• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dan Hsu leaves 1up

ZeroTolerance

Ziff Davis announced today that Dan "Shoe" Hsu, former editor-in-chief of Electronic Gaming Monthly, will be leaving Ziff Davis "to pursue personal interests." Site Director Sam Kennedy will be taking over Hsu's current role as Editorial Director of 1UP Networks.

Told ya..

Dante

Hopefully this means downloadable titles will get more coverage in EGM, since Sam seems to be a pretty big supporter.

RumFore

Banned
I predict the next one to leave will be Shane going to Sony. I know people routinely leave jobs but its like a epidemic at 1UP but who can blame them with the uncertainty that seems to be Ziff Davis. Just this week GFW basically called it quits.

Darunia said:
in before kittonwy's inevitable retarded 'now he has time to shovel my driveway' comment
RAWR
Indifferent2.gif

I always liked Shoe. He gets a lot of flack around here, mainly because he doesn't really hide is MS leaning. Oh and his love of Halo never gained him any cred in these parts.

I've had an EGM subscription pretty much forever. I didn't always agree with the guy but I thought he did a damn good job.

Good luck to Shoe and good luck to Sam.

adelante

From Shoe himself:

http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5379799

Dear readers, industry friends, and colleagues,

It's with a heavy (and relieved) heart that I write this: I've tendered my resignation here at Ziff Davis Media and the 1UP Network. My last day here will be Friday, April 25.

This is my own decision; I'm not being forced out or laid off or anything like that. And this is not related to the recent news about Games for Windows: The Official Magazine (and I hope I'm not stealing any thunder away from those guys -- that's not my intention here). It's just time for me to move on. I've been here, mostly with EGM, since April of 1996. That's 11 years (taking off one year when I did a brief stint at Gamers.com)...quite a long time!

I've been through the good: Street Fighter III and IV world reveals; Halo 2 and 3 first-look covers; getting Yoshitaka Amano to create exclusive art for us for two Final Fantasy covers (really, current Editor-in-Chief James Mielke gets the most credit for making the Amano stuff happen)....

I've been through the bad: leaving the EGM staff once before (the Gamers.com thing, which turned out to be a bust); moving EGM from Illinois to San Francisco and losing half the staff in the hellish transition; beating my half of the bracket and getting to the final championship match in an E3 Soul Calibur tournament, only to lose in the end....

And I've been through the unforgettable, which funny enough, is usually not directly business related. Many times in our Oakbrook, Illinois offices, power would go out (even when the weather's perfectly nice and stable). And for some reason, our inability to get any work done led us to throw high-speed flying discs at each other in dark, emergency-lighting-lit hallways (a game we called Decapitato for obvious and not-so-obvious reasons). I remember organizing (and winning, thank you) office NFL Blitz tournaments with the arcade units we had in-house. I remember the first day walking around the EGM offices for my interview -- it was amazing to see a professional work environment where desk materials consisted of televisions, Super Nintendos and Sega Genesis consoles! And I'll never forget about the extra sleep I could've had if only we didn't screw around so much during deadlines (no thanks to Halo LAN parties, Soul Calibur, Tetris Attack, etc. etc.). I think I'd be five years younger now if it weren't for those games....

I know this sounds horribly clichéd, but I will miss my buddies most of all. There are some awesome, awesome people here at the 1UP Network...guys and girls I'll consider my friends for the rest of my life (I don't want to list any names here, because there are way, way too many to list). These are the people that make the content so awesome -- not me. If I ever get remarried, I'm sure my wedding will look like an EGM/GFW/1UP/GameVideos reunion.

As for me, I plan on taking some much-needed time off...maybe two to four weeks before I get too antsy about seeing my savings account go down instead of up. It's been literally 10 years since I've last taken a proper vacation that's lasted more than 3-4 days, so I'm gonna use this time to sleep, rest, sleep, play videogames, and sleep and play videogames. In that order. The time off will give me a chance to work on my bucket list:

Get all Achievements in Burnout Paradise
Get all Achievements in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Finish veteran Mile High Club in Call of Duty 4 (for an Achievement)
Get all Achievements in Grand Theft Auto 4
Finish Patapon
Finish Pixel Junk Monsters
Finish the 100-coin purple comet level on 2D Luigi level in Mario Galaxy
Play Company of Heroes
Finish Sins of a Solar Empire

Maybe try World of WarCraft? That may be a bad idea...then my daily to-do list might only consist of one item....

As for here, long-time 1UP.com Editor-in-Chief and current 1UP Network site director Sam Kennedy will be taking over my role as Editorial Director. The group's in excellent hands with this guy. I've been working with Sam for years. He's smart, enthusiastic...and not addicted to Achievements, so he should be able to get a lot more done here than I was able to.

For better or for worse, you'll hear from me again in the near future. I love the videogame business too much to stay away (plus, I'm too old to become a professional snowboarder). Besides, I will miss you guys too much. You all have been fantastic. I sincerely appreciate all the support you've thrown my way over the years -- and that, I'll never forget, either.

Thanks and good bye...for now.

-Dan "Shoe" Hsu

Former Associate Editor, EGM
Former Previews Editor, EGM
Former Editor-in-Chief, Videogame Buyers Guide
Former Executive Editor, Gamers.com
Former Editor-in-Chief, Gamers.com
Former Editor-in-Chief, EGM
Soon to be former Editorial Director, 1UP Network

Tron 2.0

I never really cared for Shoe's writing or editorial direction. Nothing against the guy personally, maybe it was like being the captain of a sinking ship, but the direction the magazine has taken under his tenure was not to my liking.

That being said, I wish him well in his further adventures.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I got the Mile High achievement last week myself! Twas a bitch...flash grenades FTW.

Shoe was probably the only game journalist I can think of that would defend the controls for BFME2 and C&C3 on 360. Therefore, he gets some respect out of me.

Good luck to him, big loss for 1up. I've always enjoyed his work and his effort to keep EGM independent from publisher's influences and expose some of the underbelly of the industry.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
that really sucks. always seemed like such a nice, gracious, professional guy. look to any thread in which egm or shoe himself get "called out" on gaf, and he pops in to comment: always makes a good point, but always with a smile--even when some people try to spit in his face. i really look forward to seeing what he's up to next, but it's a big loss for 1up to see him go.

DangerStepp

.... That's it. From now on, any news regarding 1up is to be assumed bad news. It seems they never let us down in that department.

Grecco

Draft said:
So he's retiring... to play videogames?

When he used to get paid... to play videogames?

Well he can choose what to play now when he was probably forced to play stuff he probably didnt like. (Even if he got payed)

and anyways he will probably get a job in development in a month.

skip

Draft said:

the editorial director job pretty much guarantees that there's zero free time for gaming, or anything else personal for that matter.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Aww :(

I wonder if he'll continue the cliche of going into a community management/PR/something-like -that kind of role at a developer. The last 3 1up-ers I can remember all did that.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Draft said:

There's most likely more to this story than what we know or will ever know. I'm sure it's personal issues or whatever. But that's really none of our damn business.

Crispin Boyer am cry? I think that dude is one of the only remaining links to their Chicago days.

Edit: Oh, and at least we know he's not going to Ubisoft or work on the Mortal Kombat games.

Dante

BenjaminBirdie said:
You've got to be fucking kidding.

I'm not, and he left on his own accord. The mag needs a new direction, and hopefully these changes will inject some much needed energy into the mag. it's gone to shit IMO.

adelante

BenjaminBirdie said:
Anyway. Best of luck, Shoe. You'll always be remembered as the man who took on Peter Moore and lived to tell the tale.
damn right. that was a pretty AWESOME interview

Dante said:
I'm not, and he left on his own accord. The mag needs a new direction it's gone to shit.
Someone's bitter

WrikaWrek

Banned
Dante said:
I'm not, and he left on his own accord. The mag needs a new direction, and hopefully these changes will inject some much needed energy into the mag. it's gone to shit IMO.

We all know why you want Sam to be there.

Tieno

DAMMIT SKIP!!!

In a few years only skip will be left and he'll be posting his articles directly on neogaf :(
dfyb said:
fine!

whatever. they are similar. who said killzone 2 looked like half-life 2?
BURN HIM ALIVE

Top Bottom