• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek UK staff not paid full wages since April and more

Skyzard

Banned
They're not selling enough it seems and what likely is happening is that they're paying people as money trickles in but it's not enough to pay everyone. When a company gets to this point, it's time to get the fuck out.

I dunno it seems like they have a lot of promise for the future I hope - nextgen and improving rigs so more people can appreciate their games. Put some decent stuff/licenses up for bidding...

They won't do that. Microsoft tried to buy the Ryse IP, and Crytek shut them down. Apparently pride is more important than a functioning company.

Crytek should sell it to Sony.

RPGCrazied

Time to jump ship. If I didn't get a paycheck when I was suppose to, I'd be out. Its like you are working for free, why would anyone want to do that?

McHuj

selling off what exactly? valuable IP?

They were mismanaged and the company is going under. nobody can force anybody to work without pay.

At this point I wouldn't expect anyone to come in and buy IP until the company goes under. Why overpay now, when it will be real cheap soon?

376208.jpg

Sorry

He is a handsome man!

McHuj

- Staff promoted to Senior roles without equivalent pay rise. Senior roles are required to hand in a three months notice if they chose to resign so this is believed to be a tactic to get staff to stay. i.e. scumbag move.

I'm surprised these kind of things would be enforceable if the company cannot pay you.

Omni

I had no idea they were so bad off.
I dunno it seems like they have a lot of promise for the future I hope - nextgen and improving rigs so more people can appreciate their games. Put some decent stuff/licenses up for bidding...

Crytek should sell it to Sony.
And how is that any different?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I posted this in the other thread about the Kotaku article, but yeah, I lived through something similar (not a gaming company) and it's a really, really bad sign. I left these assholes as soon as I found another job, because that's a sinking ship. No wonder people are resigning in droves.

BibiMaghoo

These staff have also allegedly not been given pay rises “equivalent to the job role”.

So they did get a rise, they just didn't agree with the amount.

If you are forced to quit because of not being paid, that is constructive dismissal. That 3 months notice wouldn't mean shit, because you are being forced to leave. Employment tribunals all over the place. It would be messy for Crytek.

I don't doubt that. Chasing after Call of Duty and Free to Play wasn't the smartest thing for them to do.

The bigger problem seems to be how the CryEngine has been handled. Here are a few posts that give you a good idea of just how mishandled that's been

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=117659162&postcount=360
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=117624098&postcount=276

They would've likely been fine had CryEngine licensing taken off. But they managed to screw that up on their own. I also wondered why we saw so few CE games compared to UE3. But now it's pretty obvious why that's the case.

theWB27

Damn....too bad they were too selfish with their tech and don't even have really worthwhile IP to sell. Well IP that can help them out of this mess.

If Crytek goes down....what happens to Cryengine? Can someone buy it too?

ethomaz

Banned
It is sad for the gaming industry but after the last game I won't miss them (I'm really a bad person now).

CryptiK

I know its a bad thing that this is happening.. But they had it coming after continuing to ignore the fans of their IPs.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
And if there's no money?

Then don't try to lock them in to contracts requiring three months notice. When you aren't paying them, you aren't helping them out by giving them a job. Imagine you worked there and missed out on a dream job at another studio because you had to complete your notice. And all that without your full salary coming in.

The studio's obviously heading up shit creek. Throw your workers a paddle.

McHuj

Then don't try to lock them in to contracts requiring three months notice. When you aren't paying them, you aren't helping them out by giving them a job. Imagine you worked there and missed out on a dream job at another studio because you had to complete your notice. And all that without your full salary coming in.

The studio's obviously heading up shit creek. Throw your workers a paddle.

I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm just saying that they simply can't pay the people if there's no money.

JohnGrimm

The bigger problem seems to be how the CryEngine has been handled. Here are a few posts that give you a good idea of just how mishandled that's been

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=117659162&postcount=360
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=117624098&postcount=276

They would've likely been fine had CryEngine licensing taken off. But they managed to screw that up on their own. I also wondered why we saw so few CE games compared to UE3. But now it's pretty obvious why that's the case.
Damn. I didn't know it was that bad on the engine side of things.

Crytek, wat r u doing?

a916

They won't do that. Microsoft tried to buy the Ryse IP, and Crytek shut them down. Apparently pride is more important than a functioning company.

Considering they desperately need money, giving up an IP like that after doing all that work would be foolish (just look at Far Cry). Having your own IP > having to work for someone else always.

They could sell it if they were desperate enough and if they were desperate enough, they are probably close to closing down so that wouldn't matter either way.

MilkyJoe

Is this even legal? I'm not familiar with the UK legal system.

Yep
You basically change the job title and say that the old role is redundant, However, this role is available if you want it... With the three months notice period tacked on.

It's basically laughing in the face of the law that says if a role is made redundant the employer must offer first refusal to the employee on any suitable roles open within the company.

In a nutshell, UK people, your contract means shit.

My old company tried it, I consulted two lawyer, best advice was if its a Company wide initiative then band together and be strong, call their bluff and don't sign onto the new role. I rallied the troops and 5 out of 6 in my dept held their nerve and the company eventually re-wrote our offers of re-employment with 4 weeks notice.

I cannot stress enough reading the fine print of your contract, especially holiday entitlement. Question everything you do not fully understand.

robo

They are Nottingham based, near where I live. There's fuck all else job wise in gaming close by. Maybe a reason why some stay. 3 months notice isn't even rare for some firms. Spent 5 years on that long a notice period. Most firms will let you go if you have secured another role elsewhere, keeps pad press at bay.

Currently on 1 months notice my sde, a week employers side! Let's stick it to the worker 😁lol.

Sooooo they're trying to force these people to stay as long as possible...without actually paying them properly?

So...who's going to pick up the Timesplitters IP?

Culex

Banned
If you're not being paid then the 3 month window should not be enforced or be valid. Most people would have defaulted on their homes/cars without pay for 90 days.

I would just say take me to court

JohnGrimm

Considering they desperately need money, giving up an IP like that after doing all that work would be foolish (just look at Far Cry). Having your own IP > having to work for someone else always.
Paying your employees & staying afloat > Owning an IP

If MSFT owned Ryse, Crytek wouldn't necessarily end up developing the sequel, either. If I owned it, I would give the reigns to a studio that could more competently develop a fighting game. Not one that focuses on flashy FPS games.

MilkyJoe

They are Nottingham based, near where I live. There's fuck all else job wise in gaming close by. Maybe a reason why some stay. 3 months notice isn't even rare for some firms. Spent 5 years on that long a notice period. Most firms will let you go if you have secured another role elsewhere, keeps pad press at bay.

Currently on 1 months notice my sde, a week employers side! Let's stick it to the worker 😁lol.

Check that, I believe It's one weeks notice for every year employed. I was made redundant and got 1 1/2 months gardening leave, that was on top of 4 weeks consultation period, so 2 and a half months at home... Paid

Damn. I didn't know it was that bad on the engine side of things.

Crytek, wat r u doing?

Now, my posts are about Crytek's "new" Engine As A Service program, where you pay $10 a month and get access, or lack there of, to CryEngine. It's what they are using to try and compete with Epic and their $20 a month Unreal Engine 4.

I have heard that support and documentation for Cryengine license holders is basically the same, but I can't confirm.

Kainazzo

Apologies if this has been discussed already or I'm thinking of a different developer, but doesn't Crytek thrive off of contracts with the US military? I thought they had a studio dedicated to making simulations that made good money, it just didn't have to do with the public. Is this not true?

BenouKat

Banned
Is this going to be tweeted on #RyseFacts this time ? :) Come on Crytek, overtime and night meal was so cool and so fun, a massive wage shutdown must be like a dream no ?

...... Damn, this company just go wrong to wrong every year. Hope every people who works their will find something else.

Aretak

This has all been rather surprising to me. I assumed Crytek were doing well before all this started. Sucks for the employees, but I can't say I'll miss... Crysis and Ryse? They're the only Crytek games I can even think of actually. No doubt someone will be along to pick the bones for the Crysis IP though.

At the rate this is going Microsoft is going to get the rights to Ryse at the fire sale anyway, so I'm not really sure why they're so adamant about keeping the IP (which frankly doesn't seem all that valuable to me in this instance) rather than securing continued work to fund their operations.Crytek is a victim of poor management.

Seriously. This was a completely avoidable fate if they had some people with a fucking brain.

"Sir, we are pretty desperate for cash, we don't be able to pay our employees. Microsoft wants us to sell them the rights to Ryse." "We can use that money to secure funding till Homefront is finished."

"...Naaaaaa"

Top Bottom