• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Country group Lady Antebellum changes name to "Lady A" to virtue signal, but the Blues singer named Lady A ain't happy

ManaByte

Earlier that day, Grammy-winning country trio Lady Antebellum — whose name had been criticized for its associations with romanticized ideas of the pre-war, slavery-ridden American South — announced they were changing their name to Lady A in light of a heightened national conversation about racism. Lady Antebellum made the changes swiftly on social media and distribution platforms including Spotify and Apple Music, and the group’s website also announced their rechristening as Lady A. But according to Seattle’s Lady A, neither the band nor any members of their team reached out to her before making the change.

This Lady A — a 61-year-old black woman whose real name is Anita White — has been playing the blues under the name for more than 20 years. She began singing as a gospel performer at church and started going by Lady A for karaoke nights in the Eighties. She’s released multiple albums with the name, and on top of her day job working with Seattle Public Utilities, she’s gearing up to release another album, Lady A: Live in New Orleans, on her birthday on July 18th.

“This is my life. Lady A is my brand, I’ve used it for over 20 years, and I’m proud of what I’ve done,” she says, her voice breaking. “This is too much right now. They’re using the name because of a Black Lives Matter incident that, for them, is just a moment in time. If it mattered, it would have mattered to them before. It shouldn’t have taken George Floyd to die for them to realize that their name had a slave reference to it.

“It’s an opportunity for them to pretend they’re not racist or pretend this means something to them,” she adds. “If it did, they would’ve done some research. And I’m not happy about that. You found me on Spotify easily — why couldn’t they?”

giphy.gif

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I learned a new word today. I had no idea antebellum meant before war.
Ok so how is the name racist? Seems like a reach to me.
Whatever, hope they get sued by the black Lady A and their fake ass wokeness costs them 10 million.

Last edited by a moderator:

ManaByte

I learned a new word today. I had no idea antebellum meant before war.
Ok so how is the name racist? Seems like a reach to me.
Whatever, hope they get sued by the black Lady A and their fake ass wokeness costs them 10 million.

They consider it racist because in the US it’s used to describe the South before the Civil War.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
They consider it racist because in the US it’s used to describe the South before the Civil War.
Oh right I forgot its the white devils fault they went to Africa and some black people were like "Hey pale face,, you wanna buy some of these doods. They real good workers".
Fuck me. History is history let it go.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
The south shouldn’t reject its identity and history. This pop country music group (probably with pressure from their label) was trying to proactively disassociate themselves from being labeled as racist and canceled.

However, it immediately bit them in the ass in a way they might have anticipated if they weren’t jumping into a foolish decision. Checking conflicting band names is one of the first steps labels take when signing a new band.

The spirits of the ancestors are crying out against this foolishness.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Yeah, start one!

I wanna see how that goes with the current political climate... :D
Right, he’s a couple decades too early.

Kids will remember what they went through and there will be metal bands that reject the idiocy of these concepts that were forced upon their consciousness before they had the full strength of will to reject them.

mark my words.

Right, he’s a couple decades too early.

Kids will remember what they went through and there will be metal bands that reject the idiocy of these concepts that were forced upon their consciousness before they had the full strength of will to reject them.

mark my words.
Could really be happening.
Looking forward to these kids detesting their soy parents.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
So preoccupied with the notion of going woke they didn’t notice they were stepping all over an African American blues singer :messenger_tears_of_joy:
The irony is so palpable these fools tripped right over it.

-Arcadia-

Banned
"They’re using the name because of a Black Lives Matter incident that, for them, is just a moment in time. If it mattered, it would have mattered to them before."

Actual wokeness.

Echelon

Should Mercedes and VW just go ahead and close their doors while the entire world is acting like idiots?

TheMan

Oh right I forgot its the white devils fault they went to Africa and some black people were like "Hey pale face,, you wanna buy some of these doods. They real good workers".
Fuck me. History is history let it go.

the level of stupidity and ignorance in this post is just astounding. Says a lot about you.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
the level of stupidity and ignorance in this post is just astounding. Says a lot about you.
No it's not ignorance it's the ugly truth. Blacks had been enslaving blacks for thousands of years. White men were just stupid enough to get involved in the Africian slave trading that already existed. Dont worry though they're paying for it now with a millennium of reparations and dealing with BLM bullshit.

Furthermore the BLM slogan is offensive. The very idea that they're saying this lends weight to an idea that black lives don't matter. Jesus tap dancing Christ why would they even plant that notion in anyone's mind? It's completely counterproductive and in many ways self destructive. Floating the idea in young children's minds that the rest of the world thinks their lives are worthless? Yeah that's going to set you off in life with your best foot forward.
They're sabotaging their own movement.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
wait
Lady Antebellum is a country band?
Whenever I saw the name, I always figured it was some pop star
Next I'm gonna find out Lana Del Ray's a band too

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Woke Cultural Revolution

Everything that does not align with modern Leftist ideals must be erased.

morelan

"This Lady A — a 61-year-old black woman whose real name is Anita White — has been playing the blues under the name for more than 20 years. "

It's amazing that they changed it for the woke points and a 61-YEAR-OLD BLACK WOMAN is the original owner of the name. You really can't make that shit up.

Chittagong

Gold Member
What was the point of this thread?

To laugh at a white, virtue signalling band that stole their name from a black performer who had used it for 20 years, because they were literally in so much a rush to virtue signal they couldn’t spare 5 seconds to type the name into Spotify?

Top Bottom