• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash 4 on Ps5 looks...washed out?

Fbh

So I'm finally digging into this since it was on Ps+ last month.
The game itself is great so far, love the platforming and the level design is great. Pretty challenging too (if you try to 100% levels).

The graphics look nice but I can't help but feel the game looks washed out. The colors look muted and lack that sort of pop you'd expect from the cartoony art direction. There's also no brigthness or any sort of visual settings option.
Is this normal or have I fucked up the settings somewhere? Am I just used to HDR on most other games? (this one doesn't seem to have any)
I'm on a LG C1.

Also what's up with the crappy quality pre rendered cutscene...they look like 720p tops.

Fbh

Set HDR settings on PS5 to "always on".

Nobody talks about it but i swear SDR output on PS5 is borked.

Thx will try it out.

Now that you mention it when crash is running and you go to the Ps5 home menu even that looks washed out.

sachos

Are your SDR settings for your TV correct? Try copying the RTings settings, those are the calibrated to follow the standard to wich all SDR content should be made with. What are your HDR settings? Maybe you got used to oversaturated HDR settings like Dynamic or Vivid picture mode and your SDR is set up to a more calibrated picture mode like Expert and thats why you are seeing more of a difference?

Last edited:

Fbh

Are your SDR settings for your TV correct? Try copying the RTings settings, those are the calibrated to follow the standard to wich all SDR content should be made with. What are your HDR settings? Maybe you got used to oversaturated HDR settings like Dynamic or Vivid picture mode and your SDR is set up to a more calibrated picture mode like Expert and thats why you are seeing more of a difference?

It's properly set as far as I'm aware. I always use game mode and most of the rtings settings (a few I change for personal preference).

Was just playing Tales of Arise on PC without HDR the other day with the same settings and it didn't look washed out

It's properly set as far as I'm aware. I always use game mode and most of the rtings settings (a few I change for personal preference).

Was just playing Tales of Arise on PC without HDR the other day with the same settings and it didn't look washed out
You know what it is dude? I think someone else said it already. This game's not supposed to have hdr so turn it off for this game if it's showing up as hdr

ParaSeoul

So I'm finally digging into this since it was on Ps+ last month.
The game itself is great so far, love the platforming and the level design is great. Pretty challenging too (if you try to 100% levels).

The graphics look nice but I can't help but feel the game looks washed out. The colors look muted and lack that sort of pop you'd expect from the cartoony art direction. There's also no brigthness or any sort of visual settings option.
Is this normal or have I fucked up the settings somewhere? Am I just used to HDR on most other games? (this one doesn't seem to have any)
I'm on a LG C1.

Also what's up with the crappy quality pre rendered cutscene...they look like 720p tops.
Try this,I don't use it myself but it may help.

Last edited:

tommib

The auto-HDR function on Series consoles does wonders for non-HDR games and you don’t need to set up different colour profiles. Wish the PS5 had something like this.

wvnative

Terrible advice. SDR games on PS5 look good. And I'm playing on a C1.

Across my E7 and my X95J, my PS5 has never looked quite right to me, looking gray and washed out. Using the same picture settings across all inputs, my PS3, PS4, and Series X all look great in SDR. Despite the backlash at launch I think the auto HDR container looks great so I just leave it.

Fbh

Well setting HDR to "always on" helped.
It's still not perfect as now it feels like it's going a bit too hard in the other direction (oversaturated) but I guess I'll take this over the washed out look it had before. I replayed some levels and I swear it's actually a bit easier now to find the more hidden boxes because they pop out more where before everything was behind a slight grey haze.

I have to agree with wvnative wvnative on this one, something seems wrong with SDR....at least in this particular game. Looking at SDR youtube videos of the game on my SDR laptop screen the colors seem better.

Try this,I don't use it myself but it may help.

Thx I'll check it out

Set black level to automatic in ps5 video settings and on the tv while it’s playing

Yeah I have it set correctly.
If anything this is one of the rare cases where I'd almost argue setting HDMI black levels wrong looks better, but then you get crushed blacks and that's a no go.

wvnative

Well setting HDR to "always on" helped.
It's still not perfect as now it feels like it's going a bit too hard in the other direction (oversaturated) but I guess I'll take this over the washed out look it had before. I replayed some levels and I swear it's actually a bit easier now to find the more hidden boxes because they pop out more where before everything was behind a slight grey haze.

I have to agree with wvnative wvnative on this one, something seems wrong with SDR....at least in this particular game. Looking at SDR youtube videos of the game on my SDR laptop screen the colors seem better.

Thx I'll check it out

Yeah I have it set correctly.
If anything this is one of the rare cases where I'd almost argue setting HDMI black levels wrong looks better, but then you get crushed blacks and that's a no go.

Yeah it's definitely off.

Reallink

Its not a TV setting or any kind of PS5 SDR conversion, the grading is fucked on Crash 4. The studio either "mastered" the game on a display with an RGB Range mismatch, or intentionally went in a bizarre as hell artistic direction. Regardless of the cause, it actually looks much more natural and expected if you induce an an RGB Range mismatch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

Fbh

Its not a TV setting or any kind of PS5 SDR conversion, the grading is fucked on Crash 4. The studio either "mastered" the game on a display with an RGB Range mismatch, or intentionally went in a bizarre as hell artistic direction. Regardless of the cause, it actually looks much more natural and expected if you induce an an RGB Range mismatch.

Yeah using the always on HDR setting on Ps5 you actually get a similar look than intentionally mismatching the RGB range, but without the black crush

Reallink

Yeah using the always on HDR setting on Ps5 you actually get a similar look than intentionally mismatching the RGB range, but without the black crush

There's no appreciable difference between SDR Game Mode and HDR Game Mode on my C1, looks equally washed out on both. Which is to be expected, the game doesn't support HDR so the PS5's just putting SDR in an HDR container, which is effectively lossless. You sure you're using Game Mode on both with the same settings (aside from 100 OLED light in HDR) when you're comparing?

Last edited:
Top Bottom