• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

critique my portfolio site...

Status
Not open for further replies.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Nice, but I'm not necessarily a fan of Flash for the sake of Flash. Make that region functional beyond a really big music player. Maybe some kind of quick "toy" to fuck around with.

GodsTyro

xsarien said:
Nice, but I'm not necessarily a fan of Flash for the sake of Flash. Make that region functional beyond a really big music player. Maybe some kind of quick "toy" to fuck around with.

Good idea.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Also, since it's a portfolio site, you should make sure the design, both on the front and in the back, makes it extraordinarily easy to update. My first few looked really nice, but were also a pain in the ass as far as adding new materials was concerned.

element

it is pretty good, but lots of flash for the sake of flash.

where is the content? all i see right now is the one photo.
If your work is going to popup, make the popup be the size of the image and give the user a close button.

Also going to the site, I have no idea who's site i am at. You need some type of '<insert name> SITE!!' someplace on the main section in a font or image that I will see.

GodsTyro

element said:
it is pretty good, but lots of flash for the sake of flash.

where is the content? all i see right now is the one photo.
If your work is going to popup, make the popup be the size of the image and give the user a close button.

Also going to the site, I have no idea who's site i am at. You need some type of '<insert name> SITE!!' someplace on the main section in a font or image that I will see.

I'm in the process of experimenting so as soon I start developing good stuff, it'll be up. But I will definitely add some form of noticable identification..perhaps in the new flash.

xsarien

daedsiluap
It does look more like a "news-ish" site, which would be great if it weren't meant to be a portfolio. Focus, man. ;)

element

what type of stuff are you showing off?

2d art?
3d art?
interactive flash?
UT maps?

if you have a mixed media site, 2D and 3D, having a site as clean as possible is the best thing to do. So people who are looking at your site can just look at what they need and not have to deal with navigating around the site.

Ill Saint

More focus, less "etc."
From the moment I go to your site, I should know what it is exactly you're showcasing. Now, on first view, it's slightly confusing. What is that large yellowish flash thing and what does it do, apart from look nice? What's with the PSU banner and why is it on the first page of your website? Why does the ".pts of interest" section stands out more than your main navigation? I'm sure you don't want people to drawn to that rather than your actual content, so I would give it less emphasis or put it further back in the heirarchy.

The whole thing looks nice enough (apart from the diagonal lines, design cliche numero uno), but it just needs more focus. Give your personal content more priority!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom