• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis Interview

golem

GI: For those who don’t know the storyline for the game, could you briefly explain it?

Yerli: The year is 2020 and an asteroid crashes on an island, and what happens is the North Koreans and Americans are dispatching units to claim ownership of the crash site. What happens at this time is the conflict between the North Koreans and Americans is rising up in tension, and as the player you have to fight against North Koreans in order to get to the crash site. When the ship opens, it flash freezes large sections of the island instantly into a large refrigerator. It starts the process of terraforming in order to create a space environment for the aliens for them to do their job. When I say to do their job, at a high level it’s an invasion, but at a low level it’s not just a simple invasion. There’s more going on that I cannot reveal. But the North Koreans and Americans unite to save mankind. The way it all develops – the characters, how we dramatize, how we do Americans and how they portray America itself, and how we do Koreans, why the aliens are here, and is it new or not? How is mankind going to survive? All of these questions are solved.
GI: The game is heading to the PC this winter, but most likely you’ll be hitting before Windows Vista is released. Are you going to have a DX10 patch for the game after Vista is released?

Yerli: No, it will be integrated. We already have DX10 footage – it was shown at the Microsoft Press Conference. The 360 trailer (shown in the EA booth) that’s DX10 as well. The video is captured from actual DX10 hardware.
GI: You’ve originally brought Far Cry to the PC, and then released it on consoles, and right now your plans are for Crysis on PC only. What are your plans on releasing this for consoles?

Yerli: (laughs) There is no possibility.

GI: Could there be?

Yerli: Let me rephrase that to be a little bit more precise. Crysis, and what it is supposed to be on PC, until that’s the case, and I mean at a very high quality bar - what I told you about at the beginning – until we achieve that it’s not going to be [on consoles]. Once we achieve that, our next step might become to do the same goal again for another platform. But we will never go multiplatform just because we have to. Are people asking for it? Will we go for it? As a goal we will deliver that experience, but we’ll have to optimize for that platform as the same goal as the PC version. It wouldn’t be just a conversion; it would be a very specific Crysis experience for the gamer.

It is not started. We did not do anything. We are researching the potential of console games as far as development. We have research on going on console technologies and what they can do, so at Crytek we will do console development, but if it’s Crysis or not at this stage, no.

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200608/N06.0830.2058.31148.htm

-SD-

Banned
I have always loved Crytek interviews. Both entertaining and informative at the same time :)

GI: The game is heading to the PC this winter, but most likely you’ll be hitting before Windows Vista is released. Are you going to have a DX10 patch for the game after Vista is released?

Yerli: No, it will be integrated. We already have DX10 footage – it was shown at the Microsoft Press Conference. The 360 trailer (shown in the EA booth) that’s DX10 as well. The video is captured from actual DX10 hardware.
Here's the video:

http://incrysis.com/crysis/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=114&Itemid=2

That's the second DirectX 10 Crysis video now. Although it's a ShakyCam™ version it still blew me away. The lighting, all the details and especially the soldiers' faces look friggin' (un)believable.

Can't wait for the possible direct feed HD version.

It's a few days old. Not sure if it was posted on GAF though.
Here's another interesting point:
GI: It’s assumed that if you do console development it’ll be on the most powerful systems – Xbox 360 and PS3. What do you think of Wii?

Yerli: I love the Wii (laughs). When I was at E3 and playtested it, I loved it. I thought about how we could do games for this platform and what kind of games they would be, and what kind of shooters we could do on it, and work it to our own needs here. Yes we’ve had some thoughts, but Crysis is not part of the plan at this stage, but that may change.

We are a company that takes one step at a time, and once we achieve the goal that we want to achieve then we take the next step and see what the next platform we go with next. We did not decide if we’ll do PS3 at all. We have all of the development kits, and we have research going on. We have the Wii, Xbox 360, and PS3, we work as researchers and test them, essentially. We have parts of these systems running because there is going to be console development in our company, but if it’s going to be Crysis or not is a step ahead of us. Because if we go to fast we sacrifice quality on PC, and I want to make sure it’s the best PC shooter we can do. With our company our goal is to make it the best shooter of all time. Once we achieve that, our achievement is we do our best and that’s it. Whether we do it our not is to be determined. Once we are there, then we’ll take the next step.

GI: Crytek is known to have made stunningly beautiful games, and while you can sort of experience them on lesser hardware, if you have the quad-SLI setup, and three gigs of RAM and a super fast processor it’s going to look incredible. With looking at what the Wii has under the hood, does that discourage you as a developer?

Yerli: No, not at all, because I think we can make great visuals by different means. Look at the PS2. Some PS2 games still look fabulous. And there are games that are just stylized perfectly. You can achieve anything with every hardware. I think it’s a matter of artistic direction, how you use the limitations. That ultimately is the experience you want to give. The experiences in Crysis drives the art direction. The experience of the frozen environments, the experience of interactivity, then we decide how we want it to come across visually. What do we need to do, how far do we need to go? With the Nintendo Wii the approach will be similar. We have this great controller, we have the limited power of the console, How we can make a confined space or large outdoor level, whatever, how can we make the best out of the controller that’s giving the experience that we want to give? Completely fluid interactivity – how can we do that? I think it would be a completely different approach, and it deserves to be as well. So, if it our decision to make Crysis for Wii, if and I don’t want to be quoted saying we’ll do it. But if – if we would do it, it would have to be a completely optimal version, but it would be great. (laughs)

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
So, if it our decision to make Crysis for Wii, if and I don’t want to be quoted saying we’ll do it. But if – if we would do it, it would have to be a completely optimal version, but it would be great. (laughs)
:lol im laughing with him

Tieno

Graphics alone don't convince me. but this interview definately has me more interested in Crysis (if/when it goes to consoles).

Red Blaster said:
Crysis sure is pretty, but if Far Cry is anything to go by. This is gonna play like shit.
Are you kidding? Far Cry was one of the best single-player FPS experiences I've had since the original Half-Life. It was amazing. I've only played it on the PC so I can't speak for the console versions, but they weren't developed by Crytek so they aren't really a factor anyway.

loosus

Banned
I can see the AI and level design being debateable, but the controls were smooth as butter, in my opinion. It certainly didn't "play like shit."

Top Bottom