• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony |OT| Monokuma's Battlegrounds

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Holy fuck, 95 hours for the platinum?

No way am I doing this.

Ulong

And so...the ending.

Im honestly in two minds about it. Part of me thought it was a great twist.
I think most of me is annoyed at the portrayal as the rest of the cannon as fiction. What infuriates me more is I keep flicking from between "I can still play D1 and D2 and not worry about knowing it was fiction" and "How am I going to play them again knowing it's fiction". currently I am the former and my line of reasoning is "it's a game dickhead, of course it's fiction".

I think it's a false assumption to assume it is cannon that (ending talk)
Danganronpa 1/2 were fiction all along. This game takes place in a different universe from those games. in DRV3's universe, DR1/2 were some video games that came out once, much like in our real life. In the universe DR1/2 took place in, they were real though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Random Chapter 4 predictions, up to Deadly Life.

Given who all is left, there doesn't seem to be many who could have really killed Miu here. The protag's little squad thing isn't going to get broken like this. Maki is safe, Kaito is going to be pinned as the obvious suspect who didn't do it though I am expecting him to die soonish.

Kokichi is basically the driving force of the game and has been for awhile, he isn't going out. Himiko is now an actual character and I would imagine is going to make it to the end, or be killed, never be a killer.

So there's Keebo, Gonta, Tsumugi. Keebo doesn't seem like he would ever kill so personally doubt he's an issue here.

Gonta, similiar to keebo, can't really see it. But Kokichi was with him a bunch and might have tricked him to do something, so I could see him being an unknowing killer.

Tsumugi though, has been the most nothing character ever. She has had zero presence in any scene in the entire game, even more than someone like Yasuhiro in DR1 who atleast had traits of being really dumb. She is just nothing, and I noticed in that really weird scene where Miu begged for everyone to go into the virtual world that was drawn uniquely she wasn't even in the picture. Like so forgettable they didn't even have her there. So I feel she's either the killer here or the overall mastermind if that ends up being someone in the group.

and I noticed in that really weird scene where Miu begged for everyone to go into the virtual world that was drawn uniquely she wasn't even in the picture. Like so forgettable they didn't even have her there.
I don't think Himiko was in that scene either.

And Tsumugi is cool. Being plain is one of her main points but I also love her weird references and enthusiasm, plus how most of the times she explains/answers to other character's weird comments and quirks during the trials.

mdubs

Banned
I want to relay my appreciation for how much of a step up this game is in the UI department. So stylish especially during the trials. I popped in DR2 and went to a trial and I can't even look at it anymore without seeing how dated and comparatively bland it looks.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I want to relay my appreciation for how much of a step up this game is in the UI department. So stylish especially during the trials. I popped in DR2 and went to a trial and I can't even look at it anymore without seeing how dated and comparatively bland it looks.
I completely forgot how the UI looked for DR1 &....wow, that sure looks....old. Granted, originally PSP, but still, I forgot how bare-boned it looked in comparison. Made me appreciate this game's look even more.

Gradon

This so much, I've been watching some friends play 1 and 2 recently and both look so... Standard. V3's UI is fresh to death.

Anyone else really dislike Shuichi's (english) voice actor? Though I can't tell if it's just the actor itself or the audio quality of his lines, but it sounds really off and bad.

I‘m in Chapter 3 now and wondering when this game starts picking up. It has been okay so far but i‘m struggling to go on.

Ending spoiler
Is there another twist besides it being Danganronpa 53 and a tv show? Is there more to it?

Zeroro

I've always loved the 2.5D aesthetic of the DR games, but yeah, V3's UI is a huge improvement on that of the previous entries and does a great job on complementing its aesthetic. I really think V3's one of the most stylish games to come out this year, even among the obvious standouts like Persona 5 and Cuphead.

As old as it is, I still dig DR2's UI during stuff like the class trials, but DR1's UI as a whole is pretty rough.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So how do I increase my "rank" for the
death card machine? Says I'm rank 1 with only 1% of getting a S-rank card/character. Do I have to go further down into the dungeon? Right now, I'm focusing on beating the board game with more characters, but making sure they're around mid level 30s & more tailored towards their type

FDC1

Vita version owner, I just started the first trial and I got the black screen (except UI) bug after loading a save. I tried at 3 different spots, I got the bug every time. Apparently It's a known bug met on every version. There is still no known definitive solution? I'm in 1.01 version with language pack installed (I'm playing in French). I'm not doing the trials in one go.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Only solution so far is to just restart the trial. I only had the bug once in the first trial when I saved right before the tutorial for something.

weemaster

Vita version owner, I just started the first trial and I got the black screen (except UI) bug after loading a save. I tried at 3 different spots, I got the bug every time. Apparently It's a known bug met on every version. There is still no known definitive solution? I'm in 1.01 version with language pack installed (I'm playing in French). I'm not doing the trials in one go.
I had the same problem on the first trial too ( on ps4). I had to restart the trial to fix it and it never appeared again till the end.

Anyone else really dislike Shuichi's (english) voice actor? Though I can't tell if it's just the actor itself or the audio quality of his lines, but it sounds really off and bad.

I was initially in the same boat, but just wait--if you're still making your way through the game, anyway.

His voice actor steps it up big time in the climax, in my opinion.

FDC1

Only solution so far is to just restart the trial. I only had the bug once in the first trial when I saved right before the tutorial for something.

I had the same problem on the first trial too ( on ps4). I had to restart the trial to fix it and it never appeared again till the end.

Thanks, it seems to work, I was able to load correctly a save after reseting the trial.

Mathrin

I think it's a false assumption to assume it is cannon that (ending talk)
Danganronpa 1/2 were fiction all along. This game takes place in a different universe from those games. in DRV3's universe, DR1/2 were some video games that came out once, much like in our real life. In the universe DR1/2 took place in, they were real though.

That’s a good point - I suppose it is a way
to bypass this ending and see potentially set up another one but...
I think we need some time for Kodaka to come up with something great.

I didn’t hate the game by any stretch - I can certainly see why some people loved the ending. I’m just saddened that I wasn’t one of them!

So how do I increase my "rank" for the
death card machine? Says I'm rank 1 with only 1% of getting a S-rank card/character. Do I have to go further down into the dungeon? Right now, I'm focusing on beating the board game with more characters, but making sure they're around mid level 30s & more tailored towards their type

Every ten floors there's a boss, and then when you reach the floor after that it'll tell you you've ranked up the machines. I wouldn't bother with the machines until you've reached 21F and you have a half-decent chance at getting an S card.

BTA

I was initially in the same boat, but
just wait--if you're still making your way through the game, anyway.

His voice actor steps it up big time in the climax, in my opinion.

You might not want to openly say
that he survives the whole game, for people that are still in chapter 1

LiK

Holy fuck, 95 hours for the platinum?

No way am I doing this.

I think some people got it way before that. Maybe they had easy access to JPN guides.

Saying it's 5 difficulty is laughable to me because getting S rank in those minigames is not easy at all.

Mathrin

I think some people got it way before that. Maybe they had easy access to JPN guides.

Saying it's 5 difficulty is laughable to me because getting S rank in those minigames is not easy at all.

Outlaw Road is going to be the end of me. I can't seem to get past BBB rating on Mean :/

Lusankya

Outlaw Road is going to be the end of me. I can't seem to get past BBB rating on Mean :/

It's like a joke compared to the Monolith game. Outlaw Run is always the same layout with some small variation when it comes to the Monocubs. So muscle memory will help a lot.

Mathrin

It's like a joke compared to the Monolith game. Outlaw Run is always the same layout with some small variation when it comes to the Monocubs. So muscle memory will help a lot.

Oh god don't get me started on the Monolith game. I am now 100% certain I will not obtain platinum on this game due to that arsehole of a trophy.

LiK

Outlaw is annoying when you slow down just a bit and you get stuck with cars on the single lane straightaway. That's the most infuriating part.

LiK

Not caring about platinum made me enjoy the game much more.

It doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the main game whether I'm going for the Plat or not. I'm just annoyed at the RNG of some of the trophies. Monomi's minigame was the only trophy in the DR2 that was annoying to get.

I‘m in Chapter 3 now and wondering when this game starts picking up. It has been okay so far but i‘m struggling to go on.

Ending spoiler
Is there another twist besides it being Danganronpa 53 and a tv show? Is there more to it?

There's also an existential horror element because of what that implies for the characters identities.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Every ten floors there's a boss, and then when you reach the floor after that it'll tell you you've ranked up the machines. I wouldn't bother with the machines until you've reached 21F and you have a half-decent chance at getting an S card.
I discovered this once I reached 11F, but yeah, my chances only went up to 3% for S-rank....to which I got two of them & WOW do they level up better/faster. Can't wait to see how fast U-rank cards level up.

LiK

I discovered this once I reached 11F, but yeah, my chances only went up to 3% for S-rank....to which I got two of them & WOW do they level up better/faster. Can't wait to see how fast U-rank cards level up.

Ah, so that's the difference? No wonder leveling seemed so hard with normal cards. I only got one S card. Might as well try to get that up asap.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ah, so that's the difference? No wonder leveling seemed so hard with normal cards. I only got one S card. Might as well try to get that up asap.
Simply put, leveling up & gaining fragments is doubled (x4 if you land on a x2 space. I'd imagine x8 if you used a Double Space card). I imagine if you get an U-rank card, it'll be x4 for leveling/fragment collecting.

I only beat the first "year" & already have my character at level 25. If you're good, you can probably get them around mid level 50s, maybe even reach 60.

If you do the route with the majority blue spaces for a U-card you're basically guaranteed lvl 99. Once you max out, I recommend the route with majority orange and then probably the friendship route. You can't get additional levels at 99, but you can still up your stats with green and purple spaces.

Feep

Banned
Finished.

Read further only if you have completed the sixth trial.
Why did you not know the twist? Doesn't Tsumugi cosplay as Byakuya at some point during the final trial? Were you not given any context when you did the lines?

I figured this is what you would ask.
No, I was given absolutely zero context for those lines. Not the preceding lines, not the circumstances, not why I was reading as Byakuya in a game I knew didn't have him in it. They could have been part of a bonus mode, or advertisement for the game, even, based on some of the things I said. It was also over six months ago, *and* I try to kind of shut off my brain for DR, since I want to play the games myself. I certainly had no idea.

Byakuya having eight or so voice lines is why I played Monodam, I'm quite sure. Most anime roles, even non-union, do actors the courtesy of providing a "two hour minimum" of pay, so they can't bring me in for eight lines and pay me fifteen bucks or something. Since I was already in the booth and they had to pay me for two whole hours, they wisely decided to use those two hours to their fullest.

Thus, Monodam.

NSESN

Finished.

No, I was given absolutely zero context for those lines. Not the preceding lines, not the circumstances, not why I was reading as Byakuya in a game I knew didn't have him in it. They could have been part of a bonus mode, or advertisement for the game, even, based on some of the things I said. It was also over six months ago, *and* I try to kind of shut off my brain for DR, since I want to play the games myself. I certainly had no idea.

Byakuya having eight or so voice lines is why I played Monodam, I'm quite sure. Most anime roles, even non-union, do actors the courtesy of providing a "two hour minimum" of pay, so they can't bring me in for eight lines and pay me fifteen bucks or something. Since I was already in the booth and they had to pay me for two whole hours, they wisely decided to use those two hours to their fullest.

Thus, Monodam.

Hey
you are acting like Byakuya is more important than the star of the game Monodam.
Regardless I really liked Monodam, so thank you.

LiK

Finished.

Thus, Monodam.

You are part of this insanity forever.

Sölf

Well, had a few hours to sort my thoughts after finishing the game.

I can totally understand why people may hate or love this. I am a bit torn myself,
but overall I do like the ending and the whole metacommentary. I just wasn't prepared for that.

I do, however, think the whole ending went on for too long. We still have the possibility that all was a lie, that all is true and what not. I like that. But the whole explanation for why this
is fiction and what not just went on for 30 minutes too much. They really could have cut it down a bit, imo.

Overall, I really liked the game though. Kokichi is the best character in the whole franchise and case 5 was one of the best cases in the whole series. This reveal is just... man,
I still don't know.

If I had to compare this game to anything, I think the closes thing would be The Stanley Parable. Because no matter how much I was prepared for something, I was not prepared for what I actually got in the end.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Right, so I'm stuck on chapter 3 investigation.

I cant get out of the first room! I've clicked on every interactable. Both doors. The body. The 4 hanging wax bodies. The katana. I've talked to everyone in the room. The game wont let me leave. What am I missing?

Never mind! Was missing the pool of blood with the body.

Sölf

I cant get out of the first room! I've clicked on every interactable. Both doors. The body. The 4 hanging wax bodies. The katana. I've talked to everyone in the room. The game wont let me leave. What am I missing?

Have you examined both exits?

Never mind! Was missing the pool of blood with the body.
Happened to me too lol

Puruzi

Banned
ArbBt6o.gif

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Finished.

Thus, Monodam.
Thank you for the reply.
I always assumed that voice actors were given copies of the script of all relevant scenes (with annotations from either the writers or the translators, as well as the voice director) and could even request to see the entire script if they wanted to get a better grasp of the story's structure and tone. Sounds like it's very, very far from the truth.

Good job with Monodam. He's probably my favorite of all Danganronpa bears (including Monokuma and Monomi). I was rooting for him and hoping that he'd usurp Monokuma's position by Chapter 6.

Feep

Banned
Thank you for the reply.
I always assumed that voice actors were given copies of the script of all relevant scenes (with annotations from either the writers or the translators, as well as the voice director) and could even request to see the entire script if they wanted to get a better grasp of the story's structure and tone. Sounds like it's very, very far from the truth.

Good job with Monodam. He's probably my favorite of all Danganronpa bears (including Monokuma and Monomi). I was rooting for him and hoping that he'd usurp Monokuma's position by Chapter 6.
It's actually *exceedingly* rare to have any scenes beforehand whatsoever; most voice acting is cold reading, straight up. It's something I dislike about the craft in general, and in my own produced games, I send the finished script weeks early and encourage the actors to ask questions and study it, though there's only so far you can go without agents claiming you're asking for rehearsal time and charging you for it.

Normally, if you specifically ask a director for context, they'll try to give it to you, but they were super cagey in this scenario. I suppose they wanted the minimize the chance of a voice actor spoiling the big surprise, though obviously the main bunch probably knew, more or less. We're all bound by NDA's, but those can be broken, of course.

LiK

It's actually *exceedingly* rare to have any scenes beforehand whatsoever; most voice acting is cold reading, straight up. It's something I dislike about the craft in general, and in my own produced games, I send the finished script weeks early and encourage the actors to ask questions and study it, though there's only so far you can go without agents claiming you're asking for rehearsal time and charging you for it.

Normally, if you specifically ask a director for context, they'll try to give it to you, but they were super cagey in this scenario. I suppose they wanted the minimize the chance of a voice actor spoiling the big surprise, though obviously the main bunch probably knew, more or less. We're all bound by NDA's, but those can be broken, of course.

It's cool you weren't spoiled by it even tho you voiced some of it.

Top Bottom