• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dan Trachtenberg exits Uncharted movie

Ballthyrm

Sony just lost its best shot at breaking the video game movie curse.

Out of all the directors out-there, he was probably the one who could understand what the games were about.
It tell you a lot of what's going on behind the scene, probably way too many cooks in the kitchen.

PS: Let me remind you, he directed this

Last edited:

Petrae

Just like Double Dragon, by the time this pile of goatshit (It’s a video game movie, after all) hits theaters, the source material will be far from relevant.

Naughty Dog seems content to have moved away from Uncharted, and the IP was admittedly well past time to be retired.

ruvikx

Banned
Just like Double Dragon, by the time this pile of goatshit (It’s a video game movie, after all) hits theaters, the source material will be far from relevant.

Naughty Dog seems content to have moved away from Uncharted, and the IP was admittedly well past time to be retired.

I agree with the fact video game movies are crap, but I don't get the whole "Uncharted was well past time to be retired" stuff. What about Super Mario? Zelda? Metal Gear Solid? Assassin's Creed? Far Cry? Resident Evil? Final Fantasy? Splinter Cell (which fans are begging for a return)? Should they all be retired? i.e. Uncharted was a rollercoaster third person shooter with a charismatic main character, globetrotting & lots of humor. I say there's plenty of room in the gaming market for lots more Nathan Drake adventures.

Didn't they already make four Uncharted movies?

giphy.gif

Atrus

Gold Member
How I imagine this movie is being handled:

“We need Nathan to race his souped up muscle car across the island. That’s so ‘on target’ right now with those killer fast and furious movies and GM is paying for placement. The killing? Yeah no, we can’t have any on screen kills and Sully can’t smoke or say anything misogynistic. In fact we got a 3 death limit for the film, monsters not withstanding.

Any way we can change this Elena character to a guy? Allen maybe? I think that would test well. In fact, ditch the island locale entirely since the costs for that bring the budget up quite a ways. Can he find the treasure in Georgia or something?”

sol_bad

It would not have been a pile of goatshit if Dan had directed it. Do we know why he exited?

SonGoku

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about VGs movie adaptation culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Hollywood where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw a VG Movie director, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the gaming public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase tickets for the Uncharted movie, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and hire back Dan Trachtenberg for the Uncharted movie or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Last edited:
Uwe Boll, you're up

Do it, Sony!

How long has the Uncharted movie been in development for? I swear development was original announced back in 2009, or so. It also reminds me of the never ending development hell the Halo movie has been in. Or the often talked about Metal Gear Solid movie.

makaveli60

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about VGs movie direction culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Hollywood where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw a VG Movie director, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the gaming public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase tickets for the Uncharted movie, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and hire back Dan Trachtenberg for the Uncharted movie or you can kiss your business goodbye.
I will never get tired of this meme. :D

It should never have been an origin story with a child in it in the first place. Get some grizzled old hunk of coal in there like Norm Macdonald as Sully- maybe Chris Pratt as Nathan and basically just rip off Indiana Jones with a lot more killing.

Zerit0gi

Neo Member
I need someone to create a thread (I cant create it by myself 'cos I don't have the permissions yet) to comment on what the director of It2 said a few days ago.
He said that he would like to make The shadow of the Colossus movie and that although there is nothing ... every so often he tries to revive the project.

The interview is in spanish. It starts at 2:48

Help this to go viral or something.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
We don't need video game movies guys.

Almost all are junk. Probably the only one that is kind of ok is the I think the original MK movie.

Games and movies don't mix. Movie makers trying to take gaming elements to the big screen never seems to work as gaming can be nerdy and still fun. But that translates to cheesy awful movies. Taking a cool gaming setting can also lead movie makers to dumbed it down more so it hits PG ratings kind of thing..... SF Van Damme movie was terrible beyond belief.

The best bet for a legitimate games-to-movie transition is probably taking Battlefield or Call of Duty and making a serious military movie with no stupid shit in it. R-rated.

megamerican

Imagine losing Uncharted and Spiderman within the same month. I know Tom technically isn't off the project yet but let's be real this isn't gonna happen.

The Bradley Cooper Robert Deniro thing with that arty director sounded great but all the whiny cocksmokers ruined it.

I need someone to create a thread (I cant create it by myself 'cos I don't have the permissions yet) to comment on what the director of It2 said a few days ago.
He said that he would like to make The shadow of the Colossus movie and that although there is nothing ... every so often he tries to revive the project.

The interview is in spanish. It starts at 2:48

Help this to go viral or something.

Hmmm... I just saw It : Chapter Two, and to be honest I didn't think as was as good as the first one. But the movie was directed fairly well. he is also set to direct the Attack on Titan movie. Interesting.

I find it interesting that Sony Pictures haven't really taken advantage of SCE's game licenses yet. But, maybe they do have problems with getting these started. like The Uncharted movie. The Shadow of the Colossus would be interesting.

Warner Bros. has been testing the waters with some of the WB Interactive game licensed. They had that weird Rampage movie, which WB Interactive owns the license too from their bout out of the Midway/ Atari games/ Williams classic library. With the exception of the sports games, that were bought out by EA. New Line is making a new Mortal Kombat movie. New Line is owned by WB.

Last edited:
Yep they blew it the moment they put this midget in.

Maybe Sony signed a multi-picture deal with Tom Hardy and they are just trying to burn through his contract? They are making a Venom 2, right? I swear they had plans for some kind of Venom universe?

The Alien

Banned
I certainly have my doubts about how good this gonna be.

On their 4th director? Sony must be up pepples butt about what type of movie they want.

Tom Holland as Drake? I like him and all, but dont think he's the best choice for the role.

I watched Bumblebee last week. This Travis guy's really good at shot composition and movement. He's easily the best of all directors this movie had. Hopefully he brings John Cena to play that older guy with the mustache, he was incredibly funny in Bumblebee.

Boss Mog

I can't see this being any good with tom holland, I like him, but not as drake.

In all honesty this is the only drake I'd accept:

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
No matter how much I like videogames, I just don't seem to have ever cared whatsoever about their crossover into film.

Until it gets proven otherwise, I'm not sure if it's even possible to make a good one.

MaxB

Banned
The attachment of Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg is enough of a sign that this movie will be shit. Too bad, since I’m a fan of the games. Should have cast Nathan Fillon. He’s still young enough to do the role some justice.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's like there's a little dark cloud over Sony right now.

Hopefully we're gonna see how far that goes..
Really dude?

Last edited:
Top Bottom