• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek UK staff not paid full wages since April and more

If Homefront fails, Homefront:Revolution could be final retail title from Crytek.

Good luck crytek....

Homefront: The Revolution is probably at least nine months from release (early 2015, I think they've got it pencilled for?). If what we're reading is true, the company as it stands won't exist in nine months.

It is time for MS/Sony to buyout Crytek, isn't it?

Why? It wouldn't be a sensible purchase for either of them. The company is bloated, they've got projects which, irrelevant of this financial situation, should be taken out back and shot (Warface, Arena of Fate) and while CryEngine might be an amazing bit of tech it's never really made much of an impact or had widespread adoption. I guess a big part of any total acquisition would be whether the corporation wants the engine as well as all of the various game projects they have.

Usobuko

Banned
Eww, I really hope Microsoft don't get Ryse and spent their money on something like Devil Third, Scalebound, Phantom Dust.

Even though Ryse did sell pretty well.

Neo C.

It's obvious that the market for new game engines has dried out, but even then their engine seems to be one of the worst deal.

On the plus side at least we won't get another Crysis.

I want another Crysis. I want another which returns to the sensibilities of the first game. In my opinion it has a near-perfect balance of depth, pacing, gameplay variety, great level design, and so on. I'm playing it again at the moment and it just has the right mixture of everything I want in an FPS, and it's such a shame the direction the series took.

- Put out bad to mediocre games
- Don't pay employees

goodbye and good riddance!

Let's hope the people involved find a better job soon.

mclem

Considering they desperately need money, giving up an IP like that after doing all that work would be foolish (just look at Far Cry). Having your own IP > having to work for someone else always.

Yeah, I think Far Cry has perhaps heavily influenced their decisions since it happened; it's got to be galling to see a series you started taken away and become significantly more successful when it's out of your hands, and I think that's given them ideas beyond their capability to perform. Would Crytek have even been able to make a game of Far Cry 2's scope and appreciation?

mclem

If Crytek end up being broken apart I hope Nintendo picks up Crytek UK aka Free Radical. Then employ old guys like David Wise and Martin Hollis and bring back the golden age of gaming.

Too bad that this will forever stay a dream *sigh*

For a while I thought that Nintendo would be smart to chase down the people required to make a new Timesplitters. I still feel it'd be good for their portfolio, but I suspect Splatoon is going to scratch that itch reasonably well; there's no massive gap there any more.

-SD-

Banned
9on-coincidence-i-think-not.jpg
I made this a couple of weeks ago. What a coincidence.

DownrightJointHogget.gif

So after ruining Crysis, releasing a crappier next gen engine while asking more for it and not paying their employees, they are planning to make bank on Homefront...

Ascenion

Damn Crytek, you guys made me build a rig back in high school....this makes me sad, but pisses me off at the same time. A THQ type rundown might be good though like others have said. Sony could definitely pick up Crysis and give it to Guerrilla along with splitting up the amazing graphical talent pool between them and ND. MS should get Ryse....though who they get to work with it I have no idea. Sadly I realistically see the devil known as EA swooping like a hawk on everything.

Damn Crytek, you guys made me build a rig back in high school....this makes me sad, but pisses me off at the same time. A THQ type rundown might be good though like others have said. Sony could definitely pick up Crysis and give it to Guerrilla along with splitting up the amazing graphical talent pool between them and ND. MS should get Ryse....though who they get to work with it I have no idea. Sadly I realistically see the devil known as EA swooping like a hawk on everything.

I think MS wanting Ryse is a lock. Crysis though... not sure Guerrilla would be a good choice (that being said, I haven't played Shadow Fall). In fact, I can't really think of any developer today who could do it justice in a similar sequel. Maybe SSM could give it a try as they certainly have the eye for scenery and spectacle. Would need to hire in some extra staff to handle AI and physics though.

Ascenion

I think MS wanting Ryse is a lock. Crysis though... not sure Guerrilla would be a good choice (that being said, I haven't played Shadow Fall). In fact, I can't really think of any developer today who could do it justice in a similar sequel. Maybe SSM could give it a try as they certainly have the eye for scenery and spectacle. Would need to hire in some extra staff to handle AI and physics though.
I was thinking GG because Killzone needs a rest for them to think about what the hell they want to do (Shadow Fall is a mess imo in terms of what it wants to be at the very least), and they are one of the few studios with the pedigree to possibly do Crysis justice. It would need to be a reboot and GG would need a writer worth a shit at the helm but it could definitely work. Possibly give Sony the 'Halo' they've been after. SSM has the graphics pedigree but I don't recall them ever doing a shooter? Ryse wise I still don't know a MS studio that could do it. Outsource it.

Eww, I really hope Microsoft don't get Ryse and spent their money on something like Devil Third, Scalebound, Phantom Dust.

Even though Ryse did sell pretty well.

WhyNotBoth^wAllFour.jpg?

I really enjoyed Ryse, I'm all up for a sequel, especially one that expands the setting/moves forward in time - i.e. following a theme / art style / game style, not just the character individually.

mclem

I really hope you're just being sarcastic. God forbid someone wants to get paid for the work they do, especially extra work, after regular hours.

You misunderstand me: I'm speaking from first-hand direct experience. I have crunched. I did not get paid overtime for it. I am under the impression that that is not uncommon.

I agree that paid overtime for crunch *should* happen, but it did not happen to me. We did get some time off in lieu, but it wasn't equal to the time spent crunching.

Not getting overtime pay is bad; Not getting regular pay is criminal, because in the former situation you still got a check to support your life.

No disagreement here (And I should clarify that as far as I'm aware, in the time I worked for Rebellion, they never failed to make payroll; they were scrupulous in that regard). My only point is that both are effectively 'working for free'.

pompidu

You misunderstand me: I'm speaking from first-hand direct experience. I have crunched. I did not get paid overtime for it. I am under the impression that that is not uncommon.

I agree that paid overtime for crunch *should* happen, but it did not happen to me. We did get some time off in lieu, but it wasn't equal to the time spent crunching.

No disagreement here (And I should clarify that as far as I'm aware, in the time I worked for Rebellion, they never failed to make payroll; they were scrupulous in that regard). My only point is that both are effectively 'working for free'.

Why did you work overtime if you knew you weren't gonna be paid?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
At first I was upset about this. Now I just hope someone competent buys the studios and IP. Maybe we can finally get a new TimeSplitters and decent sequel to Crysis.

I really hope it isn't Microsoft or EA though. We don't need another Rare where the studio becomes non-existent. EA has been doing a pretty bad job w/a lot of their games lately and if they bought them out, I'd actually have less hope that anything good would result. I don't know who would be a good fit. Nintendo? They need them, but seem pretty unlikely to me. Maybe SquareEnix or Konami?

The double freedom of work. You have the choice of work, you HAVE to work to sustain yourself, or else you do not have a job.

Workers rights are still rather flimsy in so many sectors.

Speaking as a dev and dev lead albeit not in games industry - if you're not on an hourly wage, the concept of a working day is 'expected' to be flexible.

Personally the way I run my teams I *always* plan in a way that assumes normal working days. Sometimes shit happens and we still have a deadline to meet - in that case I expect my team to work a bit later or through lunch or whatever to make sure we hit the deadline. That said, I don't expect them to do weekends for free.

It goes both ways though - in return I don't clock watch them, I don't count every hour they miss for dental appointments or whatever, and they're allowed to work from home on a regular basis to avoid the commute hassle/expense/tiring nature.

Game industry is slightly different from what I can see, in that it 'assumes' hard unpaid crunch hours - but IMO you go into the games industry knowing/expecting that, just the same as you go into banking knowing that you've got to be in stupidly early and work your balls off until late at night, and so on.

Cornbread78

What is Crytek's net worth right now? Are they even worth salvaging at this point? A quick check on Wiki doesn't show a promising list of IPs to keep supporting them. They need to close a bunch of those offices and really consolidate their operations.

They won't do that. Microsoft tried to buy the Ryse IP, and Crytek shut them down. Apparently pride is more important than a functioning company.

A shame really. If they (MS) built on what they had with Ryse and added improvements it would be a solid AA franchise. Not sure why Crytek is holding out on selling the ip. If things are as bad as they seem it would be a good idea to sell the IP.

If Crytek assets are sold THQ style then I don't see Sony buying anything significant. Definitely not something like Crysis. If TimeSplitters was going on the cheap then I could see them try and get it and farm it out to Sanzaru for a PS3/Vita/PS4 cross gen product.

MS could go after Ryse but I don't know whether they have the internal capacity to develop the franchise and I don't think they would want to farm it out because of its reputation for graphical fidelity.

pompidu

Speaking as a dev and dev lead albeit not in games industry - if you're not on an hourly wage, the concept of a working day is 'expected' to be flexible.

Personally the way I run my teams I *always* plan in a way that assumes normal working days. Sometimes shit happens and we still have a deadline to meet - in that case I expect my team to work a bit later or through lunch or whatever to make sure we hit the deadline. That said, I don't expect them to do weekends for free.

It goes both ways though - in return I don't clock watch them, I don't count every hour they miss for dental appointments or whatever, and they're allowed to work from home on a regular basis to avoid the commute hassle/expense/tiring nature.

Game industry is slightly different from what I can see, in that it 'assumes' hard unpaid crunch hours - but IMO you go into the games industry knowing/expecting that, just the same as you go into banking knowing that you've got to be in stupidly early and work your balls off until late at night, and so on.

Your situation seems different then what's going on in the game industry. Not getting paid for an doing an absurd amount of work on your free time is insane to me.

CTLance

There's still Blue Byte and Pyranha. But yeah, pretty sad, altough.
Blue Byte is a wholly owned Ubi studio. Has been well over a decade, actually. If Ubi says "roll over" they better roll over, or they're toast. So ... not really sure whether to count them as truly German dev, even though they certainly are in Germany, staffed by Germans, etc...

I want an Albion sequel. :(

But yeah, AAA game development in Germany is pretty much done and over with. We still have our fair share of indies and A/B tier devs though, so ... eh. Glass still half full.

Wiktor

Blue Byte is a wholly owned Ubi studio. Has been well over a decade, actually. If Ubi says "roll over" they better roll over, or they're toast. So ... not really sure whether to count them as truly German dev, even though they certainly are in Germany, staffed by Germans, etc...

But yeah, AAA game development in Germany is pretty much done and over with. We still have our fair share of indies and A/B tier devs though, so ... eh. Glass still half full.

Ermm..what does being owned by publisher has to do with being AAA or not.
Crytek being AAA and indepedent is anomaly not just in german market, this is a dying breed all over the world.

Just you wait til Daedalic becomes the next AAA
point and click adventure
studio !

<3 Daedalic

mclem

Passion, at first. When that burned out after a while, there was still a desire to do right by our consumers - because if we didn't, sure as hell no-one else would. It's why a charge of "lazy devs" always makes me *really* angry, because the devs I worked with were utterly dedicated to the cause.

My core feeling is that the games I crunched on were simply never quite budgeted sufficiently - in terms of work hours and through that in terms of actual finances. I'm a little curious how the business side of things precisely takes place with that, because my perception of it is as follows:

* Project is proposed to publisher (either a project originating from the developer or a commission to make a port of a major project originating elsewhere - for instance, I worked on the PSP port of From Russia With Love)
* Developer Management negotiates with publisher. Developer *needs* funding to keep the company afloat; Publisher has the power in this negotiation.
* Developer Management requests a budget lower than is ideal in order to convince the Publisher to sign
* Employees of Developer work crunch in order to make up the deficit.

It's a bit of a catch-22. Developer signs publisher deals, or developer cannot meet payroll. Publishers are out to get the cheapest deal they realistically can, so developer makes sacrifices to sweeten the pot. There's no shortage of potential employees - the lines of people looking to join the industry are massive. So you just... burn through them.

It's a tough one to find the way to get out of it. If publishers expect a budget to be presented that is dependent on crunch work to make the numbers, a developer may feel that they simply cannot expect to stay afloat without making that sacrifice.

Koriandrr

Crytek is actually one of the best studios to work for in the UK, environment and passion-wise. Just wanted to say that, since looking at those assumptions in the comments seems a bit unfair. Not all game studios are made up of people who love what they do and are passionate for it.

I'm sad about these 'news' (I say 'news', since that's been going on for a lot longer, I'm sure there's reasons to why make noise now).

Overtime is something completely normal in this industry, you more or less sign up for it the moment you accept the job. There's really no such things as going home on time before a release.

mitchman

Gold Member
Sorry for the thread necro, but this just in: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/crytek-releases-statement-addressing-financial-situation/0135956

In recent weeks, there have been repeated reports and rumors relating to financial problems at Crytek. Having already given an update to staff across all our studios, we are now in a position to share more details with members of the press and public.

Internally, we have acknowledged that the flow of information to employees has not been as good as it should have, however we hope you understand that communicating details of our plans publicly has not always been possible.

Like the games industry as a whole, Crytek has been in a transitional phase. Our evolution from a development studio to an Online-Publisher has required us to refocus our strategies. These challenges go along with an increased demand for capital which we have secured.

We can now concentrate on the long term strategic direction of Crytek and our core competencies. We kindly ask for your understanding, that we won't be communicating further details about our developments and progress.

Ultimately, with our organization, capitalization, portfolio and technologies we have now laid the foundations for securing Crytek's future - not just in the short term, but also long term.

Through this period of speculation, we are thankful for the support and encouragement we've received from our community and our partners, and for the contribution all of our staff have made. We remain committed to doing what we are best known for and trying to develop the best interactive experiences and technology possible for everyone who loves gaming.

We are confident that we will be able to share more positive news on Crytek's progress soon.

Top Bottom