• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Huh, I thought it was supposed to unlock in around 5 hours. I went out for a run, and came back with it now at 13 hours left to unlock. Damn!

ezekial45

Banned
I'd be a bit wary of modding the game to 60fps. It seems like it would have detrimental effects on the online play (ghosts, pvp, phantoms, etc), and the overall flow of gameplay.

dani_dc

Wow, I did not expect this to be fixed so quickly!
Really doesn't paint a nice picture of From Software, real shame that they couldn't be bothered to allow for proper resolution.

With that said, amazing work Durante!
This news got me hyped enough that I'm actually considering getting the game soonish (birthday not far from now) rather than wait for a sale.

Thanks Durante!

Rumble19

Wow, when you guys were talking about modders changing the resolution in this game I thought it would never happen. I am SO glad to be wrong. Now I just hope a ton of people get to enjoy my favourite game of all time who otherwise wouldn't. Thank you Durante!

I can't believe this. I'm expecting Durante to run into some technical problems after further testing. Surely... it can't be that easy. (Not that I'm trying to diminish Durante's achievements, I'm just baffled by the whole thing...)

Eusis

I'd be a bit wary of modding the game to 60fps. It seems like it would have detrimental effects on the online play (ghosts, pvp, phantoms, etc), and the overall flow of gameplay.
Hopefully that one can't be taken online. If it did 30+ FPS correctly it'd be fine, but here we'd probably just see freaks in turbo mode curbstomping us. But it wouldn't surprise me if there was a silent post-30 FPS kick too.

dino1980

Some hours ago we went from this;

tqr13.png

to this :D

data2012-08-2319-18-3m8kbf.png

Cant describe how happy I am right now for this. :) Just sitting here smilling like a dork :D

Haunted

Everyone on the internet will be linking back to this thread.

Durante just made both From and Evilore so much money. :p

Any insight as to HOW you were able to perform in less than a half-hour what an entire team of professional developers were unable to do?

Of course they were able to do exactly what he did. All he did was to find the area of code that filled out the back buffer parameters and changed the values of the variables containing the horizontal and vertical resolution. Anybody with an understanding of native code and memory can do this. Not saying it's not a good job on his part, just that it isn't as groundbreaking as you think. They could, but they didn't.

So, it comes down to 2 possibilities:

1) They were really fucking lazy. I have a hard time believing this because it would have taken one engineer probably a day or two to add a menu with a resolution selection screen into the game.

2) Changing the resolution actually does cause issues which haven't been discovered yet since Durante's fix is still pretty new and untested.

FWIW, I defended From originally when the whole shitstorm was going on after the announcement, because to be quite honest #2 is pretty likely from a technical standpoint. So for now, I'm stick with #2, but I'll be the first to eat my words if it turns out to be #1.

Just seeing 1-2 frames of a game running in a high resolution in a single environment with no enemies and nothing else around is nowhere near enough to prove that it works in all areas of the game. Maybe you get to Blighttown and it slows to 1 FPS even with SLIed GTX 700 series cards. Maybe it crashes during boss fights or when lots of particle effects on the screen. It's alot more work than you think to test things like this. A few screen shots is quite literally nothing.

Durante

I can't believe this. I'm expecting Durante to run into some technical problems after further testing. Surely... it can't be that easy. (Not that I'm trying to diminish Durante's achievements, I'm just baffled by the whole thing...)
Well, something I did in the last hour somehow broke the intro movie. So I guess we're getting there!

Of course they were able to do exactly what he did. All he did was to find the area of code that filled out the back buffer parameters and changed the values of the variables containing the horizontal and vertical resolution. Anybody with an understanding of native code and memory can do this. Not saying it's not a good job on his part, just that it isn't as groundbreaking as you think. They could, but they didn't.

So, it comes down to 2 possibilities:

1) They were really fucking lazy. I have a hard time believing this because it would have taken one engineer probably a day or two to add a menu with a resolution selection screen into the game.

2) Changing the resolution actually does cause issues which haven't been discovered yet since Durante's fix is still pretty new and untested.

FWIW, I defended From originally when the whole shitstorm was going on after the announcement, because to be quite honest #2 is pretty likely from a technical standpoint. So for now, I'm stick with #2, but I'll be the first to eat my words if it turns out to be #1.

Just seeing 1-2 frames of a game running in a high resolution in a single environment with no enemies and nothing else around is nowhere near enough to prove that it works in all areas of the game. Maybe you get to Blighttown and it slows to 1 FPS even with SLIed GTX 700 series cards. Maybe it crashes during boss fights or when lots of particle effects on the screen. It's alot more work than you think to test things like this. A few screen shots is quite literally nothing.

This is exactly what im fearing because there is no way FROM is that incompetent, maybe they hit a wall with a pretty huge bug and decided not to support resolutions to avoid months and months of fixing/testing.

Again, I really hope that we are both wrong, I just want to play a stable game at 1080p, is that too much to ask?

GUYS! I JUST FIGURED IT OUT! You know how not telling you how to do anything is the hook in Demon's/Dark Souls? THE RESOLUTION LOCK WAS ALL PART OF THE PLAN! They've gone completely insane with their desire to not tell us anything about how to play the game that they've extended that mentality to include running the game!!!! That's some next level shit right there!

Top Bottom