• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Does anyone know why scientists say ordering out food shouldn’t be a concern because there’s no evidence it is transmitted via food?

If it can be transferred from touching a surface with the virus on it and then putting your hands in your mouth, then why couldn’t be it transferred if a cook in a restaurant put the food in a container with the virus on his hands and then you put that food in your mouth?

I want to believe the scientists I’m sure they have a reason for putting this information out there, but then again they also have been lying about masks, so....
I wouldn’t be eating take out right now. Can’t understand why anyone would, tbh.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I wouldn’t be eating take out right now. Can’t understand why anyone would, tbh.
I haven’t, but I keep seeing the top doctors say it’s safe, just take the food out of the containers and throw away the containers.

But I’m not gonna risk it. What if it’s found out a week from now that it is transferred via food?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I haven’t, but I keep seeing the top doctors say it’s safe, just take the food out of the containers and throw away the containers.

But I’m not gonna risk it. What if it’s found out a week from now that it is transferred via food?
If I had to guess, the governments are trying to keep restaurants from going broke, maybe? I don’t know, but I’m not waiting to find out. This virus seems to be too unknown.

I just think it’s too risky. I’ve worked in kitchens. Many people don’t wear gloves and/or wash their hands properly.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
If I had to guess, the governments are trying to keep restaurants from going broke, maybe? I don’t know, but I’m not waiting to find out. This virus seems to be too unknown.

I just think it’s too risky. I’ve worked in kitchens. Many people don’t wear gloves and/or wash their hands properly.
Exactly. And that was my theory as well. Unless there’s something biological about it not being able to survive in the surface of food or if digesting it via eating doesn’t cause you to get it, but I haven’t heard it actually explained.

deafmedal

It’s risky for sure but so is the act of going to work. I still do it once everyday but I’m not at home so there’s that. I have a limited kitchen in my room and everything I eat outside of that one takeout meal is food I prepare in the room. No fast food though, I stick with local small businesses and eat fairly healthy. It allows me to support them in these shitty times and eat something outside what I’m capable of making in my room.

I imagine the very limited staff takes great care preparing my food, everyone wears gloves, food is usually brought to the car or quickly available without contact right inside. Shouldn’t be more risk involved than going to the grocery store and gathering stuff every week, possibly less risk. I would think the only real way of mitigating as much risk as possible would be to grow your own food stuffs but that’s not exactly a realistic proposition for most right now.

MastAndo

If there was any sort of significant risk associated with getting takeout or food delivery, the medical professionals and media would be all over it. Anything plausible that can be added to the scare tactics to get people to stay home and do the right thing would be all over the place. You can also attach similar risks to things we HAVE to do, like shop for groceries and for some of us, going to work.

That said, hopefully I'm not singing a different tune in a few weeks, as I just had KFC and still order food delivery on the regular. :messenger_confused:

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
If there was any sort of significant risk associated with getting takeout or food delivery, the medical professionals and media would be all over it. Anything plausible that can be added to the scare tactics to get people to stay home and do the right thing would be all over the place. You can also attach similar risks to things we HAVE to do, like shop for groceries and for some of us, going to work.

That said, hopefully I'm not singing a different tune in a few weeks, as I just had KFC and still order food delivery on the regular. :messenger_confused:
I agree that there are risks in everything, but you have no way of knowing if the cook sneezed or coughed near your food. At least in the supermarket, I can avoid people and wash my goods when I get home. Can’t exactly not buy necessities, unfortunately.

This is some crazy shit we are experiencing. It’s like a horror movie.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know why scientists say ordering out food shouldn’t be a concern because there’s no evidence it is transmitted via food?

If it can be transferred from touching a surface with the virus on it and then putting your hands in your mouth, then why couldn’t be it transferred if a cook in a restaurant put the food in a container with the virus on his hands and then you put that food in your mouth?

I want to believe the scientists I’m sure they have a reason for putting this information out there, but then again they also have been lying about masks, so....

I totally get what you're saying. Perhaps it's just because no one has 100% confirmed that a transfer via food has occurred that they won't confirm it.

Still, is this how you plan to live for the next year or so until you're able to get vaccinated? Completely avoiding people and any thing that people may have touched?

Last edited by a moderator:
I work in a restaurant part-time and we do what we can but we aren't perfect.

It also doesn't help that I have coworkers who are still in denial about the seriousness of covid.

I wash my hands, wear gloves, wear a mask, bag everything to standard but when 7 of us are working the store and one of us is occasionally not doing it 100% it starts to all feel like it's for nothing.

Tigerlord

The thing is cooking food kills germs on food so that would not be a problem. Not to mention,
most resterants have employees wash hands/wear gloves when preparing food, even
though some raw foods like salad may carry food born illnesses. I remember some time ago,
some resterants got in trouble due to raw red onion and romane lettuce giving people intestinal trouble.

Shouta

Takeout food itself shouldn't be an issue really because you can just heat the food up to temperatures where the virus would get killed. It's the containers that would be a problem. Transferring the food to your own plates, disposing of the packaging, heating the food up, then washing your hands thoroughly should be fine like most media outlets and medical folks have been saying to do.

cryptoadam

Banned
Can someone explain what is going on in France?

So these 26K cases they were backlogged cases? And all these dead people they found in nursing homes?

Was France lying about their numbers the whole time or they screwed up ?

longdi

Banned
Takeout food itself shouldn't be an issue really because you can just heat the food up to temperatures where the virus would get killed. It's the containers that would be a problem. Transferring the food to your own plates, disposing of the packaging, heating the food up, then washing your hands thoroughly should be fine like most media outlets and medical folks have been saying to do.

This is what i have been doing. Even before the virus outbreak.
I dont trust home delievery.
You wont, if you observed the handling, storage and transit conditions

Jonsoncao

Banned

Heat at 56°C kills the SARS coronavirus at around 10000 units per 15 min (quick reduction).

This is for the original SARS, a logical guess would be a similar temperature tolerance for SARS-Cov-2 as they are different by genetics, the protein shells should be similar.

Fully cooked food should be fine. Fresh and uncooked food...be careful.

Several popular take-outs I can think of are okay: pizza/pasta, ramen/chow mein, chicken wings.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I totally get what you're saying. Perhaps it's just because no one has 100% confirmed that a transfer via food has occurred that they won't confirm it.

Still, is this how you plan to live for the next year or so until you're able to get vaccinated? Completely avoiding people and any thing that people may have touched?
If I have to, I mean I usually make my own food anyway, I need to eat a restricted diet. I just stocked up on a lot of the same foods and have been sick of eating the same things everyday and frankly just wanted a break one day to order take out, but I'm high risk so I don't think at least right now it's worth the risk just for self-indulgence.

This is for the original SARS, a logical guess would be a similar temperature tolerance for SARS-Cov-2 as they are different by genetics, the protein shells should be similar.

Fully cooked food should be fine. Fresh and uncooked food...be careful.

Several popular take-outs I can think of are okay: pizza/pasta, ramen/chow mein, chicken wings.

Yeah, I figured food being cooked would be safe because the heat would kill it, but I just think takeout right now is too risky since it could still be contaminated when it comes out of the oven, and this doesn't include cold foods. But the doctors/scientists didn't say "avoid cold foods, only eat foods cooked at high temps" so I'm just unsure how accurate these statements have been. Right now I'm not trusting it until I get more credible or sourced information.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
So New York City right now deaths have a 98% co morbidity.

There are 721 cases pending but the vast majority are for old people. So far only 8 people over 65 don't have another pathology. So I doubt that many of those 721 won't have underlying conditions.

Dr.D00p

I work in a restaurant part-time and we do what we can but we aren't perfect.

I did an Advanced Food Hygeine course once, years ago.

...I have not had take away food since.

Take from that what you will but the phrase 'ignorance is bliss' was most appropriate.

E-Cat

Trump Axed Massive Mask Manufacturing Plan in 2018
In September 2018, the Trump administration received detailed plans for a new machine designed to churn out millions of protective respirator masks at high speed during a pandemic,” the Washington Post reports.

“The plans, submitted to the Department of Health and Human Services by medical manufacturer O&M Halyard, were the culmination of a venture unveiled almost three years earlier by the Obama administration.”

“But HHS did not proceed with making the machine.”

cryptoadam

Banned
So New York City right now deaths have a 98% co morbidity.

There are 721 cases pending but the vast majority are for old people. So far only 8 people over 65 don't have another pathology. So I doubt that many of those 721 won't have underlying conditions.

Alx

Can someone explain what is going on in France?

So these 26K cases they were backlogged cases? And all these dead people they found in nursing homes?

Was France lying about their numbers the whole time or they screwed up ?

Those aren't regular nursing homes but "medicalized" ones for elderly people who need constant health assistance (EHPAD). Said in a sad way, it's a place where very old people go to die.
It's a different network from hospitals, and because of their nature they don't report their deaths at the same frequency (also they probably don't have as fast results for testing). Everybody knew from the start that there were uncounted deaths there, but we're only starting to get the reports.
It does mess up the tracking of the epidemy on sites like worldometers though. While the total is closer to the truth, it breaks the trend of the expansion of cases.

E-Cat

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Though this criticism coming from Hannity is rich, considering he literally had a “Coronavirus Hysteria” graphic in mid-March.

He is the most repulsive political hack I've ever seen. Yuck!

bNxs8tL.jpg

He has some stiff competition.

sinnergy

It’s almost as if Cuomo wants the NY hospital system to collapse and thousands to die.
No one wants that, but it’s a fact that countries aren’t prepared for a pandemic, even though history teached us they happen, as far as I am concerned early deaths in any country are the governments blame, most countries cut budgets of health care, stopped vaccines of sars and mers .. because you know money . But I demand that leaders have long term vision ... which clearly is not the case.

And look where we stand now 🤣🤪🤡

E-Cat

Another, more conservative model (https://covidactnow.org/us/ny) claims a total of 43,490 available beds in NY, which should be overloaded by either Apr 9 or 11, depending on strict/poor compliance of the stay at home order. The model projects 27,016 hospitalizations today (Apr 4), so it might still be a bit high.
There are only 15,905 hospitalizations in NY as of Apr 5. This is 'good'.

Armorian

Banned
Looks like Ivermectin could potentaly kill SARS-CoV-2 (at least it does this in lab)

• Clinical trials in the laboratory (in vitro) on ivermectin show that ivermectin reduces the number of cell-associated viral DNA by 99.8 % in 24 hours, for the SARS-CoV-2 which is the virus that causes COVID-19.
  • More studies are needed to see if these positive results will be the same in human testing (in vivo) and whether ivermectin will decrease the symptoms, time for recovery and death rate from COVID-19.
  • Ivermectin is already a FDA approved medicine for some types of intestinal worms
  • It is known that ivermectin has a good safety profile.

HoodWinked

Yeah, I figured food being cooked would be safe because the heat would kill it, but I just think takeout right now is too risky since it could still be contaminated when it comes out of the oven, and this doesn't include cold foods. But the doctors/scientists didn't say "avoid cold foods, only eat foods cooked at high temps" so I'm just unsure how accurate these statements have been. Right now I'm not trusting it until I get more credible or sourced information.

alot of foods have a hot component and a non-hot component, like a hamburger is cooked but the buns and toppings aren't, same with burritos, gyros, wraps, subs but also not sure if ingesting the virus would actually do anything. foods that require alot of touching to prepare or package are probably all about the same in terms of risk. i did think about it and pizza might be the safest since the whole thing is cooked in an oven and slid into a cardboard box with minimal touching. contamination would only be from the box or the pizza cutter. (maybe ask for it not to be sliced).

Wow...hard to believe in a high civilized country there are still people thinking this way...

By the way, there is actually an ethics-based philosophy from this "highly civilized" world that backs up my argument. It is called Utilitarianism.

Would you sacrifice 15 people to save a single person?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Anytime I’ve done curb side pick up the staff has had gloves and masks on. I’d like to think anyone who has visible symptoms isn’t working. For everyone else I’d also like to think they are not coughing or sneezing around the food they are preparing, and are also cleaning their hands regularly. I assume that’s happening even without a virus. I take the food out of the containers at home, toss the containers then wash my hands after. The risk of transfer through food sounds pretty low.

Even the containers probably aren’t any more risky then picking something off a grocery store shelf or getting your mail every day.

betrayal

Banned

Very good comprehensive article that also explains everything.

Last edited:
Many more people die from other things as well. Last year 650.000 people died from flu and its complications alone, worldwide according to CDC.

You have a month or two to come up with a new argument until covid has killed 650.000 people. Maybe less if things start taking off in the third world megacities.

eot

Banned
Whatever it takes to keep the fear and hysteria machine cranking.

FYI while Italy is indeed experiencing a death rate above normal right now, there were two higher relative death rate spikes in Italy in the past 10 years than where they're at now. And no lockdowns then. (I'm on mobile and can't find the source right, I'll try later when I get the chance.)
Please don't accuse me of spreading hysteria when you don't address the main objections I pointed out.
Thanks.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I agree that there are risks in everything, but you have no way of knowing if the cook sneezed or coughed near your food. At least in the supermarket, I can avoid people and wash my goods when I get home. Can’t exactly not buy necessities, unfortunately.

This is some crazy shit we are experiencing. It’s like a horror movie.
Honestly, if you can reheat the food (preferably not in a microwave, because it tends to heat unevenly) you'll be fine.

Even if you don't, it'll most likely be OK. This seems to mostly be spread by respiratory droplets, with fomites being a secondary method. Even less likely by GI transmission. I'd be much more wary of someone sneezing or coughing on me while in line at the grocery store.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom