• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 changes discussed, focus on removing tedium & backtracking [Fact Sheet]

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm pretty sure I beat all of Sen's without finding the bonfire my first time. Actually ran back to grab it later. I was quite impressed with myself when I found the Izalith one though. But, yes, the feeling of helplessnes you have when you're searching for a bonfire, and the relief of finding one.. true survival horror.

Aguirre

Knowing where they all are, I like the amount of bonfires. But I know on my first playthrough, not knowing the locations of the bonfires, I found myself getting more and more anxious the further I got in, away from my last bonfire. And then coming up to a fog gate with a relatively large amount of souls was always nerve wracking.

I love that about this series, though, and wouldn't change it. Exploration is so rewarding. Finding a shortcut or a bonfire is incredibly helpful and a celebratory event. And even finding a ring or armor/weapon I suspect I'll never use is satisfying.

In short, it certainly can be a long way between bonfires when you don't know their locations or, god forbid, you miss one - but I wouldn't have it any other way. =)

sens fortress made me question every step i took. i too was carrying a large amount of souls and i basically walked slowly and carefully to the next bonfire.

if there was a wooden floor, i'd ponder whether it was a trap before nervously taking a step.

and i like that about this game too, the never knowing whats around the corner to kill you.

fresquito

You can lower the ladder under bridge to directly access the bridge from the bonfire. If you are facing the dragon, it is on the right side in the middle of the bridge. Let the dragon kill the enemies on the bridge and than run forest run! Once under underneath the dragon can't reach you. Lower the ladder -> go to the bonfire -> use the ladder from now on to continue.
I've gone long beyond that point, the dragon killed me the first time, though. Now the dragon doesnt spit fire anymore until mid bridge (dont know if I get closer because I havent risked). I have gone under the bridge, followed on and found no bonfire. Killed the next mid boss (one that you kill from above) and have died from two big knights that followed me until I was dead.

Next time I play I will check better.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Psh, I'm runnin 2handed all day every day. Bosses are the ones ABB when I roll through dat fog.

To be fair, early on 2 handed is easier than sword and board. I think.

I got the game last year but quit at the anor londo archers after running into that wall dozens of times. Capra was a bitch too, 20 attempts or so. I see the drake sword until sens when I got the lightning spear. Always, be blocking, super careful, doing crappy damage with a crappy move set and crappy range. It was a miserable slog. Ultra conservative, afraid of trying new things. Hoarding precious souls to level up stats.

I recently started a new play through to beat the game. But this time I had a different attitude. Tried several weapons including EXPERTZ ONLY!!!! no shield 2 handers. Well, I'm now rocking a zweihander +5, and all I use a shield for is the stamina regen. I'm killing shit in one hit before it can even hit me. I stun lock groups of enemies. It's sorta high risk high reward tho but so awesome. Meanwhile I saw that magic weapon buff thing on the vendor and what the heck, I'm gonna give it a try, after all it only requires 10 int. Holy crap.

Gargoyles, first try. Capra, third. Gaping dragon, first. That zwei's blows flatten enemies to the ground. R1 has a huge arc, R2 has awesome vertical range and the roll R1 hits shit a mile away.

To be fair, all the newb advice like picking pyro, using the drake sword, always be blocking... I believed it and it screwed my enjoyment of the game.

Always be blocking... Bull crap! Always be rolling!

Edit: this time I picked as starting class thief because i thought it looked cool.

FGMPR

Banned
To be fair, early on 2 handed is easier than sword and board. I think.

I got the game last year but quit at the anor londo archers after running into that wall dozens of times. Capra was a bitch too, 20 attempts or so. I see the drake sword until sens when I got the lightning spear. Always, be blocking, super careful, doing crappy damage with a crappy move set and crappy range. It was a miserable slog. Ultra conservative, afraid of trying new things. Hoarding precious souls to level up stats.

I recently started a new play through to beat the game. But this time I had a different attitude. Tried several weapons including EXPERTZ ONLY!!!! no shield 2 handers. Well, I'm now rocking a zweihander +5, and all I use a shield for is the stamina regen. I'm killing shit in one hit before it can even hit me. I stun lock groups of enemies. It's sorta high risk high reward tho but so awesome. Meanwhile I saw that magic weapon buff thing on the vendor and what the heck, I'm gonna give it a try, after all it only requires 10 int. Holy crap.

Gargoyles, first try. Capra, third. Gaping dragon, first. That zwei's blows flatten enemies to the ground. R1 has a huge arc, R2 has awesome vertical range and the roll R1 hits shit a mile away.

To be fair, all the newb advice like picking pyro, using the drake sword, always be blocking... I believed it and it screwed my enjoyment of the game.

Always be blocking... Bull crap! Always be rolling!

Edit: this time I picked as starting class thief because i thought it looked cool.

That's the thing I learned quickly, also. Even after pumping most of my levels into endurance, blocking comes at such a stamina cost that you are almost always better off rolling around if you can. That, and learning to not rely on the toggle aim as it can stifle your movement, especially around the bigger shielded enemies.

You think they'll fix wall/object clipping?
Because I just loved when Sentinels/Giants in Anor Londo swooped me with the spear through a FUCKING PILLAR. -_-
...and that's just one example.

Top Bottom