• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crowbat's Videos Do Not Expose the "Over-Promising" Practices in the Gaming Industry, They Exposes Gamer's Continue Acceptance of those Practices.

b6a6es

Banned
How’s any market supposed to exist and grow if no customer’s nor investor’s believe’s what the company promises ?

if a company backed off their promises or straight up tricked its customers/Investors, they are illegible for a lawsuit period,

Bethesda in 2018 and now CDPR

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Meh

Wait for reviews

Buy game if sounds good

Profit

Game “previews” have been bullshit since the dawn of major gaming magazines. I learned that literally 25 years ago and stopped paying attention to them.

Playing actual games > speculating on vapor ware.

Playing games > being whiny.

Games are fucking awesome, even some that promised more than that delivered.

Last edited:

tusharngf

I was never hyped about cyberpunk but thought they will deliver the witcher3 experience again to the fans. I was so wrong about it. They made a game with less content and features.

Outlier

Stop pre ordering consumer goods which have no chance of being supply constrained?
Ditto this. We don't miss out on the game by waiting a couple weeks for initial experiences to be expressed.

Don't feed bad habits, and they will stop.

Makes me think of the REVIII showcase where they advertised the pre-order like it was a blessing, when the game won't be worse, if you don't pre-order.

Last edited:

Sam Hyde

Banned
Meh

Wait for reviews

Buy game if sounds good

Profit

Game “previews” have been bullshit since the dawn of major gaming magazines. I learned that literally 25 years ago and stopped paying attention to them.

Did not work with cyberpunk. All 9-10s for the first couple of days.

Snake00

i was going to make that a point in the title however they don't.

It doesn't expose the industry's over-promising simply because...... it's a knowns practice. We know we're being over-promised, but we continue to play a blinds eye to it again... and again
Most studios deliver exactly what they promise. You can't take the blame away from the studios that don't and just say consumers should have know. Because, as you said, consumers did not know and it's cdpr's fault for misleading them.

Hugare

No Man's Sky was a sad situation, because they bit more than they could chew at first (Hello Games is a indie studio ffs), but they came around

Ubisoft improved a lot in recent years, showing games close to their final version. Havent seen a downgrade for a long time now.

But Cyberpunk is a new low. Like, No Mans Sky and Ubisoft downgrades are not even in the same ballpark.

That E3 demo with the Maelstrom gang was impressive due to the number of choices. But that's also the only mission with that many choices in the game. No other one is that complex.
It was not a coincidence that it was the mission featured in the demo.

That destructible wall during the demo? Only wall in the game that's breakable.

No review codes for consoles before launch. B-roll footage only for reviewers to show.

Lying even now about the terrible condition of the console versions not being presented to them during tests and etc.

Imo, this was a new low for the industry. Cant remember of another trainwreck such as this.

Maybe people will be more careful now with preorders, but we will see

UnNamed

Banned
Major problem is companies try to appeal gamers with games bigger and bigger but eventually they miss the point. We don't need open world with repetitive missions and repetitive assets, and so we don't need companies hiding behind "this is what people want" as an excuse for tons of bugs at launch.

Give me little and polished games, it's better for us, it's better for you developers.

Oh come on, it's not like CDPR came off from a string of shit games for anyone in their right mind to be hyped over their latest game.

They came off the backs of Witcher 3, for goodness sake.

Everyone and their mother just expected better at face value from the most "consumer friendly" developer in the modern day market.

Not expecting them to come out with a new hit after Witcher 3 was like expecting Michael Jordan not win another championship after his first.

They just dropped the ball harder than anyone possibly could. I'd put this above Anthem at it's current state as it came from CDPR, not EA.

In the words of Obiwan:

disappointed ewan mcgregor GIF

Last edited:

sxodan

I completely trusted CDPR with Cyberpunk 2077 just because they did The Witcher 3. And I have to say that the game is pretty good, not as good as The Witcher 3 but still an enjoyable experience. However, they fucked up with so many things and they definitely burned everything they've built over the years.

I still believe they will do something that will help them rebuild that relationship with players. But for me, personally, I will never trust them again as much as I trusted them before Cyberpunk 2077. And definitely no pre-orders of their games, ever again.

DeeDogg_

Banned
i was going to make that a point in the title however they don't.

It doesn't expose the industry's over-promising simply because...... it's a knowns practice. We know we're being over-promised, but we continue to play a blinds eye to it again... and again
You’re right. Gamers have Been complacent idiots the past decade or so. Usually focusing their attention towards if a game is “diverse” enough rather than wanting it to be an actual good game

I don't watch trailers or preorder. Don't really give a shit until a game is on the store. So many games to play why should I get excited years in advance? For what conceivable purpose? Everyone has backlogs. Marketing, hype, ecelebs whatever.

Ballthyrm

If people keep ignoring how games are made, then of course they are going to be disappointed.
Marketing keep asking devs to give them stuff to show when nothing is working or finished in any way.

So what's the solution here ?
Show nothing and wait until the game is actually finished before starting the marketing ?

That's also dumb AF.

You need some runway to build hype and have a good release window where most of the money on physical sales is made.
To get that runway, that would force Devs to have the game absolutely finished and patched 3-4 month before release.

What do you do with all these devs ? that's not a good allocation of capital.
Corporation are always going to compromise and make the product that the market can bear.
It's not their job to make the best product possible or overengineer anything. That's the best way to lose money.

BbMajor7th

There's a lot to be said for the media circus around promising vertical slices - and that's all they really are: promising. It's relatively easy for a huge studio to make a mind-blowing thirty minute experience, with exceptional levels of interactivity and technical polish and for the press to heap praise on it, as though it's broadly representative. I've lost count of the number of games that start very strong and wind up miserable and repetitive as you hit the halfway mark. I've also played a good number of games that are middling right through their first playthrough, but shine shine on a second playthrough.

It's easy to blame players, but the reality is that the media need to have something to say if they want to stimulate reader engagement and saying something sober and sensible (especially on the internet) is a guarantee you'll be ignored. It's the same philosophy driving all these overwrought YouTube thumbnails of streamer-de-jour pulling a truly astonished face at some new game trailer. It is the nature of the beast - the only solution is for ordinary consumers to keep this stuff in mind.

I just always think back on Evolve...

Roni

Gold Member
what do you expect from an industry fed mostly by children? Even if the older gamers get wiser and more patient, there's a constant influx of children into the market and they want to experience the hype we did. so the industry is always eager to oblige.

HE1NZ

Banned
The only thing Crowbat videos expose is the tendency within the industry to pile up on a videogame. In some cases it's deserved (Evolve, Lawbreakers), but definitely not Cyberpunk.

Spaceman292

Banned
The only thing Crowbat videos expose is the tendency within the industry to pile up on a videogame. In some cases it's deserved (Evolve, Lawbreakers), but definitely not Cyberpunk.
They show how cynical and easily swayed some people are.

I think the only ones really at fault here are the shill journalists and YouTubers. Of course marketing is going to lie to you. Of course people want to play an awesome sounding Cyberpunk game. That's why there should be an instance between them, but there isn't anymore. Most of them just picked a side, either shouting at "lying companies" or at "entitled gamers".

levyjl1988

Banned
Sales represent hype and expectations before playing the product.
Reviews represent the digestion of that product revealing the aftertaste of such product.

Businesses unfortunately get confused between the two.

We eat into the hype reveals, We sell out to exclusive invites to stream the game for our fans (streamer), and we simp to swag and merchandise to speak positively of the games before ever actually fulling playing them.
It's true. It's also absolutely pointless to even preorder a game these days, especially if it's something digital or from a AAA publisher that'll print plenty of physical copies. Publishers just use preorder numbers to help map our their DLC/seasonal plans.

harmny

Banned
they don't expose anything. it's just entertainment. great videos though. you'll learn a lot more about how the industry works if you watch any of the dozens of documentaries that follow the development of a game.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Did not work with cyberpunk. All 9-10s for the first couple of days.

*shrug*

I think the game is great on PC.

Either way.. point is.. don't pre-order, don't buy right away. Just have a touch of patience. Games aren't some limited resource you have to snatch up before they are gone lol

Reviews are garbage too, so you have a good point.. I mostly look at user reviews myself.

IntentionalPun

This is how you sound OP, the movie version:

OMG the trailer for this movie said it was gonna be scary and it wasn't! We must expose this over-promising as well as consumers acceptance of this!

luffie

No Man's Sky was a sad situation, because they bit more than they could chew at first (Hello Games is a indie studio ffs), but they came around

Ubisoft improved a lot in recent years, showing games close to their final version. Havent seen a downgrade for a long time now.

But Cyberpunk is a new low. Like, No Mans Sky and Ubisoft downgrades are not even in the same ballpark.

That E3 demo with the Maelstrom gang was impressive due to the number of choices. But that's also the only mission with that many choices in the game. No other one is that complex.
It was not a coincidence that it was the mission featured in the demo.

That destructible wall during the demo? Only wall in the game that's breakable.

No review codes for consoles before launch. B-roll footage only for reviewers to show.

Lying even now about the terrible condition of the console versions not being presented to them during tests and etc.

Imo, this was a new low for the industry. Cant remember of another trainwreck such as this.

Maybe people will be more careful now with preorders, but we will see
A new low for the industry, but cdpr's ass kisser won't stop kissing cdpr's ass.

Studio head Adam still dare to say the console launch wasn't a disaster, lmao.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I trust my own taste in games and for most part it hasn't failed me.

Last edited:
I started waiting a year before buying new games and it's been a great decision. One year will allow for bugs to be fixed and it will weed out shit that was just overhyped once the hype-fueled bias is removed. A year-old game will almost always run better than it did at launch through either patches or community fixes. In the meantime there are more games released every year than I could play in my lifetime so I've still got plenty of games to play.

My friend has been playing CP2077 for over 80 hours now, it's one of the first non-multiplayer games he's ever stuck with and he loves it. When I finally jump in I'm sure it will be running better and I'll enjoy it too based on his review.

I only make exceptions with a very small selection of developers who have never disappointed me or if the game is put on Gamepass on day one.

Blond

Banned
Meh

Wait for reviews

Buy game if sounds good

Profit

I’m just happy we have a Halo 2 level of disappointment in the modern age. That game made me temper my expectations for all video games since I was fifteen.

Top Bottom