• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dan Devlin and Roland Emmerich Announce Stargate Reboot Trilogy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skab

http://variety.com/2016/film/spotli...ilogy-roland-emmerich-dean-devlin-1201795494/

Now the duo are in active development on a reboot movie being produced by MGM and Warner Bros.. The film is being penned by “Resurgence” writers James A. Woods and Nicolas Wright, and is intended to kickstart the franchise that Emmerich and Devlin always hoped to create.

“It’s not a story that can take place 20 years later. So the only way to really tell that trilogy is to go back from the beginning and start the story all over again,” Devlin says.

Kinda bummed theyre starting from scratch and ignoring the original movie, but I'll remain optimistic for now.

Kinda bummed theyre starting from scratch and ignoring the original movie, but I'll remain optimistic for now.
It sounds like the original movie was more a work of the studio than the creative team behind it, so I'm curious what their reboot will be like.

Boem

I was never really a fan of this although I liked the premise. It could work as a modern version, so I'll wait and see.

Slermy

Yeah, disappointed this doesn't build on:

Original Movie
Stargate SG-1/Atlantis/Universe

or even the books.

I love the franchise and love both the movie and series as separate things, but will be dubious about this reboot.

Moff

the original was flawed so I'm in favor of this reboot, I wonder if they'll cast some of the original actors

This will for sure get the same amount of backlash as the ghostbusters reboot.

Kinda doubt that. The original Ghostbusters is a classic on its own, whereas the original Stargate was a classic due to spawning better stuff. I'm sorry, but the OG movie wasn't so great. Suffered from a lot of overused cliches and bad writing trends from the time, as well as feeling disjointed at a few points as if things had been cut.

JB1981

I remember the first movie being billed as "the next Star Wars" in the advertising at the time. Imagine my crushing disappointment after seeing it. I think the concept has a lot of potential though and David Arnold's score was magnificent.

An-Det

Makes sense, Emmerich has wanted to do it for a while, and now that MGM isn't completely in the shitter and Independence Day is just about out it's time to figure out Stargate. A full reboot rather than just continueing from the original movie makes a lot of sense, too, it's 22 years old and I'm sure they've had a lot of ideas since then, so better to start anew. I'm curious to see what they come up with, though whoever they get to play Colonel Jack O'Neilll (3 L's in this reality) will have huge shoes to fill after Kurt Russell and Richard Dean Anderson.

I'm still salty over Universe getting cancelled, though.

Fuchsdh

This will for sure get the same amount of backlash as the ghostbusters reboot.

Haha as if that many people cared about Stargate
I did...

With that said, I think that the TV show expounded on the premise of the movie more successfully, and also sort of ran its course as it went from military sci-fi to Star Trek-lite.

I always liked the anachronistic techno-look of the universe the most, if that gets maintained I'm cautiously in.

Kinda doubt that. The original Ghostbusters is a classic on its own, whereas the original Stargate was a classic due to spawning better stuff. I'm sorry, but the OG movie wasn't so great. Suffered from a lot of overused cliches and bad writing trends from the time, as well as feeling disjointed at a few points as if things had been cut.

I still really like the film on its own. If you cut out that weird mentally handicapped native kid you improve it 100%.

I was never a fan of the TV series but I have a huge nostalgia gilded fondness for the original movie. David Arnold's theme is amazing. Jaye Davidson as Ra was unforgettable....

Good luck, you'll need it.

I personally couldn't give less of a shit. The moment they got rid of all the sg1 and sgA canon and especially the characters they had built up, they'd lost me already

Ghostbusters is a classic. Stargate isn't close to being one. The reaction won't be the same.

The OG movie sure isn't, but Stargate didn't get 17 seasons of TV shows and 2 further DVD movies for nothing. I can't see the majority of those fans being down for this reboot stuff either though.

Good, I despise the TV shows, especially after reading the Bill McKay novels and seeing what directions they originally wanted to go with the sequel films.

Wasn't this originally announced two years ago?

Its been "announced" since 2006, much like ID4-2.

The original movie wasn't half bad, the TV universe spawned about 5 seasons of solid TV and what, another 10 or so seasons of garbage tier TV. I think it's going to be kind of hard to remake the movie as a trilogy, especially since Independence Day supposedly was a lot of what the Stargate sequel was supposed to be. And they're putting out an ID4 sequel right now. Seems like a lot of treading of similar ground.

And really, the Ghostbusters shit has to be brought into this? What an idiotic and superficial comparison to make.

Priz

I remember seeing the original movie in theaters opening weekend up at the Coronet on Geary. Lovely theater, I miss it...

There's a scene where the villain proclaims he's taken the bomb they were going to use to stop him, made it 100x more powerful and is going to send it back to Earth via the Stargate and detonate it. Right then engineer sitting next to me leans over and whispers to me that due to the reinforced structure of the Government mountain base housing the Stargate that the bomb would probably kill everyone in the base via the blast and at most, cause the mountain to collapse/cave in - that's it. Total damage. Everyone on Earth unaware of this secret project goes on with their daily lives unaffected. Made the whole threat from the villain seem shallow and pathetic.

Maybe they'll improve upon that for the reboot. :)

Giorgio-A.-Tsoukalos-Promo-Pic.png

The premise of the film was set by the book Chariots of the Gods; it is the same premise for the Ancient Aliens series.

Lucreto

I preferred the TV series than the movie. I hope they take some parts from the series and incorporate them into the movie like the symbiotes are the worm creatures and not a Gray aliens.

Sonicbug

Ehhhhhhh. I wonder who they're gonna cast and how much of the story they're going to rewrite from the first movie. It's a shame they didn't get the chance to do the trilogy as it was originally planned with Spader and Russel back in the day. I never liked the TV series, the writing wasn't great and it felt cheap and kinda shitted all over stuff the movies had set up.

I preferred the TV series than the movie. I hope they take some parts from the series and incorporate them into the movie like the symbiotes are the worm creatures and not a Gray aliens.

Fuck NO! Of all the shit changes the TV show made, the fucking snake parasites were by far the worst.

And Emmerich and Devlin are on record as hating the TV show so no, don't expect anything meaningful being ported over.

I love, love, love the TV show, but come on, that's 17 seasons of story and it lasted 14 years. It had its time. I have no problem with Devlin and Emmerich doing their own thing. It's not like this new trilogy is what killed the TV show, anyway (no, it's not SGU either).

KadeYuy

TV show was great and had it's time. The only thing bad that will come from a reboot is that the TV show will probably be taken down on streaming sites to avoid confusing new fans.

Arment

SG-1 is god tier untouchable sci-fi tv.

And it'll always be around. And the IP was being wasted.

I'm glad we're getting something.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
as much as i love SG-1, i really want to see where they were going with the story

the movie had absolutely fantastic imagery that the show could never replicate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom