• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Credible insider teases large scale levelution in BF6 (more than one skyscraper a la BF4)

cormack12

Gold Member
This guy has built a rep up with insider information on Call of Duty (Warzone/Cold War) so it would appear they are teasing entire map destructibles. On Shanghai in BF4 you'd obviously attempt to get the middle skyscraper down with charges/tanks and that was pretty much levelution. It seems that maybe the entire level might be able to be razed, and then become a battlefield of debris - what's interesting here is if they keep the fortifications from BF V. It plays into that whole dynamic battle thing that DICE seem to be going for.

Also hints at modern environment due to size and scale of destruction?

f7dsHo.jpg

Original Tweet

V0X2gk.jpg

Original Tweet

Levolution was pretty cool... but its limited scope might have played a part in that. A map that gets completely flattened 30 seconds into the round isn't going to be that much fun. BFV missed the mark on a lot of things. The destruction/reinforcement model was okay, but it needs a lot of improvement.

What I want for BF6 to do above all else would be bullet penetration. I'm talking R6:Siege levels. That and getting BR right. Which to make much headway probably requires something that pushes the BR formula into actual new territory. They could have done well with Firestorm if they really put the resources into it and launched it F2P like everyone told them to. Now Warzone has cucked them out of BR and frankly, despite the vehicles in it being so one-dimensional, also cucked them out of being kings of that military sandbox kind of gameplay.

BF6 has a lot to prove.

Last edited:
How achievable is this sort of destruction at 60fps on the new consoles? Also I presume the current gen versions won't have this? It's exciting times to be a gamer.

IDappa

Levolution was pretty cool... but its limited scope might have played a part in that. A map that gets completely flattened 30 seconds into the round isn't going to be that much fun. BFV missed the mark on a lot of things. The destruction/reinforcement model was okay, but it needs a lot of improvement.

What I want for BF6 to do above all else would be bullet penetration. I'm talking R6:Siege levels. That and getting BR right. Which to make much headway probably requires something that pushes the BR formula into actual new territory. They could have done well with Firestorm if they really put the resources into it and launched it F2P like everyone told them to. Now Warzone has cucked them out of BR and frankly, despite the vehicles in it being so one-dimensional, also cucked them out of being kings of that military sandbox kind of gameplay.

BF6 has a lot to prove.
You obviously haven't played bad company that shit was the bomb with whole maps being littered with craters. Still the best destruction they've had in a BF to this day imo, they just needed to expand on this kind of destruction and add in their big set piece destruction. I still go back to BC2 and find it fun as..

You obviously haven't played bad company that shit was the bomb with whole maps being littered with craters. Still the best destruction they've had in a BF to this day imo, they just needed to expand on this kind of destruction and add in their big set piece destruction. I still go back to BC2 and find it fun as..
The Bad Company games were fine. Not really the gold standard of BF gameplay for me though. I probably liked BF2 the best.

TheGejsza

BFBC2 destruction was really good. Yea there were predefined chunks that just were blowing out but I liked it as a ballancing tool - in RUSH if defenders were way better the attacking team would still have chance to push after destroying a few kepoint buildings. It also gave a lot of tension when half of the wall just got destroyed and you see tank coming your way. I also loved how the maps were looking after the fight.

Portugeezer

BC2 already had "levolution", almost too much in fact, some areas would become barren flat landscapes 🤣

How achievable is this sort of destruction at 60fps on the new consoles? Also I presume the current gen versions won't have this? It's exciting times to be a gamer.
BF destruction is typically pre-calculated, so it's not too taxing, they could upgrade their destruction engine though, will be nice to see especially with the new CPU's.

Pre-calculated destruction could be in last gen versions.

cormack12

Gold Member
BC2 already had "levolution", almost too much in fact, some areas would become barren flat landscapes 🤣

BF destruction is typically pre-calculated, so it's not too taxing, they could upgrade their destruction engine though, will be nice to see especially with the new CPU's.

Pre-calculated destruction could be in last gen versions.

I remember CTF'ing and being prone while shit was going down around me. On that snow level.

Kuranghi

Now TWO buildings will fall down!

WELCOME. TO NEXT-GEN. *guitar wail*

If its "just" the pre-computer physics destruction as seen in Gears 5 is it really a big hog on resources to "play back" multiple destruction sequences at once? I thought the point of it was that it played like an animation so the CPU was being used for other things than actually computing the physics in real-time. Which would be too much for the CPU, plus it wouldn't be as predictable from a game direction perspective.

There must be a reason they haven't done it in current gen consoles and MP though, does anyone here know what the main resource drain is with playing back pre-calculated destruction sequences? I think DF called them "alembics" in Gear 5 but obviously I don't know if BF6 would be using this, just guessing.

If its "just" the pre-computer physics destruction as seen in Gears 5 is it really a big hog on resources to "play back" multiple destruction sequences at once?

Maybe then can do a combination of pre-computed physics and real-time simulation with the new machines. Is this next-gen only?

Bet you there’s not a hint of gender nonsense in this one.

They learned the hard way with 5.
They just need to see how Modern Warfare (2019) did it and did it perfectly. If you put that stuff front and center with your first trailer and subsequent statements, yeah, then you have a problem. Realistic military shooters is not a genre for that kind of crowd. That should’ve been obvious even before V. MW is best selling CoD with over 30M copies, let that sink in EA.

II_JumPeR_I

Man i hope DICE can recover.
I really want a fun to play and awesome looking battlefield back.
Tired of CoDs shitty attempts of big scale warfare.
Me and friends are looking forward to the reveal this spring.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
BF4’s towers and destruction were unbelievable, so many moving parts to the scale of everything maybe that’s why it was so successful.

Here we go again. I was caught in the massive failure that was the BF4 launch. Stuck with it for 3 months before I bailed in frustration. Ignored the series since then.

The hype building techniques will not work on me and will wait for an actual running game.

I do like the direction of this game and hope it marks a return to form for DICE. I will be sticking with #DoNotPreorder from here on out.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Bet you there’s not a hint of gender nonsense in this one.

They learned the hard way with 5.
You will be able to play as a woman, but because its modern war nobody will complain.

Here we go again. I was caught in the massive failure that was the BF4 launch. Stuck with it for 3 months before I bailed in frustration. Ignored the series since then.

The hype building techniques will not work on me and will wait for an actual running game.

I do like the direction of this game and hope it marks a return to form for DICE. I will be sticking with #DoNotPreorder from here on out.
Had you stuck with it a little longer you would have gotten to play the best battlefield ever made. Yes, I think it was better then BC2.

Last edited:
Had you stuck with it a little longer you would have gotten to play the best battlefield ever made. Yes, I think it was better then BC2.
I know, that's what makes it worse. My group of friends moved on before I did so it was just a complete downer. Hope this one turns out like it sounds on paper.

IDappa

The Bad Company games were fine. Not really the gold standard of BF gameplay for me though. I probably liked BF2 the best.
Oh no doubt but destruction wise I think they were heading the right way. If I'm honest I probably put the most hours into BF3 as all round that was a cracker of a game.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
Levolution was and is just a gimmick that ultimately doesn't matter. I hope they're focusing their attention on much more important areas as well.

I thought the Bad Company games were ass honestly. BC2 is probably the first time they felt good to play on console, but in the end, they still missed the mark. Mostly because the level design was garbage. Small maps lacking any real interesting set-pieces and with the control points all laid out in a line. Control points were not spread out and usually close to each other. No doubt an influence of Rush(which i think is an awful mode) and made to funnel people into death. I'd rather play Modern Combat.

That said, BF3 and Bf4 were great. I really hope 6 is a return to fourm.

Aldynes

Battlefield vs COD i have to say i got more memories of total chaos and awesome moments in Battlefield games that could never been duplicated in COD due to the amount of players, map size and vehicles, i loved the progression system too that rewarded you for playing tank, planes and unlocking more stuff.

This "levolution" at the scale of the entire map could be a game changer, the gameplay, sound, gaphics, vehicles, teamwork mechanics, objectives games are already there for a long time, adding this on top can really create the next step for the genre.

What i'm hoping for personally is better feedback when you hit another player, COD nailed this a long time ago, BF always had a certain lack of weight for the on foot gunfight.

EA or ACTIVSION both are awfull to gamers, COD did great in 2019 with Modern Warfare (reboot) with no loot boxes and battlepass, beautifull graphics and sound, but botched their game with bad map design to cater to new players with safe spaces and doors, cranking up SBMM ( matchmaking that pairs you with similarly skilled players but in a casual lobby, thus making every match a sweat fest) for retaining newer players and make them spend more $ in the shop, this has been worse with 2020 Black Ops Cold War...

So EA have a real golden opportunity here, the last MODERN BF was a while ago and somehow managed to piss off everyone and screwed everything, COD came back in full force but now is trying it's best to piss off everyone too, EA could tone down the monetization and surf on SBMM controversy to get more players back give us 1 or 2 good years before ruining everything again once they get too cocky...

In fact i do believe this is a pivotal moment for each franchises as COD been focused on WARZONE and ACTIVISION recently announced they are going all in to push it even more in the future, possibly rendering classic multiplayer 6vs6 a thing of the past (for them).
EA had enough time to deliver a good BATTLEFIELD game and have 1 or 2 more years in front of them to expend on it before the sequel of MODERN WARFARE 2019 is released ( if WARZONE didn't kill annual COD ) the situation is favorable to EA.

ddc.jpg

Shmunter

I thought the Bad Company games were ass honestly. BC2 is probably the first time they felt good to play on console, but in the end, they still missed the mark. Mostly because the level design was garbage. Small maps lacking any real interesting set-pieces and with the control points all laid out in a line. Control points were not spread out and usually close to each other. No doubt an influence of Rush(which i think is an awful mode) and made to funnel people into death. I'd rather play Modern Combat.

That said, BF3 and Bf4 were great. I really hope 6 is a return to fourm.
Exactly what you said, but the exact opposite.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Exactly what you said, but the exact opposite.

You want BC2 map design back?
Unless Rush is the only mode you play BC and BC2 were worse for core Battlefield fans than BF3, BF4 and BF1.

And BC2s level of destruction nigh literally had you playing on flat land by the end of the match...again because the maps were poorly planned out.

Shmunter

You want BC2 map design back?
Unless Rush is the only mode you play BC and BC2 were worse for core Battlefield fans than BF3, BF4 and BF1.

And BC2s level of destruction nigh literally had you playing on flat land by the end of the match...again because the maps were poorly planned out.
Yes I prefer the focused gameplay of rush

Top Bottom