• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crouching Tiger star Chow Yun-fat to give away £570m fortune

Modest Hong Kong actor pledges to donate wealth to charity after he dies

2048.jpg

The Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon actor Chow Yun-fat has said he will donate his fortune to charity after he dies.
Also known to western audiences for the Oscar-winning Pirates of the Caribbean and the gangster film A Better Tomorrow, Chow has endeared himself to fans in recent years with his modest lifestyle.
The multimillionaire Chow joined the Forbes list of the highest-paid actors in the world for the first time in 2015, sharing 24th place with Russell Crowe.
Yet in wealthy Hong Kong, he can be spotted taking public transport and lining up for tickets to watch his own movie.
Now, he has pledged to give away his fortune of a reported HK$5.6bn (£570m).
“This money isn’t something you possess for ever. When you’re gone one day, you have to leave it to others to use it,” he told South Korea’s Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation.
“You can’t bring the money in your bank account with you after you die,” he said, adding that his wife “strongly supports” his decision.
Hong Kong’s wealth gap was at its widest last year for nearly half a century, fuelling discontent as the former British colony marked two decades under Chinese rule.
Sky-high prices and the cost of living outstrip many ordinary residents’ salaries, with apartments becoming increasingly cramped and generations of families forced to share.
Meanwhile, the city’s mega-rich continue their displays of extreme wealth and pursuit of status symbols.
Chow, affectionately nicknamed “Brother Fat” in Hong Kong, has won praise for taking an opposite tack.
His wife, Jasmine Tan, has previously described how her husband often eats at street stalls and only gave up his beloved Nokia flip phone when it died after years of use.

Source https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...r-star-chow-yun-fat-to-give-away-700m-fortune

Really liked him before, he's now at legend status in my book. People like him and keaaaaanu are great examples of good humans and hopefully they inspire others to follow a similar line.

Didn't see this thread, hard-boil me if old.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I've never understood people like this. Do I have this right? He's giving away 100% of his money after he dies and we has a wife and family? If he has $700 million US Dollars, why not give away $600 million and let your family keep the last $100 million?

lil puff

I've never understood people like this. Do I have this right? He's giving away 100% of his money after he dies and we has a wife and family? If he has $700 million US Dollars, why not give away $600 million and let your family keep the last $100 million?
I'm sure he's probably already taken care of them in a will or trust.

I think all multi millionaires should do this. People who've just had their fortune handed to them seem to have more capability to abuse power and feel they're superior to the less fortunate.

The most recent Running Man episode was about a team trying to track down Chow Yun Fat in Hong Kong (they didn’t succeed, but missed him by minutes in some cases). They went to all these restaurants and food trucks, and they all had pictures of him with the owners on the wall. Apparently, he eats porridge at the same hole in the wall restaurant every morning and takes photos with everyone there. Seems like a pretty regular dude who just happens to be an international movie star. Him giving up his fortune doesn’t seem out of character for him in the least.

mckmas8808

I'm sure he's probably already taken care of them in a will or trust.

I think all multi millionaires should do this. People who've just had their fortune handed to them seem to have more capability to abuse power and feel they're superior to the less fortunate.

But that's just a stereotype that people have for people that are given a fortune at birth. I bet most of them are just decent people with their own set of problems like the rest of us.

But that's just a stereotype that people have for people that are given a fortune at birth. I bet most of them are just decent people with their own set of problems like the rest of us.
I'll bet their problems don't including having to put off buying groceries until their next paycheck clears.

mckmas8808

I'll bet their problems don't including having to put off buying groceries until their next paycheck clears.

You're right. But any decent human being that has kids and an extended family that they know would want to take care of them if they made $700 million in their lifetime. What's the point of amassing so much wealth, just to give it away to strangers when you die, "WHILE" allowing your love-ones to struggle?

lil puff

That's perhaps true. I tend to believe they are more susceptible, though. And will take care of their own. But yeah, I'm sure some of them are nice people. I have more respect for people that build their wealth rather then be born into it.

I know people that grew up in wealth ... it's anecdotal, of course... but these are not the kind of friends I keep.

You're right. But any decent human being that has kids and an extended family that they know would want to take care of them if they made $700 million in their lifetime. What's the point of amassing so much wealth, just to give it away to strangers when you die, "WHILE" allowing your love-ones to struggle?
I’m not saying they are inhuman. Just that the problems most of us have extend from not having money. Must be nice not having to worry about healthcare bankrupting you or putting up with a shitty job and a shitty boss because you need the money. Even something simple, like having to choose between a PS4 and an Xbox One is a problem they’ll never face. It would be very easy to lose the perspective that middle and lower class folks have about community, friendship, and family.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
So basically he is Keanu Reeves except Keanu did it first.

That must mean Fat is a Fraud.

I want a duel between him and John Wick's Reeves.

DKehoe

That’s a lot more than I’d expect him to have. Does he also own a production company/studio or something?

Gander

Banned
My mind is always on movies, how good would Chow Yun-Fat be as Raiden in Mortal Kombat. He is perfect.

Top Bottom