• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Corpse Party |OT| You thought your high school was hell

frequency

I'm strangely intrigued. The animu loli shit is a bit off-putting, but the premise sounds great. And apparently it's ACTUALLY scary?

I find it to be really scary (though I am easily scared). The RPG-esque presentation for a horror game is a bit weird though. It's more about the sound and text I guess. I think the scare factor would really depend on your imagination.

I slept with the lights on last night.
Not exaggerating.

No one else in this thread seems to have been hit as hard as I was though...

I'm not usually into scary stuff. I can't stand horror movies or games and usually avoid them, so I have like no defense against this stuff.

Takao

Banned
I don't do well with scary things, so I'm not sure why I'm playing this, haha.

Anyways, I'm stuck in Chapter 1
still. Naomi and Seiko exit the washroom and hear Yuka scream and go to look for her, but no matter where I search I can't trigger anything.

graywolf323

I find it to be really scary (though I am easily scared). The RPG-esque presentation for a horror game is a bit weird though. It's more about the sound and text I guess. I think the scare factor would really depend on your imagination.

Not exaggerating.

I'm not usually into scary stuff. I can't stand horror movies or games and usually avoid them, so I have like no defense against this stuff.

trust me, once I actually get a chance to play the game I will be hit as hard as you

I plan to start it up during the boring parts of Thanksgiving tomorrow >_>

will never play this game at night or in the dark ^_^;;

8s6Kf.jpg

What. The fuck.

Hah, great translation. I know of the scene from the manga and it's pretty much exactly like that.

weeaboo

I don't do well with scary things, so I'm not sure why I'm playing this, haha.

Anyways, I'm stuck in Chapter 1
still. Naomi and Seiko exit the washroom and hear Yuka scream and go to look for her, but no matter where I search I can't trigger anything.

There's a weird purple ball in one of the classrooms with a key for the infirmary

Also yes, It's a scary game with very good characters. I look forward to the moment when
all the girls become crazy yandere murderers :D

Takao

Banned
There's a weird purple ball in one of the classrooms with a key for the infirmary

Is there a trick to catching it? I've tried in the past, and when I go it always heads to the other side and disappears so Seiko can't get it either.

weeaboo

Is there a trick to catching it? I've tried in the past, and when I go it always heads to the other side and disappears so Seiko can't get it either.

Yes,
do it two or three times and a ghost will appear outside the classroom, talk to him and try to catch the purple thing one more time. The girls will talk about the puzzle solution.

UberTag

Not exaggerating.

If you really want to piss yourself, you'll make a point of scoping out the Corpse Party: Blood Covered manga. The first couple volumes have been translated (there are 6 in total thus far). The events from the game's first chapter are recreated in meticulous detail in the first volume and the first 100 pages of Volume 2 so you can enjoy those without spoiling much of anything.

Yay 3$ short from Corpse Party and no way to add funds. I guess I wont be playing this then untl maybe EU release whenever that is.

Thanks Sony.

matmanx1

I am truly enjoying this. I am sort of stuck on Chapter 1 although I am probably overlooking something obvious.

Last thing I did was open up the classroom where
the newspaper, the body and the unlit candle
are. I checked the body which of course tells you
not to touch the newspaper (I didn't). The unlit candle doesn't give me the option to light it even though I have matches in my pocket so I guess you aren't supposed to do that?
I exited the room but don't know where next to go.

I'm unsure how to proceed next as I feel like I've explored my other options pretty well and don't see any rooms or objects that I've missed. If anyone has a hint I would appreciate it.

Takao

Banned
For that portion, I actually just
read the newspaper until it triggered the door lock event where you have to run around until it opens again.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Any idea how I get the true ending for Chapter 5? I tried everything I could think of so far and gotten every other ending. xD;

Also Seiko rules.

Volcynika

Played it last night, did the first chapter (still missing one ending from it) and the first extra chapter. Really good stuffs.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Alright game over! I guess I can start on those EX Chapters now but 3 and 9 aren't unlocked atm. I guess I got to go tag fishing.

This game has been on my radar for a while and I'm definetely going to buy it once it hits EU PSN :).
1 question though, does somebody know how long it takes to play trough it? If it's only a few hours, I think i'll wait till a price drop.

graywolf323

This game has been on my radar for a while and I'm definetely going to buy it once it hits EU PSN :).
1 question though, does somebody know how long it takes to play trough it? If it's only a few hours, I think i'll wait till a price drop.

I'm two hours in and haven't finished chapter 1

frequency

I think someone earlier in the thread said it's about 10 hours for main play through, and like 20 altogether if you do the extra chapters and stuff.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I think someone earlier in the thread said it's about 10 hours for main play through, and like 20 altogether if you do the extra chapters and stuff.

Takes longer if you get stuck a lot or check almost everything! I got a good amount of the endings too. Chapter 5 was a deathtrap and took me forever.

Okay, so in Chapter 2, I
got the nail puller from the room the ghost boy was in, and I know that I need a board to get to the other side of the hall. Where is it?

I'm loving these chase sequences. It's like playing football with a poltergeist.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Okay, so in Chapter 2, I
got the nail puller from the room the ghost boy was in, and I know that I need a board to get to the other side of the hall. Where is it?

I'm loving these chase sequences. It's like playing football with a poltergeist.

There is no board. Go back to 1-A and pull the nails off the door at the front of the room and go in.

So far in the ending list I have noticed white stars, yellow stars and blank stars.

I am guessing the blank stars are for endings that I haven't gotten yet. Would anyone like to explain what the yellow and white stars signify?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
So far in the ending list I have noticed white stars, yellow stars and blank stars.

I am guessing the blank stars are for endings that I haven't gotten yet. Would anyone like to explain what the yellow and white stars signify?

I think it goes like this:

Yellow= Cannon ending/next chapter ending
Blue= Alternate Ending
White= Bad End
Blank= Not obtained

UberTag

White stars = Bad Endings
Yellow stars = Good Endings that advance you to the next chapter

How can this game not have an option to skip or fast-forward through dialogue you've already read? That's a basic requirement for any VN/adventure game with bad ends.

Other than that, I'm enjoying it a great deal. Spent about an hour in Chapter 1. The atmosphere is quite good and there's been quite a few scares so far. The binaural recording helps me imagine I'm in the same physical space as the characters. Very curious to see where things go from here.

atomsk

Party Pooper
How can this game not have an option to skip or fast-forward through dialogue you've already read? That's a basic requirement for any VN/adventure game with bad ends.

with the longer WRONG ENDS I've started to just reboot the damn game as soon as it happens, it's faster than mashing X after touching a ghost YET AGAIN

about an hour into chapter 3 at the moment

matmanx1

Chapter 1 ending question. Is there a way to actually save
Seiko? Would answering differently to Seiko following the voice after she and Naomi fight change anything?

I'm not well versed in these types of games so I'll probably have to ask lots of questions. I am loving it though. The sound, atmosphere and voice acting is all really great.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Chapter 1 ending question. Is there a way to actually save
Seiko? Would answering differently to Seiko following the voice after she and Naomi fight change anything?

I'm not well versed in these types of games so I'll probably have to ask lots of questions. I am loving it though. The sound, atmosphere and voice acting is all really great.

Sadly no.

Eusis

I do admit, I wish the sprites were better looking. Or just didn't have that blurry look to them, I love how sharp looking the backgrounds are, but hate the characters make the game look like it's being run through an emulator with a filter on (kind of like PS1 games on PS2 now that I think about it). Still, not too serious of a complaint.

Stuck in Chapter 1.
Im in the infirmary, getting atacked by a ghost, and i cant seem to save my character. I found matches in the space heater, but I cant burn the hair on the door. Tips?

Takao

Banned
Stuck in Chapter 1.
Im in the infirmary, getting atacked by a ghost, and i cant seem to save my character. I found matches in the space heater, but I cant burn the hair on the door. Tips?

You need to get the alcohol from the cupboard in the room.

hamchan

Only played past the character introductions but I'm liking it already. Good art, good music and intriguing premise so far.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How's the story so far? The only visual novels that I've played and enjoyed were the Phoenix Wright series and 999... So is this game recommendable?

How's the story so far? The only visual novels that I've played and enjoyed were the Phoenix Wright series and 999... So is this game recommendable?

I can give you a quick run down, if you'd like.

The Story is set in 5 main chapters, with you needing to get the true end in that chapter to unlock the next chapter. Each chapter takes about 1-2 hours to finish. The game is not a visual novel, it's more of an adventure game.

Now, with that said, the story, without spoilin' it for you, it's good enough to keep you wanting to continue on, with a whole "Next time on So-and-so" ending for the chapter to keep you interested. You most likely will be hugging save points in fear of a bad ending in the beginning but it's not that bad if you do happen on it, the game does a good job in warning you ahead of time of major fuck over points and even the one or two that don't have them, well, its a good thing the game does give you all those save points to use. The scare of the game comes from not knowing what is happening, having your mind invent a lot of the fear and slowly piecing the bits of the mystery together all the while meeting the current residents and a few new comers to the school. The music was good, it plays to the whole 8/16-bit look of the game while keeping the feeling of each area, room, event, in fact, you'll likely come to hate the ring of the nurse's room because of past events. The characters are believable, as well as their course of actions to deal with the horrors. They each have their weaknesses and strengths while coming(or failing) to grips with their new environment. While the main story is about 10 hours on a first play, you can always do the extra story chapters for more.

I'd recommend playing this game if you enjoy a story and some suspense. It's light on game play elements but more then makes up for it in: music, characters and overall mood of the situations the main cast is set in. While a few people may be put off by the whole "animu" and panty shots thing, it'd be a shame to pass up the adventure for a few things like that.

This game is great, and I want to thank XSeed for translating it (and bringing it to my attention in general, I'll have to swing by nipponbashi soon and pick up the JP releases). It basically contains everything I love in story-based adventure games- some freedom, but not so much that you will get stuck every 5 minutes. Great music, great art, wonderful voice acting (and a very nice translation, even if there are some slight liberties taken here and there :p). A great story (I love horror). The fact that a game that for the most part could have been released three generations ago genuinely frightens me is a tribute to the atmosphere that has been created.

A true gem and at $20, it looks like people are actually playing it. I'm the kind of guy that happily pays full price for games like this, so $20 feels like a bargain.

If you are on the fence about this one, pick it up.

Top Bottom