• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike series has sold over 50 million copies in 16 years

From SteamSpy:

Counter-Strike - 11,416,994
Counter-Strike: Condition Zero - 8,912,502
Counter-Strike: Source - 13,854,374
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - 14,689,576

From Valve:

Counter-Strike (Xbox) - over 1,500,000

There isn't any data that I could find about GO on PS3 and Xbox360 and Counter-Strike Nexon: Zombies (F2P) has had 3,780,736 people play the game.

http://steamspy.com/search.php?s=counter-strike
http://www.shacknews.com/article/56193/valve-reveals-lifetime-retail-sales

This is pretty impressive, especially GO's sales numbers.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Wow, Global Offensive is the best-selling one now?

Amazing.

Only problem is that it's kind of hard to figure out numbers for the pre-retail Half-Life mod version.

Where's the press release/source?

There is no press release. This is all coming from SteamSpy, which is pretty accurate from what we've been told by developers who post here, and some of the information is from earlier Valve press releases. We probably won't be getting a press release from Valve anyways.

devonodev

Well, it's no Halo.

Seriously though, well deserved. Surprised GO is the highest selling one, but I guess with esports popularity it makes sense.

Some games never die. This is great news, and shows how big PC gaming can be.

I assume the Xbox Counterstrike is Orange Box?

Jellzy

Neo Member
Well, it's no Halo.

Seriously though, well deserved. Surprised GO is the highest selling one, but I guess with esports popularity it makes sense.

That guy was fun. Good thread. Good times.

Big fan of CS:GO. Wish it was shown a bit more love in terms of meaningful updates. Where art' though Source 2 port.

Borman

No, it wasnt included in the OB. They are talking about CounterStrike on the original Xbox, which had XBL support. Good times.

And for some reason, I doubt this counts sales from before Steam. I know I had a boxed copy of CS not knowing any better.

No, the Orange Box never had Counter-Strike included for consoles. CS: GO was the first PS3 and Xbox 360 CS game. The Counter-Strike that I am referring to in the OP is for the original Xbox. It was CS 1.6 ported over by Turtle Rock (iirc) and published by Microsoft.

The_Dama

I wish a good CS would come out for for consoles. CS:GO was pretty bad and had no support. The original CS on OG Xbox was good.

No, it wasnt included in the OB. They are talking about CounterStrike on the original Xbox, which had XBL support. Good times.

And for some reason, I doubt this counts sales from before Steam. I know I had a boxed copy of CS not knowing any better.

Well, Valve said in 2008 that retail sales for the original CS was 4.2 million copies and I wouldn't be surprised if most of those eventually activated the keys on Steam.

Nzyme32

Wow, Global Offensive is the best-selling one now?

Amazing.

Only problem is that it's kind of hard to figure out numbers for the pre-retail Half-Life mod version.

More to the point, CSGO is entirely stand alone. CS has existed in mod form and bundled in with HL games and other packs. Same with CS Source

phyrlord

I remember playing a SHIT ton of CS:CZ. Maybe I'm crazy but the MP just felt better. A lot of clans and memories were had.

CS was always good at forming a solid social experience.Going on servers and becoming a 'regular' was awesome. I will always remember the CS days as the days of when 'GG' was used primary as a sarcastic remark aka 'gg noob' rather then a friendly one.

I wish a good CS would come out for for consoles. CS:GO was pretty bad and had no support. The original CS on OG Xbox was good.

I doubt that we'll ever see another good version on console unless Valve can update it as they see fit without going through certification.

Top Bottom