• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 First Impressions of the Full Game

How the fuck am I gonna stop myself from watching livestreams of this before I get the game and play it? I have like zero willpower. :(

The Hermit

I cant watch these videos because everybody that plays is fucking terrible.

Your character has a shield - I WONDER WHAT IT'S FOR!?

Your character has a magic staff that shoots magic arrows - CLOSE RANGE BRAWLER

Your character can parry and dodge roll - STAND AND GET HIT REPEATEDLY WHILE NOT USING SHIELD AS WELL.

besides that, I think the animation and the "weight" is different than dark souls. You could feel how heavy each sword/club/shield were and they animated it perfectly.

This feels kinda loose, if you know what I mean.

Also, I don't think I could play the console version after playing the PC Durante´s Version.

Orayn

besides that, I think the animation and the "weight" is different than dark souls. You could feel how heavy each sword/club/shield were and they animated it perfectly.

This feels kinda loose, if you know what I mean.

Also, I don't think I could play the console version after playing the PC Durante´s Version.

The animations seem a little different, but I don't think that's the only factor. When people playing the demo miss attacks over and over, it might be because they changed how lock-on works for certain weapons. Your attacks come out in the direction your character was moving, rather than automatically being aimed at your lock-on target.

Silly question, guys: in terms of Xbox Live, will DSII work the same way as DS? i.e. actual summoning/invading and interaction requires a Gold subscription?

Akainu

Which is my problem. They're needlessly putting it behind tedium. One of my biggest issues with Demon's Souls was how you were sent back to the hub every time you wanted to level, learn new things, store items or even just reset the enemy spawns of a level.

You's a bitch.
Not really.
Hopefully they have item burden too.

i'm probably gonna cave in and buy the ps3 version if the framerate isn't completely horrible.

i'll get the pc version for another playthrough

I like that to level up, the player has to talk to an NPC. Here's hoping she'll say "so that the world might be mended; so that the world might be mended." If she doesn't, I'll be disappointed.

hitsugi

The waiting for the release time isn't terrible, I have Toukiden and Bravely Default until that. But waiting for it to be shipped to my home while everyone else playing it, that'll be different.

They can't show how "hard" it is if they hire speedrunner to play it :p

Someone that could kill the most basic, random mobs would have been ok. Not asking for boss kills... just asking for someone to block or step back now and then... when the gameplay you show is painful is to watch, it isn't really a good thing.

Bowler

Why would they want that associated with them? It's a terrible attitude. They have one amazing looking game coming out and you're just clamoring for the next thing already.

You should hold out the few weeks for the PC version, they've said that it will be an improvement and the first game is already very playable on PC. That's next gen and every gen right there!

I don't really think its a terrible attitude versus wanting to play a game on settings that do not drop to 10 fps. Blighttown still gives me nightmares.

not to say ds2 will have spots that drop that low, but we are talking about 8 year old tech. (sadly i do not have a pc to run the game)

Ill Saint

The game is up for pre-order on EU and US PSN. You get bonus early access to the previously revealed in-game weapon and shield sets, plus a dynamic theme.

gaugebozo

Finding it so hard not to delve into everything known about this game. Doesn't help that there's a thread like this every day on GAF.

Orayn

Disgusting in a game like Dark Souls II.

They're slightly altered versions of early game and starter equipment, not boss soul weapons. Don't get me wrong, I have a problem with it on principle as well, but it's probably not going to make much difference in the bigger scheme of things.

Lazyslob

Banned
I seriously cannot wait for this game. Demons/Dark Souls have been my favorite games for a long time. To me, such unique games. Will be joining y'all on pc when this drops.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Silly question, guys: in terms of Xbox Live, will DSII work the same way as DS? i.e. actual summoning/invading and interaction requires a Gold subscription?

Yes, Gold required.
I dunno if leaving messages on the ground required Gold, but I suppose it does since the game doesn't make a distinction between that and proper multiplayer, you're just either online or offline.

MilkBeard

I like the sound of the changes. It's important that Dark Souls II carves itself a new path from Dark Souls in some ways, kind of like the difference between Demon's and Dark. As for the 'inconvenience' thing, I never had a problem with the Nexus, even though I prefer the bonfire setup of Dark Souls more. The only thing that was an 'inconvenience' to me was the loading times between place to place, but even then I forgot about it as soon as I got to play again.

This game sounds like it's going to be something quite special. Can't wait.

Ill Saint

Scamco gonna scam.

Well, there's no scam here... these items will be found in the normal course of the game, and this pre-order incentive just gives you early access to them.

I can imagine they will be useful for Souls newcomers, and of novelty value for veterans. Hardly a big deal.

Yes, Gold required.
I dunno if leaving messages on the ground required Gold, but I suppose it does since the game doesn't make a distinction between that and proper multiplayer, you're just either online or offline.

Thanks, mayne.

Ha. Guess I'm going to be buying a year of Live for one game. In the corner with you, PS4.

Tevious

I am really looking forward to playing Dark Souls II. I'm so glad it'll be Day-One Digital on PSN now. Fucking preordered! I'm digital only, so I was just going to go with the PC version. I may still get it on PC after it goes on sale for ~$10 someday.

I've played Demon's Souls way back when it came out in the US and loved it. I didn't get around to starting Dark Souls until last year. I was trying to play it at the same time as some friends, so we could assist each other with bosses, ect. However, they both quit playing, so I waited for them to have time to return. After watching some of Jeff Green's livestreams on YouTube, I just couldn't wait any longer and started playing again last week. I've even livestreamed myself. I recently got an Elgato, so I will be livestreaming Dark Souls II on my PS3 once it comes out. Kind of neat to have people watch and provide tips.

Jobbs

Banned
How the fuck am I gonna stop myself from watching livestreams of this before I get the game and play it? I have like zero willpower. :(

Miraculously, I've managed to avoid almsot everything so far, and while livestreams may be hard to resist, I will have to. Last time, I indulged fully in livestreams and as a result has a lot of the early to mid game spoiled to varying degrees. I don't want that again.

Incidentally, any of you guys have any plans on what kind of character you're going to make on your first play? Without any knowledge of what types of things may specifically be in Dark Souls 2 (I don't even know the starter classes), I want to continue my tradition from last time and start with a faith type character.

2AdEPT

Miraculously, I've managed to avoid almsot everything so far, and while livestreams may be hard to resist, I will have to. Last time, I indulged fully in livestreams and as a result has a lot of the early to mid game spoiled to varying degrees. I don't want that again.

Incidentally, any of you guys have any plans on what kind of character you're going to make on your first play? Without any knowledge of what types of things may specifically be in Dark Souls 2 (I don't even know the starter classes), I want to continue my tradition from last time and start with a faith type character.

I will be starting one each of pure mage, faith/strength, dual wield dex/bows, and maybe pure strength. Any time I find an item that clearly would help different build, I will switch characters and find the item in their world, etc. etc. etc. With a more early fast travel open world this may be easier in DS2 than in previous manifestations.

Mutombo

Yeah I'm stopping with too much info as well. I'm about to pre-order even, maybe.

I'll try to go a Dual Wield route, putting points in agility and dexterity and vitality. With a small shield as a secondary equip.

If I fail miserably, I'm going pure pure strength build and try to find a big ass axe to one shot all my enemies with.

Shinjica

They're slightly altered versions of early game and starter equipment, not boss soul weapons. Don't get me wrong, I have a problem with it on principle as well, but it's probably not going to make much difference in the bigger scheme of things.

Even if you find it during the game and they are not strong as boss weapon is a bad decision.

But we already know this will happen. When a game get attention by a bigger audience, shit like that start happen

Feindflug

Same here, Strength/Faith build but female this time around...she will look as close it can get to Brienne. :p

Steez

Even if you find it during the game and they are not strong as boss weapon is a bad decision.

But we already know this will happen. When a game get attention by a bigger audience, shit like that start happen

Sadly, it's pretty much unavoidable at this point with pre-ordering being so incredibly popular among gamers (which I still don't really understand btw), but I gotta agree with Orayn.
This is the least intrusive way to implement day 1 DLC, which means that Bamco is probably aware that they have a very special series in their hands and know that too many shenanigans will hurt the future of the Souls games by alienating the core audience.

I'll just to buy the game retail and won't even have to worry about dropping the items after starting a new game.

Visceir

Wielding a Iaito 2handed was my favorite way to roll in Dark souls. I will probably go for a dex build, perhaps make more use of bows and maybe allocate some points into either int or faith depending on what kind of buffs there are in the game.

Steez

I used to roll a dex character on my first playthrough of each Souls game, but I think I'm going to go for a quality build this time around. I'm curious about the new (weapon class spoiler)
double-bladed weapons and they're supposed to scale with with str and dex
Or I might end up continuing my dex build tradition, if I find something like the Balder Side Sword.

Serra

I can't decide, will probably pump endurance and adaptability with some vitality at the start and try out what I like. Maybe a dex build. I will most likely save the strength build for the inevitable second playthrough on the PC.

Almost certainly a mage. I'm nerdishly excited about the new ways to cast spells as well as new spells themselves of course.

I think I came to the conclusion a long time ago magic is my favourite stuff to use in DS although I've done just about every type of build there is to do - multiple times. I'm trying to rush through Ni No Kuni right now so I can get back and do another Demon's Souls run through before DS2 hits, I'm fucking addicted!

Zukuu

Banned

I usually started with Hybrids (Royal and Pyromancer respectively) without any knowledge of the games. This time around, I want to focus on a Spear build right away tho, since I used one in one of my playthroughs of Dark Souls and just fell in love with Silver Knight Spear. Best. Weapon. Ever.

I need that again. Dunno if DEX or STR tho. I assume they will remain DEX for the most part.

Top Bottom