• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Couple of PC-related questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vieo

1. When will the Pentiums hit 4GHz speeds? (No overclocking, just 4GHz stock speed straight out the box :D )
2. Will Intel come out with a 64-bit CPU like AMD? (If so, when will it hit the market?)
3. When is Windows Longhorn gonna hit?

Vieo

pestul said:
From your questions.. I gather you wouldn't even consider buying an AMD would you?

Dunno. It would take a LOT(like some really good benchmark data) to convince me to go AMD for my next PC. Out of all the PCs I've owned in the past, I've only had one based off of an AMD CPU (500MHz K6-Processor2 3Dnow!) and it gave me the most problems. I don't know what to attribute this to. Maybe it's just that WindowsXP runs really will and all the previous versions sucked. I remember that free MMORPG "EraOnline". When it came out, it ran slow on my PC. I e-mailed one of the devs and he told me AMD CPUs suck for game. =/

AntoneM

Vieo said:
Dunno. It would take a LOT(like some really good benchmark data) to convince me to go AMD for my next PC. Out of all the PCs I've owned in the past, I've only had one based off of an AMD CPU (500MHz K6-Processor2 3Dnow!) and it gave me the most problems. I don't know what to attribute this to. Maybe it's just that WindowsXP runs really will and all the previous versions sucked. I remember that free MMORPG "EraOnline". When it came out, it ran slow on my PC. I e-mailed one of the devs and he told me AMD CPUs suck for game. =/

funny, cause now AMD's dominate gaming

bionic77

Vieo said:

AMD seemed to turn it around with the Athlon. I always thought it was a superior CPU to the P3 and AMD hasn't looked back since IMHO.

lexi

Banned
I'll just echo the sentiment that AMD turned it around as soon as the Thunderbird core for Athlon hit. There is no reason to spend more on an Intel processor.

VPhys

Vieo said:

I didn't know people like you still existed. AMD has come a long way my friend. "Welcome,... to the real world."

Vieo

VPhys said:
I didn't know people like you still existed. AMD has come a long way my friend. "Welcome,... to the real world."

What do you mean you didn't know people like me still existed? Are you referring to my ignorance of the performance of AMD CPUs or do you mean my being wary(might being mistaken for AMD-hate :lol ) of AMD CPUs? If it's the second, let me just say, I'm not hating on AMD, I'm just relaying what that guy(eraonline-dev) told me. I'm pretty sure AMD must be better off these days or else no one would bother to buy their products. :D

After seeing this thread though, I'll take AMD into consideration the next time I build a gaming rig which should be like 6 months to a year after longhorn gets released.

alejob

1) Don't know. Intel was scheduled to release the 4GHz this year but it canned the idea because of overheating issues. I don't think you'll see a P4 at 4GHz ever. What are the dual cores speeds? I think they will run close to 3GHz at first.

2) Already answered.

3) 2006 according to MS.

gblues

Banned
Vieo said:
What do you mean you didn't know people like me still existed? Are you referring to my ignorance of the performance of AMD CPUs or do you mean my being wary(might being mistaken for AMD-hate :lol ) of AMD CPUs? If it's the second, let me just say, I'm not hating on AMD, I'm just relaying what that guy(eraonline-dev) told me. I'm pretty sure AMD must be better off these days or else no one would bother to buy their products. :D

After seeing this thread though, I'll take AMD into consideration the next time I build a gaming rig which should be like 6 months to a year after longhorn gets released.

Well, the K6 series did suck for gaming compared to their Pentium II/III Intel cousins. But about any modern Athlon processor will smoke a P4 at all but the high-end software specfically optimized for the P4's rediculously long pipeline. Even then, it's arguable if the performance difference warrants the extra $$$.

I have a Compaq Presario with an AthlonXP 3000+ barton core and it kicks mucho ass. Right now it's being held back by an ancient GeForce 2 Ti, but I'm too broke to get a 6800. :(

Nathan

Vieo said:
1. When will the Pentiums hit 4GHz speeds? (No overclocking, just 4GHz stock speed straight out the box :D )
2. Will Intel come out with a 64-bit CPU like AMD? (If so, when will it hit the market?)
3. When is Windows Longhorn gonna hit?

1. The plans been cancelled. No 4Ghz P4 for us.
2. Nocona Xeons already use AMD like 64 bit extensions.
3. Yeah when? I want it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom