Developer: Brace Yourself Games
Genre: Rhythm Roguelike
Platform: Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux
Early Access Release Date: July 30th 2014
Available through: Early Access on Steam
Early Access Warning: Necrodancer is currently being released under Early Access, This means the game is considered incomplete by the developers, and may contain bugs and unimplemented features. That being said, the game is way more feature complete that lots of early access games.
Steam Store Page
Crypt of the Necrodancer Wiki
Reddit Forum (good place to post challenge scores)
Crypt of the NecroDancer is a top-down 2D dungeon crawler in which the player controls the heroine, Cadence, to explore several levels of an underground dungeon. Players can manipulate Cadence by using either a Dance Dance Revolution pad, a mouse and keyboard, or a gamepad. Moving and fighting are both only possible if keys are pressed in accordance with the beat of the currently playing game music, and players will have the capability to play the game using their own music.
- Roguelike rhythm game -- the player and enemies all move on the beat!
- Award winning dance soundtrack by Danny Baranowsky (of Binding of Issac and Meatboy fame). OP note: The soundtrack is godly, and is available for purchase too.
- A beat detection algorithm allows players to use their own MP3s and music files
- Move with the keyboard, gamepad, or even a dance pad if you have one!
- Three zones, with three levels per zone. Final release will have 4 zones total.
- Random dungeons, multiple characters and an assortment of items/spells to make every playthrough unique!
- Hardcore mode with permenant death.
- Local Co-op. You can dance if you want to, don't leave your friends behind!
- Daily Challenges. See who can can get the most gold from the same seeded dungeon!
Navigate Cadence through the Dungeon by clicking movement keys/buttons/pads in accordance with the music's rhythm. Normally only one action can be performed per beat, though there are items that can modify this behavior. As with moving, you can only attack a monster to the music's beat. Every monster killed without missing a single beat adds to the "groove chain" and acts as multiplier to any gold you pick up while the chain is active. Monsters differ in hits needed to kill, the damage they cause and their movement and attack behavior. Adapting to each monster's patterns while keeping your groove chain active is the key to staying victorious throughout the game.
Early Access Launch Trailer
SoundTrack Sample - Zone 1 Level 1
Zone 1 Level 1 Gameplay
A Co-op playthrough
Credits to Crypt of the Necrodancer Wiki and the Necrodancer Wikipedia entry for the information in this OT. Also thanks to the BlazBlue OT for the general layout.