• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackling coming from inside original Xbox (hardmodded)

Tomasooie

I recently bought a used original Xbox. It was hardmodded, and upon startup, and occasionally at other times, it makes a nasty, grinding crackling noise. Never heard anything like this before on any console. Could this be electricity? I just want some advice here. If it's an electrical hazard I'll have to return it.

open it up and check the back/right of the unit where the power supply connects from the rear of the console to the power supply PCB. the power supply prongs are probably loose in the slots where they ass thru the power supply PCB and you can fix them with some solder and a soldering iron. this faulty power supply issue is why MS issued those new power adapters that can trip.

zgabO.jpg

nS5MX.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Faceless Master said:
open it up and check the back/right of the unit where the power supply connects from the rear of the console to the power supply PCB. the power supply prongs are probably loose in the slots where they ass thru the power supply PCB and you can fix them with some solder and a soldering iron. this faulty power supply issue is why MS issued those new power adapters that can trip.

Speaking of that: I have a version 1.6 X-box that replaced my version 1.0-1.1 (forgetting, it's been year), and got sent those power cables for the 1.0-1.1. Should I use it with the 1.6 anyway, or is the normal power supply cable okay for the 1.6?

Sew

@OP Yeah, take it back for a look. Crackling in electrical gear can only end in tears. (I'm an expert*)

(*electrician.)

Tomasooie

Okay, I just noticed -- there's an audible crackle when I insert the AC plug into a socket.

The Faceless Master said:

zgabO.jpg

nS5MX.jpg
I looked it up, and I'm guessing this is the problem. I don't really have any experience with opening electronics/soldering, so I think I may just return the Xbox. Thanks for the information. And thanks to everyone else who gave advice.

Top Bottom