• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2020 creator to SJW’s - Who the (bleep) do YOU think you are...

joe_zazen

But videogames? Or any other creative endeavour for that matter? What great benefit is there that minorities should be included?

(Continuing from an american perspective...)
Good question. I am no expert, but on imo:

On screen, it helps with global sales. Behind the scenes, it stops potential internet outrage, also increasing sales.

On a societal level, it helps with integration of communities. If you live and work with different types of people, chances are good you just start seeing them as people, not hyphenated people.

I am not arguing that there needs to be legislation to force %tages in entertainment. Just that programs that give say scholarships or internships etc to under represented groups are a net positive, and having an integrated workforce makes things better in terms of reducing actual racism and hate on all sides.

Also, i include ‘white trash’ (poor rural under educated folk without hope) in this discussion of the marginalised, as it seems like they are the only ones without a voice. Democrats have abandoned them and the one Republican pushing policies to help those communities is cast as literally hitler. No one in entertainment gives two fucks about them. Yet, having something that brings them into mainstream culture would be a good thing, just as it is a good thing for other groups. It is one of the ironies of inclusiveness movement that they fail to see marginalised mostly white communities because they are mostly white. I believe that they have the highest suicide rates currently (rural, poor, white), so yeah....

Ballthyrm

On a societal level, it helps with integration of communities. If you live and work with different types of people, chances are good you just start seeing them as people, not hyphenated people.

I think we have a big chicken and egg problem.
Minorities aren't making games about their communities because they aren't represented enough in current video games, so they never want to make video games in the first place.
I think most devs are giving a good effort on that issue but that's isn't enough apparently for internet.

Yes, the mostly white rich and educated games devs aren't the best people to understand the plight of minorities, who knew.
At one point, minorities will have to make the game themselves if they want to have their stories told.

joe_zazen

Currently, there is no negative discrimination against black people under US law. None whatsoever. I do understand the temptation some people might feel, faced with having no real arguments, to evoke the old Jim Crow days. But the present is dramatically different, unequivocally for the better, and any insinuation that it isn't only invites laughter.

People who make claims about systemic racism must first define their terms, which they hardly ever do, and then present evidence. Again, somehow, they just can't be bothered to do that. Evidence, it just burns their hands.

It's not a theory. It's epistemology, that which has allowed mankind to move forward in terms of knowledge like never before. You want to throw that away, revert back to the days of anecdotal evidence, because, well, at the moment it's convenient for you. Standards will not be lowered just because you seem unable or unwilling to meet them.

Yes and different people want different results. For example, there's a section of the political spectrum that will stop at nothing to try to bend reality in an attempt to have it behave the way they, in their utter brilliancy, think it should behave. To achieve this, they're ready and willing to encroach upon the freedom of others without a care in the world.

I, on the other hand, want maximal freedom for everyone to live their lives as they choose, provided they don't trespass upon the freedom of others.

Notice the difference?

Asserted, but not shown, therefore dismissed.

And here we have it.
The Orwellian notion that minorities have "representatives". Do millions and millions and millions of people think the same just because they're gay, Hispanic, asexual or trans? This is the totalitarian bent showing it's face, If you're a member of a minority, apparently you let go of your individuality. You have to think like the group, you have to subscribe to the approved Party line.

And these representative's, who exactly elected them? Ah, no one did! They were appointed because of their activism. Voice volume. Great criterion.

No one in his right mind would ever suggest arbitrary majorities, say, straight people, think alike. It's just patently absurd. The absurdity is not rendered any less absurd when applied to minorities.

You've contradicted yourself there, but I will let you figure out for yourself.

hypocrisy, contradiction, and irrationality are fundamental parts of humanity. If you don't recognise this, you will fail to understand how the world works and even who you are.

I brought up LA policing because it is an incredibly instructive lesson in recent history. Having black and Latino cops in black and Latino areas made a huge IRL difference. This cannot be argued if you look at the post-Gates era of LA policing. The mere fact that people were hired based on race changed things for the better. Now whether that fits into some philosophical or ideological construct, or whether it is rational and free from hypocrisy, I just don't really care because it made the world better.

But, yeah , i am not arguing this is the case for entertainment because i just don't know about that. Otoh, i dont think having women and minorities making and staring in, for example, MCU movies makes for worse MCU movies.

Finally, the real Orwellian threat to the world comes from the global elites who literally exist in a separate world from the rest of us, not from diversity initiatives. They use identity politics as a mere political distraction, just look at the last us presidential election. They control Washington, the cia, the us military; and because of that, 70% of the world and its media. And they extend their reach every day via technology. Imo, the battle is lost, at least in the West. We even have nu-speak and self censorship.

It will be super interesting, if i live long enough, to see whether they allow life extension tech to be accessed by the unwashed. And if they dont, how they will rationalise that

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

Yes that is true but it’s also an issue that white, college educated white males with zero life experience seem to be the loudest and most vocal “representation” for blacks and minorities.... that’s not right, IMO.

Highlighted to what I think is the key issue with attempting to put something into a conversation.
People can give their opinion but for some reason believe that it should add weight to the dialog. I'm all for someone spit balling something out their into the dialog but i'm stunned when they believe that it should hold some sort of respect without any experience in the matter.
It's telling of the times by people who believe that they have read something (mostly online) that they themselves have a take with merit.

It reminds me of a time when I would sit in the pub with my friends and one would always have a take on something. If you have a boat then he has a bigger boat and has been doing it for longer than you.
You can either let him ramble on until subject changes or shoot him down by calling BS.
These days it's people who congregate online who have all read the same BS. They start re-enforcing each other almost like a defense. Some subjects seem to have evolved to something akin of a religion.

joe_zazen

At one point, minorities will have to make the game themselves if they want to have their stories told.

No argument. You know how hard it is to find good black podcastsers? And the barrier to entry couldnt be any lower there.

I think the examples of Mass Effect: Andromeda and BFV prove otherwise.

The games you need to look at are fortnite and minecraft. At the very lleast, you’ll agree you cant ignore Asians in your games if you want to sell global, right?

GreyHorace

(Continuing from an american perspective...)
Good question. I am no expert, but on imo:

On screen, it helps with global sales. Behind the scenes, it stops potential internet outrage, also increasing sales.

I am not arguing that there needs to be legislation to force %tages in entertainment. Just that programs that give say scholarships or internships etc to under represented groups are a net positive, and having an integrated workforce makes things better in terms of reducing actual racism and hate on all sides.

Also, i include ‘white trash’ (poor rural under educated folk without hope) in this discussion of the marginalised, as it seems like they are the only ones without a voice. Democrats have abandoned them and the one Republican pushing policies to help those communities is cast as literally hitler. No one in entertainment gives two fucks about them. Yet, having something that brings them into mainstream culture would be a good thing, just as it is a good thing for other groups. It is one of the ironies of inclusiveness movement that they fail to see marginalised mostly white communities because they are mostly white. I believe that they have the highest suicide rates currently (rural, poor, white), so yeah....
Thank you for the reply. Again, I have no data at hand, but if what you say is true and that including minorities do help increase sales and integration, then yes it can only be positive.

But, from what I've seen in some areas of entertainment, it doesn't always work that way. Take comics for example. I mentioned before in another thread how Marvel Comics is suffering because they keep pushing these POC characters in the forefront of their catalogue, yet no one seems to want to buy their books. Could it be because comic fans are not interested in these 'diversity' heroes and see them mostly as a marketing gimmick?

I know people will argue that the success of the Black Panther movie is proof against that notion. Yet people don't seem to realize that Black Panther himself has never had a regular comic title like Spider-Man or the X-Men until recently. He's never been a flagship character for Marvel and the sales of his title have never been big, even during his best years (the Marvel Knights run by Christopher Priest). Though on the plus side Black Panther's existence helps with the reducing racial tensions part, as both white and black comic fans will agree he's a great character.

And I appreciate your gesture that the poor rural white community should get reprensentation too. It galls me that for all their talk of 'inclusiveness', SJW's won't include this group into the mix of their protected classes. But hey, white people. They should all be culled according to them.

Cosmogony

hypocrisy, contradiction, and irrationality are fundamental parts of humanity.

Mankind has learned how to get rid of those, to a rescannable extent, when striving for the ultimate goal, truth. Recognizing those are indeed human facets in no way enslaves us to them. We have the ability to spot them and correct our ways.

Over the centuries, a methodology and philosophical framework have been developed to overcome most of these limitations. The approach has been very successful.

So the solution is not to revert back to the days of personal biases, but in fact to acknowledge them and keep on transcending them. This, among other things, requires us to focus solely on the argument, not on the one making it.

If you don't recognise this, you will fail to understand how the world works and even who you are.

It is precisely because these shortcomings permeate our experiences and have been acknowledged, that epistemology came about and eventually matured.

I brought up LA policing because it is an incredibly instructive lesson in recent history. Having black and Latino cops in black and Latino areas made a huge IRL difference.

There are obvious reasons why that's a successful experience and in no way do they undermine anything that's been said.

This cannot be argued if you look at the post-Gates era of LA policing. The mere fact that people were hired based on race changed things for the better.

That's actually one of the very rare instances where hiring people of a certain ethnic background might make sense. It is a unique situation,

This, of course, has no parallel whatsoever with game development.

Now whether that fits into some philosophical or ideological construct, or whether it is rational and free from hypocrisy, I just don't really care because it made the world better.

And truth doesn't care about your impressions either.
Truth is, whether I like it or not, whether you like it or not, whether they like it or not. All we can do is accept truth for what it is, no matter how unsavoury it might be.

Again, there are objective reasons that would advise hiring cops of certain demographics. Those are off-topic. Law enforcement is a unique situation. The state holds a monopoly on the use of force. There's no other industry that parallels that. Consulting with self-appointed, non-elected so-called representatives of minorities, consulting with sensitivity experts, this is a different matter altogether.

For starters, I dispute the very concept of minority representatives.

But, yeah , i am not arguing this is the case for entertainment because i just don't know about that. Otoh, i dont think having women and minorities making and staring in, for example, MCU movies makes for worse MCU movies.

Who said it did?

Finally, the real Orwellian threat to the world comes from the global elites who literally exist in a separate world from the rest of us, not from diversity initiatives.

The term Orwellian usually applies to initiatives that curtail individual freedoms in the name of a grand goal. Attempts to limit freedom of speech, of assembly, of conduct, of language, for example, alledgedly so that no one on planet Earth will ever be offended by anything, de-platforming, censorship, etc. all fit the bill.

What you describe does not, irrespective of whether it is condemnable or not. The matter is off-topic anyway.

Diversity initiatives need to be funded. How are they funded? why, through taxes, of course. More initiatives, more taxes, or more cuts in other areas. It's very easy to come up with solutions that involve taking more money from other people.

They use identity politics as a mere political distractio

just look at the last us presidential election. They control Washington, the cia, the us military; and because of that, 70% of the world and its media. And they extend their reach every day via technology. Imo, the battle is lost, at least in the West.

No comment.

It will be super interesting, if i live long enough, to see whether they allow life extension tech to be accessed by the unwashed.

Allow?
Assuming free markets still exist by then, extension tech will be a product just like any other and the law of supply and demand will still apply. People are not owed anything just because they are who they are. Companies sell products. They don't give them away for free. You'll also notice that it's been big tech companies which have democratized technology, not the state. These companies crave big money and the way to get it is to sell at affordable prices, so millions end up buying their products.

Seems to be working.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I already pre-ordered, I never pre-order but CDPR earned that. Everything they've done has made me feel confident that was the right choice and these are people I want to support. And this guy, damn it he's made me even more sure.

Reactions: Isa

ClosBSAS

LMAO ya finally, good. ERA memebrs getting banned left and right cause they defend this type of answer. Meanwhile they are all crybabies saying they wont buy the game cause it offends them lol.

GreenAlien

I don't think sexualization of "not children" is horrible and a problem. Imo supporting that SJW narrative is already too close to agreeing with them.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Never understand why these sjw and our friend at resetera hated cdprojectred so much

they re so talented

Hating them just because of the lack of diveristy is very absurd

Just about 40 minutes gameplay i can see lots of gender/ races seems to be represented there already

what exactly does these angry mob wanted?

Our society is so fucked up if we need to constantly complain about stuff like this in a fictional videogame world

Last edited:
These scumbags will continue to bleat on and on online about how horrible the game is.....and you just know they've already got their pre-orders in.

It is categorically false that only black people have the ability and the legitimacy to talk about problems they face at large. The same would be true regarding any other community.

Arguments stand or fall on their merits, not on who happens to be making them.

I feel like there's a nuance here. If it accounts to the experience of being categorized in a group/community, then that is something another person can only experience through description by a person of said group or by speculation based on observation and more generalized experiences or a similar experience.
Then again a given group members doesn't need to experience the same thing and with the subjective perspective it's easy to bend what one think one's observing to the subjective narrative. Then again, that narrative is very much a real thing for said person and their emotional life and mental health. More so when we construct a community/group experience, that's something that's shared as a very real thing in the group. It's not something one should too easily dismiss either. After all, we're not all rational beings, we're fairly emotional and our experiences has a value that make us easily antagonistic if stepped on. The person doing a religious or cultural ritual, the outsider onlooker observing it. One experiences a more mundane set of ritualistic behavior that when broken down ends up being a series of words and movements used together with a prop. To the participant it carries deep subjective meaning, deep with history, culture and the social bonds that binds people in the imagined community/sense of community. A world unavailable to the onlooker appears and though it might be described, that experience is unavailable to the onlooker.

Anyone can discuss anything they want, but ultimately if we are talking about the rights or portrayal of a specific group of people, it's up to that group to decide how they feel about it.

Hmmm, a group is a non-specific entity consisting of individuals who feel that they or by some categorical value belong to. It by itself isn't able to "decide how they feel about" a given thing. There are likely many conflicting opinions and one'll feel it hard to justify . Think about it this way: who have a right to decide how someone feels about the portrayal of a white man? As we know from how the internet and public discourse works, it's everyone. Because we generally can understand what we feel is okay and not, whether we are a part of a group or not. Whether something is right and wrong doesn't necessarily depend on a given group's acceptance of (for the subject's perspective of) injustice upon them.
A member of a group will generally only be able to decide how they themselves feel about it. A group's interest could be communicated in some way, either by weighing all opinions in the given group the same and present them, or by influential members of said group taking control and controlling what the group's opinion is, or there could be a vote with some sort of majority voting system. Then again, intellectually it's hard to see how such a thing would carry any weight in terms of what is true or not.
At best I feel a person or a group can only decide how they as a person or as a group feel about it. But that has nothing to do with how the portrayal might actually be in some hypothetical objective view nor how people feel it should be. There is however also value in understanding that rationality isn't the only way we humans work, as emotional value is something that shouldn't be underestimated. Persons of a given group have perspective as a constructed agent and a sense of community that has value, whether or not it's either rationally sound or if there even existed a hypothetical objective view. The social bonds, the constructed imaginary world people share that are closed off to everyone else, is pretty much a real thing for people. It's how an outsider might view a ritual as something mundane, but the practitioner/participant feels the emotional weight of a history, of a cultural sphere the onlooker won't understand. Even if it's logically mundane from the outside perspective, for a human it carries deep emotional and existential weight.

Stafford

GOOD on him, wish more developers would do this too. Getting so sick and tired of these assholes on social media that think they know it all. First play the fucking game and then judge. Turns out these social media idiots have no fucking clue.

PsyEd

Already have it preordered on steam....guess I'll buy it again on whatever next gen console has more juice in'em. SJW cancer elimination NEED funding...so doing my part.

Cosmogony

I feel like there's a nuance here. If it accounts to the experience of being categorized in a group/community, then that is something another person can only experience through description by a person of said group or by speculation based on observation and more generalized experiences or a similar experience.

I disagree with this argument, which seems to be enjoying increasing popularity.

The best, most accurate, most reliable picture of what it means to live as a member of a minority is not obtained through one or a few personal testimonies. You don't know how representative, or, conversely, how deviant their lived experiences are in comparison to the group as a statistical entity. Evidently, you can build a sample, but when you're talking about millions of people across all states, the number is not going to remain in the realm of two digits.

Additionally, the reliability of personal testimony is usually shaky, especially in matters of identity, group affiliation and group to group interactions. A number of non-rational filters tend to come into play.

What tends to cut through personal biases and iluminante the lives of communities, minorities is big relevant data. You get a cross section, a vertical slice that is impartial, indeed truly representative and revelatory. That's the way to go about it. Data, facts, evidence.

The winning recipe never changes.

Should we ask Black Lives Matter members about police brutality and leave it at that? They'll be sincere, I bet you.
Should we ask Occupy Wall Street members for a lengthy essay on how capitalism oppresses them and believe every single comma in there? They'll be ardent, feverous, authentic.

This is the kind of argument I was rebelling against. Only black people live the lives black people live, therefore only black people have the ability to talk about it.

No, data is the superior form of testimony.

Then again a given group members doesn't need to experience the same thing and with the subjective perspective it's easy to bend what one think one's observing to the subjective narrative. Then again, that narrative is very much a real thing for said person and their emotional life and mental health. More so when we construct a community/group experience, that's something that's shared as a very real thing in the group. It's not something one should too easily dismiss either. After all, we're not all rational beings, we're fairly emotional and our experiences has a value that make us easily antagonistic if stepped on. The person doing a religious or cultural ritual, the outsider onlooker observing it. One experiences a more mundane set of ritualistic behavior that when broken down ends up being a series of words and movements used together with a prop. To the participant it carries deep subjective meaning, deep with history, culture and the social bonds that binds people in the imagined community/sense of community. A world unavailable to the onlooker appears and though it might be described, that experience is unavailable to the onlooker.

Beautifully said.
Agreed.

Last edited by a moderator:

autoduelist

Anyone can discuss anything they want, but ultimately if we are talking about the rights or portrayal of a specific group of people, it's up to that group to decide how they feel about it.

No. People are individuals not monolithic entities. There is no 'group decision' on how to react to any given portrayal, every individual within said group may have conflicting opinions.

Your suggestion that they have the only say, and the implied reasoning that they would thus share the same opinion, is actually the one built upon a foundation of sexism, racism, and general identitarianism.

You have no right to stand up for your imagined group membership and speak on behalf of them. You are just you.

Likewise, I am more than capable to come up wit my own evaluation of a portrayal of a member of a group outside my own. That you are so quick to give up your own agency, your own opinion, simply because others with a broken ideology have convinced you that you're not allowed to render an opinion is, quite frankly, sad.

Stand up and be counted. Exist as an individual. Escape from the rampant identitarianism. Speak your mind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom