• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III: The Ringed City |OT| One Last Journey

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
People seriously need to watch YT vids of an expert fight Midir. His attacks are quite easy to dodge and window of attack is safe albeit short. Thought he is one of the easier bosses in the saga with an obvious large health pool
They don't even need to watch an expert. They can watch a regular player like me (ok I guess I'm slightly above average, but by no means a LobosJr no-heal SL1 no upgrade yadda yadda kind of expert) do really well against him and only making a few sloppy mistakes.

How in the hell is Midir one of the easier bosses in the series?
If I can consistently beat a boss with tons of HP by using only 4 Estus top, then it's an easy boss for sure. I died more to Midir than to Pontiff Sulyvahn or even Nameless King, but now that I finally got his pattern down, I can kick his ass consistently, which I still can't do with harder bosses like Nameless King, the Princes, etc.

zewone

People seriously need to watch YT vids of an expert fight Midir. His attacks are quite easy to dodge and window of attack is safe albeit short. Thought he is one of the easier bosses in the saga with an obvious large health pool
"Watch an expert beat Midir to show you how easy it is."

What you want to do is notice the obvious tell for the long combos and avoid them (mostly) without dodging. You've already screwed up if you need to dodge every attack in, say, Sulyvahn's or
Gael's
wombo combo. Also, I don't think you really run out if you dodge only when you need to. Panic rolling is obviously going to deplete stamina fast.
This is another problem I personally have in DS3 - take Sulyvahn (or Gael, Friede etc) the flame effects on their attacks are visually confusing. I have a hard time telling (and remembering) the visual spacing of what will hit me and what won't because the flame effects extend so far out from their weapons. I've watched, say, speed runs where people aren't even rolling, so I realise that it doesn't all have a hurtbox, but I cannot tell this visually. I am not a fan of this, I call it the post-Maria Souls boss effect! :p
They got a hard on for those effects after Bloodborne, they're just not my thing.

laxu

This is another problem I personally have in DS3 - take Sulyvahn (or Gael, Friede etc) the flame effects on their attacks are visually confusing. I have a hard time telling (and remembering) the visual spacing of what will hit me and what won't because the flame effects extend so far out from their weapons. I've watched, say, speed runs where people aren't even rolling, so I realise that it doesn't all have a hurtbox, but I cannot tell this visually. I am not a fan of this, I call it the post-Maria Souls boss effect! :p
They got a hard on for those effects after Bloodborne, they're just not my thing.

I think that's exactly the intention. Gael has attacks where the screen is full of crap flying at you and he attacks right thru that shit. It adds to the intimidation and makes you panic roll only to be smashed to pieces.

Whales

Banned
I mean, I have a video of me beating midir while not embered and using up 14 estus flasks

I didn't even properly know his move set, I made a huge amounts of mistakes and used all of my estus but I STILL managed to beat him

hes fun to fight, you just need to stay in front of him

Ferr986

They don't even need to watch an expert. They can watch a regular player like me (ok I guess I'm slightly above average, but by no means a LobosJr no-heal SL1 no upgrade yadda yadda kind of expert) do really well against him and only making a few sloppy mistakes.

If I can consistently beat a boss with tons of HP by using only 4 Estus top, then it's an easy boss for sure. I died more to Midir than to Pontiff Sulyvahn or even Nameless King, but now that I finally got his pattern down, I can kick his ass consistently, which I still can't do with harder bosses like Nameless King, the Princes, etc.

And the end bosses are an "adquired taste", everyone has some that are easier for them compared to others. I have not much problems with the Princes but I do with Midir.

But still, just looking and how much people had and still has problems with him, it is unfair to say he is one of the easiest. If I suddenly turn into god mode and beat OoK without getting touch I would still say he's one of the hardest.

NEO0MJ

After fighting him a few times, I have to agree with those that said he's too erratic in movement, and doesn't help that his size makes it difficult to read what's going on at times.

Wagram

I'll be honest. I kind of found
Midir
disappointing compared to Sinh and Kalameet. He's incredibly telegraphy and mostly everything is easy to dodge once you see it. The only move that still stumps me is that late fight godzilla breath.

He looks more menacing than he is.

Toxi

Banned
I'll be honest. I kind of found
Midir
disappointing compared to Sinh and Kalameet. He's incredibly telegraphy and mostly everything is easy to dodge once you see it. The only move that still stumps me is that late fight godzilla breath.

He looks more menacing than he is.
Here you go.

Sande

I think the important thing here is that different people struggle with different kinds of bosses. Midir isn't straight-up easier than Twin Princes. He might be for you, but for me it's the opposite and it's not even close.

I'm kinda guilty of the same thing regarding
Gael
. He poses absolutely no threat to me, but so many people keep going on about how much they struggled with him so I guess he must be pretty difficult overall.

Another thing is that just because you get really good at a boss and start beating them consistently doesn't mean they're easy. I spent like 6 hours on Ornstein and Smough the first time I played Dark Souls. In the process I learned their moves and the right tactics so thoroughly that I have never died to them on subsequent playthroughs. Does that make them easy? Hell no. I just got good at the fight.

RiggyRob

Midir ain't a chump, but once you get into a pattern with him you know you're going to win - like in our own video I linked the other day, I totally knew what I had to do and I wasn't worried about dying to him at all, even with him having the extra health afar summoning Shira. It's the same in Nioh - you can see the weak spot and the pattern, you just need to do it with skill and patience.

The Judicator Argo/Spear of the Church fight though - now that's a terrible boss fight. It baffles me that FromSoft thought it'd be a good idea to make ganking invasions an actual story boss fight, with randomness at the core of its difficulty.

Midir ain't a chump, but once you get into a pattern with him you know you're going to win - like in our own video I linked the other day, I totally knew what I had to do and I wasn't worried about dying to him at all, even with him having the extra health afar summoning Shira. It's the same in Nioh - you can see the weak spot and the pattern, you just need to do it with skill and patience.

The Judicator Argo/Spear of the Church fight though - now that's a terrible boss fight. It baffles me that FromSoft thought it'd be a good idea to make ganking invasions an actual story boss fight, with randomness at the core of its difficulty.

They did the same thing with Old Monk with demons souls for the very first game.

Everybody loved that one.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Spear of the Church is a great boss, I'm glad they brought back the Old Monk except even more baller.

In other news, uh, why is the arena so dead already? :(

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
They did the same thing with Old Monk with demons souls for the very first game.

It's not exactly the same, since it can end up being 2 v 1 in favor of the boss.

More importantly, you don't get a cool hat after being the boss, so the fight is inferior.

NEO0MJ

While I have yet to officially join the covenant I was summoned to be the boss once. Too bad I was using a heavy weapon which made it more difficult and I didn't know that you could use the spacial items while you're the Spear of the Church.

It's not exactly the same, since it can end up being 2 v 1 in favor of the boss.

More importantly, you don't get a cool hat after being the boss, so the fight is inferior.

But you get little spear bits hovering around you, like Gundam!

I struggled with
Midir
pretty hard at the start TBH. It doesn't help my build is a Dark Pyro with Onyx blade but I respec'd and still had trouble.

It was probably the 14th or 15th run where I killed him in under 4 minutes. I somehow managed to stagger him and get in a riposte during his second stage and it took off a ton of health. I'm still not sure what I did to trigger it but it made the fight a cake walk. I had 13 estus left over.

EDIT: Watching some vids it looks like he goes into a downed state after using the big laser attack? I might have just got lucky and hit him after that.

It's always 2v1 offline. First the Painting Guardian spawns in, then the NPC, then a second Painting Guardian. I assume it could be 3v1 if you don't kill one of the Painting Guardians before the other spawns?

That it's 2v1 AND the Painting Guardians can heal makes it different enough to the Old Monk to be sufficiently more annoying. They all hit really hard too and have crazy long combos with poise (or hyper armour whatever).

I was up for fighting the Judicator so it was a bit of anti-climax first going in to this fight, but I appreciate that they added in another pvp boss.

RiggyRob

Never played Demon's Souls, and while the idea of a human invader being a boss is nice, it's still not the same as having a 1v1 duel when there's Painting Guardian Shivs and Divine Ritual Spears and Homing Soulmass flying around. Even more so if there's lag.

It's always 2v1 offline. First the Painting Guardian spawns in, then the NPC, then a second Painting Guardian. I assume it could be 3v1 if you don't kill one of the Painting Guardians before the other spawns?

That it's 2v1 AND the Painting Guardians can heal makes it different enough to the Old Monk to be sufficiently more annoying. They all hit really hard too and have crazy long combos with poise (or hyper armour whatever).

I was up for fighting the Judicator so it was a bit of anti-climax first going in to this fight, but I appreciate that they added in another pvp boss.

I think not being able to interrupt/stagger the Paintings Guardian is outrageous, it's one of the lightest armour sets in the game.

MilkBeard

Getting summoned a lot as a Darkmoon is fun but having to fight off constant Invaders in the dlc angel areas is hard.
So Darkmoon is getting action in the DLC? That's cool. I never had issues with getting summoned (was probably the easiest to max for me) but I know others had a hard time.

L.O.R.D

The GOTY edition is avaiable in stores in UAE

C9m7hPiW0AAUp8r.jpg

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
I tell you...doing dlc bosses on new game +7 is some **** The first boss fight had sooooo much HP.

Tesser

I tell you...doing dlc bosses on new game +7 is some **** The first boss fight had sooooo much HP.

I'm wondering how much HP a boss like Midir has on normal. I fought it for the first time on NG+5; wasn't that much of a problem once I'd figured out the attack patterns and safe areas, but even with the recommended player level, do they still have as big a health bar even on someone's first play-through?

Dahaka

Finished this DLC with my strength character. Wanted to check out the boss souls weapons like Gael's and noticed that I never "unlocked" Ludleth in this run. Can't be arsed to do another NG

k4eB2iA.gif

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Finished this DLC with my strength character. Wanted to check out the boss souls weapons like Gael's and noticed that I never "unlocked" Ludleth in this run. Can't be arsed to do another NG
? Can't you just beat the Tree and use the Transforming Kiln without him?

RiggyRob

I did the Lord of Hollows ending and didn't notice / haven't read about any changes.

Seems like a waste, even Ashes of Ariandel had Yuria talk to you a little differently (I mean, you did
kill her sister
).

You could say the same about the Artorias dlc from ds1,you kill manus and nothing else happens after that.

Haven't played it - surely that was a huge bummer for everyone at the time?

Gbraga

There was the slightly different Sif cutscene, though. For how important the things we're exploring in this DLC are, it's absolutely a sin that no one gives a shit if you're the Lord of Hollows or that no one back in the main game reacts to what you do and find there.

I would definitely enjoy a final cutscene, but I'm ok with not having one. But not even having some additional dialogue other than that shitty one in Ariandel is disappointing as hell.

But whatever, it was so bad that I ended up not caring anymore. I just play Ringed City because of the bosses and have fun with that.

Top Bottom