• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Beginner's Guide, Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Despair

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
So how much stupid anime fanservice bullshit is in these games? I have a pretty low tolerance for that sort of nonsense.
The first game has plenty of suggestive dialogue in it, but is surprisingly modest visually, to the point of painting the space under a skirt black to avoid a panty shot on two separate occasions. The sequel has similarly racy lines and increases the amount of visual fanservice.

Stalwart

Since everybody is saying the anime is awful, somebody just spoil me on whether or not
the characters from Danganronpa 2 ended up living or stayed dead.

Since everybody is saying the anime is awful, somebody just spoil me on whether or not
the characters from Danganronpa 2 ended up living or stayed dead.

Big spoilers obviously:
They all come back and they're all fine and they're all friends and everything is peachy. Chiaki stays dead.

So how much stupid anime fanservice bullshit is in these games? I have a pretty low tolerance for that sort of nonsense.

It's not as bad as actual visual novels, but it's pretty not great. There's quite a few moments (particularly in DR2) that just go hard on the fan service.

SilentRob

Between Danganronpa 3 and Zero Time Dilemma I'm pretty sure Anime/Visual Novel fans just don't like their series to be wrapped up? Danganronpa 3 is really no more ridicolous and silly than 1 or 2 and you should absolutely watch it if you played through 1 and 2. It's fun!

Phu

Banned
Just yesterday I watched the first several episodes of the anime. I guess I like the premise of both stories, but yeah, the execution and almost everything else is rough to say the least. I actually kinda wish I never watched what I did and simply stuck with the games.

I'm thinking about replaying DR 1+2 leading up V3 but that's a lot of playtime and I don't want to burn myself out before I get to the new stuff.

I like the anime.

It was bad, sure. But I still enjoyed it.

I actually enjoyed a lot Danganronpa Anime, so I hope people don't watch it just because of the OP... :p

Can't wait for DRV3, already preordered for my VITA.

I liked the anime tho...

Don't skip UDG.

Same here. It wasn't the best, but alright'ish.

Really awesome OP, except for the fact that you make it sounds that the anime is objectively unwatchable when it isn't (and don't tell 'em to watch the dub for god's sake).

I enjoyed the anime too, then again, my friends despair at my questionable taste so YMMV. The DR 0 light novel is also really good adds a lot of interesting context.

I really liked UDG and the Anime (UDG more so). I think the Future Arc overall is the better half and it's too bad that the characters introduced there also make appearances in the despair Arc because I'm pretty sure 90% of the reason people hate the Anime is a single revelation that takes place there.

So if nothing else know there is plenty of us who also like the Anime if you get deep into the series. I haven't bothered with any of the novels.

Regardless of was really enjoying the OP until that part so good job 😅

Natiko

Banned
Does the gameplay get better after DR1? I've been trying to play it recently but the non-courtroom parts are so boring.

Hektor

Between Danganronpa 3 and Zero Time Dilemma I'm pretty sure Anime/Visual Novel fans just don't like series to be wrapped up? Danganronpa 3 is really no more ridicolous and silly than 1 or 2 and you should absolutely watch it if you played through 1 and 2.

Spoilers for the entire anime as well the first two games

The anime doesn't really conclude anything. At the end the world is still at the exact same place that it was before including the characters. The anime story is about the same as a Naruto filler arc.

The entire plan behind the animes killing game made absolutely no sense at all. Everything about it is far to much relying on chance and could be achieved much, much easier like by talking with the ultimate animator or putting a gun to his head.

For a story entirely depending on solving mysteries, having the resolution be an incredibly stupid asspull is kinda bad

The anime retroactively undermined the "lore" by reducing everything to brainwash anime.

Sure, Danganronpa has always been full of bullshit, but i dont think i have to explain why Junko slowly corrputing everything is more interesting than "brainwash anime"

And then there were half a dozen fake deaths for cheap, unearned thrills

mrmickfran

For Any Danganronpa noobies in this thread, take OP's advice about skipping Ultra Despair Girls and Danganronpa 3.

I had a much higher opinion on the series than I do now after playing UDG and watching the anime. Now I pretty much just play it as a substitute for Ace Attorney since not all those games make it here.

Though after playing the demo, I am actually really hyped for V3. Maybe it's just the idea of a new beginning that has me hopeful.

For Any Danganronpa noobies in this thread, take OP's advice about skipping Ultra Despair Girls and Danganronpa 3.

I had a much higher opinion on the series than I do now after playing UDG and watching the anime. Now I pretty much just play it as a substitute for Ace Attorney since not all those games make it here.

Though after playing the demo, I am actually really hyped for V3. Maybe it's just the idea of a new beginning that has me hopeful.

I would say at the very least don't skip UDG.

Give me the anime a try anyway guys. It's a supplement, and is legitimately the 3rd entry of the series. Hence the title "Danganronpa 3"

If I learned anything from recommendations, especially anime recommendations, it's to not listen to anyone and see it for yourself.

mrmickfran

I would say at the very least don't skip UDG.
I never even bought UDG myself. I had to beg my friend to let me borrow her copy because I knew I wasn't going to like the gameplay.

The only reason why I even bothered with it was because
Monaca
appeared in the anime and I didn't know wtf was going on.

The game really has no plot relevance to the series until the ending. And even then, they don't even talk about the events in UDG that much in Danganronpa 3.

BTA

Anime is okay. Just don't watch it in "beyond two souls order". Go for despair first, then future and finally hope.

The first game has some but not a lot, the second ramps it up but not to obnoxious levels (imo) and Despair Girls is where it does reach obnoxious levels.

Gurl no, it aired in that order for a reason.

Yeah, the anime's bad but if you're going to watch it at least watch it in the proper order. This isn't some weird fan insistence on the best way to view it or something. It literally aired in an alternating order for a reason. The arc name just says what the focus is going to be for that episode; they're not distinct from each other and events in an episode of one arc directly connect to events that happen in the next episode that aired in the other arc.

EDIT:
Anyway, UDG is terrible and is a game I hate even more in retrospect but at least the playable characters and music were good. The anime is a huge waste of time, focusing way too much on new characters with stupid motivations like
"I want to kill you because you won't eat my cooking that will LITERALLY KILL YOU IF YOU DO AND I KNOW THIS BUT STILL, HOW FUCKING DARE YOU NOT EAT IT"
. When it does deal with the actual past events you want to see, they're either immediately ignored or The Biggest, Most Awful, Most Boring Retcon in Human History in the form of
"we actually never did anything bad of our own will! Anime made us do it! This cool revelation is that our backstory is actually boring because we weren't actually driven to despair!"

But still, unlike ZTD, I wouldn't say it makes me think less of the prior entries. In ZTD's case, VLR was a game that needed a sequel due to setting up questions, and ZTD answers them in extremely disappointing ways. DR2 didn't need a sequel, and you can easily just ignore everything that happened in the anime and UDG without missing out on anything or feeling like more needed to be told in that setting.

That being said, it does make me more wary of V3's writing. But it sounds like impressions are largely good, or at least not much worse than the first two, so I'm looking forward to it.

I liked the Despair arc of the anime but it did ruin the entire mystery behind the first two games. It's no wonder V3 is a soft reboot.

Probably never going to play Ultra Despair Girls. I watched the first hour or so and the gameplay doesn't look fun and I have heard a lot of bad things about the story. The only thing that slightly interests me about it is seeing more of
Nagito.

The anime started fine, but then crashed and burned toward the end for me.

UDG was fine, if not a bit tedious, in my experience and going for a platinum didn't help things. I'd say it was an okay game with repetitive gameplay, but the story was fine and some of the character developments were good, especially for Toko. I'd say pick it up for cheap if you're curious, but make sure to check out some footage of the gameplay because I doubt it's for everyone.

I'm actually playing through the first Danganronpa right now. While I'm enjoying the characters, the "mysteries" are pretty poorly written and I've been able to figure out a whole lot of them way before the clues started stacking up. For example, I'm on chapter 4 right now and I've already figured out the "whodunnit" (I'm 99% sure) and my girlfriend, who is watching along with me, doesn't agree with me.

Perhaps I've read too many mysteries in my life but these are rather paper thin. The overarching story, however, is intriguing. I know I'm close to the end, so we'll see where this goes. I'll report back in a couple of days...

I don't want to risk anything in the spoiler thread so I'm asking here.

If I understand correctly from the first post in the spoiler thread that's up it seems like the English copy of V3 is out somewhere? Can anyone explain to me how English copies of Danganronpa V3 are already floating around? Did it release earlier in Europe or something? From what I can tell it doesn't come out until September 29th.

Not too surprising. I think it has to do with the fact that the game is already out in JP. I got my hand on Persona 5 like 1-2 weeks before US release in the US from a Mom and Pop shop. Kiwami has been out and an about for at least 2 weeks. I haven't gotten it because I got for cheap at BB.

The funny thing is that the thing they retcon in DR3 that (understandably) bothered so many fans is actually on full display in UDG.
Those kids were messed up, Junko took advantage of them and made them worse.

Battlechili

Banned
I enjoyed the Danganronpa 3 anime. Hopeman, Chisa, and "anime was a mistake" Mitarai made the show. The twist where
it was revealed that Chisa doesn't smile
was gold

h0tp0ck3t

I enjoyed the anime but some of the stuff...

The Asahina and Kirigiri death fake outs. Tengan's nonsenical logic for the killing game. Wasting Despair episodes building up characters in Future nobody cared about. EVERYONE in DR2 is alive except fucking Chiaki. If you gonna pull some death fake outs why not let me get my girl back ;_;

Animagne

For me watching anime in release order sounds like watching star wars prequels after original trilogy. Just put all the bad stuff in front, so you would be just mildly disappointed with the hope episode, rather than having all the bad things at the end. (I enjoyed Future arc, unlike the Despair one)

A.J.

Banned
Between Danganronpa 3 and Zero Time Dilemma I'm pretty sure Anime/Visual Novel fans just don't like their series to be wrapped up? Danganronpa 3 is really no more ridicolous and silly than 1 or 2 and you should absolutely watch it if you played through 1 and 2. It's fun!

It wasn't even the ending that was the worst part. It was the fact that
the DR2 cast was brainwashed instead of having agency over their own decisions.

Most of your favorite/the most interesting characters will die so the idiots, assholes and possible love interest will make it to the end, following some twist with Monokuma.

There, Danganronpa ladies and gentlemen.

bigkrev

Ultra Despair Girls is probably the worst game I've played as someone able to buy their own games that I actually finished. Some cool ideas, but the gameplay is REALLY bad and it's wayyyyy too long.

Glad I don't need to watch the anime before this game though!

Kinsei

Banned

Like others have said there isn;t much in 1 and it's increased a fair amount in 2. It's really annoying in 2 but it's still bearable.

Make sure you never play play UDG. That game is flat out disgusting with it's fanservice that revolves around an elementary school child.

The anime is a huge waste of time, focusing way too much on new characters with stupid motivations like
"I want to kill you because you won't eat my cooking that will LITERALLY KILL YOU IF YOU DO AND I KNOW THIS BUT STILL, HOW FUCKING DARE YOU NOT EAT IT"
. When it does deal with the actual past events you want to see, they're either immediately ignored or The Biggest, Most Awful, Most Boring Retcon in Human History in the form of
"we actually never did anything bad of our own will! Anime made us do it! This cool revelation is that our backstory is actually boring because we weren't actually driven to despair!"

Goddammit, why people keep ignoring that
the part where it's said that the DR2 characters did horrible things on their own and that Junko manipulated each one individually is said by Fake Naegi, the one Junko made up to make you believe that every single member of Ultimate Despair did horrible things voluntarily and that they were awful people
? Why do you ignore that when
the real Naegi entered the simulation he told them they were brainwashed
? Play that last chapter again if you don't remember, there's no retcon, why people want to believe so badly that
the DR2 characters are actually horrible people when it was already said they were brainwashed in the same game they were introduced?
Why would you actually
believe in the one character that you know you can't trust?

NotLiquid

I'm one of the few people who liked ZTD a lot and the way it wrapped up the series, and even I thought DR3 was bad.

(DR3 Spoilers)
That said by the time the big finale happened with all the DR2 characters being brought back to life, I already made peace with the fact that the anime was terrible and at least took the final episode for what it was clearly meant to be - indulgent fanservice.

TWILT

Banned
I've grown more and more disinterested in the series to the point I have next to no interest in V3, but I admit I really enjoyed my time with 1 and 2.

Also, I appreciate the DR3 bashing in the OP.

the part where it's said that the DR2 characters did horrible things on their own and that Junko manipulated each one individually is said by Fake Naegi, the one Junko made up to make you believe that every single member of Ultimate Despair did horrible things voluntarily and that they were awful people
? Play that last chapter again if you don't remember, there's no retcon, why people want to believe so badly that
the DR2 characters are actually horrible people when it was already said they were brainwashed in the same game they were introduced?
Why would you actually

Brainwashing can mean a lot of things, but what we saw in DR3 is more like instantly evil hypnosis than anything else. It's basically a "don't worry, everyone was a good person all along" bandaid and absolves everyone of any guilt they might have had. This includes Chisa, who would murder children for fun.

JC Lately

Any significant difference between the vita versions of 1 and 2 and the PS4 "reloaded" versions? Aide from graphics, obvs. I grabbed the vita versions dirt cheap on PSN a while back but never got around to them. Will I be playing an inferior version, content wise?

Any significant difference between the vita versions of 1 and 2 and the PS4 "reloaded" versions? Aide from graphics, obvs. I grabbed the vita versions dirt cheap on PSN a while back but never got around to them. Will I bevplaying an inferior version, content wise?

Nope, they have all the same stuff.

bigkrev

Any significant difference between the vita versions of 1 and 2 and the PS4 "reloaded" versions? Aide from graphics, obvs. I grabbed the vita versions dirt cheap on PSN a while back but never got around to them. Will I bevplaying an inferior version, content wise?

You get touchscreen controls on the Vita version, and it's easier to tweet out funny screencaps on the PS4 version (the Vita Twitter app is functional, but not ideal in any way)

A.J.

Banned
Why would you actually

Brainwashing dosen't necessarily mean "full on you have no agency in your decisions" brainwashing. It could also mean you were simply convinced. Not to mention it only makes sense that there was agency for their decisions to begin with since DR2 ends with you making the choice to not screw over everyone for you own benefit.

BTA

Brainwashing can mean a lot of things, but what we saw in DR3 is more like instantly evil hypnosis than anything else. It's basically a "don't worry, everyone was a good person all along" bandaid and absolves everyone of any guilt they might have had. This includes Chisa, who would murder children for fun.

Pretty much this.

It was clear that Junko influenced them and led them on that path, maybe even brainwashed them somewhat; coming out of DR2 I didn't think they were absolutely terrible people pre-Junko. It's just extremely fucking boring that the answer to how Junko led them to despair was... they watched some anime. Not really anything individualized or actually despair-inducing, to push them into the Ultimate Despair potential they always had. Just brainwashing anime.

EDIT:

Brainwashing dosen't necessarily mean "full on you have no agency in your decisions" brainwashing. It could also mean you were simply convinced. Not to mention it only makes sense that there was agency for their decisions to begin with since DR2 ends with you making the choice to not screw over everyone for you own benefit.

Yup, this too.
If they literally didn't have any choice involved, no way they could have resisted it, no way they could have done anything else and therefore have nothing to atone for... then the ending of DR2 (which I loved) doesn't really mean anything.

Keinning

i'm finishing DR2 right now (i think, its chapter six, it looks pretty much like the end)

gotta say i hate how the series always manage to kill my favourite characters and let the shitty ones alive

thankfully i dont seem to like anyone from DRV3 judging by the picture i saw so everyone is free to die horribly

The Danganronpa 3 Anime basically answers the questions you always had but they never really should have actually tried to answer.

MAtgS

Sorry, I watched the anime adaptation of the 1st game on Chrunchyroll yesterday. I'm so tight on money atm I can't even spare the 7.50 for the game itself.

Top Bottom