• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danny Rand won't be suiting up in Netflix's Iron Fist

Status
Not open for further replies.
"So the mystical aspect is something we like to hint at, the idea that there is something bigger and larger out there, but we don’t delve into it all that deeply."

Hahahahahaha. Just cancel Marvel Netflix and put that shit out of its misery already.
Give me JJ S2, then do as u must

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
the-defenders-image-ew-8.jpg

I thought this is just what he's going to wear. Thank god that's not the case! =D
This is dope.

0aac2_umvcs_ironfist.jpg

"We’re trying to keep things extremely grounded and real and tell our stories through characters. So the mystical aspect is something we like to hint at, the idea that there is something bigger and larger out there, but we don’t delve into it all that deeply.”

They can't say the show is extremely grounded while the main character is running around punching guys with magical fists. The goofy comic aspects and grounded reality can co-exist, Marvel.

duckroll

from my limited experience Iron Fist is kinda like Mortal Kombat right? why not just do that?

There are different versions of Iron Fist.

There's the original white savior trope classic which was kinda racist and super dated, where white boy Rand returns to America to solve his parents' murder and reclaim his company. It's like American Ninja meets Batman Begins with a few slices of triple cheese pizza.

There's the version of Iron Fist that follows after that which is Heroes for Hire and he and Luke Cage are BFFs and they tag team various shit as Black Man and White Boy With Yellowface(mask). It's alright.

Then there's the modern reinvention of the character popularized by Brubaker and Fraction where is it basically Mortal Kombat. This is the version most modern fans of Iron Fist know and what they want to see.

What we're probably going to end up getting though, is a "homage" to the modern Iron Fist with tons of name drops, visual motifs, some character dynamics and villain concepts, but all watered down to a "grounded" and "street" version which involves gangs, mysterious corporations, and cage fighting.

I dunno how they seem to be fumbling like every aspect of this show. No costume, looks overly serious, wack choreography...
“We’re trying to keep things extremely grounded and real and tell our stories through characters. So the mystical aspect is something we like to hint at, the idea that there is something bigger and larger out there, but we don’t delve into it all that deeply.”
Shou-Lao is totally gonna be some metaphor for overcoming inner demons. Defeating yo inner dragon.

Scott Buck pls. We've had undead ninjas in Daredevil and Spirits of Vengeance in Agents of SHIELD. The mystical shit is the main draw.

TheFlow

Banned
Sigh. Not good news.

I am talking about that summary. Danny is all about the mystical and crazy over the top king fu.

I swear both his hands better glow and not just one.

Kelsdesu

There's the original white savior trope classic which was kinda racist and super dated, where white boy Rand returns to America to solve his parents' murder and reclaim his company. It's like American Ninja meets Batman Begins with a few slices of triple cheese pizza.

There's the version of Iron Fist that follows after that which is Heroes for Hire and he and Luke Cage are BFFs and they tag team various shit as Black Man and White Boy With Yellowface(mask). It's alright.

Then there's the modern reinvention of the character popularized by Brubaker and Fraction where is it basically Mortal Kombat. This is the version most modern fans of Iron Fist know and what they want to see.

What we're probably going to end up getting though, is a "homage" to the modern Iron Fist with tons of name drops, visual motifs, some character dynamics and villain concepts, but all watered down to a "grounded" and "street" version which involves gangs, mysterious corporations, and cage fighting.

I honestly wanted this. There is no reason for him to be in New York. I wanted Aja esque action brought to television. I would have even accepted a shorter 6 epsiode season to make that happen.

And it's the hardest to fuck up. Just make a fucking martial arts show. House of flying daggers with superheroes.
IIRC it was a Netflix request to keep things grounded like the rest of their shows, so they wanted to minimize wirework and crazy Kung fu flying around stuff and literally keep things on the ground.

Edit: http://gadgets.ndtv.com/entertainme...costumes-sets-production-1664791?site=classic. Interview with the stunt coordinator (Brett Chan who did some pretty good work in Marco Polo) which talks about the action in this

duckroll

I honestly wanted this. There is no reason for him to be in New York. I wanted Aja esque action brought to television. I would have even accepted a shorter 6 epsiode season to make that happen.

New York is actually part of the reason why these Marvel Netflix shows exist unfortunately. When Marvel signed the big deal with Netflix, they also signed a contract with NYC agreeing to shoot there and to create jobs for the industry locally by producing [x] hours of content.

TheFlow

Banned
How do you not dwelve into the mystical aspects of a character that was trained in mystic arts, in a mystical city in a different dimension, and slayed a Dragon to gain mystical abilities that makes his hands glow and gives him superhuman strength, healing abilities, etc?????
My gripe

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
that quote about the mystical aspect, oof.

of all the four netflix marvel shows this is the one they're doing the worst job selling. think what you will of the previous three, but they always sounded pretty good during their respective pre-releases. the people in charge just knew exactly what to say.

Kelsdesu

New York is actually part of the reason why these Marvel Netflix shows exist unfortunately. When Marvel signed the big deal with Netflix, they also signed a contract with NYC agreeing to shoot there and to create jobs for the industry locally by producing [x] hours of content.

Wow. Welp. I guess Ima hold that L. Thanks for that tidbit. Didn't realize the nature of the deal Netflix and or Disney made with New York.

The Kree

Banned
They'll put Lockjaw on an ABC show but can't find a way to justify Iron Fist's costume on Netflix.

Some odd decision making going on.

duckroll

They'll put Lockjaw on an ABC show but can't find a way to justify Iron Fist's costume on Netflix.

Some odd decision making going on.

They also have Ghost Rider on AoS, Mantis and Ego in GotG2, and undead ninjas in Daredevil.

But mysticism in Iron Fist? A bridge too far!

So how does he deal with the whole secret identity problem?

Daredevil (& Elektra) had the mask, JJ isn't really a superhero, and Luke Cage was an alias, he had community help, yet still was constantly on the run. Frank Castle was id'd almost immediately, which ended up in him getting profiled and captured by the mob.

Rand is presumably a semi-famous millionaire heir, it's not going to take long for the cops or criminals to ID the guy kung fu fighting in street clothes.

They also have Ghost Rider on AoS, Mantis and Ego in GotG2, and undead ninjas in Daredevil.

But mysticism in Iron Fist? A bridge too far!

There is the whole Dr Strange making everything possible as well.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Daredevil (& Elektra) had the mask, JJ isn't really a superhero, and Luke Cage was an alias, he had community help, yet still was constantly on the run. Frank Castle was id'd almost immediately, which ended up in him getting profiled and captured by the mob.

Rand is presumably a semi-famous millionaire heir, it's not going to take long for the cops or criminals to ID the guy kung fu fighting in street clothes.
he's white and he's rich. I'm not even joking when I say I want this to be the reason for him to do whatever and get off scot-free.

I love it when superhero shows embrace their comic roots, so this is a bit of a shame. Still, won't deter me from actually seeing the show, though.

hydruxo

Do they not understand that people want to watch these shows to see superheroes do crazy mystical shit, like that's the whole point

I hate the whole "we're trying to keep everything grounded" thing

ZeoVGM

Banned
"So the mystical aspect is something we like to hint at, the idea that there is something bigger and larger out there, but we don’t delve into it all that deeply."

Hahahahahaha. Just cancel Marvel Netflix and put that shit out of its misery already.

Hearing this news bothers me but I'm not seeing how Marvel Netflix, which is very successful and generally well received, should be put out of its misery. Haha.

Slayven

you forgot the 90s when Danny was almost into bestiality

Most likely means that there's not going to be a lot of vigilante action.

Most likely means that there's not going to be a lot of vigilante action.

What would this show even be without the vigilantism? The premise is basically Arrow without the bow. Amell is a cheesy CW actor but he's believably physical for the role and has quite a few great action scenes over the years. Same with the DD guy.

Even RDJ looks more muscular than this dude, and he's 51 and plays a character in a suit of armor

You'd think they'd have him tan or do a few pushups before the promotional photos. And to think of all the criticism Gadot received for her WW look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom