Custom Cover Art - Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts for your favorite games

Alrite guys, I need your help.

I've been working on the action script that converts the regular cover art into the 3D previews. Currently the way it works is quite time consuming, as the script only works for one cover at a time.

The new one is javascript based which means its alot more flexible and powerful. The way it works is, you save all your cover art into a single folder, then run the script which will automatically convert all of those images.

I need some folks to help test out the script before I post it, namely those who have Photoshop CS2-5, 32bit or 64bit, Windows or Mac. Please note that the script as it stands now only works on PS3 covers. If you can help out, please send me a PM with your Photoshop version and operating system and I will forward you the necessary files to test with.

Thanks! :)
 
I noticed that the Blu-ray area of this thread seems lacking, so here's my contribution.



I wanted the cover to match 2.22's minimalistic one, which I really like. I'm looking for the font 1.11 and 2.22 are using on its spines. Currently (not seen), I have Arial.

Template is from DeviantArt, and I forgot who made it. Does anyone have a good Blu-ray box template like those 3D ones?
 
Rengoku said:
Alrite guys, I need your help.

I've been working on the action script that converts the regular cover art into the 3D previews. Currently the way it works is quite time consuming, as the script only works for one cover at a time.
Oh, that's awesome. Although, I just have a few to do so I don't think I'll need that much power, but for you guys that have tons of them, this sounds great.

Which brings up an important question: Does anybody have the Wii box template?

Also, I hate to be "that guy", but if someone could give me some feedback on my Skyward Sword covers from last page, it would be appreciated. If there's anything you think could be improved on, please let me know.
 
Updated a bit, still shuffling text around and such. Spent a lot of time organizing my layers so it may be possible to make more than just this case heh. Kept the text cheesy, if you read the back of the original SMB box it may seem more than a bit familiar.

 
TheCongressman1 said:
Really nice job so far on the retro SMG box!



Give it to me!

please?

I used the minimalistic wii cover on the front page, then for 3d used the 360 3d cover, changed the green to white with a simple overlay in the blend settings(too lazy to do it another way), and let it do its thing.
 
Borman said:
I used the minimalistic wii cover on the front page, then for 3d used the 360 3d cover, changed the green to white with a simple overlay in the blend settings(too lazy to do it another way), and let it do its thing.
Ah, well I can do it that way then. I guess I should have just done that to start with. Thanks!
 
TheCongressman1 said:
Ah, well I can do it that way then. I guess I should have just done that to start with.
Im no good when it comes to making a fancy script like that, so I figured that would be the easiest way of doing it. The size may be slightly off by a few pixels, but its easily resized for the 3d art.
 
Borman said:
Im no good when it comes to making a fancy script like that, so I figured that would be the easiest way of doing it. The size may be slightly off by a few pixels, but its easily resized for the 3d art.
I've just gotten into the programming scene myself, but I'm still not sure how to use this 'magic box art' script.
 
neojubei said:
Could anyone upload Ico & SotC Collection (Rengoku) art thats not on mediafire?
Here you go: http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=icosotccollectionps3_ciut1.png

TheCongressman1 said:
I've just gotten into the programming scene myself, but I'm still not sure how to use this 'magic box art' script.
At the moment, the script is somewhat limited, as it requires the cover image to be a specific resolution. This will be addressed in the new script thats currently being tested. I'm also working on the script for other consoles. Stay tuned :)
 
I should be doing hw said:
You don't have any higher res photos than that? I'd really like to see how these fit into the cases in detail.
Hmm the max res flickr allows me will be 1024x683:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28537954@N04/6094977097/sizes/l/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28537954@N04/6094975157/sizes/l/in/photostream/

And I'm lazy to take the pics up close...i would say it fits just nice, most of the custom cover arts here are already in the correct sizes. So just print it out and it would fit nicely.
 
I'm LOVING the retro NES style cases for the Wii games...makes me want to get a wii just to have those games with that boxart.

Well done. I'm going to work on some 360 ones tomorrow. My eyes are not in a good enough way to look at photoshop tonight.
 
For the NES style boxes, you have to take screenshots yourself. Run your Wii through the oldest CRT telly you can find and take off-screen pics just like how they used to do it :D
 
Am I the only one who hates the PS3//GFWL (ugh!)/360 tags? They are crappy on official covers, and these custom covers would look a lot better without them, too.

Great contributions otherwise!
 
Borman said:
Working on something fun:


Obviously, lots to change and finish. Wish I could find some nice 8-bit Galaxy stuff, maybe Ill just make it myself later. Need food though, so this is as far as it goes for now. (Used the 360 3d template, so its a bit off)
Any way you could offer that as a PSD template?
 
Making progress. I now have 5 posts at the start of the thread to play with thanks to Stump and Nirolak.

Posts #2 & #3 are the most UP TO DATE LIST I have. I'm updated to about post #54 or whatever # the minimal Lost Odyssey cover was on the 2nd page!
 
Quick said:
I noticed that the Blu-ray area of this thread seems lacking, so here's my contribution.

<evabluray.jpg>

I wanted the cover to match 2.22's minimalistic one, which I really like. I'm looking for the font 1.11 and 2.22 are using on its spines. Currently (not seen), I have Arial.

Template is from DeviantArt, and I forgot who made it. Does anyone have a good Blu-ray box template like those 3D ones?
Good idea. I always hated that the first one was released in a cardboard case and the second one in a standard case with a slipcover.
 
Awesomeness overload, my frail mind can't handle it!

Can I request Ridge Racer 7 and Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction ones? Those are the only ones I have missing to complete my (paltry) 10 game collection.
 
I posted this in the last thread, but I'll post it again here in hopes that someone can do me a solid.

Anyone want to take a stab at Okamiden (DS) for me?

I got it for my girlfriend when she was in the hospital, but apparently the box got left behind.
 

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Serious lack of 360 love in this thread. I suck at this hard, but I gave it a shot anyways:

Halo: Reach



Halo: Reach (with spine)



Halo: ODST



Halo: ODST (with spine)




Hope I did this right.
 
I'd love to start helping out with this stuff, since I'm a graphic designer and have an eye for things, but where in hell do you guys find these high res gaming artwork images?
 
ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
Good idea. I always hated that the first one was released in a cardboard case and the second one in a standard case with a slipcover.
Same here. Really hated that they went with a standard case with a slipcover. But at the same time, I wasn't such a huge fan of the 1.11 cover image.

And they'll probably release all 4 movies in a set, and/or in separate sets with a consistent appearance. AND I'll probably buy it.

RDreamer said:
I'd love to start helping out with this stuff, since I'm a graphic designer and have an eye for things, but where in hell do you guys find these high res gaming artwork images?
Google images. Search for which game you'd like, set image results size on the left side to preferred size.
 

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Marvel Edition)



Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Capcom Edition)



The text was inspired by another MvC3 piece, but I can't seem to find it atm.