• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

bro you are absolutely free to deny science and join the others in the ohio street party -Enjoy!

Enjoy your summer in a FEMA camp.

EDIT: I'm not saying go out into a street party. But when even Walmart has a loud speaker in the parking lot with a pre-recorded messaging telling people how to line up to get into the right line to go into the right door, it's not hard to see what's going on. People are being conditioned.

Last edited:
This Chinese Communist Party Virus works like a billion tiny terrorists hi-jacking our cells and crashing them into other cells, inside people's bodies... billions of microscopic 9/11s !!!!!

jNE58I6.jpg

prag16

Banned
I bet a lot of these people didn't even go out much before the quarantine but now they're all like "don't tell me what to do".

It's like petulant children.
They didn't go out much beforehand, so that makes stripping rights so much more justified. Right on. -_-

Shai-Tan

Banned
I'm currently on day 13 from first symptoms and while it feels like my breaths are 80+% I guess more got in my lungs than I thought or the immune reaction is causing inflammation because when I walk around I feel very weak like my legs are spaghetti.

Since two days ago my feet and lower leg also feel slightly like when they fall asleep like from sitting too long without moving but i suppose it‘s possible I pinched a nerve or something sleeping in an odd position trying to keep lungs elevated (I remember last time I got pneumonia 4-5 years ago I was aspirating loads of drip in my sleep and mostly avoided that this time)

Kadayi

Banned

UK update. This guy does a good job with the figures

Honestly hard to see where the UK is going with this. Despite the lockdown, the growth doesn't seem to be getting any less and at least from what I can tell people are following the government guidance. That death rate isn't great either. Stay safe UK GAF.

I'm currently on day 13 from first symptoms and while it feels like my breaths are 80+% I guess more got in my lungs than I thought or the immune reaction is causing inflammation because when I walk around I feel very weak like my legs are spaghetti.

Since two days ago my feet and lower leg also feel slightly like when they fall asleep like from sitting too long without moving but i suppose it‘s possible I pinched a nerve or something sleeping in an odd position trying to keep lungs elevated (I remember last time I got pneumonia 4-5 years ago I was aspirating loads of drip in my sleep and mostly avoided that this time)

Glad to hear you're doing better and on the long road to full recovery.

Last edited:
If this really wasn't that big a deal, why do you think countries are tanking their economies because of it? Just for a laugh?

That's assuming that another economic crash wasn't coming.

This way we mitigate the damage. We reduce spending in areas that don't matter; Fast-food, pubs, sky sports, and the unemployed or 'furloughed' are given reduced wages, but still able to make mortgage/loan payments, or those payments are 'deferred'

Does anyone know why scientists say ordering out food shouldn’t be a concern because there’s no evidence it is transmitted via food?

Because if governments said "eating from restaurants is dangerous", 1000's of people would die of starvation and the supermarkets would be over-whelmed with panic buyers. The supply chain would have reached critical mass.

There's a good chance that COVD-19 is transferred or transmitted in/on/by food. Proof? Mcdonalds has shut down, voluntarily. Think about that. Mcdonalds has shut its' doors.

Last edited:

E-Cat

Nah, that's what his chart is showing. He's saying if we go back to normal and don't stay indoors after September it'll get worse. So he's saying stay in until the end of 2021.
It WILL get worse if we don't stay indoors until 2021. Whether or not that is feasible is another question.

Jonsoncao

Banned
By the way, there is actually an ethics-based philosophy from this "highly civilized" world that backs up my argument. It is called Utilitarianism.

Would you sacrifice 15 people to save a single person?
I am a Kantian, so I genuinely think those who hold the view of John Stuart Mill is a danger to the society.

eot

Banned

Tingling sensations in extremities is a symptom of hypoxia (oxygen deprivation)

Sakura

Honestly hard to see where the UK is going with this. Despite the lockdown, the growth doesn't seem to be getting any less and at least from what I can tell people are following the government guidance. That death rate isn't great either. Stay safe UK GAF.
How strict was/is the lockdown really? Weren't people still riding full trains in London for example? Not sure how well you can stop the spread like that.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

UK update. This guy does a good job with the figures

I'd say the increase in cases isn't too big a concern as it's likely just a change in testing methodology. The death count is the most useful figure we have, and 621 is a reasonable drop after 684 and 708. We've had drops before, notably 28-30 March but I'd say that if deaths don't go above 710 in the next few days we can probably consider that we've peaked. That's not to trivialise the horror of 700 deaths, but it is better than it might otherwise be.

Additionally, looking at https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard it seems that while London is spiralling into a mess, the rest of the country is fairly steady. Sadly historical data doesn't show up on that site but looking at regions around me they've not gone up that fast recently, so it does look like only London is truly fucking the pooch.

Sakura

I’m not saying the article is wrong. I just find it ironic that patient zero came from eating a bat or pangolin. So it was transferred via food at its inception.
Do we actually know that patient zero got it from eating a bat? Assuming it came from the wetmarket, it could've just been people handling the animals or something right? I mean, pigs get human influenza, but they don't catch it because they eat us.

Kadayi

Banned
How strict was/is the lockdown really? Weren't people still riding full trains in London for example? Not sure how well you can stop the spread like that.

I can't vouch for London but all non-essential businesses have been closed, those that are open limit the number of ppl allowed in-store at any one time and the police are actively discouraging ppl from travelling or wandering about unless they absolutely need to beyond a bit of daily exercise. Personally I've given up going to the local park for walks as there are too many ppl jogging all the time for my liking. I think there's a collective delusion doing the rounds that somehow if you're jogging you're either immune to the virus or incapable of spreading it. This virus isn't just spread by coughs, you're breathing out water particles all the time.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Do we actually know that patient zero got it from eating a bat? Assuming it came from the wetmarket, it could've just been people handling the animals or something right? I mean, pigs get human influenza, but they don't catch it because they eat us.
I have heard bat or pangolin. Either directly from a bat or a pangolin via bat. But I don’t know if this is confirmed. I don’t know if it can be confirmed. Wouldn’t surprise me if it was from somewhere else.

Sakura

I can't vouch for London but all non-essential businesses have been closed, those that are open limit the number of ppl allowed in-store at any one time and the police are actively discouraging ppl from travelling or wandering about unless they absolutely need to beyond a bit of daily exercise. Personally I've given up going to the local park for walks as there are too many ppl jogging all the time for my liking. I think there's a collective delusion doing the rounds that somehow if you're jogging you're either immune to the virus or incapable of spreading it. This virus isn't just spread by coughs, you're breathing out water particles all the time.
What does non-essential mean though? Everything in the US appears to be an essential business for example.
Also when did the non-essential thing start? As far as I remember people were still allowed to go to work if they couldn't work from home, at least when the lockdown started.
I mean, let's be real here. People shouldn't be out and about if you want to do a lockdown properly.
Imagine your lockdown situation like this. The only shops that are allowed to be open are grocery stores and drug stores. Only people that are allowed to go to work are people who work in those stores, or work in a medical facility. Only one person allowed outside the house once per day to grab groceries. That sort of lockdown. If you do a lockdown like this, I guarantee you new cases will drop after 2 or 3 weeks (assuming you are doing proper testing of course).
If you are doing some half-assed in-between lockdown, it's going to take longer before the peak, and the peak will be higher. You will certainly "flatten the curve" somewhat, but it's still going to be too high probably.
I really have no idea on what the situation is in the UK though as I don't live there, so maybe they are doing a pretty good job.

Last edited:

llien

As per BBC:

from couple of days ago: 13 y.o.died of C19.
Yesterday, 5 y.o.
:(

No word on whether they had chronical health issues.

prag16

Banned
At what point do the "rights" of a bunch of selfish, egocentric assholes outweigh the health and wellbeing of countless numbers of people at risk?

Imagine if people used this time to think about others instead of throwing fits and whining about themselves.
At what point does your fear outweigh my rights? Nobody is entitled to an entirely germ free environment. And if they want the next best thing they can stay in their homes themselves.

nush

I really have no idea on what the situation is in the UK though as I don't live there, so maybe they are doing a pretty good job.

I spoke with my mum who lives in a small town in the UK, she said only the chemists and supermarkets are open. Also that there's no eggs, which is probably related to the virus somehow.

xrnzaaas

As per BBC:

from couple of days ago: 13 y.o.died of C19.
Yesterday, 5 y.o.
:(

No word on whether they had chronical health issues.
I'm not an expert on the topic, but I think at this point it's becoming more likely that certain inherited genes may play a part in some of the deaths or young/healthy people.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
It's definitely going to be interesting to see how Sweden's strategy pans out. Intuitively, it makes sense.

We can't lock down the world until there is a vaccine ready to be deployed (probably summer 2021 at the earliest) and lock downs only serve to reduce the severity of the first peak while also pushing out the duration of the pandemic.

Thats if a vaccine does happen. They still haven't found a vaccine for MERS yet.

Someone has to start planning on how we should live going forward if there isn't a vaccine.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I spoke with my mum who lives in a small town in the UK, she said only the chemists and supermarkets are open. Also that there's no eggs, which is probably related to the virus somehow.

Plenty of eggs round here - supermarkets having no trouble on that front be they delivery or in-person (trying to avoid shops as much as I can) plus local farms are really stepping up their facebook marketing game and selling direct to people.

llien

They still haven't found a vaccine for MERS yet.
I was told at least one of the 20 vaccines in works was actually originally against MERS.
But no fucks and hence no funding was given to proceed.
(in fact, all of the vaccines that are being tested now were developed against either MERS or SARS or both. Development itself takes a couple of years)

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
On my street, these same dudes... about 6 of them gather outside and dribble a basketball and pass it to each other back and forth. There’s no hoop, but they’ve been basically shadow hooping everyday pretending to play I guess?

I’ve seen worse egregious acts of ignoring distancing, but just seeing them outside doing this everyday is fucking annoying. And they all have punchable faces.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
On my street, these same dudes... about 6 of them gather outside and dribble a basketball and pass it to each other back and forth. There’s no hoop, but they’ve been basically shadow hooping everyday pretending to play I guess?

I’ve seen worse egregious acts of ignoring distancing, but just seeing them outside doing this everyday is fucking annoying. And they all have punchable faces.

You should call the police. We won't get through this unless we report our fellow citizens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sakura

Thanks. Seems like it hasn't been that long though, and I'm not sure how good compliance is, as I see articles about businesses that aren't essential still open, but hopefully the new case numbers will start to drop.
Thats if a vaccine does happen. They still haven't found a vaccine for MERS yet.

Someone has to start planning on how we should live going forward if there isn't a vaccine.
MERS doesn't have a vaccine because it isn't profitable to make one, not because they can't make one.

Kadayi

Banned
Yep - lots of people near me doing that. I've been spending my time being productively posting here ;)

Work cut my hours down as a lot of clients have put jobs on hold so I've been using the time to gen up on my software knowledge (which I'm quite enjoying). Allegedly they want me to work Thurs/Friday this week, but tbh I expect come Wednesday the work will have dried up.

cryptoadam

Banned
Thanks. Seems like it hasn't been that long though, and I'm not sure how good compliance is, as I see articles about businesses that aren't essential still open, but hopefully the new case numbers will start to drop.

MERS doesn't have a vaccine because it isn't profitable to make one, not because they can't make one.

Well that does raise some questions if its all about profits. How expensive is this vaccine going to be and outside of the 1st world will people be able to afford it?

I sure as hell hope they will have a vaccine, but right now its all like ya in 18 months will have a vaccine. Thats not some guarantee date. Fauci is very confident but this could fail at the animal stage or the human stage.
Point to me is a vaccine isn't a guarantee, nor is it a guarantee to be within 12-18 months. and 12 to 18 months is just to far off. By that time there will be no food and people will have starved to death on the streets and probably millions of people will be homeless. So really there won't be any where for people to be lockdown to.
So there needs to be a back up plan or better solution then stay the fuck home. Thats working for now but eventually we need to transition to something else.

The good thing is if there is a second wave we will be much better prepared, and have better testing. Antibody tests will eventually roll out. And in 6 months from now we will probably have the ability to test within hours if not minutes and to test millions of people.

Yesterday was talking to a few friends that live in England (a few in London, one in Guernsey) through facetime and those that live in London were telling me that people are basically ignoring the lockdown, they still take the tube, everyone runs now (mostly people that barely exercised before now go out for a "run"), theres private parties going on, people still gather at will.

My other friend that lives in Guernsey, says everyone is taking it very seriously, he says maybe because theres a lot of immigrants and being an island with a small population, and much of that population is slightly older (average 40 y/o) people look at whats happening in London and are reacting accordingly.

I suspect this should be the same for other remote areas around the UK, but we will see big numbers coming out of London if they dont change their lifestyle urgently.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Work cut my hours down as a lot of clients have put jobs on hold so I've been using the time to gen up on my software knowledge (which I'm quite enjoying). Allegedly they want me to work Thurs/Friday this week, but tbh I expect come Wednesday the work will have dried up.

Lucky bastard. My lot have furloughed my UK team [topping up their pay so they don't lose out] (and binned those elsewhere as other countries don't offer such generous support as the UK gov) but left me as the sole remaining poor bastard keeping shit running. I can't complain though - I've got a job and I'm grateful for that.

At what point does your fear outweigh my rights? Nobody is entitled to an entirely germ free environment. And if they want the next best thing they can stay in their homes themselves.

Probably when there's a 20% chance I end up in the hospital with a 10% chance of ending up in the ICU just by walking around on a daily basis. This goes beyond the realm of germophobia.

I personally do not care if I catch it. I'll probably be fine and if the worst does happen, whatever, it's my time to go. I have no aspirations for family or even marriage so I'm just winding down the clock for the next 40-50 years. I realize that I am in the minority however and your average person does not share this view. I try my best to think of others (as naive as that may be) and the simple fact is this thing is highly contagious and it is very deadly. If stopping it (or slowing it) means staying inside for a few months I personally do not care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom