• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Criterion announces: Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954–1975 [bluray set]

Naked Lunch

Criterion announced an 8 disc bluray set containing 15 films from Godzilla's beginnings. This is amazing news given Criterion's pedigree for restoring films - and we've only gotten bits and pieces of the older Gorija films in the past on bluray - most were only released as DVDs.

Retail looks to be $224.95 US but will be cheaper on other sites of course.
Take all of my money Criterion.

Official press release:
"In 1954, an enormous beast clawed its way out of the sea, destroying everything in its path—and changing movies forever. The arresting original Godzilla soon gave rise to an entire monster-movie genre (kaiju eiga), but the King of the Monsters continued to reign supreme: in fourteen fiercely entertaining sequels over the next two decades, Godzilla defended its throne against a host of other formidable creatures, transforming from a terrifying symbol of nuclear annihilation into a benevolent (if still belligerent) Earth protector. Collected here for the first time are all fifteen Godzilla films of Japan’s Showa era, in a landmark set showcasing the technical wizardry, fantastical storytelling, and indomitable international appeal that established the most iconic giant monster the cinema has ever seen. "

wvj5oP1AqDkO1UBb0WJZGyPN4ew1XL_original.jpg

DiscoJer

Only about half of them are good. Godzilla's Revenge (All Monsters Attack) is one of the worst movies ever made, and Godzilla vs Hedorah only makes sense if you are on acid.

Hopefully they will be sold individually.

Fox Mulder

It's mostly a junk era but I want it.

Props to Criterion for jumping through whatever bullshit hoops Toho had them do for this set to even exist.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

I'd like to watch the original Gojira without the American segments inserted in. Is it available anywhere streaming? Don't know if I want to pay for a full priced blu ray collection.

I'd like to watch the original Gojira without the American segments inserted in. Is it available anywhere streaming? Don't know if I want to pay for a full priced blu ray collection.
Criterion actually offers the Original Japanese cut (solo movie) remastered I have it myself

Last edited:
Looks amazing, not my favorite Era but the film collector in me wants it. I however would pay top Dollar for the Heisei Ear

Top Bottom