• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 CGI teaser trailer

injurai

Banned
So fans of the PnP Cyberpunk, do you think CD Projeckt are going to make it like the witcher system of going with your character alone and in very few instances have important NPC's travelling and fighting with you, or they are going to revamp it to make it a more teambased game like Kotor, Mass Effect and other western team RPG's?

I would love to see them take a shot into a team RPG gameplay, and I suppose being CD Projeckt that the banter with your companions would be awesome.

Talk for yourself. It does something for me, and we are getting tidbits of story and characters thanks to fans here of the PnP game that are discovering things thanks to the trailer.
Also, they wanted to attract talent with it like patapuf said.

I suspect you will focus on your single character, though getting a great supplementary system like in Kotor would be killer as well. I think it depends on how they want to tell the story of the main character. In Kotor, ME, Dragon Age, Infinity Engine games, the narrative all describes a reason to work in a team.

But I always imagine Cyberpunk as being about a lone agent or entity in a stark world. Trying to get away form the inane monotony and rhythm of despair that everyone carries with them.

I'm not sure which I would prefer game wise, I like the idea of having allies as it makes any single player world less lonely and you can get some great secondary characters out of it. But I also think being a lone wolf could make for some great and tight gameplay without the need of sloppy friendly A.I. and or micromanagement.

Tzeentch

It's pretty damn awesome you got to write for SR and almost for CP2020! Which SR books did you work on? My group actually just started up a game.
I have writing credit in a few 3rd edition books. I have stuff in Matrix, Target: Matrix, Shadows of North America, Threats 2, and Target: Wastelands. I mainly write for GURPS now, in my spare time.
As for the trailer, holy shit did it tease well. The scattered direct references to the PnP game, the visuals, the feel... I WANTS IT!
Yeah they pushed a lot of buttons for fans of various genres.

Good lord, get over it. Nobody thinks a game 2 years (at least) from release will look very much like a teaser, unless the comany specificaly claims it.

It's supposed to get people excited about the game.

People are excited about the game.

It worked.

uhh yeah lets get excited about a game we might see in two years. mm no

I'm excited but not because of a cgi cartoon. I've gotten a better picture of what the game will be like from dev interviews.

I have to say I pretty much disagree with everything you say here.

btw, why would you play Deus Ex as a tank, what the fuck dude.

if its an option to play as one it should be functional to do so, aaand it was broken.

bottom line:don't put mechanics in your game if a) they don't work and b)your game isn't intended to be played that way.

injurai

Banned
uhh yeah lets get excited about a game we might see in two years. mm no

if its an option to play as one it should be functional to do so, aaand it was broken.

bottom line:don't put mechanics in your game if a) they don't work and b)your game isn't intended to be played that way.

Why are you still beating this horse? It's like you have never played the original Deus Ex at all...

I don't think I have seen single supported viewpoint from you, and that which remains an opinion is poorly formulated. Let people have their fun, and more options in games is never bad.

DXHR had it's flaws but it seems you wanted it to be a game that it wasn't.

Serra

Erm, just because the game has things that increase your characters damage resistance does not mean it is viable to play as a "tank".

The game has many flaws but that is not one of them.

Your whole mechanic argument is flawed. Do you play Splinter Cell like a shooter? Do you play Dark Souls with ranged weapons since the game has bows?

Why are you still beating this horse? It's like you have never played the original Deus Ex at all...

I don't think I have seen single supported viewpoint from you, and that which remains an opinion is poorly formulated. Let people have their fun, and more options in games is never bad.

DXHR had it's flaws but it seems you wanted it to be a game that it wasn't.

Erm, just because the game has things that increase your characters damage resistance does not mean it is viable to play as a "tank".

The game has many flaws but that is not one of them.

Your whole mechanic argument is flawed. Do you play Splinter Cell like a shooter? Do you play Dark Souls with ranged weapons since the game has bows?

"your playing it wrong" argument doesn't work well either. Just don't give me gameplay options that don't work. simple as that.

UrbanRats

If they don't have straight up character creation, i hope they at least have something à là Vampires The Masquerade Bloodlines.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I doubt Bethesda would be interested but they are a good choice.

Well they are having problems with HH and Prey 2, I can see them jumping on Cyberpunk 2077 to fill that void.

honestly I think they are the best option to publish this game.

Bear

I'm always a stealth player, but I tried a more aggressive approach in a replay of HR and I thought it was fine. I guess I wasn't quite playing "tank" but it's a pretty satisfying as a sort of tactical shooter on the hardest difficulty.

It was worth the experience after being a pacifist throughout the entire series.

Thanks, this really explains a lot for someone who doesn't know anything about this IP. I'm a hell of a lot more interested now that I know some of the backstory (though it's CPR so I would have bought it anyway).

Dead Man

So the girl in the video is based on Alt, visually, right?

If the game in it's entirety is as moody and dark as this teaser, I'll be very very happy. A depressingly fantastical science fiction world is rarely done in videogames, Cyberpunk 2077 is going to fulfill a lot of people's needs and wishes. This is the game I'm buying a next gen console for.

As someone who doesn't know any of the Cyberpunk fiction, are there people or groups that have a darker or more jaded history than the people in the Psycho Squad?

Loved everything about the teaser by the way, must've watched it a dozen times.

The universe is filled with them. Pretty much every group detailed and every individual the detail is dark and jaded. If you google 'cyberpunk 2020 rules' someone seems to have uploaded the entire base rulebook, don't want to link to it, but it's a great source of information, the rulebook has lots of world info in it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
"your playing it wrong" argument doesn't work well either. Just don't give me gameplay options that don't work. simple as that.

all gameplay options in Deus Ex work. Post some solid examples or stop spewing bullshit.

injurai

Banned

I never said you we're playing it wrong. I found that every option in that game was viable. If you spent your points into certain areas you might end up weak if you all of a sudden tried to play differently.

They lifted the core spirit out of the original Deus Ex, and while a lot of the skill mechanics changed, as did some of the level design it still felt like a Deus Ex game.

It was made to be in that vein of games and it sounds like it just wasn't for you.

Serra

The universe is filled with them. Pretty much every group detailed and every individual the detail is dark and jaded. If you google 'cyberpunk 2020 rules' someone seems to have uploaded the entire base rulebook, don't want to link to it, but it's a great source of information, the rulebook has lots of world info in it.

Im not familiar with the Cyberpunk 2020 universe but I guess alot has changed in 57 years.

Serra

The thing is, those things work in particular situations. They are just not viable to be used as the only tactic through a game.

Continuing my own example: Bows in Dark Souls. They are a niche item that can be useful for luring foes in PVE and knocking people off ledges with greatbows. But if you try to make it through the game with only bows, it will be very very hard.

Same thing in Deus Ex, I sneaked around until I got caught and blasted fools until I could sneak again. While its not a good shooter, it made the game better by allowing me to continue even if I got caught red handed hacking into a computer instead of just sending me back to the checkpoint.

Bottom line is: those mechanics make games better. They don't need to be strong or polished enough to be able to carry you through the whole campaign.

Tzeentch

So the girl in the video is based on Alt, visually, right?
Maybe.

Alt's mind got "eaten" by her own Soulkiller program back in 2013 so she may be around in some form. She was the girlfriend of one of the top Rockerboys so maybe she's become a Marilyn Monroe figure. More likely is the art is cool so they used it.

Cyberpunk 2020 has the same sort of confusing cyber-mysticism and alternate universe shenanigans as the early Gibson stuff, like AIs living at the decaying edges of the Net and so on. Hopefully the game will just gloss over the details as they will just make your head hurt, especially given current networking paradigms.

Dead Man

Maybe.

Alt's mind got "eaten" by her own Soulkiller program back in 2013 so she may be around in some form. She was the girlfriend of one of the top Rockerboys so maybe she's become a Marilyn Monroe figure. More likely is the art is cool so they used it.

Cyberpunk 2020 has the same sort of confusing cyber-mysticism and alternate universe shenanigans as the early Gibson stuff, like AIs living at the decaying edges of the Net and so on. Hopefully the game will just gloss over the details as they will just make your head hurt, especially given current networking paradigms.

Im not familiar with the Cyberpunk 2020 universe but I guess alot has changed in 57 years.

From the level of civilisation in the vid, it looks to me like they have basically taken the 2020 world and moved it into the future since 2020 is too soon for it to be believable. Shit got really fucked up after 2030 in the original setting.

Tzeentch

From the level of civilisation in the vid, it looks to me like they have basically taken the 2020 world and moved it into the future since 2020 is too soon for it to be believable. Shit got really fucked up after 2030 in the original setting.
Yeah. It appears that Cyberpunk V3 is basically retconned or used to justify a setting reboot of some sort. Mike Pondsmith had intended to transition the Cyberpunk setting to a more modern nanopunk setting, with Night City infected by rampant construction nano that was constantly rebuilding and deconstructing the urban area, for example.

Note that when Mike discusses the Fourth Corporate War that story was never actually completed in the PnP game. Only the first two of the three War sourcebooks was ever released, and that ended in 2022 with Arasaka tower collapsing in Night City after a nuclear demolition charge gets detonated on its roof (he mentions this in the reveal talk).

Tacitus_

Just because a game has -dmg skills that doesn't mean you can extrapolate to being able to spec into a tank. In Deus Ex they just allow you to pop out of cover for a longer period of time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
CD Projekt CEO was interviewed by TVN CNBC and had few interesting things to say:

- Trailer represents the level of in-game graphics that they're aiming for.

- Cyberpunk 2077 will have a much bigger marketing budget than any of their previous games, and they're confident it will be a commercial success comparable to the "big games". The most important market for C2077 will be NA.

- They are about to start talks with publishers about their second title (which will be announced on 5 February).

The last point suggest that we may as well see some gameplay footage from the second title.

Quoting this to leave a copy in here instead of just the new thread.

Seeing a teaser trailer (which is designed to excite viewers about the prospective game) wherein a partially clothed woman is being shot in the head by a man is supremely disappointing.

That universe is going to look amazing graphically...but the trailer seems to tease an experience with the same tropes a lot of games are mired in.

Their track record with The Witcher isn't so hot, but I think in this case, that's the point of the trailer.

Given the visual cues (dolled up hair, skinny dress), I would imagine that this character is some sort of fembot/sex android/what have you, that was modified or lashed out. Obviously, I'm just extrapolating here, but in this case I'm willing to believe the imagery is commentary on the way women are treated in this dystopian future.

I think the fact that at the end of the trailer she has a shaved head and is wearing 100% practical SWAT gear without any cleavage windows or anything supports that. If the objectification was author-voiced, that wouldn't have happened.

ConayR

There's more text hidden in the trailer, including Commodore 64-compatible source code with additional hints. Also most of the video analyses so far were made by people with very little CP2020 experience so there are tons of interesting things that have not been explored/discussed. Just saying.

Anton668

Given the visual cues (dolled up hair, skinny dress), I would imagine that this character is some sort of fembot/sex android/what have you, that was modified or lashed out. Obviously, I'm just extrapolating here, but in this case I'm willing to believe the imagery is commentary on the way women are treated in this dystopian future.

I sure dont remember anything remotely like this in Cyberpunk.

She was modified more than likely by her choice. Most ppl are in Cyberpunk. But every time you mod yourself, you lose a bit of sanity(cyberpsychosis)(D6 varies). the more intrusive the implant, the greater the humanity loss. To me it looked like she was out parting and... um... lost her saving throw. Though that bit at the end then does make me wonder, maybe she was connected somehow?

gonna read thru the books and see what i can come up with...

Tzeentch

Is there a good place for nitpicky discussion on this? For example, I'm not sure why the police rifle was using cased ammo when CP2020 explicitly says "Note: all 2020 weapons are caseless ammunition, composite carbon fiber designs." (CP2020, p. 62). This error must be known, must be corrected! :)

Tzeentch

Pg 62? what ed? My book starts cyberware Pg 62
V2. I didn't think they messed with the page references, just swapped out old art. It's a note in the View from the Edge: Fitted for the Future chapter before the "long form" weapon descriptions (in V2 it's after the table of weapon stats).

Cross-referencing is a lost art in most PnP games. Only GURPS does it well in my experience.

Those options are there so one doesn't die if one gets spotted and one doesn't feel like running away or loading a save. They are useful because for time to time one feels like using those big laser guns they leave around later on the game, specially on bosses.

charsace

Just because a game has -dmg skills that doesn't mean you can extrapolate to being able to spec into a tank. In Deus Ex they just allow you to pop out of cover for a longer period of time.

You can walk into a room and take on everything head on if you want.

Anton668

V2. I didn't think they messed with the page references, just swapped out old art. It's a note in the View from the Edge: Fitted for the Future chapter before the "long form" weapon descriptions (in V2 it's after the table of weapon stats).

Cross-referencing is a lost art in most PnP games. Only GURPS does it well in my experience.

Ah, first ED pg 52. and you are correct, all caseless ammo

FourMyle

Wasn't a fan of TW1, but I absolutely love cyberpunk so I will be following this game very closely from now on. Hopefully it turns out good. The industry desperately needs more cyberpunk games.

DieH@rd

Banned
Name of the girl in the teaser is Katarzyna Danysz-Żelewska if you want to google her (NSFW).

user_1276794_a3d06d_huge.jpg

Anton668

from their facebook page...

Cyberpunk 2077 Teaser Trailer has over 2.5 million views on our YouTube channel! We would like to thank you all for your support. There's a new video coming tomorrow. This time, from the creator of the Cyberpunk system himself, Mike Pondsmith. Stay tuned!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
You are out of your mind if you think even a single 690 could do that in 60fps. No way no how. Look at the hair, look at the fuzz on the jackets, look at the lack of jaggies on anything, the texture scuff, at the skin, at the folding of the fabric, just no. It's not happening.

Well that's the point... The game is a 2015-2016 title. No reason PC's of 2015 and 2016 couldn't come close to the visual fidelity of that trailer, give or take here and there. Maybe not at 60fps at launch, but that's the beauty of PC games...performance improves. That's why Crysis still looks fantastic 6 years later...(holy shit 6 years?).

Darkkn

also 2,5 million views on their page alone. This is gonna be good.

Great. Should not be trouble to score a good publishing deal.

CD Projekt showing EA/Bioware how it's done without pandering to the mass market, who actually just want a great game and not watered down garbage.

Top Bottom