• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creating Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

SD-Ness

I want to try the area of video making/editing on computers. A couple of my friends have made some cool game/anime music videos in the past. It looks fun, but extremely complex. What can I do to get started? Software? Hardware?

I'm guessing I'll need several programs...one for the actual filming of the game/anime, one for editing, one for playing (WMP + Divx Player will do.)

Zero said:
I want to try the area of video making/editing on computers. A couple of my friends have made some cool game/anime music videos in the past. It looks fun, but extremely complex. What can I do to get started? Software? Hardware?

I'm guessing I'll need several programs...one for the actual filming of the game/anime, one for editing, one for playing (WMP + Divx Player will do.)

Give up now. You'll never survive!

Hardware: lots of ram. A gig or so is good, and LOTS of HD space. High quality video takes up a lot of space. Your final (exported) products will be smaller, but your source footage should be as high quality as possible.

Best bet, spend the money, get a G4 tower or powerbook (whichever is more affordable for you) and learn in finalcut PRO

It's better than premiere in my opinion, and I've been doing editing for about 5-6 years.

It's alot more user friendly, and lays everything out in an easy to find manner.

Also, if you do end up using a mac, a Firewire External Drive is a good thing to have so you can move large files easily. But that's if you're doing big complex projects.

CleanerXL is the best program to use for exporting finished projects, it has all the codecs you'll need WM, RM, QT, etc..

That's a good start.

*Edit*

For 'filming' the games, you'll need an external source, or a TV Capture card or something. The best way to do it is to capture it onto a DV tape, VIA a TV output, using a DV camera or Deck. then Import it on firewire using the Editing program.

Ill Saint

But if you're not willing to shell out for a Mac, skip Premiere and go for Sony Vegas 5.
Cleaner XL would be a nice waste of money unless you're getting serious and doing broadcast / commercial work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom