• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Culdcept Saga (360) footage from TGS

Bebpo

Banned
Looks ok. I don't really understand how the game works so I can't tell if I should be happy or not with the X360 version's gfx. I had thought the cards would fight each other in full 3d battles...but I guess cards throwing rocks at each other is how it is?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Bebpo said:
Looks ok. I don't really understand how the game works so I can't tell if I should be happy or not with the X360 version's gfx. I had thought the cards would fight each other in full 3d battles...but I guess cards throwing rocks at each other is how it is?

It appears so. I've never played a Culdcept game before, but I figured they would take a more Etherlords style approach to the combat, oh well.

Culdcept fights have always involved the cards being torn, punched, burned, etc... It has never had visual representations of the actual monsters.

Culdcept is a lot like Monopoly, combined with a collectible card game.

Basically it is monopoly, except when you land on a property, you can either install a monster if you have one in your cards at which point you own it, or if someone else owns it, you can fight them for it, again with a monster card (if you have one).

You do see the monsters attack, sort of, but from their card form, not their isometric board from. At least in the PS2 version. (Which could pass for a SNES game, graphically, other than the cutscenes)

Vark

Bebpo said:

*twitch*

go get the PS2 version. You can get it used for like 5 bucks.

Since it takes after Monopoly, games can get lllooonnngggg. Having all out 3d battles would just prolong it.

As it is it's just like 'here's your card and your opponents card' then you can use buttons to pick a modifier, then they show the results, then the battle is over after the quick animation.

Its more a board game than a card battling game.

Sysgen

Bebpo said:

Prepare to be have a new addiction. The gameplay in the PS2 version with the AI becomes predictable but this version will add the human element. Hopefully they've improved the AI a bit.

trancejeremy said:
At least in the PS2 version. (Which could pass for a SNES game, graphically, other than the cutscenes)
Not at that resolution, and not with the amount of detail and color it has.

It'll be really nice to finally get this in the US with online play. :) The Japanese DC and PS2 versions of the game had online play, but it was stripped out when it came to the US.

I expect graphical complaints about the 360 version, too, when the way it looks is really a stylistic choice. The card art is as great as ever. :)

Speevy

Banned
I fear this game may sell all of 200 copies, but I'll buy one of them. Awesome. I was just playing Culdcept today. I almost have all the cards.

Aaron

Day one for me when it hits the US. Doesn't look any different gameplay-wise from the last two installments, but it was a great multi-player game already. Also those unfamiliar, the vid showed the very first game board. The others are larger and more complicated, making for a more challenging and lengthy game experience.

Top Bottom