• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Court orders Apple to help unlock iPhone used by San Bernardino shooter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anything in particular they are looking for? I mean can't they just petition their phone service provider and internet service provider and get records of their network activity? Or am I missing something?

Grab persons hand, put finger on sensor. Or find a fingerprint and create a fake. It may or may not have worked in this instance, given the timing, but in the vast majority of cases they would have a way to get access to your phone.

If I stole your phone, I doubt I have your finger laying around. If I lost my phone I'm doubting you're likely to have my fingerprint just laying around. It was a measured risk. Increased security for stolen/lost phones versus a slight loss in security in the event you're sleeping and your noisey BF/GF wants to go through your text messages.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
If I stole your phone, I doubt I have your finger laying around. If I lost my phone I'm doubting you're likely to have my fingerprint just laying around. It was a measured risk. Increased security for stolen/lost phones versus a slight loss in security in the event you're sleeping and your noisey BF/GF wants to go through your text messages.
I'm talking about specifically for government and law enforcement. For the average every day user I agree that it isn't significant.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Grab persons hand, put finger on sensor. Or find a fingerprint and create a fake. It may or may not have worked in this instance, given the timing, but in the vast majority of cases they would have a way to get access to your phone.

untrue. the quality of fingerprint needed to create a copy to unlock the iphone is high enough that it is fairly unlikely to be unlockable through circumstance (as opposed to directed effort)

not to mention that a freshly booted iphone cannot be unlocked with a fingerprint anyway. you need to unlock with passcode upon boot before Touch ID can be used to unlock.

I'm talking about specifically for government and law enforcement. For the average every day user I agree that it isn't significant.

The problem (which I alluded to) is that if said criminal rebooted their phone, you can't use their fingerprint to unlock it (iOS requires a passcode for first login after reboot). and the courts have already ruled that your passcode is covered under the 5th amendment.

Still going to be a problem, iPhone requires the 4/7 digit pin after 48hrs, or anytime the phone is turned back on. Which then brings us to the present.

Darknight

Put me on the side of privacy at all costs, even if the crime is deemed terrorism. It's a slippery slope to force companies to break encryption, and in my opinion, the terrorist boogeyman isn't a good enough reason. You start moving into future-crime territory if every private detail of someone's life is accessible to government (even with a warrant)

Any US company should help out during a terrorist investigation. This isnt some petty small crime or criminal.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Any US company should help out during a terrorist investigation. This isnt some petty small crime or criminal.
Apple helped plenty with what they could. Read their letter.

What they aren't willing to do is deliberately compromise the security on their devices which protects the data of millions of innocent not-terrorist people.

It's sad to see society slowly become more willing to give up privacy to obtain the illusion of security.

Government can crack a terries phone? Tough shit for them. Not apples responsibility to help the government develop tools to allow them to continue their mass surveillance but I'm totally sure that's not what this will be about eventually and we can totally trust government they only wanna help (themselves).

params7

Banned
It's sad to see society slowly become more willing to give up privacy to obtain the illusion of security.

Government can crack a terries phone? Tough shit for them. Not apples responsibility to help the government develop tools to allow them to continue their mass surveillance but I'm totally sure that's not what this will be about eventually and we can totally trust government they only wanna help (themselves).

Agreed. Tough shit if you can't crack the phone. Just have to be one of those things you can't have in your investigation.

JSoup

Banned
Yes you can.

No, you really can't.
If someone accepts the consequences of no following the order, your leverage is basically gone.
In this case, the best they can do is dole out a fine to Apple, they'll fork over the lunch money, done.

Dryk

Yeah, this is basically my stance. 30 years ago someone could just burn the papers or tapes and you'd just have to deal with it as a police/government force.
If tech companies start breaking data encryption as a matter of course people can just go back to writing encrypted text too.

Err, if the evidence wasn't burned, how is saying it could have been burned an excuse to act as if it had been? The phone exists, it has data on it; allow the police to get to it.
They have access to the data, it's not Apple's job to do their code-breaking for them.

Syriel

They have access to the data, it's not Apple's job to do their code-breaking for them.

A story linked in the other thread mentioned that this specific iPhone was owned by the govt agency the suspect worked for.

Which means, if the government had been doing its job right in the first place, the FBI would already have access to all of the data on that device and wouldn't even need Apple's help.

Corporate devices running on a properly managed setup should always be accessible to the admin. Your end users can't lock you out, unless you've massively screwed up (or haven't bothered to actually manage the devices you enroll).

jond76

Banned
"... And thanks to the Apple corporation. The details of this latest attack were on that phone and without your help the attack would have been prevented"

- future terrorist letter.

Whether it's true or not, ISIS could really fuck up Apple if they wanted.

slit

They have helped. Apple does not have the information.

What they're asking them to do is not only help but put others at risk as well by helping.

GFQureA.png

The people have spoken!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of both. They can't unlock it because they don't have the software to do so, but they won't develop the software because they feel it will make their iOS platform vulnerable.
The poster was making a joke about the grocery store in the image. Larry in the meat department can't or won't unlock your iPhone?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom