• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Curly Sue auditions for The Voice (spoiler: it's epic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Curly Sue got clean, got married, and has got pipes.

I don't watch music shows, but I'm a huge softie for the "underdog" stories that get posted on social media or news sources. The fat burrito guy or the chubby old dirty British woman who can sing opera. That stuff just makes me tear up. Then there's this.

This is the best (well, one of the only) covers of Blue Bayou I've ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwAFxZmCqeU

Alison Porter, former child star, former addict turned wife and mom and I guarantee this will be her comeback.

I love how fast the three guys slammed their buzzer thingies.

Curly Sue can sing!

Former child star Alisan Porter starred in the title role of John Hughes' 1991 film, and now over a decade later she's letting her true passion shine on The Voice.

Porter, 34, wowed coaches Blake Shelton, Christina Aguilera, Pharrell Williams and Adam Levine with her cover of Roy Orbison's song "Blue Bayou."

After revealing to Aguilera that she's been singing since age 5, even making it onto Star Search, Porter surprised all the coaches by revealing that she starred in Curly Sue.

"I was an actress when I was very young. It’s not my passion. This is my passion," Porter said.

"In life you take risks, walk through fear, do the unthinkable. For what is life without living. I am a singer, that's what I am and what I have always been. I'm letting the world know, I am ready," she wrote on Instagram.

bengraven

I always wondered what happened to her.

Same. I loved that movie to death as a kid. They played it on HBO every day for months. The fucking ending still gets me, when she thinks he's not coming back.

I blame that for me making a thread about a show I normally don't care about on NeoGAF.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I hate to be that guy, and she can sing, but that's a studio plant and completely scripted, including the button timing.

jett

D-Member
Well that was amazing. I've seen that movie so many times when I was a kid, it's nice that she turned her life around.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I hate to be that guy, and she can sing, but that's a studio plant and completely scripted, including the button timing.
Of course. All of these things are super fake and have been since that first season of American Idol when it became a money spinner.

bengraven

25 years ago is quite a bit of "over a decade later"...

Yeeeeah, I smirked at that.

Girl is just two years younger than me and when Curly Sue came out we were in the first Iraq war and I had just got my first-gen Gameboy.

I know it's always a plant, but I'd be disappointed if the judges were aware of her from the beginning and the button timing was scripted. Maybe, but I try not to think of it I guess, much like if I were a WWE fan I guess.

oti

Banned

Could you elaborate more on this please. I stopped watching TV like 7 years ago and I had no idea The Voice was a thing for a very long time. I'm completely out of the loop.

Randam

Could you elaborate more on this please. I stopped watching TV like 7 years ago and I had no idea The Voice was a thing for a very long time. I'm completely out of the loop.

think he means the judges knew that "little" Curly Sue was going to sing on the show that evening, and that they were told to give her a yes and maybe even when and who first.

Tripolygon

Banned
Basically every season has that one once famous or almost famous person who comes to the show as "anonymous" and wows the "unsuspecting" judges who go "ooooh I know you" and they go yes and tell their tragic tales, but they usually never win.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Basically every season has that one once famous or almost famous person who comes to the show as "anonymous" and wows the "unsuspecting" judges who go "ooooh I know you" and they go yes and tell their tragic tales, but they usually never win.

In the UK they have a few of those but this season I don't think they've picked any? You still get the preamble and the 'oh I know you'. It'd be sad to hear it was too scripted.

ferr

Never heard of this movie- except that it's been suddenly popping up on Amazon Prime for the past couple of months.... CONSPIRACY

bengraven

Never heard of this movie- except that it's been suddenly popping up on Amazon Prime for the past couple of months.... CONSPIRACY

It's funny for a late 80s/early 90s style B-comedy. Has some good heart to it as well. Kind of like Annie if Annie had a sucker punch and was being adopted by one of the Wet Bandits from Home Alone.

Tripolygon

Banned
In the UK they have a few of those but this season I don't think they've picked any? You still get the preamble and the 'oh I know you'. It'd be sad to hear it was too scripted.
I haven't watched the season yet, been too busy. But last season did have one and you could totally tell when they are going off script vs spontaneous genuine reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom