• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Damned |OT| Run Away From & Kill Your Friends Multiplayer Horror

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
header_292x136.jpg

I was surprised to see that we didn't have a topic dedicated to Damned as it has been available on Steam and Desura for a bit now, and today marks the first big update to the game.

In short, Damned is a multiplayer horror game currently in Alpha for 5-people, 4 take on the role of humans who must try and find an escape, one takes on a role of a monster who must hunt the humans. Right now the game is still adding lots of new features, monsters, stages, and more, but the first update just released right now adding two more maps (making the game have a total of five maps currently as of version 0.44A), and a new monster, the Phantom.

The price just went up today as well to $14.99 (a four-pack is apparently coming shortly to Steam),

Damned Steam Store Page
Damned Desura Steam Store Page

Damned Trailer

I can say I have had a lot of fun with friends playing the game, having a right blend of atmosphere and fun to make it both a pretty fun and tense/scary experience.

Newest Update: 0.44A

UPDATE FEATURES:
Gameplay
- New monster: Phantom
- Added 2 new stages: Warehouse and Black Lake Psychiatric Ward
- New traps
- A lot of new assets
- Rose Hostel have some changes

Graphics
- New post processing effect: Film Grain

Menu
- Added name for the old monster: Lurker
- New Background
- Add 2 feedback sound at the lobby

Bugs
- Fixed some doors

PhantomIMAGE.png

I'll add more to the OT soon, especially as the game is updating fairly regularly, add some more but want to play the new update stuff right now.

Dusk Golem

BUMPING this for the moment as a new update released adding more room to Psych Ward and the game is on sale right now in the Halloween sale.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I had forgotten about this game. I see it on Steam for sale, is it worth getting or only if you have 4 friends to play it with?

Did not know if there is any kind of lobby system or anything.

Dusk Golem

I had forgotten about this game. I see it on Steam for sale, is it worth getting or only if you have 4 friends to play it with?

Did not know if there is any kind of lobby system or anything.

There is a lobby system, and you can play it without friends, but I do think its more fun with friends. As its currently in development, there isn't a lot of tutorials in the game yet and it can take a good hour to figure everything out about the game. I've been fortunate to be able to play this a lot with friends. They've updated the game a couple times every month so far as well.

Dusk Golem

Another bigger update for Damned, added a new gameplay mode called Life Mode which gives the humans a lifebar, but it is shared between all players. A new map was also added, The Factory, and several changes and fixes.

Syf

Banned
I bought this game a long time ago but uninstalled because it was really unpolished and lacking features. Did like the concept though. Does it have voice chat yet?

Dusk Golem

I bought this game a long time ago but uninstalled because it was really unpolished and lacking features. Did like the concept though. Does it have voice chat yet?

Yes, voice chat was added in during December. The game has also added lot of balancing things, new mechanics (like flashlights now use batteries and the insanity effects being added in next weeks update), new music, new character model, stages, new monster next week, and the like. Also have improved server stuff, but game still isn't fully optimized (they'll do that once they think they're good content-wise, they say).

It's still in Alpha (next update will bring them to Alpha 0.8.0), but it has added and fixed up a lot since it sounds you last played.

Here were the update notes for Voice Chat:

We've put a lot of effort into making voice chat really fun.

It means...

- The sound is 3D positional, even people using stereo speakers/headset will have great precision telling where the sound is coming from.
- Distance attenuation and physics based attenuation! If you go too far from your buddies, its gonna be hard for you guys to communicate or even impossible because there is also physics based attenuation. Meaning that if you are behind doors, objects, walls, and any other physical barrier the sound will be attenuated too, just as it should ;)

Dusk Golem

Damned Mary Update is now Live.

The update has caused the game to enter from Alpha into Beta. Here are the update notes:

Update Beta Version 1.0a

Gameplay
- New monster: Mary.
- New Insanity System.
- Add more 120 seconds on the battery duration.
- Add more batteries in some stages.
- Raised attack detection sensitivity.
- Phantom trap activation raised from 60 to 240 seconds.
- Feedback for low battery appears more easily.
- Added screen effect when looking directly to the monster.

Mary
- Added system to draw energy from survivors when going near them.
- Added system to consume battery from the survivors’ flashlights when drawing energy from them.
- Added frenzied mode (starts running really fast and can kill survivors).
- Added teleport, consuming some amount of energy for each teleport.
- Added auto teleport, after some time she’ll teleport without consuming energy.
- When teleporting near a survivor, appears facing him.
- Arms scare traps near the monster when teleporting (meaning if a trap went off, she must be nearby).

Insanity System
- Added cause: when in the dark (flashlight off).
- Added cause: when trying to open a locked door.
- Added cause: when someone dies.
- Added cause: when seeing the monster.
- Added cause: when alone.
- Added cause: when triggering a scare trap.
- Added event causing screen to go dark.
- Added event causing flashlight to flicker for a while.
- Added event causing screen to go black and white.
- Added event causing deafness for a while (hears a faint beep).
- Added event causing character to start gasping for breath.
- Added event causing character to hear a fake trap going off.
- Added event causing screen to flash with a negative image of a possessed version of the survivors.
- Added event causing a random keyboard button to stop working for a while (W, A, S, D, etc).
- Added event causing multiple arms to raise from the ground and start trying to catch the character (reduces character speed).

Character
- Fixed some Father John animations.

Performance
- Lots of changes to reduce CPU usage when running the game (performance gain).

Bugs
- Fixed bug causing flipped normals (render).
- Fixed bug with animations when playing backwards.
- Fixed bug causing survivors to randomly win a match right at the start.
- Fixed bug causing battery locations to desync.
- Fixed bug causing inventory to linger when dying in life mode.
- Fixed bug causing crouch animations to flicker.
- Fixed bug causing crashes in spectator cam.
- Several minor bugfixes.

Top Bottom