• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Cover Art - Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts for your favorite games

Jigolo

EZnWfNE.jpg

thanks, GAF. This generation should be interesting, I love these custom covers.

Was 84 cents at Office Depot with the glossy paper (which looks great)

hurzelein

Wow these look amazing! Wouldn't have thought selfmade boxes would look so similar to the original. Where did you get the high-res photos of the gameboy covers? Some specific website or just google?

I am interested in Super Mario Land and Tetris myself. Would probably buy 2 DS boxes and fit them to these dimensions. Your array of Card-stock boxes looks amazing but for just 2 games I dread the effort.

Had a play around with these today as this month I finally got around to playing the series. I played MGS back in '09, and always meant to play the rest, so I picked up the HD collection and got hooked, finished 2 & 3 this month and started on 4.

They're not done (no spine art yet, the titles are on the front), so feedback welcome. :) Still waiting on hi-res versions of the art I used for the V cover.

Looks great, wish I had some spare boxes/discs and a good printer, mine is way too lame to make anything half decent.

Just wanted to let you know though, that the XOF badge is not simply a mirrored FOX badge. It's colors are inverted, with a black fox and a yellow background.

Grief.exe

Wow these look amazing! Wouldn't have thought selfmade boxes would look so similar to the original. Where did you get the high-res photos of the gameboy covers? Some specific website or just google?

I am interested in Super Mario Land and Tetris myself. Would probably buy 2 DS boxes and fit them to these dimensions. Your array of Card-stock boxes looks amazing but for just 2 games I dread the effort.

I either make them myself, the background in Minish cap is completely custom made, or look for high-res wallpapers I can use, see: Metroid and Castlevania covers. The back and spines are completely custom made, I've found that using one solid color seems to work the best for folding.

Older GB games are much harder to find high-res stock to use. I'm using 300 ppi, so the resolution is quite large. I did manage to find a fairly high-resolution image for Super Mario Land 2, and I am trying to make a Kirby's Dreamland 2 box right now.

If you are just looking to make DS cases, here is the place to go http://www.thecoverproject.net/

hurzelein

Older GB games are much harder to find high-res stock to use. I'm using 300 ppi, so the resolution is quite large. I did manage to find a fairly high-resolution image for Super Mario Land 2, and I am trying to make a Kirby's Dreamland 2 box right now.
[/url]

Yeah that's what I meant, was pretty focused on the Super Mario Land cover, shame that these are so rare in high or even medium res. Great work!

Zajora

In response to one of the messages I sent out to the authors of the covers which had lost their hosting, TheCongressman1 messaged me with re-uploaded versions of some of his covers that had been lost. Here are the previews, with fulls available in the Dropbox:

The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20-%20Skyward%20Sword%20%281%29_2.jpgsmall.png
The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20-%20Skyward%20Sword%20(3)_2.jpgsmall.png
The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20-%20Skyward%20Sword%20(2)_2.jpgsmall.png

Okay. Someone posted a Blu-Ray-sized template earlier in this thread right?
Well, I found an existing Blu-Ray template and modified it a bit. I believe it's the correct size, but if AuthenticM printed the cover I made using it then he would probably know better.

How does 3118x1748 compare to the dimensions of your Xbox One template?

Edit: Also, I just added all the covers from the past few pages to the Dropbox. If anyone notices that I missed one of your covers, please let me know. :)

If anyone here was at the Eurogamer Expo in London back in September and went to the Assassins Creed IV booth, they might have received a certain card. I liked the card so much, I redrew it in Photoshop and adapted it to a cover.

Well, I found an existing Blu-Ray template and modified it a bit. I believe it's the correct size, but if AuthenticM printed the cover I made using it then he would probably know better.

I haven't yet, but this post made me realize that La vie d'Adèle came out on blu-ray last week, so that's my cue for buying it. I'll print its custom cover you made for me and report back here.

Also, you've been gone a while, dude. I miss your work.

Edit: Also, I just added all the covers from the past few pages to the Dropbox. If anyone notices that I missed one of your covers, please let me know. :)

I've been working up templates for things we don't have, and all of the templates I've done have both minimal and full configurations.

All of these have been tested in US Cases, but not Japanese/European
- Nintendo DS Template [HERE]
- GameCube Template [HERE]
- GameBoy Advance Template [HERE] (For DS Cases)
- PSVita Template [HERE]

I'd love to get them added to the OP. I just finished up my Mother 3 Case as well.
ilq9w6SqKjWYE.jpg

Full Resolution Case for Printing [HERE]

Jb

If anyone here was at the Eurogamer Expo in London back in September and went to the Assassins Creed IV booth, they might have received a certain card. I liked the card so much, I redrew it in Photoshop and adapted it to a cover.

That is gorgeous. Thanks a lot!

I noticed the new templates ThatsMyTrunks's put up and figured I would port my VLR cover over to PSVita as well. Hopefully it came out fine (I used the template's bleed edge and cut mark layers):

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (PSVita)

xgyv5klaiddylrl6g.jpg

You're supposed to turn off the semi-transparent bleed margins. That's just for full-bleed printing purposes.

Zajora

I haven't yet, but this post made me realize that La vie d'Adèle came out on blu-ray last week, so that's my cue for buying it. I'll print its custom cover you made for me and report back here.

Also, you've been gone a while, dude. I miss your work.

Excellent.

On that note, I actually forgot that I had started working on a Frozen cover for you awhile ago. Well, really I had just copied the logos into the template, but still.

What do you think of these? I could make them with the French version of the title if you'd like:

Edit:see below

Does anyone have a DoA5 PS3 cover?

I checked the dropbox and the other cover sites out there and I could not find one

If there isn't one in the Dropbox (there doesn't seem to be, I checked) then there shouldn't be one elsewhere in this thread (unless I missed it, of course).

Since there wasn't one, I made one for you:

On that note, I actually forgot that I had started working on a Frozen cover for you awhile ago. Well, really I had just copied the logos into the template, but still.

What do you think of these? I could make them with the French version of the title if you'd like:

Oh man. I like them ! Thank you. The second one is perfect ! Nice touch with the iced-up blu-ray logo. :)

I also very much like the first one, although I'd like to request some slight modifications of it, if that's okay.
1. parts of the "@2013 Disney" can be seen in the bottom right corner of the front cover; I'd like it to be gone.
2. could you replace the black blu-ray logo with the iced-up one from the second cover ? The black is kinda jarring.
3. Could you modify its title so that it doesn't appear to be "carved into" the background ? Maybe take one of the titles from these images ? I'd like it to be more iced-up. There's also this variant, if it proves too hard to make it look good.

And yes, I'd appreciate it very much if you could also make a version of both with the French title.

Thanks !

Zajora

Oh man. I like them ! Thank you. The second one is perfect ! Nice touch with the iced-up blu-ray logo. :)

I also very much like the first one, although I'd like to request some slight modifications of it, if that's okay.
1. parts of the "@2013 Disney" can be seen in the bottom right corner of the front cover; I'd like it to be gone.
2. could you replace the black blu-ray logo with the iced-up one from the second cover ? The black is kinda jarring.
3. Could you modify its title so that it doesn't appear to be "carved into" the background ? Maybe take one of the titles from these images ? I'd like it to be more iced-up. There's also this variant, if it proves too hard to make it look good.

And yes, I'd appreciate it very much if you could also make a version of both with the French title.

Thanks !

Heh, I hadn't noticed that copyright in the corner there. Good catch :p

I had originally changed the Blu-Ray logo on the first one too, but I thought it was too hard to see when it was more transparent. I'll see if I can make it more visible though.

I can't use that first image for the title, unless you want it half-blended into the other image, and with the thanksgiving text there. The second one is actually the title I had originally, but I thought it looked a bit tacky/out of place.

I changed the names around earlier, so the links broke. Here are all versions:

Which version(s) would you like in French?

sector4

That is fantastic!

Here's a Wolf Among Us one I did, it's kind of pointless since it doesn't have a disc version yet, but I was kind of bored haha!

Thanks guys. Printed a few out and they look great! Weird thing was that Staples said a couple of them were oversized, but I just think they didn't do the printing correctly.

These two are my favorites, and I'd very much like them also in French. I believe I have linked a hi-res image of the French logo two or three pages back.

I have some last touches I would like for you to put on these. For both, could you move the "Frozen" title on the side so it's more centered ? As it is, it's on the lower end. And for the right one, could you vertically move the title on the front cover so that the distance between the top end of the image and the "Disney" logo is the same as the distance between the bottom of the "Frozen" logo and the top of Elsa's head ? Sorry for being anal about this.

Thanks a lot.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
No idea if anyone will have much use of this, but considering the game is out soon I thought it could be handy to make a vector version of the Ground Zeroes logo available (it's on Gamespress if you've got access to that):

uc

Colours are, if for some reason they are lost in translation, the following:

Red

C: 0%
M: 100%
Y: 100%
K: 0%

Black

C: 0%
M: 0%
Y: 0%
K: 100%

RedSwirl

Anyone working on that Xbox One minimal template? I haven't had the time to do it yet but I know we gotta just replace the art on the Blu-Ray template. It'd be nice to see it happen before Titanfall comes out.

It'd be nice if someone could do it for the 3D template too.

Zajora

Anyone working on that Xbox One minimal template? I haven't had the time to do it yet but I know we gotta just replace the art on the Blu-Ray template. It'd be nice to see it happen before Titanfall comes out.

It'd be nice if someone could do it for the 3D template too.

Are we sure the Xbox One covers are the same size as Blu-Ray? I did some Googling and got a lot of conflicting information. Many people are saying the boxes are the same size, but some say the cover art is taller for the Xbox One.

RedSwirl

Are we sure the Xbox One covers are the same size as Blu-Ray? I did some Googling and got a lot of conflicting information. Many people are saying the boxes are the same size, but some say the cover art is taller for the Xbox One.

It's been confirmed in this thread.

Didnt check your template, but just checked IRL, and my Blu Ray (Ninja Turtle Trilogy Pack) and my Xbox One (Battlefield 4) cover art's, are identical in dimensions.

Neolith

Wow been on gaf for a couple years and just found this thread. I'm thinking of going digital for this gen, are there any good places to get empty ps4 sized cases?

Zajora

These two are my favorites, and I'd very much like them also in French. I believe I have linked a hi-res image of the French logo two or three pages back.

I have some last touches I would like for you to put on these. For both, could you move the "Frozen" title on the side so it's more centered ? As it is, it's on the lower end. And for the right one, could you vertically move the title on the front cover so that the distance between the top end of the image and the "Disney" logo is the same as the distance between the bottom of the "Frozen" logo and the top of Elsa's head ? Sorry for being anal about this.

Thanks a lot.

Well, he's gone and gotten himself banned, but at least he can still read this:

Updated the two you liked to have centered spine logos, and the right one's front logo is centered between Elsa's head and the top.

English Versions:

French versions:

This thread has many incredible covers; and some—particularly the Zelda one—are exceptionally better than any game cover I've ever seen.

However, I wouldn't call the majority of these covers minimal. Solely removing lettering and logos doesn't necessarily result in minimalism. Anyways, you guys are awesome. I'll be printing a few of these, thanks!

Zajora

This thread has many incredible covers; and some—particularly the Zelda one—are exceptionally better than any game cover I've ever seen.

However, I wouldn't call the majority of these covers minimal. Solely removing lettering and logos doesn't necessarily result in minimalism. Anyways, you guys are awesome. I'll be printing a few of these, thanks!

Well, in all fairness the title is "Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts." Personally I don't make my covers with minimalism in mind, but just what I think looks good.

RedSwirl

I guess this weekend I should at least take a crack at the Xbox One template, but I really don't know how I'll be able to size the text correctly even if it's true that the case art dimensions are the same as Blu-Ray.

Is anyone working on some day 1 Dark Souls 2 custom covers? The NA box art is dreadful.

Problem is, I like the NA box art.

thanks, GAF. This generation should be interesting, I love these custom covers.

Was 84 cents at Office Depot with the glossy paper (which looks great)

That looks stunning.

We need a template for Xbox One, after the suggestion in the Titanfall Beta thread i want to turn this
titanfall___titans_dropping_by_mdk7-d774978.jpg

into a cover.
I'll do it soon, any particular advice? (it's my first time)

Could definitely use an alternate cover for Titanfall and I like this one.

DedValve

Banned
Has there been any Walking Dead S1 & S2 covers?

I can imagine some of the creative talent here making some incredibly beautiful (and fucking depressing ;_; ) covers. I want to shed a tear everytime I look at the cover.
oh god what am I asking for?

Zajora

Has there been any Walking Dead S1 & S2 covers?

I can imagine some of the creative talent here making some incredibly beautiful (and fucking depressing ;_; ) covers. I want to shed a tear everytime I look at the cover.
oh god what am I asking for?

It doesn't look like there are any in the Dropbox. Someone might be willing to make one for you, but you should specify which console (Especially since Wikipedia tells me "Currently the game is available for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Microsoft Windows, iOS, OS X PlayStation Vita, and Kindle Fire HDX.[7] An Ouya version is planned for release in early 2014.")

Been looking for this image in high-resolution without the logos

5007385.jpg

I did find a fairly large version, but you can tell from the artifacts it has been upscaled. I also don't mind the red version either

I found a slightly larger version. You may have already found this one, though. The tumblr version was 1280x1826, this one is 1565x2232. It still has ugly JPEG artifacts in the sky, though.

hurzelein

I found a slightly larger version. You may have already found this one, though. The tumblr version was 1280x1826, this one is 1565x2232. It still has ugly JPEG artifacts in the sky, though.

The artifacts are just in the sky, everything else looks pretty sharp in Zajoas image, right? I think I can fix the sky artifacts easily over the weekend, have to write a university paper till friday but then I would like to try it.

Which logos did you want to have removed @ Grief?
Just the logos on the border that were in the other images or also the "Resident Evil 4" logo of this picture?

Top Bottom