• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours |OT| A local couch co-op shmup in 2015, aw yiss.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member

tumblr_n7mwawp4rL1ssbvp5o1_400.gif

Lawd

Shifty

Just bagged me an outpost on cab 14. New star system unlocked, go to it!

Chronicle mode is genius. I want to see more metagame elements like this in other games.

In Chronicle mode, can anyone see the ranking info on who cleared areas on cabinets? None are showing for me, but maybe that's expected?

None are showing for me either. Seems odd that you wouldn't be able to see people's names, I'm guessing it's some server issue.

That looks so good, it's ridiculous.

If I had the space. I'd get two projectors and setup the game that way. Tbh though. I am kinda fiending to build my own cabinet. But I'm awful at wood craftsmanship. I'd really like to take that on as a project once I finish college this year.

Weevilone

I can't find the picture of it right now. But it's heavily letterboxed. The game will act as if it's on a 16:9 ratio. The game only supports 16:9 and 32:9 even though they marketed the game as being capable of supporting 21:9 ratio too. You can use 2 or more screens to play.

Here's a pic.. yeah I know you can see lots of IPS glow and dust. This really, really needs to be fixed. It recognizes the 3440x1440 resolution, but then jacks it up from there.

Darius21_9%20%28Small%29.JPG

Raptomex

This... definitely sets a new standard for shmups. I'm thinking of getting another monitor just for this game.

Momentary

Banned
All right. Here are the results for the free copy of DARIUSBURST.

header.jpg

I'm only showing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.

1st: Blu(e) - 12
2nd: Seraphis Cain - 11
3rd: Durante, Trailmix, InfiniteNine - 10

I'm going to keep my lists confidential, since I'll probably be doing something similar to this again for the next big release out there. This also lets people know how close they were with their lists this go around. With that said, my mind also changes with time and new releases.

Thanks to those who played.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

header.jpg

I'm going to keep my lists confidential, since I'll probably be doing something similar to this again for the next big release out there. This also lets people know how close they were with their lists this go around. With that said, my mind also changes with time and new releases.

Aww. Dang. I was so close. Knowing I lost by one point makes it that much worse, heh. Congrats Blu(e). Guess I'll still be waiting for that half-off sale in a year or so. =/

Blu(e)

header.jpg

I was really curious about your list too.
But:
102015-music-drake-hotline-bling-gif-7.gif

Man I got up off from my desk and did a little dance when I got the message. Now I wish I had a sick two monitor set up so I can play it in AC mode. Christmas might have to come a little sooner this year.

Thanks for the giveaway!

header.jpg

Based Rayge. The internet could use more people like yourself in our lives.
It was very generous of you to do that. I'd do something similar if the game wasn't so damn expensive in Canada..

But yeah. I'll be sticking with the dual monitor setup for now. Would anyone want to help me setup a dual projector project, next year?

japtor

Haven't gotten/tried it myself yet, but for any other curious Mac users out there, I saw zakk over on the Shmups forums saying it works in Wine.
Oh god THIS. I used to start my days for 6 months by trying to chase down a high score on Akai Katana that a gaffer would give you an artbook for if you were the first on the board to hit (still unclaimed). Thing was that meant I would play it tired and now I'm conditioned that when I get sleepy I feel like I should play bullethells and that is the WORST way to play. The difference between playing tired and awake for me is 1cc and dying on 3rd stage (pathetic).
Reminds me of when I was with the STGWeekly guys once when they were doing a 24 hour charity stream, I think around 5 PM-5PM. Around noon Softdrink was playing Eschatos and he just had a bunch of mistakes in a row with no reaction at all, he was like a zombie at that point. His eyes were open staring at the screen, hands were still playing the game, but no conscious brain activity goin on behind all that.
If I had the space. I'd get two projectors and setup the game that way. Tbh though. I am kinda fiending to build my own cabinet. But I'm awful at wood craftsmanship. I'd really like to take that on as a project once I finish college this year.
You can build a cab with projectors like Galaxian 3!

Just went through the arcade mode - I can hardly say "beat" considering I fed credits and chose the easiest stages, but it was fun to play and cool to hear the soundtrack in context. There's so much I don't understand about the game though, so I'm going to have to find the manual and study it carefully. It's too bad there doesn't seem to be a way to attach manuals to Steam games.

I can't find the picture of it right now. But it's heavily letterboxed. The game will act as if it's on a 16:9 ratio. The game only supports 16:9 and 32:9 even though they marketed the game as being capable of supporting 21:9 ratio too. You can use 2 or more screens to play.

i guess 32:9 on 21:9 would still be pretty heavily letterboxed.

oh well, i can just set up two identical monitors...

Sophia

Here's a pic.. yeah I know you can see lots of IPS glow and dust. This really, really needs to be fixed. It recognizes the 3440x1440 resolution, but then jacks it up from there.

Darius21_9%20%28Small%29.JPG

Wow, that's very disappointing. I just purchased a 21:9 monitor to replace my dying old one. Maybe I'll hold off on a purchase of DBCS until this is fixed.... :<

yyr

Has anyone actually gotten more than 1 joystick/gamepad to work?

Any time I connect two joysticks, only one of them will respond.

Teknoman

Oh god THIS. I used to start my days for 6 months by trying to chase down a high score on Akai Katana that a gaffer would give you an artbook for if you were the first on the board to hit (still unclaimed). Thing was that meant I would play it tired and now I'm conditioned that when I get sleepy I feel like I should play bullethells and that is the WORST way to play. The difference between playing tired and awake for me is 1cc and dying on 3rd stage (pathetic).

Yeah lol, making incredibly dumb mistakes or just having no drive = no way.

eastx

We played with one Xbox One controller and one Xbox 360 controller in that video I posted yesterday. Only one controller can control menus or pause, annoyingly.

I had three working simultaneously during beta testing. As mentioned, only the arbitrarily assigned "player 1" has menu control, but every other controller, including the keyboard, can burst in once an AC game is started. The controllers must all be plugged in before starting the game.

lmimmfn

Wow, that's very disappointing. I just purchased a 21:9 monitor to replace my dying old one. Maybe I'll hold off on a purchase of DBCS until this is fixed.... :<
Windowed mode works fine for the game on a 21:9 monitor, just fullscreen 21:9 is borked

yyr

Thanks for letting me know that *someone* can get multiple joysticks to work.

I'll test with more models. I did try connecting them before the game was started...I'll try again...

The START buttons were not responding on the "Accepting Players" screen.

Thanks for letting me know that *someone* can get multiple joysticks to work.

I'll test with more models. I did try connecting them before the game was started...I'll try again...

The START buttons were not responding on the "Accepting Players" screen.

It sounds weird, but try hitting Select/Back instead.

Tain

So far I've cleared the easiest Original route in AC, but the difficulty leap to "Normal" (starting from B) feels HUGE. Probably because a course is only three stages so it ramps up quickly. I'm also having a hell of a time getting the laser clash timing down but I went back to stage A to practice and got a better sense of it.

Still haven't done the laser clash from the side thing though, seems weird.

Shifty

Still haven't done the laser clash from the side thing though, seems weird.

I find taking a straight vertical run-up makes it much easier to nail the timing on step-in counters. They're definitely harder than head-on ones though.

And man, the Fixed Burst is so good. Being able to block a huge barrage of lasers and recharge your meter at the same time is dope.

Tain

Was there an update recently that removed a framerate cap? The game operated at normal speed for me at 144hz gsync during the beta (internally capping at 60 I guess), but as of a day or so ago it actually runs at 144fps (game speed tied to framerate, so over 2x speed).

Each time I run it I can use the hilarious 386-era-ass turbo button on my monitor to step down to 60hz and the game will operate at normal speeds, so it's still playable for me personally, but some 60fps framerate cap option buried away in some INI would be cool.

Shifty

Another outpost down, another star system unlocked. Aw yiss.

Gotta be up for work in the morning though. Fight on in my stead, GAF!

grendelrt

I still suck at getting the counter burst to work. There is a small delay when you hit the burst and I try account for that so it kicks off as soon as I hit the incoming stream. I just end up getting nailed.

I still suck at getting the counter burst to work. There is a small delay when you hit the burst and I try account for that so it kicks off as soon as I hit the incoming stream. I just end up getting nailed.

So true. Any videos of this being done right?

Loving this game though. Just had some friends over and they were like whoa at the 2 screen pc setup.

sDeuqm9.png

Haven't gotten/tried it myself yet, but for any other curious Mac users out there, I saw zakk over on the Shmups forums saying it works in Wine.

Reminds me of when I was with the STGWeekly guys once when they were doing a 24 hour charity stream, I think around 5 PM-5PM. Around noon Softdrink was playing Eschatos and he just had a bunch of mistakes in a row with no reaction at all, he was like a zombie at that point. His eyes were open staring at the screen, hands were still playing the game, but no conscious brain activity goin on behind all that.

You can build a cab with projectors like Galaxian 3!

hnnnghh!!

Imagine having 4 chairs setup with sanwa controls for each player on that projector setup...

Too much lol.

Shifty

It looks like you can't mix-and-match XInput and DInput controllers. I tried some co-op at work, and my DInput SNK clickpad wouldn't register while an XBO controller was plugged in. A pair of XBO pads worked fine though.

Don't try to account for it. Hit that button the instant before the enemy beam fires and you'll get it.

grendelrt

It looks like you can't mix-and-match XInput and DInput controllers. I tried some co-op at work, and my DInput SNK clickpad wouldn't register while an XBO controller was plugged in. A pair of XBO pads worked fine though.

Don't try to account for it. Hit that button the instant before the enemy beam fires and you'll get it.

Ive been mainly trying to cut in, get it about 1/2 the time now. Wish there was a mode just practice it over and over.

Yes Boss!

My current Dariusburst setup. With PS4.

I'm doing something similar to that other photo and gonna get two 55" HDTVs and a PC to run the game in a massive way.

599AE7FA-80A5-4FBF-8DC7-58A189DD7859.jpg

Raptomex

Got myself another monitor. The time has come.

What's the best way to play? Joystick or controller? My options being:

Mayflash PC joystick
Sega Genesis joystick (lol I have a USB adapter. I use this for emulation mostly)
360 controller
PS4 controller
I guess I could get my PS3 controller working
Sega Saturn contoller (USB adapter)

eastx

Any impressions on the vita version?

It's very good. The arcade mode stuff is a bit too tiny, mostly the text, but it's still playable. The full-screen AC stuff looks great.

Only bad experience I've had is that in AC mode, the game has crashed on me 4 times while uploading my scores after beating an area. It loses the progress I made on that area when it happens too, which is BS. I hope they fix the issue.

Teknoman

Got myself another monitor. The time has come.

What's the best way to play? Joystick or controller? My options being:

Mayflash PC joystick
Sega Genesis joystick (lol I have a USB adapter. I use this for emulation mostly)
360 controller
PS4 controller
I guess I could get my PS3 controller working
Sega Saturn contoller (USB adapter)

Saturn Controller since I dont think the game support rumble, or I havent noticed it.

Shifty

Managed to one-life clear the ADH route on my lunch hour today, so satisfying. I didn't think shmups were my thing, but this game has made a believer of me.

Can someone please tell me how to handle the Stage E boss in Original cuz this is pathetic. :(

Ancient Barrage can be pretty nasty to begin with. These are the strats I've managed to come up with so far:
  • Use fixed burst to block anything you can't dodge. A diagonally-aimed fixed burst will save your ass in so many situations, so abuse the hell out of it.
  • That's a particularly useful technique against its first and second patterns, the small orange lasers and wide yellow ones. Angle it right and the fixed burst's shot absorption will keep it charged up.
  • When it starts strafing back and forth along the bottom of the screen, deploy a horizontal fixed burst to block its yellow lasers, switch sides, then stow it until the next salvo. This makes it a lot easier to focus on dodging the purple ones.
  • Its first burst beam is hard to get a standard counter on because the angle is hard to judge, so go for the step-in if you're confident you can pull it off.
  • Its second burst attack is much easier to standard counter if you miss the first.
  • If you hit the first counter, you can use the second beam and the pattern that follows it to keep your meter charged and do a truckload of damage.
  • If you miss one, direct your fixed burst into its beam to charge your meter and retaliate with a burst of your own when it's full. Make sure to keep an eye on it and top yourself off before it switches to the next phase.
  • If you miss both, make sure you have enough meter to block the barrage of green blobs with your fixed burst.
  • When it brings up the big shield thing that shoots a three-way beam, get close to it and stick to the bottom of the screen. Your burst can't penetrate it, so stop it and save the meter if you're still holding a counter.

Tain

Ancient Barrage can be pretty nasty to begin with. These are the strats I've managed to come up with so far:
  • When it starts strafing back and forth along the bottom of the screen, deploy a horizontal fixed burst to block its yellow lasers, switch sides, then stow it until the next salvo. This makes it a lot easier to focus on dodging the purple ones.

That was it. Or, specifically, I didn't think to place a laser straight-horizontal right above him as he slides along the bottom to catch everything, as soon as I did that I handled him much better. Thanks!

AmyS

cqJuT7S.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-12-11-dariusburst-chronicle-saviours-review

However you choose to play, whether all or in part, alone or in a group, DBCS is a product of exceptional grace. Cinematic and grandiose, the hypnotic flow of its stages and the dynamism of your weaponry is only upstaged by its set-piece bosses. From giant mechanised crabs and hulking sea turtles to formidable stingrays, swordfish and golden lobsters, each battle is positively majestic. When you're in the heat of it, pyrotechnics blistering all around, firing off the Burst Unit and tripping through laser belts being spewed in concentric clusters, the adrenaline only subsides when shafts of light spill from between your foe's ceramic scales and they go up in a thundering ball of flame.

Top Bottom