• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CRISPR Eliminates HIV in Live Animals

adamy

Banned
http://www.genengnews.com/gen-news-highlights/crispr-eliminates-hiv-in-live-animals/81254287

Due to their innate nature to hide away and remain latent for extended periods of time, HIV infections have proven notoriously difficult to eliminate. Yet now, new data released from a research team led by investigators at the Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University (LKSOM) and the University of Pittsburgh shows that HIV DNA can be excised from the genomes of living animals to eliminate further infection. Additionally, the researchers are the first to perform this feat in three different animal models, including a "humanized" model in which mice were transplanted with human immune cells and infected with the virus. Findings from the new study were published recently in Molecular Therapy in an article entitled “In Vivo Excision of HIV-1 Provirus by saCas9 and Multiplex Single-Guide RNAs in Animal Models.”

This is the first study to demonstrate that HIV-1 replication can be completely shut down and the virus eliminated from infected cells in animals with a powerful gene-editing technology known as CRISPR/Cas9.

Vestal

Gold Member
xRJMUmk.gif

This is great news. HIV actually inserts itself to the hosts' DNA in some dormant immune cells that live for decades, it's why it so hard to get rid of.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I think I'd rather have HIV than herpes. I'd rather have a lot of things than herpes. The Google image search scarred me for life.
What. Not only is herpes usually harmless, statistically speaking you probably already have herpes.

Noobcraft

I actually suggested a similar method of treating HIV to some of my old lab partners a couple years ago (in cancer research so it was beyond the scope of our lab). I'll have to shoot them an email. It's cool that someone actually worked through it all.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I think I'd rather have HIV than herpes. I'd rather have a lot of things than herpes. The Google image search scarred me for life.

You probably already have herpes? Like 80% of people are asymptomatic to both kinds.

Anyway, is this the weekly HIV cure article or should we be more excited?

Aske

Amazing news!

This. If you include oral herpes, like 90% of the world has some form of herpes.

The only herpes types that matter in this discussion are the oral/genital sexuality transmitted types, and it's 75%. Sure, most of us have had chicken pox, but that's not going to potentially spread to your partner's junk next time you give them head.

And while 80% of infected people are asymptomatic, there's no way to know for sure; so it doesn't seem smart to throw condoms to the wind and fuck indiscriminately because you assume you'll be free of sores based on probability. Especially not with those odds. An estimated 25% of people are oral and genital herpes free - and 1 in 5 of those people infected will get sores.

http://projectaccept.org/straight-dope-herpes-statistics/

TarNaru33

Banned
Amazing news!

The only herpes types that matter in this discussion are the oral/genital sexuality transmitted types, and it's 75%. Sure, most of us have had chicken pox, but that's not going to potentially spread to your partner's junk next time you give them head.

And while 80% of infected people are asymptomatic, there's no way to know for sure; so it doesn't seem smart to throw condoms to the wind and fuck indiscriminately because you assume you'll be free of sores based on probability. Especially not with those odds. An estimated 25% of people are oral and genital herpes free - and 1 in 5 of those people infected will get sores.

http://projectaccept.org/straight-dope-herpes-statistics/

Why not? If you are part of the 25% that is your loss

j/k

Science usually takes a long ass time to come from animal > human trials > to actual treatment and the way U.S healthcare is, I bet it will be expensive as hell even though everyone should be able to get the cure without cost.

Top Bottom