I even had trouble sleeping and doing anything around the house.

There have also been some riots in the south of my country and I am not surprised at all.

I really believe living like this is worse than being an animal in a cage and believe that living like this is not worth it, but unfortunately the majority of people in my town/country apparently prefers a terrible life of this locked 24 hours a day just out of fear for a virus, so there isn't much I can do. if I ever get the chance (considering that my country will soon be reduced to ashes economically speaking if they keep companies and activities in complete lockdown) and things will ever get back to normal, i will think about leaving this country and moving somewhere else where they understand that you can't stop living completely forever just out fo fear for something that might not even happen.

Last edited:

crowbrow

Banned
Israeli army demolishes clinic tents in Palestinian community

You won't find this in any major western news source of course.

betrayal

Banned
I really believe living like this is worse than being an animal in a cage and believe that living like this is not worth it, but unfortunately the majority of people in my town/country apparently prefers a terrible life of this locked 24 hours a day just out of fear for a virus, so there isn't much I can do.

It is not the fear of the virus, but the fear of losing a beloved elderly (Edit: or even some young) relative. Nobody wants to be able to say at the end, if they're standing at the grave of a deceased person, "Well, buddy, you're dead, but at least I didn't have to restrain myself for a few weeks."

For many people, this is a once-in-a-lifetime event. It's not about themselves, it's about the elderly and vulnerable. Maybe you don't know anybody from your circle who belongs to this group of people, but nevertheless everybody can make a contribution. Especially many younger people nowadays constantly talk about things like respect and compassion for people who need support. But when it comes down to it, when words have to be turned into deeds, then often only empty phrases remain.

Last edited:

Narasumas

Wouldn't that mean that no new infections?

That is unrealistic,

Note that even getting to linear, from exponential/polynomial is a big deal
No, that would mean no *increase* in new infections. If you still get new infections but the same amount every day...that’s linear growth.

cmon people.

Reactions: RSB

sinnergy

It is not the fear of the virus, but the fear of losing a beloved elderly relative. Nobody wants to be able to say at the end, if they're standing at the grave of a deceased person, "Well, buddy, you're dead, but at least I didn't have to restrain myself for a few weeks."

For many people, this is a once-in-a-lifetime event. It's not about themselves, it's about the elderly and vulnerable. Maybe you don't know anybody from your circle who belongs to this group of people, but nevertheless everybody can make a contribution. Especially many younger people nowadays constantly talk about things like respect and compassion for people who need support. But when it comes down to it, when words have to be turned into deeds, then often only empty phrases remain.
Not only that but there are relative young people with otherwise underlaying medical conditions which they normally can life with affected as well, Asma , reuma, slight cardiovascular defects are all in the risk category. Who knows some have conditions not diagnosed and not knowing ...

Mistake

Things seem to be getting back normal in Beijing, but restaurants are still take out only, theaters are closed, and schools aren’t open yet. I went out for a walk and rode the subway, so press F or avatar quote my ass (I’m asthmatic too btw)

Foreigners are no longer allowed into China, and I guess the quarantine was lifted on hubei province, but Beijing won’t allow them in, which pissed off the other neighboring provinces

Last edited:

holygeesus

Banned
It is not the fear of the virus, but the fear of losing a beloved elderly relative. Nobody wants to be able to say at the end, if they're standing at the grave of a deceased person, "Well, buddy, you're dead, but at least I didn't have to restrain myself for a few weeks."

Elderly? Not sure about other countries, but the average age of people being admitted to ICU in the UK, is currently 60. Half of those are dying. It isn't just killing elderly people. It is a myth.

nush

Things seem to be getting back normal in Beijing, but restaurants are still take out only, theaters are closed, and schools aren’t open yet. I went out for a walk and rode the subway, so press F or avatar quote my ass

Are they operating that registered rider app for the Beijing metro? Ironically China might be one of the safest places to be right now with the borders closed to foreigners. We've already come out the other side safely after two months of restrictions.

At least the brothels opened up again. Pressing F for Elektro Demon Elektro Demon

darkestdame

Banned
Imagine if Hillary had won and was president now.

FEMA 'Fun' camps for her enemies. for gun owners who refused to give up their arms. And many other groups.

She'd take her orders directly from the Chinese Communist Party. She'd make Barry (Obama) look like a saint.

As imperfect as he is, I'm glad we have Trump and not that raging bitch from hell.
Less people would have died for sure though.

andrespi

Yeah, I will go visit them and say: "hey buddy, now I'm a hobo, my whole savings are destroyed, I have been stuck inside my flat for 3 months like a caged animal (with all the health and mental consequences that this imply) and live in a country where 80% of young people (including the vulnerable ones we tried to save) are unemployed and most shops have closed down, but hey at least you are alive for a few more years because asking elders and people with severe preconditions to lockdown for some months would have been too much (if he isn't dead anyway for other reasons). Please enjoy your retirement monthly payment paid by me which I won't get ever".

And also please don't try to pass this few weeks discourse, because it won't be few weeks (already 3 weeks and half for me) and we know this will last a month more at least in my country.
But I guess I don't get it, since I don't really have close relationships with elders or other family.

Last edited:

Mistake

Are they operating that registered rider app for the Beijing metro? Ironically China might be one of the safest places to be right now with the borders closed to foreigners. We've already come out the other side safely after two months of restrictions.

At least the brothels opened up again. Pressing F for Elektro Demon Elektro Demon
I think Beijing is fairly safe since everyone did the 14 day quarantine (and still enforced for anyone coming into Beijing,) but since you can’t know the true numbers, I know I’m taking a risk every time I go out. The metro just uses the card or pass like always, but before you enter, your temperature gets scanned through an infrared camera. I really think Beijing freaked out, which is why they’re being strict. I still need a card and ID to get into the apartment community

Last edited:

womfalcs3

Banned
Spain will surpass Italy over the next couple of days in terms of new infections cases. Will surpass Italy some time thereafter in the death count.

Banned
I can feel you. In mine too, we have forced lockdown (Italy). The worst thing, here in my country you can't even go to work (unless it's part of essential work categories). most of my friends have lost their jobs, and the amount given (600 euro) is a joke and an insult. In theory the state has allowed short walks for physical activity around the house (no more than 200 meters from your own house), but my town mayor has decided out of the blue, to completely forbid it. So we are completely stuck in my town. The worst thing? Just the other day the town mayor posted a photo from her own giant garden with the hastag STAIACASA or translated: Stay At Home; easy for her to say when posting from her own giant single house with garden in the countryside and with a state job (while many of us are stuck inside a flat).

I don't even play games anymore by choice (with maybe the exception of 2 or 3 per year) and watch movies only occasionally, and this is really the worst. Without walks in the nature or anything, every morning I feel like dying inside; I even had trouble sleeping and doing anything around the house.

There have also been some riots in the south of my country and I am not surprised at all.

I really believe living like this is worse than being an animal in a cage and believe that living like this is not worth it, but unfortunately the majority of people in my town/country apparently prefers a terrible life of this locked 24 hours a day just out of fear for a virus, so there isn't much I can do. if I ever get the chance (considering that my country will soon be reduced to ashes economically speaking if they keep companies and activities in complete lockdown) and things will ever get back to normal, i will think about leaving this country and moving somewhere else where they understand that you can't stop living completely forever just out fo fear for something that might not even happen.

I wonder if we will see a migration to the burbs/countryside when this is all over.

I fortunately have a home with a very large yard. I can’t imagine being stuck in a flat/apartment like how I used to live in a major urban city.

betrayal

Banned
Not only that but there are relative young people with otherwise underlaying medical conditions which they normally can life with affected as well, Asma , reuma, slight cardiovascular defects are all in the risk category. Who knows some have conditions not diagnosed and not knowing ...

The first sentence i've wrote sounds a bit different, that's true, but I also wrote that it is about the old and vulnerable. Of course it is about all people. Young people can also die from it, although statistically speaking with a much smaller chance.

Elderly? Not sure about other countries, but the average age of people being admitted to ICU in the UK, is currently 60. Half of those are dying. It isn't just killing elderly people. It is a myth.

A few pages further back I had posted the average age of the dead. In South Korea, it was 74, which was the youngest. In most countries, the average age of the dead is between 79 and 81 years.
I don't think there is any evidence that it is any different in the UK. Even there the average age of the dead will be somewhere between 74 and 81 years. But of course, as already been mentioned, young people can also die from this. Nevertheless, selected anecdotes should not be given too much weight and the fact should be clearly stated that older people and people with pre-existing conditions are disproportionately more at risk.

PS: The average age of people admitted to the ICU in the UK may very well be 60 and if half of those are dying, you can be pretty sure, that 90% of the dead are older than 60.
That's just another good example of how much you can interpret into some statistics if you give them exactly this leeway. In my eyes, these are worthless statistics. But media and advertising of course take advantage of that.

Last edited:

andrespi

I wonder if we will see a migration to the burbs/countryside when this is all over.
Yeah, for me definitely yes. I don't know if I will ever be able to, but if I ever get the chance (from an economical point of view), I will be trying to move to somewhere in the countryside with large house and garden and nature around, in case sometihng like this happens again. Hard to say if I will ever be able to, but who knows.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
wSWfnDD.png

Is comparing these deaths to 9/11 the new Trump gotcha?

If there is any comparison its that China unleashed this virus and are terrorists which means we should invade Russia, overthrow their evil dictator and take their oil.

Honestly, I'd rather die from the virus then to be locked up.

Settle down. Get some perspective. Realize the privilege that you have right now to even be locked up inside and safe and healthy. Just picture the person on ICU slowly drowning in their own fluids and imagine how badly they would want to trade places with you right now. Appreciate what you have man, it ain't that bad. You'll get through it man.

And there's nothing good coming out of this.

This is a ridiculous thing to say, worldwide the numbers reflect the positive change that these stay inside and social isolation orders are having. Yeah there is good coming out of this, and when you stay inside YOU are doing your part too! /starshiptroopers

3uxg7z.jpg

Last edited:

llien

No, that would mean no *increase* in new infections. If you still get new infections but the same amount every day...that’s linear growth.

cmon people.
How would cumulative number of infections reach it's maximum, if there still is linear non-zero growth, cough.
Maybe you should re-check the original post.

MrMephistoX

Well shit just got a note from our building management that one of our neighbors has the virus. Are we fucked due to shared plumbing and central air? Not sure who or which floor or tower.

Liljagare

Nasty bit of a hidden article yesterday in Swedish news. We here in Sweden have alot of at home care for elderly, when the hospitals are full, which in Stockholm will probarly happen on the 7th, they will be put in charge to care for dying people that will be refused care and kept at home. A class on the web ie expected to give them the training.

:eek:

I think that is a group of employees that will go poof, it's a huge step to taking care of just dying people when you are used to elderly care imho.

(article is in swedish, but, https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/BRK34E/sa-ska-stockholm-hantera-overfulla-sjukhus--om-en-vecka)

After a bit of reflection, I feel this is, I guess, one way to do it, but I don't think they understand what they expect of the employees. I also wonder, how will they deal with relatives trying to take their sick family members to the emergency ward regardless?

Military or police up front to turn people away? I can only see this turning bad in a heart beat. It is also wierd how this article is sort of hidden and hard to notice, considering the content.

Wow, the trouble and strife just said that here in Slovakia, it's live on the TV now, they want to impose full martial law for three weeks - everything shut, and the army operating everything too. EVERYTHING. No country has gone this far yet. AND WE DON'T EVEN HAVE ANY DEATHS.

NPCs will be like, yeah man zero deaths means the government is right man.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Wow, the trouble and strife just said that here in Slovakia, it's live on the TV now, they want to impose full martial law for three weeks - everything shut, and the army operating everything too. EVERYTHING. No country has gone this far yet. AND WE DON'T EVEN HAVE ANY DEATHS.

NPCs will be like, yeah man zero deaths means the government is right man.

Holy shit. Are you sure it isn't apiril fools?

Holy shit. Are you sure it isn't apiril fools?

Nice one, I wish. They are also checking the marginalized minorities for infection first as they apparently don't obey the current lockdown we already have.

The gov want a complete blackout. Complete - no one will be allowed to leave their house at all unless the gov say so. They want to do it like that if your surname begins from A-D, then you can go to the shops. Then E-H the next day etc.

What the fuck is this? I should have bought some damn batteries for the Xbox if I knew I'd have a gun at my throat in Lidl.

Nester99

Nice one, I wish. They are also checking the marginalized minorities for infection first as they apparently don't obey the current lockdown we already have.

The gov want a complete blackout. Complete - no one will be allowed to leave their house at all unless the gov say so. They want to do it like that if your surname begins from A-D, then you can go to the shops. Then E-H the next day etc.

What the fuck is this? I should have bought some damn batteries for the Xbox if I knew I'd have a gun at my throat in Lidl.

You mean you should have prepared for the thing the whole world has been prepping and dealing with for 3 weeks?

Good call.

Liljagare

Well shit just got a note from our building management that one of our neighbors has the virus. Are we fucked due to shared plumbing and central air? Not sure who or which floor or tower.

Do you have a S-waterlock on the toilet, I assume you do? Safe, and the central air usually just evacuates air via the kitchen and bathrooms, doesn't pump it in, so should be safe too.

I live in a apartment house too, figure the elevator is the most dangerous place.. :eek: And everything you touch on the way out/in. And if someone sneezes on your route, it's unsafe for 3 hours. Doesn't feel ideal to live in atm, but if the looting starts, we're pretty safe high up, with several security doors between us and ground level.. :p

Thta's terrible. Sorry to hear how your Country is enforcing this.

I wonder if Russia will get even stricter as they will see this as a great idea. 😥😥

You mean you should have prepared for the thing the whole world has been prepping and dealing with for 3 weeks?

Good call.

No. We have been stocking, we also have organic home grown from many places, as do many people in Slovakia. Wifey even supports the governmental idea. I don't on principle (not that I know much on principle other than Orwell's 1984 and my gut feeling that this is not cool).

The two main problems are taken care of: loo roll *check* and haircuts *check* /s

Medical supplies are drying up. We hadn't been able to get a vital prescription for my kid's diabetes and had to buy privately. This shit sucks and, for a flu, this wasn't worth it.

Last edited:

Nester99

It’s interesting that different jurisdictions define “lockdown” in different ways. Our chief medical officer (bc) was asked why we are not on “lockdown” Like other places. Her response was “we have the same conditions (stay home unless essential work or grocery/medication) we just don’t call it lockdown”

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Sadly, this is not an April Fools joke.

j9CRxkf.png

You better start making that cash before bread costs $1000 dollars.
Low fossil-fuel prices will more than compensate. Well, at least for countries that have their own and don't have to import from ex-soviets.

That's because natural gas is one of the base ingredients for nitrogen fertilizer. Fracking in particular generates a huge excess, so countries who've embraced it are on the precipice of an agricultural boom.

MadAnon

Spain is England's retirement home.

Just like Italy, there are a LOT of old people there.
Aren't Canary Islands the actual retirement home? I read somewhere that a lot swedish retirees spend most of their time there. Basically living there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom