• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty | Review Thread

RavageX

It does seem like ppl have short attention spans or something. All this talk like this is a goty.

Its dlc. For a game that was shit. Just poorly put together from story to city to perks, etc. Not well designed and definitely not what was promised.

Now, if they took their time with it ( I dont trust reviews) and it is actually good...then great. Its ONE step in the right direction.

And they cant even stick with it to further expand on the game after this when that was the plan. These guys dont get a pass from me.

Macaron

Banned
It does seem like ppl have short attention spans or something. All this talk like this is a goty.

Its dlc. For a game that was shit. Just poorly put together from story to city to perks, etc. Not well designed and definitely not what was promised.

Now, if they took their time with it ( I dont trust reviews) and it is actually good...then great. Its ONE step in the right direction.

And they cant even stick with it to further expand on the game after this when that was the plan. These guys dont get a pass from me.
To each their own. Cyberpunk has been divisive. You say "shit", I loved this game. Plenty feel the same as both of us.

From ign review:
At the intersection of (character) performance and technology, CDPR has found something in Cyberpunk 2077 that can genuinely move you.

And really thats where I am with cdpr, they craft these characters, dialogue, atmosphere and world building to create something deeply emotional for me to engage in. I remember tearing up when Geralt look to the camera in Blood and Wine after my 500 hour playthrough. They just get it man.
Nobody else makes worlds as believable as they do.

Even the world of BG3, which I am loving at the moment, doesn’t seem as real as CDPR’s do.

killatopak

I had fun with it. I recognize people don’t like the release version however their revamp during the Edgerunners was actually great. Lots of rework from skills to equipment, glamour etc. The list of changes was endless.

This is actually version 3 if you can call it. It changed so much, they dropped last gen support. CP2077 was probably the biggest callout to reviewers in recent time. I doubt they can pull of another smokescreen like back then. The fact that it managed to score this well despite its previous reputation actually inspires confidence.

It’s not just a dlc though. Like I said its a V3. Lots of stuff actually changed and most of the requested features were added in. This is irrespective if you bought the dlc. It’s a huge update to the base game as well.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Interested in how the PS5 version compares to the balls to the wall 4090 version.
Why would you be interested in that? I'd understand being interested to how it compares to a similarly specced PC but against a 4090 with DLSS, frame generation, path tracing, and ray reconstruction? Don't see the point.

Topher

Gold Member
Rockstar wipe the floor with them and everyone else for that matter.
No GIF

Mortisfacio

Why would you be interested in that? I'd understand being interested to how it compares to a similarly specced PC but against a 4090 with DLSS, frame generation, path tracing, and ray reconstruction? Don't see the point.

Especially considering the 4080/4090 cards are the only ones that can even fully utilize the features in this game. Overdrive mode is an unplayable mess on anything below that.

artsi

Nope.

It was a great game and Starfield opened my eyes again how great game it was even with it's problems on release.
All those problems are solved now anyway.

Hugare

They're pulling me back in. When the new patch drops for this, I'll start a new game and work my way back up to the DLC.
I'm thinking of doing the same

I'm excited for the DLC, but I'll replay the game anyway, might as well do it before the DLC

Will wait until the patch tho to see if I'll buy it on PC or PS5.

I really miss RT when playing on console. But I'm shackled to 30 FPS on PC in order to experience Overdrive.

Damn, I nearly completed a second playthrough some months ago but stopped near the end of the main story and decided I would wait until the expansion released to enjoy the full breadth of content. Not they are saying it's best to create a brand new playthrough just to experience all the new systems and skill trees in one go. I don't have the time to start over for a 3rd time.
Just use your second playthrough and respec

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It's far from the best FPS games out there. I will argue that Far Cry 6 is way better purely when it comes to FPS mechanics, how enemies react to your shots in various ways depending on what they're doing, which part of the body is shot, the way impact from you shots feels etc. It's just night and day difference.

Last edited:

Hugare

It's far from the best FPS games out there. I will argue that Far Cry 6 is way better purely when it comes to FPS mechanics, how enemies react to your shots in various ways depending on what they're doing, which part of the body is shot, the way impact from you shots feels etc. It's just night and day difference.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

You kidding, right?

Hit reaction isnt great in Cyberpunk, but gameplay has tons of variety in terms of mechanics. Much more than any Far Cry game.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

I agree. Far Cry 6 had great shooting mechanics, but such a drag of a game. Rage 2 was also a really fun FPS game. Hopefully the FPS mechanics is something CDPR has improved on. I'll need to read some reviews tonight.

Is this a review on the DLC or the 2.0 update?

Hopefully both

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
You kidding, right?
Do I look like I'm kidding?
Hit reaction isnt great in Cyberpunk, but gameplay has tons of variety in terms of mechanics. Much more than any Far Cry game.
I'm talking about FPS mechanics and guns, but sword stuff is shit, everything else is shit too or simply above average/mediocre (in 1.63, I haven't played 2.0). Even The Chronicless of Riddick had way better feeling gunplay.
I agree. Far Cry 6 had great shooting mechanics, but such a drag of a game. Rage 2 was also a really fun FPS game. Hopefully the FPS mechanics is something CDPR has improved on. I'll need to read some reviews tonight.
Yeah, Rage 2's gunplay is great as well, but sadly the game itself is not. I don't think they can do much with gunplay in CP2077, we'll see about the sequel on UE5.

Last edited:
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

You kidding, right?

I think that poster is talking about the feel and fluidity of the moment to moment FPS gameplay. I'd say they're correct, although not as good as Destiny, Halo or COD. Then again Cyberpunk is a lot more than just a FPS.

Mortisfacio

I've only put 5-10 hours into C2077, would I be better off starting fresh? Or does it not matter

I'd personally suggest restarting and CDPR seems to suggest restarting, but you don't have to. With how much has changed, I just want to restart from the ground floor and build a new spec (planning netrunner this time around)

Hugare

Do I look like I'm kidding?

I'm talking about FPS mechanics and guns, but sword stuff is shit, everything else is shit too or simply above average/mediocre (in 1.63, I haven't played 2.0). Even The Chronicless of Riddick had way better feeling gunplay.

Yeah, Rage 2's gunplay is great as well, but sadly the game itself is not. I don't think they can do much with gunplay in CP2077, we'll see about the sequel on UE5.
What you mean is "gun feel". "Mechanics" is a different thing entirely.

You mentioned FC 6 and I dont remember it having any really interesting mechanic in terms of gunplay. It's as mediocre as it gets.

And I agree, "gun feel" is bad in Cyberpunk, but specially now with the Relic abilities, you have tons of options in combat. Much more than your average 1st person open world game, imo.

DeaDPo0L84

Or rather life is short concerning videogames to miss out on something fun because it was less fun 3 years ago. Videogames aren't that serious, if it's fun to play today then I don't give a shit how it launched 1,2,or 3 years ago. There is enough actual shit to boycott or be upset about, videogames ain't it though.

Ozrimandias

Wonderful, this second half of 2023 will be remembered as one of the best. Cyberpunk - after the corrections that were made - was transformed to my liking into one of the best modern RPGs. If it had been released in a proper state, it would have win game of the year easily. I will immerse myself in Night City again.

King Dazzar

Do we have news on PS5 performance post 2.0 patch? Also, I read they have reworked the controller config, any hands on impressions? Controls took an obtuse amount of config time to get "right" on console.

Thief1987

Seeing "journalists" with their tongues in cdpr's ass again is honestly disgusting. Did they get new set of chairs or something different this time?

Last edited:

SaiyanRaoh

LOL

Luipadre

I'd play the game in RT mode on PS5, but the current motion blur looks awful. If they didnt tweak it in 2.0, im sticking with performance. It just a blurry mess when you move the camera

Top Bottom