• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dalian Wanda Group looking to acquire one of the big six Hollywood film studios

Status
Not open for further replies.

3N16MA

Banned
China's richest man is escalating his historic push into Hollywood.

Real estate and entertainment conglomerate Dalian Wanda Group plans to close two, billion-dollar film industry deals in the U.S. this year, Wang Jianlin, the company's billionaire chairman, told Reuters Tuesday, in an exclusive interview.

Wang said the deals will involve two non-production film companies based in the U.S. Once he completes those transactions, Wanda plans to pursue acquiring one of the "big six" Hollywood film studios, he added.

"My goal is to buy Hollywood companies and bring their technology and capability to China," Wang told Reuters.

Wang didn't disclose any further details about the two companies he is currently pursuing.

In January, Wanda paid $3.5 billion for Legendary Entertainment, financiers of such global hits as Jurassic World and Godzilla, becoming the first Chinese owner of a U.S. movie studio with a track record in producing international event pictures. Wang has previously stated that he hopes to control no less than 20 percent of global box office revenue by 2020. His conglomerate already holds more movie screens than any other exhibitor on the planet, via control or ownership of AMC Entertainment, China's largest cinema line, Australia's Hoyts and Europe's Odeon & UCI Cinema Group.

In July, Wanda was reported to be engaged in talks with Paramount Pictures about acquiring a 49 percent minority stake in the beleaguered studio. But the possibility of that deal seemed to dissolve with Viacom's recent ouster of Philippe Dauman, who had been pursuing the stake sale in opposition to the Redstone family's wishes.

In the interview with Reuters Tuesday, Wang clarified that he would be happy to own any of the major U.S. studios, which also include 20th Century Fox, Warner Brothers, Walt Disney, Universal Pictures and Sony-owned Columbia.

"We are interested not only in Paramount, but all of them. If one of the Big Six would be willing to be sold to us, we would be interested," Wang said.

"Only the six are real global film companies, while the rest are not. If we are to build a real movie empire, this is a necessary step," he added.

Wang added that Wanda would begin seeking co-investment opportunities in global tentpoles in 2017.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/chinas-wanda-planning-two-billion-921985

Wanda has made already become a big player in Hollywood after buying Legendary and multiple theater chains. The Chinese BO continues to grow and is changing the landscape. Only a matter of time before China carves out its own spot in Hollywood.

Yeah was just saying in the box office thread that we should be concerned about the future of Paramount. They have nothing coming out. No tentpoles in the foreseeable future, with Tom Cruise renegotiating salary for MI6.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Sony should sell and focus on games and TVs

That's my idea too. Sony Pictures is in a poor shape without big IPs they can build upon. MGM owns the Bond franchise and since Spectre was the last Bond for Sony, the franchise could move to another studio. So what's left?

Gartooth

That's my idea too. Sony Pictures is in a poor shape without big IPs they can build upon. MGM owns the Bond franchise and since Spectre was the last Bond for Sony, the franchise could move to another studio. So what's left?

Yeah would they even keep Spider-Man if ownership of Columbia transferred from Sony to Wanda? That's their only tentpole at this point.

br3wnor

I'm really happy to see China becoming such a big Hollywood player. Hope to see more Chinese based movies with Hollywood size budgets, or better yet, collaborative big budget projects between US and Chinese studios.

Tom Cruise is an Agent of China

Very interested to see what happens with him going forward, he's such a huge name over there, I wouldn't be surprised if he signs a huge deal with whichever studio this Chinese mogul acquires, would be a really smart move for the twilight of his career. (Though does't he have some ownership stake in Paramount?)

Ridley327

It's either Sony or Lionsgate. Can't be WB though right?

Despite their rocky performance at the box office in the past couple of years, I doubt Time Warner is looking to sell the company that still has the rights to what amounts to Most of Film History. Sony and Paramount are far more likely.

not likely WB.

MGM is ripe for the taking tho. They don't really distribute films anymore (that could change), they do have a hugely valuable film library and many exploitable properties (Ben-Hur remake aside).

Paramount and their parent company has had some financial troubles as of late, so has Sony/Columbia. Its not too hard to imagine them just giving up their film divisions for an obscene amount of money.

Lionsgate isn't one of the big 6. WB isn't being acquired, they're one of the largest studios around and have a ton of valuable property. The recent DC films arent really bombs like Sony and Paramount have experienced. Despite THR's hit piece, I'm sure SS and BVS will make fine money in the end and the property itself is a gold mine even if the current crop isn't great.

It's either Sony or Paramount. Viacom is looking to sell off their stake of Paramount if I read right recently.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i hope Disney steers clear of this deal & i hope they continue to limit Chinese exceptionalism from their US releases a la IM3

on the other hand, Sony might appreciate the help financially

It's definitely not Disney. You'd have to pony up an insane amount of money just for their film division, which they would never let go.

real estate is absolutely ravaging cities worldwide

irks me how something so essential to life is recklessly being commodified for insane profits

Have you seen this movie called Brick Mansions :p

So Wanda already owns theater chains on multiple continents, and they're aiming to buy a major Hollywood studio in order to distribute movies to those chains.

Now we've come full circle since the antitrust breakup of the big Hollywood studio/distribution system in the late 40s/50s. China puts pressure on Western companies via antitrust legislation, so will Western governments just allow a merger like this to happen?

Gonna be awesome when we can't get movies without the Chinese censors approving them

They are all ready doing that now.

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2015/05/18/407619652/how-chinas-censors-influence-hollywood

Lionsgate isn't one of the big 6. WB isn't being acquired, they're one of the largest studios around and have a ton of valuable property. The recent DC films arent really bombs like Sony and Paramount have experienced. Despite THR's hit piece, I'm sure SS and BVS will make fine money in the end and the property itself is a gold mine even if the current crop isn't great.

It's either Sony or Paramount. Viacom is looking to sell off their stake of Paramount if I read right recently.

Doesn't Wanda already have some money in Paramount?

Now we've come full circle since the antitrust breakup of the big Hollywood studio/distribution system in the late 40s/50s. China puts pressure on Western companies via antitrust legislation, so will Western governments just allow a merger like this to happen?

China don't care

Ridley327

If it's Sony, it'll be great for their business. So it's more of a "Welcome our new overlords" than "BYE SONY".

If it's Sony, Marvel better buy the rights to their proprtties.

Do you really think that a Chinese company is going to miss an opportunity to own the Spider-Man film rights?

And just because I see some people saying Lionsgate, Lionsgate isn't a major. They had a pretty damn good run for a while there, but that didn't make them a major then and now that the YA boom has evaporated, they're contracting back down to the small-to-mid range budget company that they used to be.

Gitaroo

Do you really think that a Chinese company is going to miss an opportunity to own the Spider-Man film rights?

And just because I see some people saying Lionsgate, Lionsgate isn't a major. They had a pretty damn good run for a while there, but that didn't make them a major then and now that the YA boom has evaporated, they're contracting back down to the small-to-mid range budget company that they used to be.

can't wait for Spiderman: Holiday in China or Kung fu journey.

Doesn't China restrict the # of American movies in their theaters? I wonder if Wanda Productions will be forced to create a certain amount of films in China. And I wonder if their theaters will have to show a certain % of Chinese films to make quota.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom