• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Da Vinci's Demons - Season 2 - YO. DAVINCIGUY. BRO. - Saturdays on Starz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Catching up with the finale right now.

That flashback with Leo and his maestro hits you right in the feels.

And loooooooool @ Machiavelli.

What the fuck is this Clockwork Orange shit they're doing to Riario?

I love that Lorenzo basically accomplished nothing in his mission.

Lol, Ottomans saved this ass shits life.

This Peter O'Toole tool always cracks me up.

Licrezia showing up makes this the most awkward reunion ever.

Oh snap, revelation punch! Leo support her! Damn it!

damn, Clarice got fucking played. Carlo stole all her shit.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY FUCK THAT CLIFFHANGER I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING JESUS

THAT'S LEO'S MOM!?? SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

Other thoughts:

Poor Lorenzo. Got played again.

Poor Clarice. Fucking played. These two deserve each other.

Carlo and Riario teaming up? Damn. Also Riario going nuts and shouting "ONE!" gives me The Prisoner vibes.

Can't Al Rahim do more useful things?

And now Nicollo and Vanessa are in charge of Florence? Goddamn.

The moment between Leo and Lucrezia was sweet. I hope we see more of Leo and Lorenzo broing out in Season 3.

What a fucking good episode. Can someone GIF Clarice throwing everything off her table and breaking down into tears? Perfect E3 GIF.

Decado

these end of season cliffhangers make rethink continuing this series. You know STARZ is going to cancel it at some point and we'll never get even a decent conclusion :\

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
these end of season cliffhangers make rethink continuing this series. You know STARZ is going to cancel it at some point and we'll never get even a decent conclusion :\

Every show is cancelled at some point. ;)

But yeah, knowing Starz' penchant for cancelling everything after two seasons, it was very risky to end the season on a big cliffhanger. It payed off this time, but I hope in the future they stay away from season (possible/probable series) ending cliffhangers.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
There is a definitely a difference between a show getting cancelled and a show coming to its conclusion. Pretty sure the term for the latter isn't "cancelled".

But anyway, you know what I mean.

You could argue that a showrunner/writer/team of writers "ending the show on their own terms" is just a nice way of saying they decided to cancel it. ;) But yah I know what u mean.

Just watched the finale after watching the whole series over the last month. This has to be one of the most enjoyable shows I have ever seen. Not even in a "guilty pleasure" way. I thought this was quality drama and adventure. Thinking back on the season I can't think of anything I didn't like about it. Pacing was really good overall. And that last minute twist in the finale was fantastic. Anyway, season 3 cannot come soon enough!

JdFoX187

Banned
Out of the several shows I've watched the second season of this year -- Banshee, Orphan Black, The Americans, Under the Dome thus far -- this was the only one that didn't disappoint. Sure, they keep dragging along the Book of Leaves plot at a snail's pace, which would normally piss me off, but everything else surrounding it is just as captivating that I keep coming back. I do hate the cliffhangers, though. There's a good way to do a quality cliffhanger, and then there's just cutting the damn season off right there and saying "lol hope we don't get canceled." Still, I'll definitely be back day one for season 3.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Still no date yet, but it should be just after Outlander finishes up its first season.

Anyway, BTS pix!

nyFMedX.jpg

Volotaire

Although I felt the last season was much weaker relative to the first, I'm ready for more Da Vinci's Demons to hit the screens.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Seems they placed it on hold for Outlander and Power (thats coming back in June iirc)

Ack, I forgot about Power. Unless Starz decides to start programming two hours on Saturdays (which they'll probably have to, eventually), it's looking like we won't get season 3 until August 1st. :/

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

There it is. I can't say I'm surprised, as the writing's been on the wall for some time now. It's a shame, but the show was always one of Starz' more modest performers so it's kind of amazing that we're even getting a third season to begin with, not to mention that they're getting to go out on their own terms. That's really all you can ask for.

Hope they were given notice to wrap up the story. Goyer seems happy with the way they are wrapping it up. That's good.

When all is said and done, there will have been a 17 month gap in between seasons 2 and 3. They really took their time with this season so I'd say it's likely that they were given plenty of notice.

'DaVinci's Demons' to End With Third Season.

Final season begins October 24th. Hope they didn't film another cliffhanger ending!

Well, I hope they can finish strong.

There it is. I can't say I'm surprised, as the writing's been on the wall for some time now. It's a shame, but the show was always one of Starz' more modest performers so it's kind of amazing that we're even getting a third season to begin with, not to mention that they're getting to go out on their own terms. That's really all you can ask for.

When all is said and done, there will have been a 17 month gap in between seasons 2 and 3. They really took their time with this season so I'd say it's likely that they were given plenty of notice.

That is a great poster though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Also, I just realized that Starz is finally programming multiple shows on one night! They will air the Blunt Talk and Survivor's Remorse finales after the season premiere of Da Vinci's Demons and then the following week they'll air Ash vs. Evil Dead after episode 2 of Da Vinci's Demons.

#ThisExcitesMe

Details from Deadline:
Starz To Release Entire Seasons of ‘Da Vinci’s Demons’ & ‘Flesh and Bone’ On Premiere Day

The model of releasing entire seasons simultaneously is continuing to gain popularity. Starz has become the latest network to employ it for the third and final season of Da Vinci’s Demons and ballet-themed limited series Flesh And Bone. They will be available for Starz subscribers on Starz Play and Starz On Demand in the U.S. in conjunction with the premieres of their first episodes, October 24 and November 8, respectively. The announcement was made at TCA .

Introduced by Netflix, the binge-watching strategy was recently used by NBC for summer drama series Aquarius, whose entire first season also was released on-demand immediately following the series premiere. That prompted a snarky remark by Netflix’s Ted Sarandos at TCA earlier this week.

Asked whether Starz would attempt the same release pattern with other series, Starz CEO Chris Albrecht said that would be difficult as waiting for all episodes of a season to be completed would delay their premieres. “It’s a function of the complexity of the premium TV business,” he said. He ruled out Outlander as a binge candidate.

The 10-episode Season 3 of Da Vinci’s Demons, created and executive produced by David S. Goyer, will kick off more than 17 months after the Season 2 finale. The eight-episodes of Flesh and Bone, from Breaking Bad writer/executive producer Moira Walley-Beckett, was originally envisioned as an ongoing series, with a decision made to run it as a limited series after wrapping production on Season 1.

“The great and passionate followers of Da Vinci’s Demons have been waiting since the spring of last year for new episodes, while the gritty world of ballet as depicted in the Flesh And Bone limited series is must-see television for fans of the genre and great television alike,” said David Baldwin, Starz EVP of Program Planning. “Both series are engaging and well-suited for a binge viewing experiment.”

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The show's cancellation came down to Starz having stronger shows that appeal to the same demographics, CEO Chris Albrecht said. “We really believe in serving underserved audiences in the premium cable space,” he said, noting the network’s success with female-oriented The White Queen and Outlander and black-skewing comedy Survivor’s Remorse. “The key is having shows that target a specific audience that becomes really passionate about the show. We have the success with Black Sails, which in some ways appeals to some of the same audiences, and while we have a lot of fanboys for Da Vinci’s Demons, we have what me the fan boy series of all time in Ash vs. the Evil Dead.“

Translation: "The ratings weren't as high as we would have liked, so bye."

The decision to end Da Vinci’s Demons was done after Season 3 was shot, so the producers didn’t necessarily plan the season finale as a series finale. Still, Albrecht promises “a very satisfying conclusion” and a satisfying way for fans to get to it by getting access to the entire final season on-demand the day of the premiere.

He says that “if we didn’t stop now, the story should’ve gone through the next point, and we would’ve been in it for at least for a couple of seasons.”

Starz brass ultimately decided that now was a good time to end the show. “There is no bad news here,” Albrecht said, disagreeing with the c-word (as in cancellation) for a show like Da Vinci’s Demons. “The show ran its course. If a show runs for 3 seasons, it doesn’t mean it’s not a success, especially in the premium space.”

Source

:/

;/

;/

:s

;__;

aww man that is very unfortunate :/

i had a small feeling something was wrong due to the delay it got but was i more positive thinking Starz had more shows so they were just letting them get their time to shine before the big one (aka Davinci) returned.

but at least we got a bunch of eps to look forward to.

Decado

Really disappointed the finale isn't intended to wrap up the series. Common Starz, you should treat fans of your shows better than the big networks.

systematic

Unconfirmed Member
Shooting wrapped up last year in December, but they did go back in March for a week or two to film additional footage for the last episode, presumably once they realised a fourth season was unlikely.

Fucking god damnit. A show has been cancelled if it doesn't end on an intended series finale. The S03 finale was not planned to end the series so that's pretty much what you call cancelled. Why can't they just be straight about it. I don't care how long a show runs as long as it ends it appropriately. Will have to watch and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom