• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 1 in the biggest drop in quality in the series

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the enemy placement in Dark Souls II alone is shit. then there is the level design. then the combat. i can't think of a single element of that game which isn't a disaster.

this "It tried something new!" shit is obnoxious. if i went to a restaurant and the chef took a shit and served that, it would be "something new".

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
the enemy placement in Dark Souls II alone is shit. then there is the level design. then the combat. i can't think of a single element of that game which isn't a disaster.

this "It tried something new!" shit is obnoxious. if i went to a restaurant and the chef took a shit and served that, it would be "something new".

Even accepting your criticisms, which for the record I disagree with, then what about these aspects:

Its the only game in the series with actually meaningful ng+, it has more and better differentiated PVP as a result of it also having the best range of covenants in the series, it has the most interactive and dynamic environments, as well as being the largest game in the series overall. Its the one with the most user agency in tweaking difficulty outside of Demon's, you have actual granular control on a per area basis thanks to the bonfire system.

I could go on, but the point is always going to be that with DS2, From were actually trying to add stuff to enrich the formula. DS3 has none of this, even though everything I mentioned could have been implemented without disrupting the things you like.

HarryKS

Just wait until you play Demon Souls, I know it was the one that started it all, but it was so full of jank.

Playing any of the a Dark Souls game is a blessing compared to how Demon Souls used to play.

Did you actually play Demon's Souls? Honest question.

Either someone went in and altered your memories or you just just watched a few videos of it and called it a day.

FunkMiller

From games have sold in excess of 40 million, to universal praise.

Most people have never played Demon’s Souls.

Anyone who thinks the remake isn’t going to sell a shit ton must have had a lobotomy.

Holgren

I thought the DLC of Dark Souls1 was pretty disappointing but the game was alright. The overall world is better but I still like Tower of Latria more than any other part in DS1.

BB>DeS>Sekiro>DS1>DS3

I haven't played DS2.

Last edited:

Isa

I don't get why people are so full of vitriol when it comes to, well, anything really. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, its annoying when people so quickly dismiss others' in condescending and often rude terms. I've really enjoyed all of their games, I feel they all have heart and quality. Differing design decisions and aesthetics can obviously sway one's opinion, but I feel they all do something different. I love Demon's Souls and Dark Souls II, with Bloodborne and 3 then DS1.

In my opinion the games that seem the jankiest, or especially lack that From magic are all the imitators, such as Lords of the Fallen, The Surge, Mortal Shell and tons more. They often lack any substantial content especially for the asking price, and typically are just trying to ape the greatness that preceded them. I'd throw Code Vein in that list even though I enjoyed it more than most others, but I hold Nioh 1 and in particular 2 in high regard. They do so many unique things with their own nuances and mechanics that it furthers the "genre" imho. All while providing a wealth of content.

This post is obnoxious, viva la Dark Souls ll! Eat shit haters! Total pleb filter! "Wah, enemy was placed behind a wall I didn't know they were there, how dare a Dark Souls game teach me to never feel safe"

Not even joking no one is more obnoxious than people who hate Dark Souls ll, game is fucking amazing, it almost makes me want to shit on the other entries out of spite but I can't, they all rock, still I have immense levels of spite inside me for people who give that game shit, they're on the same level as MGS V haters to me.

Last edited:

iorek21

I guess an argument could be made that after Anor Londo things become a little too linear and a lot of jank is added. Can list some of it in a quick list:

Lost Izalith + Bed of Chaos is pure shit
Crystal Caves + Forced Seath death is also pure shit
Tomb of Giants has those skeleton dogs with shitty hitbox

Some of its content feels very rushed, and there was probably a development hell thingy going on around that time.

HOWEVER, even with all its faults, DS1 is still miles better than DS2 (not counting the dlc, tho, those were pretty neat) and that linear shit that was DS3.

In my opinion, DS1=BB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DS2 + DLC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DS3

iconmaster

Banned
I’ve just completed Anor Londo on my second playthrough (first was years ago), so I can report back in a bit; but I feel the criticisms of Dark Souls’ endgame are a bit exaggerated. There are still some cool areas to explore.

Duke’s Archives make a cool little puzzle box; Catacombs are spooky and intricate.

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
OK so clearly a person who thinks DS2 is the best in series will go against the grain. Look, OP, you're clearly in the small minority of people who for one reason or another play Dark Souls not for the plot, for the interconnected wonderful setting, eerie snippets of lore, atmosphere etc. You're part of the small community that instead focuses on some form of "balance", PVP, scaling and stat crunch.

Yes - Dark Souls 2 is for you. It's probably the most interesting and "balanced" Dark Souls game with the best high-level scaling and ascetics and whatever.

For 90% of people including me, Dark Souls is about mystery, lore, exploration. It's about wonder and crushing difficulty no matter how unfair. Because Dark Souls is about beauty and elegance. DS2 is a fucking piece of shit garbage which has the most illogical world, terrible stat distribution, poor story, no sense of wonder - it's simply inelegant. From it's visuals that are "meh" to monster design to combat feel - it lacks a vision like a series of refined level devoid of the spark of craziness that actually gives Dark Souls it's unique vibe. DS2 is the only game I haven't finished and DS1 is one of the most important games of the previous generation and its influence is factually much larger. so you can stick to your truth but you will always be in the minority opinion and nobody should design a Dark Souls game like DS2.

martino

the more action they go, the less i like the games
sadly for me, it's the road they have choosen after ds2.

Let me try it again. Demon's Souls had the best Atmosphere outside of Bloodborne. Atmosphere.
for sure .
but a lot in the game make apparent development was made with 6th gen boundaries still in mind

Last edited:
Bloodborne > Demon's Souls > the entire "Dark" series.

You know it's true, I couldn't do more than about 10-15 hours of DS 1-3 because they just never grabbed me and like Demon's Souls: and to be fair, Demon's Souls was played at a time where I wasn't very well off financially and put about 500 hours into it over the course of 2 years so my opinion is EXTREMELY biased.

Bloodborne I felt changed the combat loop enough to feel like an actual sequel not just "isolate, fight one on one and you'll be fine for the entire series!" And the change of scenery felt very, very fresh.
Agreed. What I most want out of a future Souls game (hopefully a new BB) is an even better combat system. I have no interest fighting a giant boss only to kill it by hacking away at its ankle. Tired of that shit.

• I want the adaptive triggers to simulate the weight of a great sword and every other weapon
  • I want the haptic feedback to respond accordingly to different enemy types as you attack them or as they attack you
  • I want enemies to respond differently to different weapons when they are attacked based on the enemies own armor/weight/height
  • The momentum of you and your weapons should apply too
This all requires probably lots of CPU grunt, so I hope they can finally do this. It's got to be something they've wanted to do for a while.

10v12

Well I don't know if it's the biggest drop in quality in the series, but it is definitely a drop. The first two thirds of DS is, in my opinion, close to perfect. But after O&S, the game became a chore to me (except Duke's Archives/New Londo which I really enjoyed), and I can't quite figure out why. As a result, I overall had a better time with Demon's Souls. My ranking of the games would be:

BB < DS3 < DeS < DS < DS2

laynelane

DS1 is my least favourite Souls game and that's one of the major reasons. I don't enjoy the second part of the game very much. It's not all bad - I like the Archives and the lore surrounding it, for example. Many people hail it as an unparalleled masterpiece, but I deduct points for things like Lost Izalith. I agree with you about DS2. I appreciate that they tried to do new things and I loved many things about it. I'm not sure what you mean about DS3 being "weak", but I find it a pleasure to play.

Top Bottom