• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

eot

Banned
Why can't every game as perfect the paragon of animations, physics and hit detection that is Miyazaki-san's masterpiece Bloodborne?

bbpig.gif

The physics and hit detection are fine in that gif, it looks weird because the camera is jumping back and forth when it collides with the pig and then the railing. Dunno what is up with the invisible pig though.

There are far better examples of gank squads (like, the actual gank squad boss fight in the first DLC) in Dark Souls 2 than Darklurker. Even when it splits in two it's still completely feasible to avoid all its attacks. You just need to move around (not locking on helps) and dodge. It requires a different approach from your average Souls boss but it's a good boss fight in my opinion once you get to grips with it.

Apart from the Gank Squad in the first DLC and the first phase of the Burnt Ivory King, I don't actually get why people find those boss fights with multiple enemies hard, they are all simple and are all balanced around the fact you face several enemies at once.

They are not handled as well as the aforementioned Bloodborne fights, but they do many things similarily - they do have tricks to make them simpler (kill the first sentinel before coming down, kill the skeleton lords in the right order to keep the most annoying skeletons for the end of the fight, spread damage across the throne defender and watcher to prevent them from reviving each other, kill the bow wielding dragonrider first, etc...).

On a related note, I'm pretty sure if the hidden village 3 man gank squad was in Dark Souls 2 we'd get lots and lots of B team talk.

Darklurker was the biggest POS that I remember but Mirror Knight was cheap and forces med to co-op, Belfry Gargoyles, Ruin sentinels, Royal Rat Vanguard all forces co-op on me which I hate. Also I hate when people online argue that I suck becuse it took me 100 tries to beat Darklurker as melee when I have never had any other problems with any other boss in Demon's, Dark or Bloodborne to that extent. You know, it might acutally be a shitty boss that's unbalances for pure melee characters. Especially since I destroyed him with my spellcaster. Also first boss of DLC made me quit the DLC and give up on this deeply unfair game. Btw I'm enjoying most of Bloodborne except the respawning enemies part which is quite frankly also shite but less so.

Twin Dragonriders, Throne Defender, Executioner chariot, Skeleton lords where all fine and balanced mob bosses in my opinion since like you said there was a fairness to them that you could exploit.

sobaka770

Banned
I just
Rung the second bell in Blighttown
in Dark Souls and I'm so ashamed that I missed out on this game in my Steam backlog for over 3 years. I'm so impressed with level design in this game where I really feel like I'm going through one big location, even though the separate levels are so distinct. I use a guide sporadically because I don't really have time to look for hidden secrets by myself as my backlog is calling.

As far as I understand the cohesion is somewhat lost in DS2 and I'm slightly skeptical of warping between bonfires from the start of the game. The fun in DS for me is to memorizing the locations which make Lordran such a believable world. I think warping around would ruin this feeling quite a bit. But if it's even half as fun as DS, I think I can shell out for the upgrade (I personally think that DX11 lighting improvements really bring a lot to the game's look).

Corpekata

Banned
Darklurker was the biggest POS that I remember but Mirror Knight was cheap and forces med to co-op, Belfry Gargoyles, Ruin sentinels, Royal Rat Vanguard all forces co-op on me which I hate. Also I hate when people online argue that I suck becuse it took me 100 tries to beat Darklurker as melee when I have never had any other problems with any other boss in Demon's, Dark or Bloodborne to that extent. You know, it might acutally be a shitty boss that's unbalances for pure melee characters. Especially since I destroyed him with my spellcaster. Also first boss of DLC made me quit the DLC and give up on this deeply unfair game. Btw I'm enjoying most of Bloodborne except the respawning enemies part which is quite frankly also shite but less so.

Twin Dragonriders, Throne Defender, Executioner chariot, Skeleton lords where all fine and balanced mob bosses in my opinion since like you said there was a fairness to them that you could exploit.

Most of those bosses don't require co-op. Hell the Royal Rat boss doesn't even let you, that's one of the notable additions to this version, letting you co-op the two rat bosses. Sentinels and Gargs I'll grant, but I would not say most of those force it on you.

AmyS

The thread title is awesome.

What I find interesting is the DSII TGS 2013 trailer which of course has the dynamic lighting & shadows, large amount of particles, higher geometry detail, etc. The odd thing is, that couldn't have been on Xbox 360 or PS3 but not because of the lighting and other stuff (which was cut / reduced to run at playable framerates on 360/PS3) but because it's at 1080p and 60 FPS, which means PC -- Whatever development PC FROM used.

Gamersyde (stream only now it seems): http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_dark_souls_ii_tgs_trailer-30829_en.html

IGN's Youtube video also be can be set to 1080p60: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjZvXpOMGxY

Can someone better explain this? Why would this trailer be 1080p 60FPS if they were showing off the last-gen console versions. Not to mention the lighting and other higher graphical aspects.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
As far as I understand the cohesion is somewhat lost in DS2 and I'm slightly skeptical of warping between bonfires from the start of the game. The fun in DS for me is to memorizing the locations which make Lordran such a believable world. I think warping around would ruin this feeling quite a bit. But if it's even half as fun as DS, I think I can shell out for the upgrade (I personally think that DX11 lighting improvements really bring a lot to the game's look).

The fast travel is optional, tbh. I found myself using it rarely unless I wanted to farm different areas quickly.

Carlius

Banned

well, lets be honest. co oping in rat and belfry gargoyles is a little exagerrated, nobody is forcing you to do anything. they were fine and completely beatable solo. Ruin sentinels maybe, but one thing ds2 did a lot better than 1 is the co op, i had a blast playing it with friends and we had no issus finding each other, i dont find the co op that intriguing in BB.

BB may be the newer prettier game and hell, even better, but there are things dark souls in genereal (ds1 and ds2) just do plain better. I'll take dark souls 2 any time, this BB bandwagon and ds2 hate is just unecessary. They are both very good games, but to say a game forces you to co op is silly.

eot

Banned
Darklurker was the biggest POS that I remember but Mirror Knight was cheap and forces med to co-op, Belfry Gargoyles, Ruin sentinels, Royal Rat Vanguard all forces co-op on me which I hate. Also I hate when people online argue that I suck becuse it took me 100 tries to beat Darklurker as melee when I have never had any other problems with any other boss in Demon's, Dark or Bloodborne to that extent. You know, it might acutally be a shitty boss that's unbalances for pure melee characters.

I did Darklurker melee only SL1 CoC, it's the best boss in Dark Souls II by a mile. Yes it's hard, no it's not bullshit.

Foffy

Banned
The fast travel is optional, tbh. I found myself using it rarely unless I wanted to farm different areas quickly.

It becomes a bit messy when you have to level up at Majula, the base of operations. You can narrow your playstyle and level up when you naturally get back to Majula by foot, but so many areas just branch away from it, but never get to it.

Or you can use bonfires like Bloodborne and go from Majula to wherever it is you are in the world, not using other locations.

Zocano

Where's my Michael Jordan laughing gif?

There isn't a single boss that forces coop in the game. I'm surprised you even listed the vanguard given how easy he is.

Darklurker is probably my favorite fight in the base game and I beat him in pure melee my first time through. He's a fucking hard battle but just as doable as any of the fights. It's probably the best designed multi boss in the game, to boot. The whole first half is there to teach you his moveset and all of his attacks have incredibly long wind ups. Sure you spend a ton of the fight just running but that's a good thing in my book.

D-VoN

Lightning's still an OP weapon buff, isn't it?

Not like it used to be. Duration scales with faith and using spices to lower requirements is basically useless now. Nothing will be more OP than Resonant Weapon at launch. You could literally 2-3 shot people with a Dark Infused Longsword.

I didn't have any problems with hit detection in Bloodborne but there are a good amount of enemies whose attacks clip through walls which can be annoying.

Donos

Looking forward to this after i finish BB. Can't wait to get a Claymore into my hands. Going in with STR build like always. Fook Harry Potter magic !

And please don't let this thread sink into heated DaS II vs BB discussions.

My ps4 copy just came today. Not sure what I will play now as I have this and bloodborne lol.
Bloodborne is a much shorter game so you might want to go through it first. Took me 27 hours to beat the game and every optional boss(outside of the Chalice dungeons)

RootCause

My ps4 copy just came today. Not sure what I will play now as I have this and bloodborne lol.
What a dilemma! :eek:
I never played the original release, so this is a new game to me. It's gonna have to wait a little bit. Too busy with BB, and GTAV.

I think the increased contrast helps a ton with the muddy looking textures. That was one of my main problems with the look of the game.
I did find one instance of nasty repeating textures which I had hoped they would have fixed.

takoyaki

So this is a total noob question but I have to ask. Dark Souls 2 runs on my PC but not incredibly well (30 with fairly frequent dips, and it gets Blighttown-rough in certain areas (like Tseldora)) - not ideal, but I can live with it. Obviously I don't expect SotFS to run any better, but should I expect the DX11 upgrade to make it run worse?

Here's the minimum requirements for the old version of DS2:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 3.2 GHz or Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo E8500 3.17 GHz
RAM: 2 GB
OS: Windows XP SP3, Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT, ATI Radeon HD 5870
Free Disk Space: 14 GB

and the ones for the DX11 version from the OP:

Processor: Intel Core i3 2100 3.1GHz, AMD A8 3870 3.6GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465 / AMD Radeon HD 6870 (DX11 required)
Hard Drive: 23 GB available space

It looks like the DX11 version will be more demanding and you need a DX11 card, so better wait for some benchmarks.

I was watching videos for this the other day and having never played DS2 or much of DS1 I really liked the idea of being able to summon a NPC to help you fight sometimes. I don't really play much online anymore so it's nice to have a option for some help here and there.

Are these kind of summons frequent throughout the game?

Corpekata

Banned
I was watching videos for this the other day and having never played DS2 or much of DS1 I really liked the idea of being able to summon a NPC to help you fight sometimes. I don't really play much online anymore so it's nice to have a option for some help here and there.

Yes. Not every fight but quite a few. Some have some prerequisites (like talking to a character) and are telling a sort of ministory as you are helping them defeat it as much as they are helping you, so you might see them in new areas. Some fights even let you bring two in the series.

pixlexic

Banned
Most of those bosses don't require co-op. Hell the Royal Rat boss doesn't even let you, that's one of the notable additions to this version, letting you co-op the two rat bosses. Sentinels and Gargs I'll grant, but I would not say most of those force it on you.

It all depends on you build really.

My magic user throwing all the lighting bolts still needed coop on most bosses but my super melee with a hammer as shield could easily beat bosses with no help.

takoyaki

Depends on your playstyle, but it can be pretty frequent if you want it to be. Summoning consumes a certain in-game currency that you can run out of (but you can farm more of it).

edit: sorry, tought you were also talking about online summoning.

Yes. Not every fight but quite a few. Some have some prerequisites (like talking to a character) and are telling a sort of ministory as you are helping them defeat it as much as they are helping you, so you might see them in new areas. Some fights even let you bring two in the series.

Depends on your playstyle, but it can be pretty frequent if you want it to be. Summoning consumes a certain in-game currency that you can run out of (but you can farm more of it) and you can only summon other people that are roughly the same level as your character. Being summoned into another person's game is also a good way of learning some new tricks and I think there's no limit on this option.

Very cool, thanks for the info :)

pixlexic

Banned

It looks like the DX11 version will be more demanding and you need a DX11 card, so better wait for some benchmarks.

Just lower some settings. The low end isn't that far from the high end.

Alright, thanks.

Tadale

I'm really looking forward to replaying this on PS4 since I never tried any of the DLC - I'm just waiting for a Bloodborne cool down.

Respect

Tempted to double dip, while I am loving Bloodborne, it has just created a craving for more. Never played any of the DaS 2 DLC, just the base game. Plus it will be nice to have a bit more variation in specs. But not sure I want to bite for $60. Decisions, decisions.

Loefah

Banned
I'm really looking forward to replaying this on PS4 since I never tried any of the DLC - I'm just waiting for a Bloodborne cool down.

Yup, same here. Bloodborne was so dark and opressive, think I will need a couple of weeks off before playing this. Played 50 hours on PS3 and never finished it. I was a Souls newb then though. I have since played DS1, DeS and Bloodborne so hopefully things will be a bit easier this time around.

Mogwai

Tempted to double dip, while I am loving Bloodborne and it has just created a craving for more. Never played any of the DLC, just the base game. Plus it will be nice to have a bit more variation in specs. But not sure I want to bite for $60. Decisions, decisions.
Even at full price, I wouldn't be sad. It's supporting FromSoft :)

elhav

I think the atmosphere is this "something" that a lot of people are missing in DkS2. For me too. If you play DeS and DkS1 and now Bloodborne before DkS2 youll just notice immediately that Myazaki was not on board. It just doesnt have the soul that the other three have. All other complaints are always about specific parts of the game like pvp players didnt like DkS2 because how matchmaking worked due to soul memory.
Actually, it's probably the atmosphere that made me love DS 2 the best, Now that I think about it more properly. Majula and some other areas were very memorable to me. It also seems like DS 2 is a much brighter game, with many sunny and incredible looking areas.

I think the contrast between the game world, and the sad stories you can find within it are what makes me love this game so much. Obviously, the other Souls games have more balanced gameplay, and DS 1 had more interesting characters, but when it comes to lore and world I think DS 2 hit the right notes for me. Also I do remember quite a bunch of characters that had amazing dialog from DS 2. Check Vaatividya's videos for some interpertation and shit.

Generally it's one of those cases where I'm not entirely sure why I prefer something over the other, but I just do. I can see why people didn't like it as much though.
I think the things I find it lacking compared to the previous game are really big standouts, particularly the world design. So many places seem so incoherent, and that stands out, as the previous game went out of its way to try to fit the locations it had with some logic. No elevator should go up from a windmill to fire mountains and castles, but if it went down, that'd make sense. I also thought the bosses and characters weren't particularly memorable, save for Vendrick and his story. Mind you, I did not touch the DLC, which is almost universally regarded as the saving grace and high point of the game; in fact, I put the game down because of the announcement of DLC after they claimed they had zero interest in ever making such stuff. To compare the Souls games to its predecessor franchise King's Field, Dark Souls II has a lot of the same criticisms that King's Field III had to its previous game. Not that either game is garbage, mind you; it only stands out when comparing, and comparing is always a slippery game.

Maybe this version will have enough changes and improvements to interest me again. I think the world building is kind of a lost cause, but I can let some of that slide. I for one hope the game forces darkness that requires a shield, or at the very least needing to break the brightness instead of trying desperately trying to find a purpose to it, save for the few mandatory points it's needed to just unlock things.
You make pretty good points. Can't really argue with that. The world itself was very memorable imo but it's true that it wasn't as well designed as in other Souls games.

Can't put my finger on it. Something about DS 2 just clicked with me way better than DS 1.

Tempted to double dip, while I am loving Bloodborne, it has just created a craving for more. Never played any of the DaS 2 DLC, just the base game. Plus it will be nice to have a bit more variation in specs. But not sure I want to bite for $60. Decisions, decisions.
Isn't the DLC like 15 bucks a piece? It's probably worth for the DLCs plus the improvements to the base game

Rambone

Going to get this on PS4, excited about the game even tho I've played it on PC to completion. I didn't get or play the expansions so it will be worth another play through at full-price.

My biggest decision that I will have to make is what build I'm going to decide to play. My previous build was STR/Faith build using Lightning based magic and some faster swords and a club for poise dmg. Giant Club basically knocked just about anything over and owned. I might do a STR build starting out, using the great club first. I'll think about branching my build off later on in the game but haven't decided. Dex seems like it would be interesting to toil around with but vanilla DSII it didn't seem like a very good route to take as much as I like to slaughter things as fast as I can by running in and doing fast dmg till they die before they can hit me.

Respect

Isn't the DLC like 15 bucks a piece? It's probably worth for the DLCs plus the improvements to the base game

Don't do this, now I know I will cave. This sucks.
Oh, I can't wait...hee hee!

EDIT: I know a heavy dex wasn't very good originally compared to others, it was good enough to get through NG+ easy enough, but was it improved at all?

Sorry, didn't mean that I had to co-op all but they were very frustrating battles that pissed me off and most felt clearly designed around coop which I felt was different compared to pervious Souls games where single player was always an option. I feel forced if I am unable to complete a boss on my own no matter how many times a try. Note that I finished previous games without co-op.

I did Darklurker melee only SL1 CoC, it's the best boss in Dark Souls II by a mile. Yes it's hard, no it's not bullshit.
I did Father Gascoigne blood lvl 10 and it wasn't a bullshit boss, however if I found out you could beat him by shooting him three times then yes, I would consider it a bullshit boss that is clearly unbalanced. Which is kind of what happende with Darklurker and my caster.

well, lets be honest. co oping in rat and belfry gargoyles is a little exagerrated, nobody is forcing you to do anything. they were fine and completely beatable solo. Ruin sentinels maybe, but one thing ds2 did a lot better than 1 is the co op, i had a blast playing it with friends and we had no issus finding each other, i dont find the co op that intriguing in BB.

BB may be the newer prettier game and hell, even better, but there are things dark souls in genereal (ds1 and ds2) just do plain better. I'll take dark souls 2 any time, this BB bandwagon and ds2 hate is just unecessary. They are both very good games, but to say a game forces you to co op is silly.
Nobody if forcing anybody but if you hit a wall with your character build and can't progress then you will look for ways, which is what I did and the only tools there were co-op och character respec. In the old games there was always at least a cheap way to finish a boss on your own since the usually had a weakness.

Like I said, I don't really hate Dark Souls 2, it was my most anticipated game but the fundamental design in it has pissed me off so much that I will probably never play it again. I still had the best time 90% of the time but don't want to experience the bad again.

Where's my Michael Jordan laughing gif?

There isn't a single boss that forces coop in the game. I'm surprised you even listed the vanguard given how easy he is.

Darklurker is probably my favorite fight in the base game and I beat him in pure melee my first time through. He's a fucking hard battle but just as doable as any of the fights. It's probably the best designed multi boss in the game, to boot. The whole first half is there to teach you his moveset and all of his attacks have incredibly long wind ups. Sure you spend a ton of the fight just running but that's a good thing in my book.
I don't know, maybe you hid it in your elitist personality gif box?

Vanguard wasn't really difficult but I found it to be a shitty and frustrating boss where they did very little exciting things with the mob aspect like other mob bosses which were interesting in ways.

Like I said above to the other guy. I'm sure you're super hardcore souls-vet and I should just "git gud" but your argument fails when I can destroy your "tuff" boss in a few shots with my caster making this fight a clear oversight in balancing by the devs.

Final word to you all, you seem to think I'm a hater but I love Souls games but people on this board need to get their heads out of their assholes when it comes to any critique towards these games. I agree with some of you about the Bloodborne wagon. Love the game but it also has flaws and I'm not even finished with it. It's okay to think that Dark Souls 2 has shitty elements and still love it. It's not a person and you don't have to defend a product. I however am a person and don't appreciate "lol I beat this boss with my Soul 0 character while my eyes were closed and you suck" argument. It's not very constructive and creates an environment where new fans to the series will not feel welcome. Because at the end of the day I hope as many people as possible buy Dark Souls 2 and make up their own minds about in the end great game.

void666

Banned
Do we know if it's going to be sold on steam? Just let me buy it dammit.

DS2 is a flawed game but i'm feeling the itch to play it again. With these changes it's like a "new" game.

I love bloodborne. I think it's a masterpiece. But i feel like NG+ is pointless and a want a new (kinda) "souls" experience. I want to lurk in dark hallways not knowing what lies ahead.

Respect

DaS 2 had its flaws and it is my least favorite of the Souls series...having said that I still loved the game.

Soul Memory was far away what I disliked the most about it. The combat was noticeably slower too, but it wasn't that bad...all my other gripes were fairly minor and easy enough for me to overlook.

ironcreed

Banned

post-43383-do-it-gif-Star-Wars-revenge-of-h5ES.gif

I missed the DLC as well, but would be heading back in anyway because of the technical upgrade and various other changes and additions. Not to mention that, like you, Bloodborne has also got me into that Souls groove. I am ready to slide right into this come next week.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Like I said above to the other guy. I'm sure you're super hardcore souls-vet and I should just "git gud" but your argument fails when I can destroy your "tuff" boss in a few shots with my caster making this fight a clear oversight in balancing by the devs.

I think its perfectly reasonable that different builds suit different bosses more than others, especially when DS2 offers you multiple chances to completely respec your character.

Grady

Never could beat darklurker. Most miserable boss of all time for me. Getting to her wasnt particularly exciting either. I look foward to finally get my revenge in 60 fps.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Do note that the E8500 was able to run the game maxed out with minor dips. And I mean minor.

ironcreed

Banned
I think its perfectly reasonable that different builds suit different bosses more than others, especially when DS2 offers you multiple chances to completely respec your character.

Yeah, that has always been the case. The bosses have always been weak to something, but the game is flexible enough to let you play how you want, regardless.

Top Bottom