• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 2 demo impressions

Pandoracell said:
I think his issue was that anybody who has been playing FPS games for a decent amount of time would have seen them in several games before Halo 3, most notably Quake 3, and would call them jump pads or some such, and not mancannons :).
Mancannons is a cooler name than jump pads.

FrankT

wwm0nkey said:
For anyone that wants a head start on unlocking those duck grenades in the demo do the following.

Go to: www.chucksducks2.com

User: CrackdownE3
Beta Code: OIKO-Z1ED-9QYG-4ALF

you cant link your gamertag YET, but you will be able too soon :D

(also yes stats do save)

Man hate FB. But what is this duck grenades all about?

I like the demo so far. It feels like the old game, but just more brown and, I don't know, more destroyed.

It plays good, but from what I've played, it's too much Crackdown 1.

augmental

Jtyettis said:
Man hate FB. But what is this duck grenades all about?

Yeah, what is this duck grenades you speak of? And Chucks Ducks 2 is a Facebook app that pulls all of my info? Uhhh...sounds kinda iffy to me.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
<3 Orb hunting

If there's some DLC for this game I would be more than happy if it was just a new set of orbs to collect.

Raide

Yeah, demo is pretty good. The aiming is still really poor. I was hoping they would have sorted it a bit better. I also noticed that the orbs don't attract to you when you get close enough. Almost seems you now have to be on top of them for them to trigger.

Day 1 for me. The bouncing around felt just as awesome as it always did in Crackdown 1.

FrankT

Raide said:
Yeah, demo is pretty good. The aiming is still really poor. I was hoping they would have sorted it a bit better. I also noticed that the orbs don't attract to you when you get close enough. Almost seems you now have to be on top of them for them to trigger.

Day 1 for me. The bouncing around felt just as awesome as it always did in Crackdown 1.

The aiming is getting a patch day one.

wwm0nkey

augmental said:
Yeah, what is this duck grenades you speak of? And Chucks Ducks 2 is a Facebook app that pulls all of my info? Uhhh...sounds kinda iffy to me.
I got it from the crackdown 2 demo at E3.

watership

It looks worse than the first game.
It looks so much better.
It plays nothing like the first game
it plays too much l like the first game.

These are weird impressions.

So I just played the demo, and it seemed pretty fun. I have a question for people who played the first to completion ( I only played a few hours of it): Should I get this or play the original and get this after a price drop?

canadian crowe said:
So I just played the demo, and it seemed pretty fun. I have a question for people who played the first to completion ( I only played a few hours of it): Should I get this or play the original and get this after a price drop?

The second one unless you REALLY REALLY want this. Anymore, these games are hitting the $20-$30 range crazy quick. You wait just one tiny month, I can safely say there is a good chance that you could probably grab it for $30, $40 most.

The first one is crazy good and can be had for cheap. Buy the time your done playing that gem, pick up the sequel for a fraction of the cost.

Vorg

Banned
Loved the demo, but what did they do to the melee attack?? That combo looks really awkward. The kick in Crackdown 1 looked much better imo. It works, but still...

REV 09

watership said:
It looks worse than the first game.
It looks so much better.
It plays nothing like the first game
it plays too much l like the first game.

let me translate.

textures and explosions are worse than the first game.
more stuff on screen than the first game.
it isn't as polished as the first game.
there is more to do than the first game.

Crackdown > Crackdown 2

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Crackdown Episode 2

Its a damn fun game and most likely the most enjoyable game of the year for me.

shinnn said:
is there any way to get a helicopter in the demo?

anyone tried to hijack those who bring the cars? lol

I tried jumping and entering(jump close to the chopper and press/hold Y) - Got killed by the rotors.

Tried sniping the pilot and see it the chopper will fall - The chopper crashed and killed the peace keepers below

blanky

if anyone wants to try some co op we should send out some invites. I'll be playing from now on for a few hours, gt is apoks

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
REV 09 said:
let me translate.

Crackdown > Crackdown 2
The best game in the franchise is going to be the one with the most people playing online. I'm guessing that it's going to be Crackdown 2, at least for awhile.

It's a nice demo and all but I dunno feels too much like Crackdown 1 only less-polished at the moment.

Maybe if I had more than 30 minutes to find something worthwhile to do. Fuck time limited demos.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
watership said:
It looks worse than the first game. <Sony fanboy>
It looks so much better. <Xbox fanboy>
It plays nothing like the first game <Xbox fanboy>
it plays too much l like the first game. <Sony fanboy>

That should help.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
acidspunk said:
Loved the demo, but what did they do to the melee attack?? That combo looks really awkward. The kick in Crackdown 1 looked much better imo. It works, but still...

See, it DOES look stupid floaty (which feels low quality) but I'm so happy it's a combo now (even when using lamp post!) and not just that stupid kick. The kick was so... simple! You spend all this time building strength, and yet only had 1 basic move.

I wish they did it kinda like Dante or Bayonetta, where you have a tracking move, and then the rest of the moves keep you more or less planted, unless the motion moves you forward.

Heck, I wish it felt more like the melee in Hulk Ultimate destruction!

It's still fun, I still like using it more than the 1st games, but I really don't understand why games like this have such a hard time making this stuff look GOOD. (-__- ) How does any animator/gamer look at such motions and think "Oh yeah, that's JUST right!!" eesh.

Wizman23

Banned
I got the demo on Saturday and agree that the first time through is a little rough. Most likely because the last time any of us played Crackdown all of our characters were maxed out. Since then I can't stop playing the demo and the 2 week wait for the game is now more brutal then the 3 months till Reach launches. Who the hell said they can't see agility orbs?? Are you blind?? Everytime you start the demo get 3 agility orbs right away and you level up. There are a fuck ton of them all over the area you start in. Hit up on the D- pad and it will show you green and blue dots on your mini map. These are the agility and mystery orbs. They only flash for a second and you cant spam up on the d pad. It only works once every 20 seconds or so.

Also I highly recommend getting your explosive skills up. You get a kick ass grenade launcher with lock on at level 3 and the proximity mines are fricking awesome. I think I'm going to go and mess around with the mag grenades now.

My only complaint is why does your level meter show that you can get to level 6 but max out at level 5?? Is there a level 6 or does the meter just fill for show? Seems kinda pointless.

augmental

Does anyone else have music that kinda cuts in / out... especially at the main menus? Maybe it is just because I am running off a disc.

Flavius

canadian crowe said:

Like the first title, the more I play this demo, the more I like Crackdown 2. Still some things that I prefer from the first title, but enough enhancements here tha I'd recommend picking this title up over it's predecessor.

Pimpbaa

It looks a bit better than the first (especially the lighting) other than then the texture resolution. But if the amount of enemies was the tradeoff for texture resolution, then it was well worth it. The amount of mutants on the streets at night is crazy! This game is gonna be fun.

Why can I choose my face at the beginning if it gets covered up as soon as I level up my strength? I don't mind, just kind of weird to even give the of who to play as. :lol

JdFoX187

Banned
Maybe it's been a while since I've played the original, but I thought Crackdown 2 looks better. The lighting seems better, the explosions are larger, the textures look about the same. But overall, there's more to do, there's more enemies on screen, there's less pop-in and it's more smooth. It's everything I want in a sequel. Now I just need to see how the netcode holds up.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's Crackdown with a radar ping to mark nearby orbs. If you need any more information then that, then you are no gamer.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
whitehawk said:
You have to get too close to the agility orbs to collect them...
That sounds like it might require you to skilfully manipulate your character into the correct position to collect an orb. I think they should just give you entitlement orbs for booting up the game.

SapientWolf said:
That sounds like it might require you to skilfully manipulate your character into the correct position to collect an orb. I think they should just give you entitlement orbs for booting up the game.

:lol

"Nicely done, Agent! I can hear the disc spinning from here!"

rasberryjam said:
Why can I choose my face at the beginning if it gets covered up as soon as I level up my strength?
I would be one thing if it was just Strength or something but no, you level up let's say, anything, at all, and you get a sweet helmet. Not that it's really matters, but like you said.

Raxus

REV 09 said:
let me translate.

Crackdown > Crackdown 2 demo
Bolded for stupidity.

Wiggum2007

Yeah make fun of us all you want but count me in on the 'have to get too close to agility orb to collect' camp. It sounds silly but, for example, rather than just being able to run up to an orb sitting on a ledge and absorbing it a la Crackdown 1 (allowing you to continue running by without having to stop for it to register), you now have to hop up on the tiny ledge to pick up that orb that you were touching anyways while standing by the ledge. No, this extra effort is not horribly challenging to accomplish and yes it is just a little nitpick, but it is a reduction in fluidity that doesn't accomplish anything other than add a pause to your flow of movement, and adds a minor annoyance where there doesn't need to be one.

Top Bottom