• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Couple new Yakuza english dubbed videos

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
[nancy kerrigan]Whyyyy? whyyyyyyyyy?[/nancy kerrigan]

This is at the second clip. The first isn't TERRIBLE. But there is no severe cursing.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Amir0x said:
also is that really Mark Hamill :lol

Yeah! That's who I thought it was. He was practically using his joker voice. I was half expecting him to call somebody 'bats'.

Amir0x

Banned
GreenGlowingGoo said:
Yeah! That's who I thought it was. He was practically using his joker voice. I was half expecting him to call somebody 'bats'.

hahaa. seriously, i was like 'oh no, Mark, oh no...'

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Ugh, I think I'm going to hold out until after the game flops and hits $20 after watching that. Okami, I am all yours.

u_neek

Yeah, it's actually allright. The cutscenes seem cool as FOCK, even with English voices.

So haters, SHOTTEH FOCK OP!

Amir0x

Banned
SuperPac said:
Even if it was the best dub in the world there would be GAF hate. I love you guys.

of course. there are worse dubs in the world that what we see in Yakuza, but for a game that requires a serious tone to underline its 'gritty' authentic Yakuza storyline... it's definitely a failure

jett

D-Member
Worse than Shenmue. Yeah that's right. It's really hard to believe the importers that say Yazuka is a completely serious game, heh.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SuperPac said:
Even if it was the best dub in the world there would be GAF hate. I love you guys.
I doubt it.

The best dubs usually receive a lot of praise due to the lack of faith in companies that typically handle such things. When a great dub shows up on occasion, most are shocked by its quality and, if anything, it would become overhyped on GAF.

Their complaints are legit here, I believe. The voice acting in the original release was of extremely high quality and perfectly captured the subject matter.

lachesis

Then would anyone give me a list of perfect or better than its Japanese original? I'm trying to remember, but I can't htink of anything - that In my knowledge, not a single one even parred with JP original, including MGS.

jett

D-Member
lachesis said:
Then would anyone give me a list of perfect or better than its Japanese original? I'm trying to remember, but I can't htink of anything - that In my knowledge, not a single one even parred with JP original, including MGS.

Well, Kingdom Hearts 1/2 instawins thanks to the Disney characters. :p

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
lachesis said:
I'd have to look, but MGS is the first to come to mind.

I seriously feel that the MGS English dub is vastly superior to the Japanese dub. I love Akio Otsuka as Snake, but the rest of the cast isn't as well done. I believe the fake accents add a lot of personality and are generally handled pretty well. MGS2 and 3 were not done as well in English, unfortunately, but I always felt that MGS is one series that benefits from the dub.

I own English and Japanese versions of each of the MGS games (excluding Twin Snakes), by the way, and am able to perfectly comprehend both versions of each (so both of them are being judged fairly).

The problem with this comparison and why it would difficult to find many superior dubs is simply due to the fact that they ARE dubs. In general, I find that original voice recordings are the best fit as they were tailored for the content. Even when dealing with languages that I do not understand, I tend to prefer the original voice recordings as the general emotion can still be conveyed through the sound of their voice and the meaning through text.

edit - As jett said, the Kingdom Hearts games are probably great examples. The voice work there was fantastic and more accurate for the characters.

lachesis

dark10x said:
I'd have to look, but MGS is the first to come to mind.

I seriously feel that the MGS English dub is vastly superior to the Japanese dub. I love Akio Otsuka as Snake, but the rest of the cast isn't as well done. I believe the fake accents add a lot of personality and are generally handled pretty well. MGS2 and 3 were not done as well in English, unfortunately, but I always felt that MGS is one series that benefits from the dub.

I own English and Japanese versions of each of the MGS games (excluding Twin Snakes), by the way, and am able to perfectly comprehend both versions of each (so both of them are being judged fairly).

The problem with this comparison and why it would difficult to find many superior dubs is simply due to the fact that they ARE dubs. In general, I find that original voice recordings are the best fit as they were tailored for the content. Even when dealing with languages that I do not understand, I tend to prefer the original voice recordings as the general emotion can still be conveyed through the sound of their voice and the meaning through text.

edit - As jett said, the Kingdom Hearts games are probably great examples. The voice work there was fantastic and more accurate for the characters.

I agree with you mostly regarding MGS - but same thing can be said to most of other games. Let's take Shenmue per se - and some of the characters, IMO, is done better in US ver. I actually prefered some characters (such as Nozomi and Chai) better in US dub. Ryo, about the same, but most of them alot worse. I also liked David Hayter as snake - but I had to laugh at some of the others voice acting too - but I also do favor original ones because of it's authencity in all the cases. In the end and when counting everything - I find everything just fails to original.

However, if a dub has to be done under SCEA's rules, then we'd should be more fair regarding dubs - and I honestly don't think this Yakuza dubbing isn't that bad at all. In fact, it's better than most of other Sega games, if not the best dubbing for a Sega game.

Anyhow, I actually grew up with a dubbed Mickey Mouse voices - and I was shocked when I heard first time of Mickey's real voice - I thought his voice was too whimsical and wussy. Probably same could be said to JP voice overs...that they are not used to the original cast's voice because they grew up with dubbed voice anyhow...

Damn, all this dubbing arguement is making me remember Michael Hosselhoff korean dubbing for the Knightrider... ;)

Top Bottom