• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daniel Ahmad: More than half of games developers (Especially in Asia / China) are using generative AI for professional game development

feynoob

Gold Member
Miners and unskilled labors to game developers
one of us GIF

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Actual yes. People who don’t think so have now idea of what’s coming down the pipe.

Enjoy these times. What’s coming isn’t going to be pleasant for a large percentage of adult workers.

In the years to come we will look back at these times and wonder why we allowed the avalanche of A.I to sweep across mankind.

TrebleShot

If you hate AI or think you are taking some moral high ground for not using it, you would have been perfect when people started using wheels instead of walking....

"Ill get there and ill do it MYSELF" ok , see you next century.

Gp1

ND stating the obvious in the first sentence and knowing that, deep inside, half of the purple hair overvalued crew will be kicked out of the industry in no time.

midnightAI

Forms of AI have been used in game development for a long time, I do find it funny when people say that they wont play any games that use AI as they will have played games that have used it and going forward loads of games will use it in some form or other (especially anything with large game worlds)

Reactions: Gp1

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Yeah I think AI is valuable for rapid concepting in the pre-development phase, and I think it's important to draw a line between that and using it for actual game assets.

FewRope

Actual yes. People who don’t think so have now idea of what’s coming down the pipe.

Enjoy these times. What’s coming isn’t going to be pleasant for a large percentage of adult workers.

In the years to come we will look back at these times and wonder why we allowed the avalanche of A.I to sweep across mankind.
I cannot believe we are developing IA just to make the world poorer, we are cooked as a race

SHA

If you hate AI or think you are taking some moral high ground for not using it, you would have been perfect when people started using wheels instead of walking....

This time it's different, it's a double-edge sword, think about it, if capitalists no longer have the will to benefit from commoners then, only then, will cause real issues, they should've been warned from the beginning.

ThisIsMyDog

AAA games are starting to take a minimum of 7 years to develop, and people wonder developers want to heavily use AI for production. Just get use to it.

A lot of Chinese game and concept art already looked like AI art. Probably a result of it making up a sizeable portion of the training data.

That's pretty obvious - you really don't need that many artists to draw same or similar characters or environments over and over again.

StereoVsn

Yeah I think AI is valuable for rapid concepting in the pre-development phase, and I think it's important to draw a line between that and using it for actual game assets.
Pretty sure we are past this point as well unfortunately. People use AI for everything now from coding help (actually extremely useful to be fair) to art design to help with writing.

The issue is twofold. One is that if studio use it for actual production art/writing from scratch it’s kind of generic shit. However, Utilizing AI as an assistant while writing code, prototyping, helping to clean up your writing or expand on some ideas is very useful in your workflow.

The problem is that the above is already starting to affect the job market from junior coders to artists to writers to HR to data analysts and much more.

I strongly believe we are going to see huge numbers of people lose their jobs to AI, and these jobs will be … redundant. There is no going to factory to work in cars from horse carriage makers.

And that goes double for hiring new people out of college without experience. Already that hiring is slowing down.

Last edited:

onQ123

The industry should fear the day that a game like Dreams & Roblox is released that can generate new games using AI.

simpatico

Good. Why would people ignore a powerful new form of technology. This could be rocket fuel for indies. Like imagine a David Syzmanski with a masters in AI game development. Fucking sky is the limit.

Unknown?

Nah it's more akin to people using calculators in math class. Remain a dumb dumb.

StereoVsn

Why use a calculator when AI can just do it for you.
Remain in the slow lane.
Because if you don’t understand the underlying material AI is a crutch not a tool for improvement.

This goes together with shortened attention span and much less rigor in schools. Someone who is well versed in coding can benefit greatly from AI assistance. Someone who knows jack shit about coding may get some crap to work with AI spaghetti code but it would be wasteful, terrible and tough to integrate with anything else.

Pejo

It's such a bummer to me that artistic mediums were one of the first things that was chosen to automate with AI. Writing/Music/Art is arguably one of the most enjoyable things that humans do to express themselves and now it can all be done in a few clicks and a prompt. I guess something could be said from removing the "talent" portion of the equation, and making it more of an even playing field.

Just wish it was something useful that people hate doing like 1 button "do my taxes" or "fill out these 20 job applications that are asking the same fucking thing"

I cannot believe we are developing IA just to make the world poorer, we are cooked as a race
Society will have to figure out entire new work plans, reduced work hours to share the remaining work or whatever, when unemployment rates sky rocket. The endgame certainly replaces us with autonomous robots and all those Asimov stories and whatnot will need to be discussed for real, for the near future any office job sitting on a PC is at risk, where the human is the for now more adaptive versatile cog, but that seems to change soon, with maybe limited, still not really true literal AI, but in many cases just faster and good enough and cheaper... manual labor outside of already and still increasingly automated factory lines should be safest for the foreseeable future.
We sure always could have just forbiden machines in factories and we would never have had any unemployment, but that's just not how capitalism nor pretend communism has ever worked.
Next decades will get interesting with climate change equally or probably even more threatening entire countries and removing habitable spaces. Both things will need revolutionary solutions to safe the relative peace we enjoyed for a rather short time in human history.

SHA

There are many who have no clue about tech, why it's their fault? Obviously it's not us with these issues but we're just small percentage, it used to be just the people in this industry, and now it's humanity's fault, it doesn't make any sense.

Consumers will take the big l, cause they found a reason to put more hours on consuming contents with AI, this is really sucks for those who are interested about tech but know nothing about it.

DaGwaphics

From a gamers point of view, I guess if you haven't noticed the difference before being told about it the results can't be that bad. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sucks for anyone replaced by machines though.

@ Holammer Holammer don't forget the AI robots, once we get that and the system has the capability to maintain and expand on itself and manufacture/repair AI robots without human interaction we have a shot at Skynet!

Del_X

"Games cost too much to make! We need a solution."
Ok, here's a tool to help speed up production. It's basically adaptive procedural generation for different scenarios.
"No, not like that."

mdkirby

Good. The industry is in dire straits as a result of exploded development times and budgets. GenAi, and ai workflows are the only feasible way I can see to get things back under control without significantly compromising (and eventually improving) the end result. We should praise this approach, as the consequences of getting budgets back down and speeding up development will not only be games that once again take 2-3 years to make instead of 6 or 7, but that publishers/investors will become comfortable again with taking more risks with the games they finance.

SHA

Surely, they will pass the savings onto the public in the form of lower priced products, no?
Accessibility matters in the long run, it seems like AI an ml are nothing but pros without cons, just like the early days of games development.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

The issue is more how it's used. And in fairness part of that is an outgrowth of the extremely limited prompt-based interaction paradigms.

AI shouldn't be a tool to replace artists, it should be a tools to make artists more productive. And they need interface paradigms that cater to the needs of artists, not functioning like a Google Image Search for the imagination.

Laptop1991

Well if it gets better than the human ones and the games come out quicker and they arn't just Gaas live service games, then ok, i'm fine with it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
AI has a place, but it all depends on how it is used and which model they are using.

Ai to fill in textures to prevent tile effect that many games tend to have. Ai to quickly and efficiently animate mouths for different languages. Ai for voice acting of generic NPCs. Ai for fixing bugs in code or altering large data sets based on player engagement (increasing/decreasing difficulty on the fly, loot drops, etc).

But I wouldn’t trust any game if it used the google ai model.

Top Bottom