• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls GFWL to Steamworks Migration is now live.

Dear Dark Souls fans,

You can now update your Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition for PC game to replace the Games for Windows Live functionality with Steamworks functionality. The update is available from today – December 15th and will let you keep both your Save Data and Achievements.
Please read below or visit http://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/discussions/s/s/s/ to read the update process.

If you played or are currently playing Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition, you will be able to update and keep your Save Data and Achievements. The Save Data and Achievements transfer service is being provided from December 15th to February 16th. From February 16th, the new version using Steamworks functionalities will become the default version of the game.

Please read the process below to update your game properly. Please note that from February 16th, we cannot guarantee that your Save Data and Achievements will be able to be transferred.

CASE 1: If you already purchased Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition prior to December 15th, the following process will be available to February 16th for you to transfer your Save Data and Achievements.

For users who purchased a Game for Windows live version from a retailer (Disc) or Games for Windows Live Marketplace (Digital):
1) We recommend that you add Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die to your Steam account using your serial
2) Launch the game and connect to Games for Windows Live.
3) Run the game (only the currently signed-in user’s Save Data and Achievements can be transferred to Steam).
4) Close the Game.
5) Right click on your game in the Steam Library, go into Properties, check that the BETA tab is set to “dsptde-2.0-“
6) Launch Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition v2.0 from Steam
7) The game will look for previous Save Data and Achievements. If Save Data and Achievements are detected on your computer, you should be able to continue your progress in the game. Achievements should be unlocked in Steam.

For users who purchased a Game for Windows live version from Steam:
1) Launch the game and connect to Games for Windows Live.
2) Run the game (only the currently signed-on user’s progress can be transferred to Steam).
3) Close Games for Windows Live
4) Right click on your game in the Steam Library, go into Properties, check that the BETA tab is set to “dsptde-2.0-“
5) Launch Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition v2.0 from Steam
6) Sign in using the same live profile used in step-2 to import your Save Data and Achievements from the Games for Windows Live version to the Steam version for the same profile (gamertag)
7) The game will look for previous Save Data and Achievements. If they are detected on your computer, you should be able to continue your progress in the game and achievements should be unlocked in Steam.

CASE 2: For users who purchase Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition between December 15th and February 16th:

1) Once the game is downloaded, right click on your game in the Steam library, go into properties, check that the BETA tab is set to “dsptde-2.0-“
2) Launch Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition v2.0 from Steam.

CASE 3: For users who purchase Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition on or after February 16th (this will be the steam only version):

1) Launch Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition from Steam

http://steamcommunity.com/games/211420/announcements/detail/206368522048405952

Exuro

So it's been a while since I've played but I want to get my GFWL stuff moved over to steam, but when I start the game up it always starts in offline mode. Made sure I had the latest GFWL client as well. What can I do? I've tried opening the Live market place but it doesn't connect.

NEO0MJ

Gonna leave my question here as well just in case.

The game data is currently not in the steam games file. Do I have to transfer it first?

So it's been a while since I've played but I want to get my GFWL stuff moved over to steam, but when I start the game up it always starts in offline mode. Made sure I had the latest GFWL client as well. What can I do? I've tried opening the Live market place but it doesn't connect.

I had an immense amount of trouble getting GFWL to work with Dark Souls. The default version always failed to connect, the GFWL website had no download option, and in the end I only got it working by using an old GFWL installer that I had lying around.

What I'm saying is, I suggest you try and figure out the latest file version, the file verison Dark Souls has installed with it, and the file version you're currently using. When it comes to GFWL, newer isn't always better.

Hugstable

Banned
All I did was start my game and I got tons of Steam achievements. I'm guessing that all I needed to do, or do I still need to follow the instructions?

Sooo, silly question maybe. I don't have Dark Souls installed at the moment. If I install it now, will it still use GFWL to log in? I don't care about the save game/achievements transfer. I just want to play without installing/logging into GFWL.

Unai

Sooo, silly question maybe. I don't have Dark Souls installed at the moment. If I install it now, will it still use GFWL to log in? I don't care about the save game/achievements transfer. I just want to play without installing/logging into GFWL.

From the looks of it, just change to the beta branch and then install.

Edit: I'm in the same situation. I think we only need to do what gngf123 said.

WGMBY

All I did was start my game and I got tons of Steam achievements. I'm guessing that all I needed to do, or do I still need to follow the instructions?

it seems when you just start it the game runs GFWL and steam at the same time. you need to right click on dark souls, go to the steam properties window, and then click on the beta tab, the way it describes in the instructions. Set the beta to the only one available, and then run the game again to transfer your saves to steam as well. It should say at the bottom of the Dark Souls main menu "STEAM" instead of "WINDOWS LIVE" or something like that.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
zq3DQeO.png

Anyone else?

I could load my save and run around the bonfire fine with dsfix, but it is set to 30fps, so I'm not sure if setting to 60fps works or not. It did take me a few minutes to figure out how to get my offline save to work with the update, but they just changed the name of the saves folder in my documents.

I'm guessing I can just add a firewall rule to windows so I can continue to play offline now...first time playing the game, and I just want to do it solo.

Raptomex

I just launched it, the game works with DSfix, but you have to disable the frame rate unlock (unlockFPS 0).

Hopefully Durante will soon fix it for the last time.

Disable frame rate unlock if you're using it.
Now I'm excited. I'll install the game and try this when I get home.

TheMoon

So if I got this right, those of us who have owned the game for quite some time but haven't yet installed it (because backlog woo!) don't HAVE to install it now and "transfer" empty save data and 0 achievements just so it works, right? If we decide to install and start the game for the very first time, say, in March, we'd be cool?

Sohaim

i saw some people complaining about not being able to connect to other friends,can someone test if we still need the online fix? my buddies are all offline now.

Vizzeh

Banned
I only just purchased this game yesterday on Steam, i presume the "windows live" login is still essential?

Completed this on PS3, thought I would give the PC version a shot, in anticipation of the DS: Remastered.

did all the mods, dsfix, dscfix, new textures, sweetfx etc - My game runs at 74fps no probs (fps max for monitor)

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I could load my save and run around the bonfire fine with dsfix, but it is set to 30fps, so I'm not sure if setting to 60fps works or not. It did take me a few minutes to figure out how to get my offline save to work with the update, but they just changed the name of the saves folder in my documents.

I'm guessing I can just add a firewall rule to windows so I can continue to play offline now...first time playing the game, and I just want to do it solo.

Just play hollow. You can still see bloodstains (and even offer your services for summoning), but you won't be able to be invaded.

It's not like Dark Souls 2 where it's all invasions, all the time.

So if I got this right, those of us who have owned the game for quite some time but haven't yet installed it (because backlog woo!) don't HAVE to install it now and "transfer" empty save data and 0 achievements just so it works, right? If we decide to install and start the game for the very first time, say, in March, we'd be cool?

Yes, you can also start playing the game today without having to worry about going through hoops. Just make sure to opt in the Steam build 2.0 before starting your game, which at some point will be a final update (maybe on February 15th) to complete the migration.

epmode

Y'know, as terrible as it is that From and/or Namco still didn't bother to fix their shitty port, providing a method to migrate a GFWL save to Steamworks is pretty awesome. I just migrated, character and achievements intact.

Same, I never even unlocked the framerate in the first place

You really should try it. It's a massive improvement even if you have to manually disable it every once in a while.

It's also a great way to show others the difference between 30 and 60 FPS.

Adnor

Banned
Why would them taking out GFWL change anything about DSfix or it's purpose?

Well, they would make the most of the patch and fix the rendering resolution problem too. That way they would fix two things that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Xater

Do I need to do anything or will I have the Steamworks version after that February date no matter what? Is this just relevant for the transferring of save data?

Top Bottom