• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Next Xbox Event scheduled for April 26th

Biggzy

If they do what I expect, it will be great (for them). If they do what I want, it'll be great (for me). I expect it to be great for them. Selling to the hardcore ala Sony would be stupid. They need to show a healthy mix of everything. I just want to see next gen games.

I want to see kick ass games too, but I expect to see them more at E3. So I have tuned my expectations to see how they do plan to make this the only entertainment device I will need and I am interested.

Pistolero

Nah. MS not reacting at all shows confidence IMO.

Euh,no! It shows neither confidence, nor dispair.They just have a plan and stick to it. The same goes for Sony, of course. Those suggesting that Sony scrambled the presentation a week in advance out of fear (Oh my god!) are obviously oblivious to the efforts and preparation time needed to organize such an event...
But I've read even more insane commentaries on GAF, so that lesses its impact...

Aside from lots if fast memory the ps4 conference was underwhelming. I will probably get a ps4 but they really need to quit relying on pretty yet crappy games like killzone. Once naughty dog shows some stuff I will probably be hyped for the ps4 but so far the first party offerings are a bunch of lackluster series that have little value to me. Uncharted and last guardian announcement will probably be a huge selling point. Oh and I'm glad the ps4 controller looks ergonomic this time!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sony's real message of the night was the fact they learned there lesson. That meeting was basically geared toward the developers and community. MS will still drive home the fact that it's a gaming console imo
I think they'll drive home "everything you had on the 360 is here, including gaming, and more!"

I think people are underestimating MS' approach more than anything, and now that PS4 hype has significantly died down in mainstream press, and certain missteps in the announcement are becoming more and more clear, all they've done is given MS the upper hand to fill the holes Sony failed to in their initial, premature reveal, such as showing the box, 3D camera capabilities and showing expanded media capabilities. MS wants to fill in all the blanks at once, Sony wants to do them sequentially. Does this mean the gaming blank won't be filled in entirely? Not necessarily. When it comes to an actual presentation, games still take up the bulk of the time, and always have. Much of the other stuff is mentioned in dramatically presented bullets or brief demos, and I don't expect that to change.

In my head, press will forget about the PS4 when Microsoft shows their Kinect-based UI, fancy media switching and running multiple games simultaneously, and the sizzle that will bring in the mainstream press vs. Sony showing a bunch of pretty games and 8GBDDR5 will be much larger. What will the majority of gamers favour? Impossible to say until we've seen the games themselves, which will still be the deciding factor.

TBH I think MS has the upper hand right now because I agree with their strategy, it just remains to be seen if they have the better software, of which I don't have much confidence if I'm not looking at rumours and just looking at the past few years of exclusives I care for.

RetroStu

Banned
Imo the 720 will still be mainly a games console but a games console that does 'everything' if you know what i mean, if Microsoft only cared about a media box then they would make a media box and sell it for $200 instead of making a box with an 8 core cpu and 8gig of ram driving the cost up etc.
Sure Microsoft want all this extra stuff with the 720 as they will be able to make money out of it but Xbox Live makes them a huge amount of money and i remember reading an article from years ago saying that Microsoft and Sony make most of their money from game sales rather than hardware and thats why they can afford to sell systems at a loss so gaming is still very much in Microsofts minds imo, plus everyone including Microsoft know that anyone buying the 720 will be buying it for games first and formost.

Euh,no! It shows neither confidence, nor dispair.They just have a plan and stick to it. The same goes for Sony, of course. Those suggesting that Sony scrambled the presentation a week in advance out of fear (Oh my god!) are obviously oblivious to the efforts and preparation time needed to organize such an event...
But I've read even more insane commentaries on GAF, so that lesses its impact...

There are several things indicating that Sony's event has indeed been rushed. Now, whether that's true and whether that would be out of "fear" or some other reasons, I wouldn't know, but Sony are certainly not just sticking to their plan. Microsoft has already forced their hand, and I'm not talking about the unveiling event. PS4 has gone from targeting 2 gigs of memory to 4 gigs, and finally to 8 gigs. While the first increase might have been more due to developers' pressure, the second one was obviously (and Sony admitted as much themselves, if Edge is to be believed) an attempt to match Durango's 8 GB. It might prove a smart move in the long run or it might become a financial burden, but if Sony were just sticking to their plan, PS4 would now be a different machine.

As for Microsoft, we'll see two months from now.

Kinect? xD

I hope they focus the April event in games, and E3 event focussed in all (including Kinect, services, etc).

I've said a few times now thats what I think will happen. E3 gets so much more coverage from the mainstream so would make sense to go all out on the things that would appeal to them at E3. Focus more on the games at their own event.

Us as gamers really will find out all the information regardless on how/when it is presented so from a business perspective is makes sense for Microsoft to appeal to the wider audience when they have their attention.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've said a few times now thats what I think will happen. E3 gets so much more coverage from the mainstream so would make sense to go all out on the things that would appeal to them at E3. Focus more on the games at their own event.

Us as gamers really will find out all the information regardless on how/when it is presented so from a business perspective is makes sense for Microsoft to appeal to the wider audience when they have their attention.
E3 gets more coverage than one-off events they hype up as being the future of a core brand and product for the company?

Not really. E3 comes and goes, especially when there is no new hardware being announced. One-off events, journalists have to go out of their way for, cause they're not a yearly thing. And that means they put out more content too. Plus, it's more likely a rep from The View will be on-site at that one-off event than E3.

Microsoft will respond by showing only the console, with no games.

In all seriousness, did he really tweet that? That's the most flaccid attempt at damage control I've ever seen.
Yeah he did.

I don't think they'll really just show the console. But it will be shown

Biggzy

E3 gets more coverage than one-off events they hype up as being the future of a core brand and product for the company?

Not really. E3 comes and goes, especially when there is no new hardware being announced. One-off events, journalists have to go out of their way for, cause they're not a yearly thing. And that means they put out more content too. Plus, it's more likely a rep from The View will be on-site at that one-off event than E3.

This is why Microsoft will hammer home that point of an entertainment box at their event, and put more of the gaming content at E3.

Microsoft will respond by showing only the console, with no games.

In all seriousness, did he really tweet that? That's the most flaccid attempt at damage control I've ever seen.

It's Larry Hyrb. He is paid to promote team Xbox.

VVV Mars VG

Looking forward to it, what I expect/want to see:

Kick ass graphics
Backward compatibility and moving Live purchases across with gamertag
Kinect 2 (boring I know but this should be a much better example of their vision)
Blu Ray enabled

Rather than a selection of PC games upgraded (but still look like PC games) I'd like to see just a small selection of titles, 5-6 that really blow my mind. It only takes 1 to be decision maker.

daveo42

Banned
Yeah he did.

I don't think they'll really just show the console. But it will be shown

That close to E3, I wouldn't doubt it. Console, games, tech demos, partnerships will all be discussed most likely.

I more curious on what approach MS will use for the announcement. Straight up games/console/controller blast or something similar to Sony's to build up hype going into E3? I think they have several options to go with based on them not announcing till April.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That close to E3, I wouldn't doubt it. Console, games, tech demos, partnerships will all be discussed most likely.

I more curious on what approach MS will use for the announcement. Straight up games/console/controller blast or something similar to Sony's to build up hype going into E3? I think they have several options to go with based on them not announcing till April.
I'm really curious about the format too.

I think Microsoft will be more "show" than "tell." I don't expect them to discuss specs in detail at all TBH, outside of bragging about space age chip technology and how unique the hardware is. They know most people don't give a fuck as long as the content is great; gamers included. MS is about the bottom line.

Mascot

Apologies for phoenixing this old(ish) thread, but is this Xbox event actually happening at the end of this month or not? Has it been semi-officially confirmed or denied anywhere?

Without the contract? If so, they're expecting a $100 price drop? I doubt it.

4GB Xbox 360s have been sold for $129.99 several times throughout the last year and a bit (at least in Canada). So it stands to reason they could probably make a profitable $99 Xbox 360 if they did a few things (like shrink down the Valhalla chip from 45nm to 32nm or 28nm, and remove the optical drive).

itsgreen

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

Amey

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

Just a gut feeling.

While all things about ps4 have been mixed but mostly positive.
An awful lot of negative response forums all over about Nextbox's rumors.
Some of it at least must lead to some re-strategizing in M$ camp. It's too late for re-designing anyway.

Got a feeling we may see role reversal from last gen. Nextbox coming spring'14.

Just a gut feeling.

Some of it at least must lead to some re-strategizing in M$ camp. It's too late for re-designing anyway.

well..

1) there's no negative response to Xbox3 since, Microsoft hasn't yet shown nor announce anything..
Just some discussion about not-yet-confirmed rumors

2) there are multiple third party games pre announced for "next gen consoles " that will comes out this year, then is much more plausible a 2013 release

3) X360 was announced during E3 2005 then released 5 months later. this time will be basically the same

4) Microsoft won't change a bit, after ps4 unveil, because they already know what the direct competitor would announce.

RPGamer92

Banned
So uh, is this April 26 event actually a thing? Because if it is, MS should prob officially announce their event soon...

stktt

Banned
Just a gut feeling.

I would hope that Microsoft isn't insecure enough to delay their console over some negative rumors being posted on the internet.

sflufan

Banned
So uh, is this April 26 event actually a thing? Because if it is, MS should prob officially announce their event soon...

No it's not and neither is the "May Event."

Just ignore everything you hear unless it comes from the MS horse mouth.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Just a gut feeling.

Not going to happen it is going to be a fall 2013 launch. Launching a console in the US during the spring would be sending it out to die. In the US the only window to launch a console is the fall holiday season. Now if you think a delay to main land EU to spring 2014 I could buy that.

Cyberia

Varth

No it's not and neither is the "May Event."

Just ignore everything you hear unless it comes from the MS horse mouth.

While not confirmed, I was given a deadline for an interview that was set on April 27, and it seemed suspicious. At the moment I didn't connect it to the rumoured date of the event, but given the subject of my questions and the title, it would make sense to think something's going down on 26. Maybe a media only event, with a public showing on may 21st? If that's the case, I'm not sure I like the "worst case scenario" that could come out of it regarding third party exclusives.

Could be just a coincidence and I'm reading too much into it, of course.

Top Bottom